Kensington Palace 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im so confused. What's up with all the "poor Harry" stuff? As far as I know he's a grown man who "poor him" is living in a cottage at KP? If he was not happy with that he would rent another home just like his brother did. (Also, can't really complain that William rented a house in wales. You know.. he worked there. Would not really work for him to take the helicopter from CH to work would it? And since his rented place was off the secure palace areas he probably had to accomodate for sleeping places etc for security hence a bigger place)

Harrys living in the cottage is probably "temporary" just like it was for William and Kate. It's near the officies and secure and works great for a bachelor.

Euginie (while not married or engaged) is clearly closer to marrige than Harry, hence she is probably thinking of more of a family home while harry isn't even dating so he's probably not thinking that far, and when/if he gets a family I'm sure he'll move.

I don't see what the issue is?

Wonderful post. You summarized everything very well. I'm also laughing at the idea of William commuting from London to Wales on a daily basis. Amusing mental image.

Does anyone know with certainty that Harry moved out of Nott Cott as rumored last year? He was to move into one of the KP apartments, according to the tabs. I don't remember anything being said that it did happen.
Anyway, if he is still in the cottage and Eugenie is moving into Ivy cottage, I think they will be right around the corner of that block of buildings from one another.
I attached a screen grab of the google map locations for Nott and Ivy cottages, though that does not mean those locations are accurate. Comments welcome.

Thank you for the map photo AdmirerUS. At times I forget that Kensington Palace is than just the main apartments.

Here's part of the interview summary that The Mirror wrote:

He also revealed that he struggles with the low ceilings in his cottage, teasing the diminutive Ant and Dec: “Weirdly, the ceiling’s perfect for you guys.” And bending over, Harry added: “You have to get used to walking like this but it’s great.”

As the banter *continued, it became clear Harry spends plenty of time at William’s. His brother revealed he “comes and scrounges food”.

William also *revealed the room they were interviewed in was used as an art studio and he and Kate would see naked models through its windows from the cottage. He said: “They painted lots of, er, naked portraits in here.

“We used to look out from Nottingham Cottage and there’d be some guy at the window... I’m like, ‘Urgh, that’s not normal.’”

So yes, my memory was right. And Harry does live there. The British tabloids last year must have lied when they said he moved.
:lol:Ah the views must have been "breathtaking" at times.

I had imagined Kensington Palace as Prince's court with just William and Harry and their families living there and having their offices there under King Charles.

I had imagined Kensington Palace as Prince's court with just William and Harry and their families living there and having their offices there under King Charles.

In time, household of the 2 brothers will have to split in two separate ones with William's being funded from Duchy of Cornwall and Harry's from his father but that won't happen until the accession of Charles as King and William as Duke of Cornwall.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I don't mind debate. I've debated you several times, on various issues.What I do mind is ridicule of others.

Royal Rob suggested a larger apartment at KP. for Harry. I agree. Whether it will happen this year, next year or in ten years time is in the lap of the gods. You don't know where Harry will be living in ten years time and neither do I.

Last edited by a moderator:
A number of bickering, argumentative, baiting and/or speculative posts have been deleted or edited. It is unpleasant and disruptive for other members to read back and forth arguing all the time. Let's keep the discussion respectful and conducted in a mature manner.

Please also avoid unnecessary comparisons between members of the Royal Family - their individual accommodation requirements will differ according to their specific preference and/or requirements.

Last edited:
It seems that there is a move away from St. James Palace to Kensington Palace. Is it nicer? St. James looks dreary from the outside. (Of course Clarence House is part of it and it isn't dreary!)

I would think that many of the junior royals would want to be at KP. Security is already in place for Charles's boys. It would save Andrew some of the expenses he is currently incurring for the York girls' security.

I thought Kensington Palace was beautiful when I saw it on a visit to London.

Sadly, when I visited London back in 2012, I was not fortunate enoough to visit the palace. I could only get an outer sneak peek. Plus, I seem to remember that there were some renovations going on at that time.

I really have no clue but I do know from reading through this thread that if one takes a public tour of KP, one of the places you can see is Victoria's bedroom. I believe she spent most of her life there until the time came when as Queen, she moved her residence to Buckingham Palace as the first monarch to use it.

I dont know if this is under instructions from the Cambridge's ot not, but what I do know is that that side of KP is very exposed from the street, and anybody walking along the street can get a good look at the coming and goings at KP. If I was a resident of KP, I would be quite please with the extra privacy and security this hedge would provide.

It is not even the side of the palace where Apt 1a is. The Cambridges are on the south side of the palace and there is a walled garden. It is quite possible that the Cambridges had nothing to do with the hedge.

It's being paid for by the Sovereign Grant, which means its the under the direction of the Royal Household.

