Historic Royal Palaces and Stately Homes with Royal Connections

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cardinal Wolsey spent lavishly on Hampton Court ,Anne despised him wouldn't surprise me if his paneling was removed it may have had his arms/monogram on it.

That makes sense. Presumably the occupants of Otley were at court in some capacity & able to buy it. Possibly even gifted to them.

Just found out - the occupants were the Gosnold family.

American posters might be interested to know that:

"Bartholomew Gosnold (1571-1607) voyaged to the New World, where in 1602 he discovered Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard, which he named after his infant daughter. In 1607, 13 years before the Mayflower landed, he was the prime mover in the Virginia Company expedition that founded the Jamestown colony. This was the first permanent English-speaking settlement in America. It has been said that the two voyages were planned at the hearthside of Otley Hall."

From Otley Hall's website.

Last edited:
Hever Castle in Kent has an Irish connection,its last occupent was Anne's Irish grandmother Lady Margaret Butler who was the last of the Boleyns to reside there.

Lady Margaret is thought to have died in 1539 and shed have been in her mid 80's at that stage.
https://www.hevercastle.co.uk/

Hever Castle in Kent has an Irish connection,its last occupent was Anne's Irish grandmother Lady Margaret Butler who was the last of the Boleyns to reside there.

Lady Margaret is thought to have died in 1539 and shed have been in her mid 80's at that stage.
https://www.hevercastle.co.uk/

Yes I knew Ann was part Irish. Was it Ormond Castle where her grandmother grew up?

Hever of course would have been a lot less grand than it is today. The gardens are palatial & there is that huge ersatz "Tudor village" built by the Astors of course.

It's a shame Hever was so disfigured but I suppose the Astors saved the castle from ruination.

Last edited:
Yes I knew Ann was part Irish. Was it Ormond Castle where her grandmother grew up?

Lady Margaret's family resided at Kilkenny Castle seat of the Anglo-Irish Butlers of Ormonde.

She pops up in the 2002 novel 'The Other Boleyn Girl' and is residing at Hever Castle ,her scenes from the movie adaption were sadly however cut.

She was played by Rue McClanahan.

Last edited:
Lady Margaret's family resided at Kilkenny Castle seat of the Anglo-Irish Butlers of Ormonde.

She pops up in the 2002 novel 'The Other Boleyn Girl' and is residing at Hever Castle ,her scenes from the movie adaption were sadly however cut.

She was played by Rue McClanahan.

Thank you. :flowers:

Kilkenny Castle looks magnificent. Definitely on my to do list.

Thank you. :flowers:

Kilkenny Castle looks magnificent. Definitely on my to do list.

The 6th Marquess of Ormonde sold the castle for £50 to the Irish State in 1967 as it was in such poor state of despair.
The castle was lovingly restored to it former glory.

Wilton House was once upon a time a convent called Wilton Abbey which was founded by king Egbert and survived until 1539 when it was dissolved during the Dissolution of the Monasteries.

Yes indeed & it was granted to William Herbert in 1544. Herbert had the good fortune to marry a certain Anne Parr in 1538 & so became the king's brother in law five years later. It is believed that stone from the abbey was used to build the new house.

Last edited:
Yes indeed & it was granted to William Herbert in 1544. Herbert had the good fortune to marry a certain Anne Parr in 1538 & so became the king's brother in law five years later. It is believed that stone from the abbey was used to build the new house.

There were a few royal burials at Wilton Abbey

Edith daughter of Edgar the Peaceful lived her life as a nun there and was buried at the abbey church in the 980's.

Edith_of_Wilton.jpg

Ælfflæd econd wife of king Edward the Elder and her daughters Eadflæd and Æthelhild.

Yes Wilton was an important Wessex settlement serving as a kind of co-capital with Winchester. It had a royal palace although there doesn't seem to be any remains. Along with the abbey, so much lost history.:sad:

At least Wilton House survives & it is beautiful .?

Last edited:
Here's a little more on Wilton Abbey and its abbesses,the last one Cecily Bodenham surrendered the abbey on March 25th,1539.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/wilts/vol3/pp231-242

A good read. Thank you.:flowers:

The abbey had to furnish knights for the king. That's something I'd not heard of before.

Enfeoffing & cartulary are words I did not know & now I do. Handy for scrabble.?

The abbess had her own private beer cellar:D

At the dissolution the abbess was well provided for. That at least is something although it must have been hard for the younger nuns & novices to start life anew. The abbey surprisingly appears to have been in disrepair. That would account presumably for the fact the Herbert built a new house instead of using part of the abbey complex as happened at Lacock & Forde for example.

It's certainly a lost world.

