The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-21-2020, 10:57 AM
Courtier

Yes Wilton was an important Wessex settlement serving as a kind of co-capital with Winchester. It had a royal palace although there doesn't seem to be any remains. Along with the abbey, so much lost history.

At least Wilton House survives & it is beautiful .

Old 06-22-2020, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Here's a little more on Wilton Abbey and its abbesses,the last one Cecily Bodenham surrendered the abbey on March 25th,1539.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vc...vol3/pp231-242

Old 06-22-2020, 04:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Here's a little more on Wilton Abbey and its abbesses,the last one Cecily Bodenham surrendered the abbey on March 25th,1539.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vc...vol3/pp231-242
A good read. Thank you.

The abbey had to furnish knights for the king. That's something I'd not heard of before.

Enfeoffing & cartulary are words I did not know & now I do. Handy for scrabble.

The abbess had her own private beer cellar

At the dissolution the abbess was well provided for. That at least is something although it must have been hard for the younger nuns & novices to start life anew. The abbey surprisingly appears to have been in disrepair. That would account presumably for the fact the Herbert built a new house instead of using part of the abbey complex as happened at Lacock & Forde for example.

It's certainly a lost world.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:25 PM
Courtier

The on this day thread touched on the topic of Coppins House, former home of George V's sister Victoria & then inherited from her by his youngest son.

It does seem remarkably modest for the times for a son of the king. On the other hand the 1930's were a difficult period economically. Compared to Royal Lodge or Barnwell Manor it looks small.

The Kents did have a town house in Belgrave Square, which is about as grand an address you can have, so maybe they couldn't afford or want anything larger.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAK
Old 07-08-2020, 10:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

I just received an email from the Royal Collection Trust saying that the royal palaces are re-opening soon:

We are delighted to announce that from 23 July we will welcome visitors back to Windsor Castle, the Palace of Holyroodhouse, the Royal Mews and The Queen’s Galleries in London and Edinburgh.

Of course the summer opening of BP and CH have both been cancelled for this year.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post

The Kents did have a town house in Belgrave Square, which is about as grand an address you can have, so maybe they couldn't afford or want anything larger.

The Duke and Duchess lived at No. 3 Belgrave Square, London.The current duke and his sister Princess Alexandra were both born there.

Photo from 1935
https://www.pinterest.ie/pin/367395282099303317/
Old 07-08-2020, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I just received an email from the Royal Collection Trust saying that the royal palaces are re-opening soon:

We are delighted to announce that from 23 July we will welcome visitors back to Windsor Castle, the Palace of Holyroodhouse, the Royal Mews and The Queen’s Galleries in London and Edinburgh.

Of course the summer opening of BP and CH have both been cancelled for this year.

Why of course. At last Buckingham Palace should be no Problem to be opened.
probably this means also that HM will be going to Balmrioakl as otherwise Windsor would probably be closed.

Old 07-08-2020, 01:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The Duke and Duchess lived at No. 3 Belgrave Square, London.The current duke and his sister Princess Alexandra were both born there.

Photo from 1935
https://www.pinterest.ie/pin/367395282099303317/
Thank you for the photo.

Thomas Cubitt built Belgravia & is an ancestor of the Duchess of Cornwall:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Cubitt

He also had a hand in designing & building Osborne:

https://www.rct.uk/collection/970320...entrance-front
Old 07-08-2020, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:

Thomas Cubitt built Belgravia & is an ancestor of the Duchess of Cornwall:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Cubitt

He also had a hand in designing & building Osborne:

https://www.rct.uk/collection/970320...entrance-front
That's an interesting connection.

I wonder wen the Kent's left Belgrave Square,possibly prior to the Blitz?
Old 07-08-2020, 04:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
That's an interesting connection.

I wonder wen the Kent's left Belgrave Square,possibly prior to the Blitz?
I don't know for certain. They may have kept the house till the duke's death. Marina certainly couldn't afford such a large London house after being widowed.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I don't know for certain. They may have kept the house till the duke's death. Marina certainly couldn't afford such a large London house after being widowed.
That's very true and with a young family possibly left London during WWII.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Why of course. At last Buckingham Palace should be no Problem to be opened.
probably this means also that HM will be going to Balmrioakl as otherwise Windsor would probably be closed.
They had announced the closure of BP and CH for the summer season last month. I am still waiting for the refund to appear on my AMEX statement but they did say it could take a month or so to appear on credit card statements.

Windsor is often open when the Queen is in residence e.g. she is there most weekends and the Castle is open to the general public. They don't have any access to her private apartments. It is one of the first things I have always looked for when I have visited - is she in residence and she has been there about half the times I have visited the Castle.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Windsor is often open when the Queen is in residence e.g. she is there most weekends and the Castle is open to the general public. They don't have any access to her private apartments. It is one of the first things I have always looked for when I have visited - is she in residence and she has been there about half the times I have visited the Castle.

Is that new? Because when i was there the last time it was still the rule that if mebers of the RF would be in residence that the State Appartements would be not open. Only the Lower Court and st. Georgs Chapel.

Old 07-09-2020, 03:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

I have been into the State Apartments regularly since 1980 and the Queen has been in residence on many occasions.

The last time I was there - 2018 - The Queen was clearly in residence and the State Apartments were definitely open.

They would have to close the State Apartments more than half the week if the rule you say actually applied as The Queen usually goes to Windsor on a Thursday and returns to London the following Tuesday unless she has an engagement in London. She is there normally for four days a week now but the State Apartments are open 7 days a week, whether anyone is in residence or not.

This is what the RCT official website says: The State Apartments are open when the Castle is open, with a few exceptions throughout the year when official State events are taking place.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:56 PM
Courtier

Yes fortunately (much more so than at Buckingham Palace) the great size & layout of the residential parts of the upper ward means that both the public & HM can happily coexist.

It's just a shame that George IV's great semi-state apartments can't be open when HM is in residence. They are outstanding examples of early nineteenth century interior design. Same with the east terrace & gardens.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The State Drawing Room at Dublin Castle last used for by a British royal during a visit by Queen Mary in 1911.

https://www.dublincastle.ie/state-dr...tal-studios-3/

The Throne Room last used by King George V, in 1911

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Room_2018.jpg