William and Catherine are just a better headline

Last edited:
It appears that the hedge is designed to protect the large green space between Palace Avenue and Kensington Palace Gardens. Since there's a public roadway running between the two (mostly pedestrian but it looks like they may park cars there), I rather suspect that it's to avoid more pictures being taken of anyone playing or walking on that green space.

Kensington Palace Gardens is closed to unauthorised vehicle traffic, but reportedly is accessible by foot and while there are a line of trees between it and the green space, they appear from the pictures and Google Maps to be deciduous.

Rebecca English mentioned this morning that William and Harry played in the green space in question as children.

Ultimately, the hedge will give the inhabitants of KP a private outdoor space that is much larger than any of the walled gardens.

I'm only a bit surprised to not see a similar hedge planted along the east side of Perk's Field, where members of the public routinely take helicopter pictures.

This story is rubbish. From old pictures, you can see there was already a hedge along that way. Not sure if they replanted some recently.

Besides Kate and will have a walled garden for privacy.

Then there is the whole that is billionaires row. There is high security on that road. Cars, like paps, can't simply go down the street, they have to be cleared by guards. As do pedestrians. The road is home to several embassies or ambassadors homes as well ass billionaires so the security is high.

There are parts of Kensington where you could be worried about public attention. This is not one of them.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...st-expensive-street-kensington-palace-gardens

William and Harry lived in a different part of KP as kid from where the Cambridges live now. Just because W&H played there as boys ,it doesn't mean George and Charlotte will play there.

There are many royals that live in KP and the hedge could have been in the works as part of a general plan to upgrade the palace. Notice how there are not any pictures showing the new hedge with relationship to Apt 1a because they don't face each other

William and Harry lived in a different part of KP as kid from where the Cambridges live now. Just because W&H played there as boys ,it doesn't mean George and Charlotte will play there.

There are many royals that live in KP and the hedge could have been in the works as part of a general plan to upgrade the palace. Notice how there are not any pictures showing the new hedge with relationship to Apt 1a because they don't face each other

We're talking a literally 1 minute walk from either 8/9 or 1A to the field.

And the Mail has actually provided a picture showing the new hedge with the relationship to both apartments. http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/01/28/12/3C96EACC00000578-0-image-a-14_1485605578318.jpg

And while you can't drive cars down that private street, the number of embassies along it require the guards at either end to allow pedestrians (all of whom have cell phone cameras) to access the road, in order to visit the embassies in question. Someone took a picture from that road in order to illustrate the Express story.

Honestly, I'm unclear why it's controversial to suggest that the hedge is being planted in relation to the privacy of the Cambridges, given that - as I said - it will provide a large private green space for all the residents of KP, which includes the Cambridges.

It's annoying because there is no proof that the Cambridges were even involved with the hedge planting but the stories all lead with W&K spend 20K of taxpayer money on hedge. It like when they run the helicopter cost outrage story. They only target select royals even when all the royals use the helicopter. It's click bait. The outrage of Kate using the helicopter to attend an official engagement will get more clicks than reporting that Sophie or Anne used the same helicopter.

It's annoying because there is no proof that the Cambridges were even involved with the hedge planting but the stories all lead with W&K spend 20K of taxpayer money on hedge. It like when they run the helicopter cost outrage story. They only target select royals even when all the royals use the helicopter. It's click bait. The outrage of Kate using the helicopter to attend an official engagement will get more clicks than reporting that Sophie or Anne used the same helicopter.

The helicopter 'they attack only the Cambridges when all royaks use it' really needs to end :bang: they all get criticized for using it, every one of them when they use it. I could post links if I wanted to waste time.

But the hedge story they are easy targets. They are moving in and the changes are being made around the same time. The timing leads to speculation. So if course the papers jump on it.

Thankyou Dman. It's a bit misleading of Sebastian to infer that this work is to do with the Cambridges when he himself goes on to write that there will be a two storey basement for HRP staff and the storing of Collections. Still, what else is new as far as the DM is concerned!

This renovation will take a long time to complete. However, my mind leaping ahead here, what if a largish apartment at KP is planned for Harry in the near future and so office staff will be on the move?

He doesn't infer anything.

He poses a question in his title. Click bait at best.

The article doesn't put any cost blaim on the couple. And mentions all the royals who live there. Harry and Eugenie and their partners get just as much mention, in the crowding comment. Enough of it to go around.

Like any reporter, you go with the couple who will draw clicks as the headline. That's how they make money.

Thankyou Dman. It's a bit misleading of Sebastian to infer that this work is to do with the Cambridges when he himself goes on to write that there will be a two storey basement for HRP staff and the storing of Collections. Still, what else is new as far as the DM is concerned!

This renovation will take a long time to complete. However, my mind leaping ahead here, what if a largish apartment at KP is planned for Harry in the near future and so office staff will be on the move?

I wondered about that when they took back control of Diana's former apartment- if maybe the short term plan was to use it as office space so that in the long term plan, it could become a home for Harry and his family.

Back
Top Bottom