The on this day thread touched on the topic of Coppins House, former home of George V's sister Victoria & then inherited from her by his youngest son.

It does seem remarkably modest for the times for a son of the king. On the other hand the 1930's were a difficult period economically. Compared to Royal Lodge or Barnwell Manor it looks small.

The Kents did have a town house in Belgrave Square, which is about as grand an address you can have, so maybe they couldn't afford or want anything larger.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...ved=0CA0QjhxqFwoTCOjNkrCJvOoCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAK

I just received an email from the Royal Collection Trust saying that the royal palaces are re-opening soon:

We are delighted to announce that from 23 July we will welcome visitors back to Windsor Castle, the Palace of Holyroodhouse, the Royal Mews and The Queen’s Galleries in London and Edinburgh.

Of course the summer opening of BP and CH have both been cancelled for this year.

The Kents did have a town house in Belgrave Square, which is about as grand an address you can have, so maybe they couldn't afford or want anything larger.

The Duke and Duchess lived at No. 3 Belgrave Square, London.The current duke and his sister Princess Alexandra were both born there.

Photo from 1935
https://www.pinterest.ie/pin/367395282099303317/

I just received an email from the Royal Collection Trust saying that the royal palaces are re-opening soon:

We are delighted to announce that from 23 July we will welcome visitors back to Windsor Castle, the Palace of Holyroodhouse, the Royal Mews and The Queen’s Galleries in London and Edinburgh.

Of course the summer opening of BP and CH have both been cancelled for this year.

Why of course. At last Buckingham Palace should be no Problem to be opened.
probably this means also that HM will be going to Balmrioakl as otherwise Windsor would probably be closed.

The Duke and Duchess lived at No. 3 Belgrave Square, London.The current duke and his sister Princess Alexandra were both born there.

Photo from 1935
https://www.pinterest.ie/pin/367395282099303317/

Thank you for the photo.:flowers:

Thomas Cubitt built Belgravia & is an ancestor of the Duchess of Cornwall:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Cubitt

He also had a hand in designing & building Osborne:

https://www.rct.uk/collection/970320/osborne-design-for-the-entrance-front

Last edited:
That's an interesting connection.

I wonder wen the Kent's left Belgrave Square,possibly prior to the Blitz?

I don't know for certain. They may have kept the house till the duke's death. Marina certainly couldn't afford such a large London house after being widowed.

I don't know for certain. They may have kept the house till the duke's death. Marina certainly couldn't afford such a large London house after being widowed.

That's very true and with a young family possibly left London during WWII.

Why of course. At last Buckingham Palace should be no Problem to be opened.
probably this means also that HM will be going to Balmrioakl as otherwise Windsor would probably be closed.

They had announced the closure of BP and CH for the summer season last month. I am still waiting for the refund to appear on my AMEX statement but they did say it could take a month or so to appear on credit card statements.

Windsor is often open when the Queen is in residence e.g. she is there most weekends and the Castle is open to the general public. They don't have any access to her private apartments. It is one of the first things I have always looked for when I have visited - is she in residence and she has been there about half the times I have visited the Castle.

Windsor is often open when the Queen is in residence e.g. she is there most weekends and the Castle is open to the general public. They don't have any access to her private apartments. It is one of the first things I have always looked for when I have visited - is she in residence and she has been there about half the times I have visited the Castle.

Is that new? Because when i was there the last time it was still the rule that if mebers of the RF would be in residence that the State Appartements would be not open. Only the Lower Court and st. Georgs Chapel.

I have been into the State Apartments regularly since 1980 and the Queen has been in residence on many occasions.

The last time I was there - 2018 - The Queen was clearly in residence and the State Apartments were definitely open.

They would have to close the State Apartments more than half the week if the rule you say actually applied as The Queen usually goes to Windsor on a Thursday and returns to London the following Tuesday unless she has an engagement in London. She is there normally for four days a week now but the State Apartments are open 7 days a week, whether anyone is in residence or not.

This is what the RCT official website says: The State Apartments are open when the Castle is open, with a few exceptions throughout the year when official State events are taking place.

Yes fortunately (much more so than at Buckingham Palace) the great size & layout of the residential parts of the upper ward means that both the public & HM can happily coexist.

It's just a shame that George IV's great semi-state apartments can't be open when HM is in residence. They are outstanding examples of early nineteenth century interior design. Same with the east terrace & gardens.

The book of Psalms and bits of illuminated manuscripts are amazing finds, but my personal favorite is the empty box of Terry's chocolates ?

"The wrappers and tissue paper remain but not the chocolates suggesting it was hastily hidden by someone with a guilty conscience.":lol:

Still there was a war on - literally.

Back
Top Bottom