Kensington Palace 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really apt. 1 is slightly bigger when everyone has said 1A is the largest?
I don’t think we’ll ever really know - this article states that 1A is larger. The Devoted Classicist: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Kensington Palace
1A is 4 stories, and 1 appears to be 3 stories. 1A is wider than 1. But 1 has that square section at one end. Plus it’s not entirely clear to me which of the two apartments has the section where they intersect. Both are large elegant residences, I expect :flowers:

I don’t think we’ll ever really know - this article states that 1A is larger. The Devoted Classicist: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Kensington Palace
1A is 4 stories, and 1 appears to be 3 stories. 1A is wider than 1. But 1 has that square section at one end. Plus it’s not entirely clear to me which of the two apartments has the section where they intersect. Both are large elegant residences, I expect :flowers:
Thank you! I was shocked Harry didn’t get apt. 1

Someone is living in Apt 1.

LaRae

The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester have lived there for many decades.
Isn't it funny, when William and Catherine were first married they lived in Wales and then when he left the RAF they moved to Ammner Hall. They lived an idyllic life there getting a good, healthy, country start for them and the kids.

Then came KP with it's proximity to schools, work, etc. It was all copacetic. Then Harry married and from that point on it was a given that there would be a proper home somewhere away from London.

The RR's began talking about York Cottage (never mind it was working offices and not easy to secure). Then they decided on Wood Farm (never mind that HM & Prince Philip lived there when the house was open to the public and Philip has made it his defacto home when HM is working at BP &Windsor).

Then came the news that HM had gifted them Frogmore Cottage and the RR's lost their collective minds and became obsessed with the ideas that they were supposed to move into Apt 1 at KP (regardless of the fact it was already occupied) and that instead the were being banished to Outer Mongolia (otherwise known as Frogmore Cottage on the Windsor Estate), for all the multitude of sins they could imagine. And it was downhill all the way after that for their imagination's were extremely fertile (pity they couldn't use what they wittered about to fertilise their new garden) [emoji6]

https://www.hellomagazine.com/homes...ster-moving-out-kensington-palace-apartments/
I realize this has been posted in the Gloucester’s thread, but thought I’d link the news that the Gloucesters are moving out of Apt. 1 & into the newly renovated old stables here as well.
I wonder if they’ll complete renovations/upgrades on Apt. 1 prior to announcing who’s moving in, or if they’ll let it stay empty and unrenovated until new tenants are settled on as they did w/ Princess Margaret’s Apt. 1A.

https://www.hellomagazine.com/homes...ster-moving-out-kensington-palace-apartments/
I realize this has been posted in the Gloucester’s thread, but thought I’d link the news that the Gloucesters are moving out of Apt. 1 & into the newly renovated old stables here as well.
I wonder if they’ll complete renovations/upgrades on Apt. 1 prior to announcing who’s moving in, or if they’ll let it stay empty and unrenovated until new tenants are settled on as they did w/ Princess Margaret’s Apt. 1A.

It might end up being the Cambridge’s official apartments for official duties.

The PoW might be moving Michael Fawcett into that apartment.

I can see it becoming part of W&Ks apartment, becoming a series of public rooms/offices for the couple. At present I believe they still use some rooms elsewhere at KP (inc some of Diana's old rooms) to meet visitors etc.
Given its proximity to Apartment 1A I would imagine it will end up going to someone royal or a royal aide/aides to keep up privacy and security.

It might end up being the Cambridge’s official apartments for official duties.

I think that is exactly what is going to happen. I'm sure it will be gradual - but I suspect it will be the new Prince of Wales court. The BRF are planners. With BP undergoing a 10 year "reservicing" - it makes perfect sense.

I can see it becoming part of W&Ks apartment, becoming a series of public rooms/offices for the couple.

I don't know. Maybe as an American I'm not seeing things clearly, but it seems as if the RF is constantly turning offices into living quarters and then turning them back when required.

Surely all this back-and-forth is not cost effective?

(Princess Margaret's apt. was turned into offices, then back so the Cambridges could live there. Same with Frogmore Cottage. And wasn't the same true of Beatrice's apt. at St. James?)

