Historic Royal Palaces and Stately Homes with Royal Connections

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

When I saw the topic for this thread I thought, how come I did know about this when I visited Leeds many years ago. Now I know why, it's not in Leeds.

Thank you for pics, cepe, it is a beautiful castle and your pictures are fabulous.

Love the view with that ancient bridge in front of the building.

I'm glad you both enjoyed the photos. Just incase you and anyone else was interested, here are some more photos of the Palace, including one of Virginia Courthold's amazing golden bath:

Film Locations Eltham Palace

HereditaryPrincess and An Ard Ri, the photographs get lovelier and lovelier!!! :flowers::royalstandard::lancasterrose:

The oldest surviving building at Berkeley Castle is the round keep, completed in 1153 by Robert Fitz-Harding, 1st Lord Berkeley. Lord Berkeley received the estate from King Henry II.

A majestic Great Hall was added to Berkeley Castle by
Thomas de Berkeley, 3rd Baron Berkeley.

A succession of monarchs, from Henry VII and Elizabeth I to George IV, had been entertained in the Great Hall of Berkeley Castle.

:crown::crown3::crown5::crown7::crown8::crown6::crown4::crown2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cepe, I especially like the picture of the Tudor windows and chimneys.

Nonsuch Palace was built in Surrey after King Henry VIII destroyed the church and village of Cuddington, near Epsom.
Construction of Nonsuch Palace began on April 22nd, 1538, at the anniversary of King Henry VIII's accession.
The royal palace was built between 1538 and 1547.

The southern face of Nonsuch Palace had the Renaissance decoration and tall eight-sided towers at each end.

Nonsuch Palace was called Nonsuch Palace because there was "none such" (none like it) anywhere else.

Nonsuch Palace was completed at a cost of at least 24,000 pounds.

An oriel window with heraldic glass and Tudor paneling is believed to have been removed from Nonsuch Palace and used at Loseley House.

Wow. That is beautiful. I would love to visit and maybe stay a few nights. Lovely place.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using The Royals Community mobile app

At Eltham Palace King Richard II installed a ballroom and a garden for the Queen. :rose::powfeathers:

Eltham Palace was once a manor house in the English countryside.

In 1295 Anthony Bek, Bishop of Durham gave Eltham Palace to Prince Edward (the future Edward II).

In 1475 to 1480 King Edward IV built a splendid Great Hall at Eltham Palace.

Geoffrey Chaucer the poet, as Clerk of the King's Works, was in charge of improvements carried out during the reign of Richard II.

The French chronicler, Jean Froissart, described Eltham as "a very magnificent palace".

:articles::writing:

When Henry VIII was the King of England, a new chapel was built at Eltham Palace.

Henry's daughter, Queen Elizabeth I, gave the royal apartments a new west front.

:tudorrose::tudorrose::tudorrose::tudorrose:

John of Eltham (1316-1336) was the second son of King Edward II and Queen Isabella.
John was born at Eltham Palace.
He was named "Guardian of the Realm" when his older brother, King Edward III, was away from England.

Isabella, daughter of Edward III and Philippa, came back to England for her second lying-in, at which Queen Philippa assisted, and the child, born at Eltham in 1367, was named for her grandmother,

On the banks of the Thames River in southwest London, Kew Palace was originally known as "the Dutch House".

Kew Palace was a royal residence between 1728 and 1818.
Kew Palace was leased by Queen Caroline in 1728. :queen3:
It was used as a residence for Princess Anne, Princess Amelia, and Princess Caroline, the daughters of George II and Queen Caroline. :princess2::princess2::princess2:

In the 1750s, Frederick Louis, the Prince of Wales, used the Dutch House (Kew Palace) as a school for his sons, Prince George (the future George III) and Prince Edward.:books::books::writing:

The Prince Edward, the Duke of Kent and Strathearn , married Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld at Kew Palace in 1818.

The Prince Adolphus, the Duke of Cambridge, married Princess Augusta of Hesse-Cassel at Kew Palace in 1818.

Kew Palace was used to hold a dinner hosted by Charles, Prince of Wales to celebrate the 80th birthday of his mother, Queen Elizabeth II on April 21st, 2006.

In 1738 Alexander Pope, the poet gave Frederick, Prince of Wales, a dog.
The following verse was inscribed on the dog's collar:

I am His Highness' dog at Kew.
Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?

:corgi::corgi::corgi::corgi:

The Dutch House (Kew Palace) was used as a backdrop in the 1733 painting Philip Mercier did of Frederick, Prince of Wales and the Prince's sisters.

The Tudor palace at Hatfield was built approximately in 1485 by Cardinal John Morton, the Bishop of Ely. The Bishop became the Archbishop of Canterbury under King Henry VII.

Henry VIII acquired the Palace of Hatfield from the Bishop in 1538. King Henry used it for his three children, Prince Edward, Princess Mary, and Princess Elizabeth.

In the reign of King James I of England, Robert Cecil, 1st Earl of Salisbury, built Hatfield House in Hertfordshire.

Queen Elizabeth I held her first Council meeting in Hatfield's Great Hall (Banqueting Hall).
:queen3:

Hatfield House contains two portraits of Elizabeth I.
The first portrait is the Ermine Portrait painted by Nicholas Hilliard. An ermine is portrayed with the Queen.

The Grand Staircase of Hatfield House was fitted with dog gates to prevent animals going up.

The gardens at Hatfield House were restored in the Victorian era. They include herb gardens and orchards as well as terraces.

Hatfield House

640px-Hatfield_House.jpg

Hatfield House - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hatfield House, Hertfordshire, England

Hatfield House, Hertfordshire, England - YouTube

An Ard Ri, Thank you for the photograph of Hatfield House.
The English architecture is superb.

The second portrait of Queen Elizabeth I at Hatfield House is the Rainbow Portrait. Elizabeth is shown wearing a gown embroidered with English wildflowers. She is also holding a rainbow.
:tudorrose::tudorrose::queen3::tudorrose::tudorrose:

Is this the original palace of Elizabeth's childhood or was it rebuilt? I read somewhere that it was the latter, with just a small part of the original structure existing, and the Cecils owned it.

Is this the original palace of Elizabeth's childhood or was it rebuilt? I read somewhere that it was the latter, with just a small part of the original structure existing, and the Cecils owned it.

Baroness of Brooks, The present Hatfield House was built in 1611.
An earlier building was the Royal Palace of Hatfield.
The original Royal Palace of Hatfield would have been the childhood residence of Princess Elizabeth (Queen Elizabeth I).

Thanks for sharing these photos and information, CyrilVladisla and An Ard Ri. I've recently become interested in the Tudor Palaces, it's a pity that most of them were destroyed or lost. I didn't realize that it belongs to the Cecil (Marquess of Sailsbury) family, I've always thought that it belonged to the Crown.

Of all the royal residences, I've always been intrigued by Hatfield House since that's where the young Elizabeth spent her childhood and much of her formative years. Thank you for all the photos and links.

These pictures show how a Catholic monastery which was owned by Henry VIII and Elizabeth I has been converted into a luxury home with a £5.5million price tag.
Horton Priory in Ashford, Kent was built in the 12th century - although within its grounds are parts of a settlement dating back as far as the early Iron Age.
The complex was originally owned by King Henry I, but he later handed it over to the Cluniac order of monks to be converted into a medieval priory.
After the dissolution of the monasteries it was seized by Henry VIII, who passed it on to his daughter Elizabeth before the home was given to the Mantell family in 1970.
The Grade I-listed mansion is situated in 55 acres of land, and has undergone a thorough makeover to turn it into a modern home. It now boasts a private cinema, wine cellar, swimming pool, 11 bedrooms and even a driving range.

The King's mansion: Inside the £5.5million priory owned by Henry VIII | Mail Online

:previous: :D

Horton Priory looks lovely inside. I particularly like how it looks fresh and modern in some rooms, but still gives off that old Tudor feel.

Beaumaris Castle

Beaumaris Castle on Anglesey was the last of the great castles built in Wales for King Edward I by his chief builder. His chief builder was Master James of St. Georges.

Set amid meadows rich in bulrushes, with distant views across into Snowdonia, Beaumaris Castle is known for its great beauty of its location.

Beaumaris Castle was built in the spring of 1295.
The castle was built on flat marshy land.
The octagonal outer wall contained twelve towers and two gatehouses.
The rectangular inner wall contained four round towers (one at each corner), two gatehouses, and two D-shaped towers.

The main entrance in the outer wall to the south gave on to the sea at high tide.
The main entrance of Beaumaris Castle was known as the Gate-next-the-Sea.
The second gateway was called the Llanfaes Gate.

The Chapel Tower contains a magnificently appointed chapel with a vaulted ceiling and point windows.

:sun::reading::reading::reading::reading: :sun:

King Edward I and his chief architect, Master James of St. Georges, used the concentric design in the castle of Beaumaris.

Master James of St. Georges employed 200 quarrymen, 30 smiths and carpenters, 400 masons, and 2,000 general labourers.

Cepe, Thank you for the fabulous photos of Beaumaris Castle.

:wave::wave:

Approximately between 1150 to 1170, Robert FitzRanulph built a square keep at Middleham in North Yorkshire.
At Middleham, the keep was built close to an earlier castle.
The earlier castle was an earthwork motte-and-bailey fortification.

The keep's two storeys were constructed above a vaulted basement with two wells.
The ground floor was occupied by a large kitchen and an extensive cellar-pantry.

From 1270 onward, Middleham Castle was owned by the Neville family.
The castle's four towers were built and gradually developed in stages from the 13th to the 15th centuries.

:castle2::castle2::castle2::castle2:

In the late 14th century, Ralph Neville, created Earl of Westmoreland by King Richard II, constructed a series of residential chambers within the castle's thick curtain wall to supplement the accommodation provided in the keep.

Middleham Castle passed to King Edward IV.
Edward gave Middleham Castle to his brother Richard, the Duke of Gloucester.
Richard and his wife Anne lived in Middleham Castle. They lived in the castle with their son, Prince Edward and Anne's mother, the Countess of Warwick.

Alan Rufus, who built the wooden motte-and-bailey castle, was a nephew of William the Conqueror.
Alan was known as Alan the Red.

Back
Top Bottom