Highgrove

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady Jean

Nobility
City
_
Country
United States
A look inside Highgrove, 1982
Tim Graham, in Good Housekeeping magazine.

What a lovely photo, and what a comfortable-looking room. It's too bad that Diana was never able to feel at home at Highgrove, what with Camilla so "conveniently" nearby.

PRINCE CHARLES AT HIGHGROVE

In the first of three exclusive extracts from his new book, HRH The Prince of Wales reveals what led him to garden organically at Highgrove,

Thank you, Skydragon. I´m looking forward to the next stories about Clarence House and Birkhall (and more lovely pics of TRH :rolleyes: ). Hope I can get soon this book in Gemany.

Skydragon said:

In the first of three exclusive extracts from his new book, HRH The Prince of Wales reveals what led him to garden organically at Highgrove,

The photo of the two of them sitting on the bench is just great! I don't know if I've ever seen one I like better. They so look like they belong together.

hornsen said:
Thank you, Skydragon. I´m looking forward to the next stories about Clarence House and Birkhall (and more lovely pics of TRH :rolleyes: ). Hope I can get soon this book in Gemany.

If you don't want to wait, you can order it from the Telegraph at the cost of 20 pounds. That's what I did, one for me and another for my sister's birthday. She's the gardener, not me, but then I'm the avid reader. :flowers:

Skydragon said:

There is a fabulous book titled 'The Garden at Highgrove' written by PoW and Candida Lycett Green. Abeautiful book sbout a beautiful garden. I have borrowed several ideas from it for my garden.

Charles takes to the wild

Prince Charles was due to visit an ambitious plan to create a wetland of more than 9,000 acres in the region today (Tuesday, 27 March).
The Great Fen Project involves connecting the Woodwalton Fen and Holme Fen national nature reserves to recreate the type of fen landscape that would have existed hun-dreds of years ago.

More pictures of the Prince's yesterday's activitires.
Gallery of pictures from getty and Gallery of pictures from ISIFA

Last edited:
On a much happier and relaxing note, I received my copy of The Elements of Organic Gardening a couple of days ago. The photographs are wonderful. I was amazed to see how many different gardens there are at Highgrove. All you need is a cup of tea and comfortable seating to thoroughly enjoy this book. :flowers: :flowers:

Charles is UK's new property magnate
12 Aug, 2007, 1328 hrs IST, PTI

LONDON: Prince Charles has enhanced his status as a rural property magnate by purchasing two farmhouses adjoining his Highgrove country estate in Tetbury, 150 kms from here, for over two million pounds.

The purchases of the two farmhouses -- Close Farm for 1.4 million pounds and Barley Court for 825,000 pounds -- east of his classical Georgian home in Tetbury have been disclosed on land registry documents, the 'Daily Mail' reported on Sunday.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com..._new_property_magnate/articleshow/2275169.cms

Cedar of Lebanon at Highgrove

Two judges and an ugly libel battle | the Daily Mail

Tree tears for Charles

For the best part of three decades it has been the most constant figure in his life. Cherished, stroked and frequently spoken to, it is said to be why it was love at first sight when Prince Charles saw Highgrove.
Sadly, the magnificent cedar of Lebanon outside the Prince of Wales' back door has died. And as his gardeners prepare to lop off the arching branches of the beautiful 200-year-old tree, Charles is inconsolable.
"On sunny days he loved to sit beneath it conducting meetings in dark glasses," says an aide. "It was his favourite place for relaxing, too.'
Visitors to Highgrove have been given the sad news about the tree's death by head gardener David Howard, who helps conduct tours of the pesticide-free grounds.
"It's always been the dominant feature," a sad Howard told one group. "It's one of the reasons why the Prince of Wales bought Highgrove in 1980. When it's gone, it will create a huge void." He added: "It's had a good life." Clarence House says: "Sadly, the majestic cedar of Lebanon at Highgrove has died. The gardeners are planning to make it safe by cutting down a number of the bigger branches as soon as possible. No firm decision has been taken as to what to replace it with."