I don't know. Maybe as an American I'm not seeing things clearly, but it seems as if the RF is constantly turning offices into living quarters and then turning them back when required.

(Princess Margaret's apt. was turned into offices, then back so the Cambridges could live there. Same with Frogmore Cottage. And wasn't the same true of Beatrice's apt. at St. James?)

Margaret died in 2002, W&C did not start work on the apartment until 2013. That is a reasonably long period of time for the apartment to be repurposed and used as offices before being converted back again. Also, I am sure the conversion to an office would not have been an expensive one. A lot of the costs when W&C took the apartment back on were related to putting in new electrics and plumbing and removing asbestos as the apartment had not been updated since 1961.

Also, in 2013 W&C had 1 child & 1 nanny...I can see the need for additional space for their growing family & staff.

Actually, like royal wardrobes, I think its better to recycle and repurpose the rooms so they're in a constant state of being used rather than lying empty and dormant. I suppose turning an apartment into office space meant upgrading things to accommodate things like computers and communications which would also be useful then turned back into a resident apartment.

Being occupied is kind of like keeping an eye on things that go wrong and need fixing rather than ignoring the place until, down the line, someone can make use of the space.

Actually, like royal wardrobes, I think its better to recycle and repurpose the rooms so they're in a constant state of being used rather than lying empty and dormant.

That's true, but couldn't some sort of exchange be worked out?
The Gloucesters are downsizing; why not others?

(For example, Andrew's daughters have moved out and have their own accommodations. Couldn't Andrew have moved into KP and allowed the Sussexes to use Royal Lodge?)

I realize moving is a pain, but if someone no longer needs a larger space, why not?

In Andrew's case, he has a 75 year lease from the Crown Estate for the property of Royal Lodge and surroundings. He also put quite a good size amount of money of his own into renovations when he moved in. I believe the lease allows that either Beatrice or Eugenie to "inherit" the continuation of the lease should Andrew pass on. With this in mind, I see Royal Lodge as a York residence for years to come yet. ?

The Gloucesters are the only ones to "downsize" so far, the Kents still have Wren House and Prince and Princess Michael still have the same apartment they've always had.

For starters, is the Gloucester's report true, i've only seen it in hello magazine online.
Secondly, even if it is true I can't imagine any pressure at all has been put on the Gloucesters to move out - I mean even when the Michael's had the press saying they should move out the Queen simply offered to pay their rent for 10years rather than force them out.

Remember for some of the Royals hat is "simply an apartment" is actually a family home even if the family only rent it (even for a peppercorn rent)

That's true, but couldn't some sort of exchange be worked out?
The Gloucesters are downsizing; why not others?

(For example, Andrew's daughters have moved out and have their own accommodations. Couldn't Andrew have moved into KP and allowed the Sussexes to use Royal Lodge?)

I realize moving is a pain, but if someone no longer needs a larger space, why not?

Why should Andrew move out of Royal Lodge? There are plenty of suitable homes, and H&M have been housed in a suitable home.

Why should Andrew move out of Royal Lodge? There are plenty of suitable homes, and H&M have been housed in a suitable home.

I don't think the Queen would move her son in favour of a grandson. As another poster also noted, Andrew has spent personal money on the property.I do not think anybody would have been asked to move out
of their home , unless they had stated a desire to.

The thing is that its really not up to the Queen as to who moves where and pays how much or whatever. Leases and agreements are made through the Crown Estate who manage the properties such as Kensington Palace. The Queen may request a peppercorn rent for those that have spent years supporting the monarchy for her or even offer to pay the rent on the residence even but she cannot and will not ever have the power of eviction on Crown Estate properties. The Crown Estate is an entity in and of itself.

At least that's how I see it. If I'm wrong anywhere, I'm sure someone who knows more will correct me. :D

The thing is that its really not up to the Queen as to who moves where and pays how much or whatever. Leases and agreements are made through the Crown Estate who manage the properties such as Kensington Palace. The Queen may request a peppercorn rent for those that have spent years supporting the monarchy for her or even offer to pay the rent on the residence even but she cannot and will not ever have the power of eviction on Crown Estate properties. The Crown Estate is an entity in and of itself.

At least that's how I see it. If I'm wrong anywhere, I'm sure someone who knows more will correct me. :D

The difference is that some of these properties have been leased from the CRown Estate at commercial, arms length rates, as was the case for Royal Lodge and Bagshot Park. On the other hand, properties like those occupied by the Gloucesters are not leased from the Crown Estate, and no rents are payable on those.

The Crown Estate does not lease out the royal palaces, in that sense Royal Lodge, Bagshot etc are in a different categoryas they are owned by The Crown Estate and leased out in a proper commercial way.

Kensington Palace is managed by the Royal Household and Historic Royal Palaces (an independent charity that manages unoccupied royal residences for the government) for the State Rooms and some office areas. Working members of the RF do not pay more than a nominal peppercorn rent for living in KP or St James or BP as it is their official residence whereas they do pay and have proper commercial agreements with the Crown Estates for 'private residences' (Royal Lodge, Bagshot, Thatched Lodge) or other arrangements, e.g Anne was given Gatcombe as a wedding present from HM and Philip.
As such grants of official residences are approved by HM she does, in that sense, have a say over who goes where.

Thanks tommy for explaining things better than I tried to.

Sometimes I think people find it easier to scream "taxpayer money" for funding everything with the British royal family. Getting to know and understand the ins and outs of things, like royal residences, can get quite confusing at times for the best of us.

I think the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester are great to downsize; they show up people like Princess Margaret and the Queen Mum who held on to large homes until the end.

The Gloucesters are the only ones to "downsize" so far, the Kents still have Wren House and Prince and Princess Michael still have the same apartment they've always had.

For starters, is the Gloucester's report true, i've only seen it in hello magazine online.
Secondly, even if it is true I can't imagine any pressure at all has been put on the Gloucesters to move out - I mean even when the Michael's had the press saying they should move out the Queen simply offered to pay their rent for 10years rather than force them out.

Remember for some of the Royals hat is "simply an apartment" is actually a family home even if the family only rent it (even for a peppercorn rent)

I don't think it is good to compare Duke and Duchess of Gloucester: Apartment 1 to Duke and Duchess of Kent: Wren House or even Prince and Princess Michael of Kent: Apartment 10.
The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester: Apartment 1 is a 20 room apartment. With all of their children grown up and are living with their own families, this 20 room apartment is too big for them. Meanwhile, Old Stables is not too shabby for the Queen's Cousin.
The Duke and Duchess of Kent: Wren House is one of the smaller residences at Kensington Palace. This 2 storey cottage was once a shelter of palace staff.
Prince and Princess Michael of Kent: Apartment 10 is a 10 room apartment and it's been their home for over 20 years having paid by the Queen initially. But since 2010, they have been renting it with their own money.

But at what cost?
Every day the press has a new story about the cost of the renovations.

If people just switched around, it's possible so much renovation wouldn't be necessary.

But where would Andrew go?

Ultimately somewhere else would be needed anyway for Andrew to be moved into, so there is not cost savings, simply H&M wouldn't be faced with such criticism but Andrew would.

I don't think it is good to compare Duke and Duchess of Gloucester: Apartment 1 to Duke and Duchess of Kent: Wren House or even Prince and Princess Michael of Kent: Apartment 10.
The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester: Apartment 1 is a 20 room apartment. With all of their children grown up and are living with their own families, this 20 room apartment is too big for them. Meanwhile, Old Stables is not too shabby for the Queen's Cousin.
The Duke and Duchess of Kent: Wren House is one of the smaller residences at Kensington Palace. This 2 storey cottage was once a shelter of palace staff.
Prince and Princess Michael of Kent: Apartment 10 is a 10 room apartment and it's been their home for over 20 years having paid by the Queen initially. But since 2010, they have been renting it with their own money.

I've read in other places that Wren House is one of the best apartments/residences available. No-one really knows and much of it is a matter of opinion.

The point still stands that I don't think HM would ever force her family out of a residence they have lived in, especially when they have lived there for so long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom