Historic Royal Palaces and Stately Homes with Royal Connections

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope that Mr. Kelley continues to be kept on as steward when the estate is bought. To do all that work without remuneration--he must really love the old place.:flowers:
Wow! Just read the article ... I second Mermaid's thoughts!

what a nice story. so much history in these old, stately buildings.

Devonshire/Fife House (Brighton) Taken Over By Squatters

Sigh.

Gorgeous Regency house, so it seems from the pictures.

The £1.75m freeloaders: Squatters take over King Edward VII's Brighton mansion

A band of squatters has taken over the country's finest Regency home, complete with a 'king's loo' fitted for visits by Edward VII.
Neighbours fear the Grade I-listed property worth £1.75million, in Brighton, East Sussex, will be damaged by the intruders who moved in over the weekend.
The five-storey home, which has six bedrooms and was recently restored, has been taken over by up to 12 squatters who are refusing to leave.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1093457/The-1-75m-freeloaders-Squatters-King-Edward-VIIs-Brighton-mansion.html

Do they still allow hanging and quartering in England........they don´t, too bad.

I know this is a stupid question but since the house has a history behind it, do they not have some kind of "Historical Society" that takes care of these houses and offers some kind of security for the premises? I know that it is privately owned, but you would think some kind of security would be provided for something that is so beatuiful and has a large part of that country's history!
Or maybe because England is so rich in history and royalty, people just don't think about preserving it?
This is the 2nd story I have read about squatters taking over a house like this.

What a weird situation, how can they "take" up residence of this beautiful house? Is this legal, and what insane legislator made this legal????

I tried to read a bit about squatters rights and adverse possession in the UK, but came away even more confused. There are evidently some rights of immediate occupancy that become a civil matter for eviction, but if squatters remain for 12 years, they can gain ownership. I can't see that happening here.

Beautiful and so expensive to recreate. Is Kenilworth Castle the ruins in the background?:):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope that Mr. Kelley continues to be kept on as steward when the estate is bought. To do all that work without remuneration--he must really love the old place.:flowers:

A heroic human being. Thank you, Mr. Kelley!

I don't understand the Brighton mansion issue. Don't the British recognize trespass laws?? Yes, I know about squatting, but in the States the trespassors have to stay for a number of years before they acquire "adverse possession".

17 Bruton Street and 145 Piccadilly.

17 Bruton Street.

17 Bruton street was built in 1740 by Isaac Ware. It was noted for an impressive Palladian front and a rich interior. There was a vaulted entrance hall, a fine salon, as well some very pretty ceilings.
The house was later acquired by the Bowes-Lyon family. As the Earl's of Strathmore it was one of several properties at their use. The London season was spent at 17 Bruton street, late summer/fall at Glamis castle in Scotland, spring at St.Paul's Walden Bury.
Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon left 17 Bruton street to marry the Duke of York on April 26, 1923. Their first child, Princess Elizabeth was born in this house April 1926.
The house was demolished in 1937.

145 Piccadilly.

145 Piccadilly was the first home for the Duke and Duchess of York and their daughters Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret. The Duke and Duchess restored the house to make it a very comfortable home. It was furnished with late-18th-century furniture.
This fine house was destroyed in the war.

Attachments

• sc000748d9.jpg
    sc000748d9.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 432
  • 145Piccadilly.jpg
    145Piccadilly.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 698
  • DrawingRoom145.jpg
    DrawingRoom145.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 2,049
Last edited:
Very interesting! I can only imagine what it must have been like for a young woman of society in that time. Kinda makes you wish you had a time machine! :)

My dear Vanya,

Thank you for posting these photographs of such wonderful houses. It is a shame they did not survive modernization or the war.

Marlborough House, which was the residence of the Duke of Marlborough, was given to Princess Charlotte, daughter of Prince George (the future George IV), and her husband, Prince Leopold as their London home. After Charlotte's demise, Prince Leopold continued to use Marlborough House until he Became King of the Belgians in 1831.

Prince Henry, the Duke of Gloucester bought the Barnwell Manor estate in 1938.
Barnwell is a Tudor manor house which has the remains of the thirteenth century Barnwell Castle in its grounds.
Prince Michael of Kent met his future wife, Marie-Christine while visiting the Gloucesters at Barnwell Manor.

In 1562 Sir William More began to rebuild Loseley House, his Surrey manor house at the request of Elizabeth I.
Elizabeth visited Loseley House four times.

Pembroke Castle is the only castle in Britain to be built over a natural cavern, a large cave known as the Wogan.
Pembroke Castle is the birthplace of Henry Tudor, the future King Henry VII.

Pembroke was also known as, or recorded in historical documents as:

PENFRO and as PENBROCH

:articles::articles::articles::articles::articles::articles::articles::articles::articles::articles::articles:

Pembroke Castle has been described as a certain Timber Castle.
It has also been described as a Masonry Castle.

Pembroke Castle was established by the marauding Normans in about 1094.
In 1189 the castle came into the hands of William Marshal.
Over the next thirty years, William Marshal had the earth-and-timber castle transformed into a mighty stone fortification.

:castle2::castle2::castle2:

Here is Pembroke Castle:

Panoramio - Photo of Pembroke Castle

During the reign of King Charles I, Pembroke Castle was attacked by both the Royalists and the Roundheads.

In 1211 Earl William, Marshal of England entertained King John at Pembroke Castle.
King John had "come to Pembroke to cross to Ireland."

It was at Eltham Palace that King Edward III rescued King John II of France when he returned to England as a voluntary exile in 1364.

HereditaryPrincess, Cousin Laurence was overwhelmed by the majestic beauty of Eltham Palace. He especially liked the aerial view (Bird's Eye View). :wave:

Leeds Castle

King Edward III and his first wife, Queen Eleanor (Eleanor of Castile), were the first royal owners of Leeds Castle.

I've been to Eltham Palace a number of times, it's a lovely place and would recommend it.

A short background of the Palace, written from memory:

It was owned by the Tudors in the 14/1500s; Henry VIII and his siblings spent most of their childhood there. The original parts of the Palace that are still standing today are the Great Hall, moat and a wall in the garden. In the 1930s, it was owned by a couple called Stephen and Virginia Courthold, who re-decorated it in the Art Deco style. (The Palace was considered to be "cutting edge" at the time.) They had a pet lemur, Mah-jong (as in the board game), whose cage had it's own central heating, sounds and smells (?) to remind him of his natural habitat. Nowadays, the Palace is owned by English Heritage.

Some more information about the Palace:

Eltham Palace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Eltham Palace London
Eltham Palace and Gardens | English Heritage

Photos:

Stephen and Virgina's Art Deco Hall ~ Bird's Eye View ~ Great Hall ~ The Courtaulds at the Palace ~ View of the Palace ~ Another View of the Palace

Cepe, Thank you for the fantastic photographs of Leeds Castle.

King Edward I had a chapel added to the Gloriette Tower of Leeds Castle.

The chapel was reconsecrated and made a Chapel Royal by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Donald Coggan, in 1978.

:previous: you're welcome. I love it!

Back
Top Bottom