Thank you for posting the article susan alicia.:flowers:
Really sad to hear that this beautiful tree has died. Cedars of Lebanon are wonderful trees and the big tree in front of the house made Highgrove very special.:neutral:

It's amazing the tree was 200 years old, but it's strange to me that it has just died. Why? The Highgrove gardens are so famous for meticulous care, love, and beauty. What happened? I am not educated in horticulture or whatever it is called about trees, but I always thought that a tree could live for ages with the best care, and this is Highgrove, probably one of the best cared for gardens in the world. :confused::huh:

Tree's are like people, some simply die. Conifers can be affected by disease, too much water, too little water, too much of anything at the wrong time in it's life cycle. It is sad, but not the end of the world. Perhaps they will plant a lovely English Oak in it's place.

The study/care etc of trees is called Arboriculture

Last edited:
The Garden at Highgrove

RUNNING an organic garden as elaborate as Highgrove is a complex and costly proposition — not a problem, of course, for Prince Charles — but many of the tips that he offers in the new book, “The Elements of Organic Gardening,” written with Stephanie Donaldson, are surprisingly simple.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/23/garden/23hbox.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for posting the article, Skydragon!:flowers:

Here is a second one from the New York Times:

Organic looks easy, if you´ve got a Royal stuff

Ordinary people don´t get invited to Highgrove much. Like many things associated with British Royals, the place is extremely private.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/23/garden/23highgrove.html?ref=garden
_________
It´s good to see the growing interest for the work of the ´green Prince´, specially in the US.

I found both articles from New York Times very interesting (thanks Skydragon & mila Ca!). The tips are indeed very easy and managable.

One more thing I learnt from the articles:
“Organic” is never out of the picture at Highgrove. The tone is set at the entrance by signs reading “Beware, you are now entering an old-fashioned establishment” and “This is a G.M.O.- free zone,” referring to genetically modified organisms.

I never knew about those signs, but I love them! :D

Thank you for posting Skydragon!:flowers: I always talk to my plants ( and they to me...;))!

As of September 1, Stockport´s local infantry regiment will be absorbed into the new Mercian Regiment.
A massive ceremony to herald the changeover will be led by The Prince of Wales.

Stockport Express - Prince Charles to lead ceremony that marks end of an era

The Nature of Royalty

Highgrove is where Prince Charles cultivates his organic worldview.

He calls it Sanctuary but it´s his sanctuary, a quirky small retreat of stone and plaster, blessed by the bishop of London and laid out as four semicircles attached to the cube in adherence to sacred geometric principles. The bowed wooden door has on lock but four wooden knobs.

washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines

I believe that Prince Charles was doing what most husbands do: making a little joke. I thought it was sweet--shows that they have a good relationship with each other.

I was on the Prince of Wales' website and found a wonderful link to a summary of the past year:
The Prince of Wales - Focus
In particular, I enjoyed reading about the month of September when the Prince spoke of the need for children to understand where their food comes from as he launched the Year of Food and Farming at Home Farm on the Highgrove estate in Tetbury, Gloucestershire. I think that Charles is a wonderful role model for good nutrition in world filled with obesity. It is alarming to me how many overweight children are out there who chug soda and eat candy bars daily!

Also, while on the site I went to the children's section and I have to say that I enjoyed it a great deal. My son also enjoyed it--he is 7 and has Autism and he loved, loved, LOVED the slider puzzles. He had a wonderful time with those! I think it is so thoughful of the Prince to include a children's section on his website. I would love to write him and the Duchess and tell him how much my son enjoyed the puzzles--but I confess I do not know how to properly address the envelope! Would it be:
HRH The Prince of Wales and HRH The Duchess of Cornwall
Clarence House, London
SW1A 1BA

Is that correct?
Thanks to all!

Prince Charles' garden at his Highgrove estate has won acclaim for its overall sustainability. Jeffrey Stann, a landscape designer in Chevy Chase, Md., finds inspiration in a more specific feature of the green prince's garden.

Concord Monitor - A temple built on inspiration

On Monday, Prince Charles will officially open a new store - his own. Mark Palmer hails the latest addition to Britain's 'posh nosh' brigade.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/wine/main.jhtml?xml=/wine/2008/03/14/edhighgrove114.xml

Thank you very much for the article, Gisela, I really enjoyed reading it - and how I look forward to my next trip to England...:flowers:

Quote from this article:

Now it has English and Welsh oak floors, with reclaimed terracotta tiles in the courtyard, where many of the plants the prince reputedly engages in conversation will be on sale.

End of quote.

I have to have such a plant - just imagine: owning a plant that has talked to HRH. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom