Hampton Court Palace

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hampton Court has some of the best gardens I've ever seen. Also, a really enjoyable tour of the Palace.

Some years ago there was a television documentary on the restoration of one of the small sunken formal gardens.
I believe this picture may be the garden that was featured...

pic from Wikipedia
reproduced under the GNU Free Documentation License

Attachments

• Hampton Court formal garden.jpg
    Hampton Court formal garden.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 2,055
That's exactly how I remember it. We've been there in May and June and the gardens were just magnificent. They even held up being viewed the day after going to the Chelsea Flower show.

Quite a magnificent position and have flashy. Gardens, too, I think. At the time I was wondering who was the host.​

In addition to the sunken garden there were long deep perennial borders in several other spots. Is my memory failing me, or is Hampton Court not home of The Vyne?

I wish that royal events could be held at Hampton Court. It is a very beautiful and majestic building with so much more history(a much older history than Buckingham Palace).

All I can remember is some event being held in 1995 in relation to CP Pavlos's wedding to then Marie-Chantal Miller(CPss Pavlos(Marie-Chantal)of Greece.

I am also glad that portrait of Pss Mary was returned to Hampton Court where it belongs. I hope it stays there and never leaves Hampton Court nor the country ever.

Last edited:
I believe CP Pavlos and MC Miller had their wedding reception at Hampton Court Palace. They decorated it with a regal Greek theme. There are some photos of members of the bridal party in one of the courtyards. I've read that even non-blue bloods can hold receptions there. I'd imagine it's quite expensive. I've also heard companies can rent out space for their functions, but I'm not sure about that.

Courtesy of Royal palaces-Hampton Court Palace Official website.

The Chapel Royal

"Courtesy of Oxford Archaelogy: exploring the human journey."

Chapel Royal, Hampton Court

Hopefully, there shall be photos inside the chapel, the Great Hall, other inside areas of Hampton Court Palace and also in the various gardens.

Courtesy of The Bishop of London's official website.

http://www.london.anglican.org/BishopOfLondon

"The Bishop of London-Richard John Carew Chartres."

:flowers:

It's a very historic chapel as well. Henry VIII married Catherine Parr his last wife there married on 12 July 1543 and his son Edward VI was baptised in the Chapel on 15 October 1537. I visited Hampton Court 4 years ago and I remarked at the time to the people I was with that I was surprised the Royals didn't use it more for weddings as unlike some of the other chapels within the Royal Palaces it is actually quite big and very beautiful, like a smaller version of St. Georges at Windsor in many ways.

Where dose Hampton Court Palace get its name why not just Hampton Palace also didnt the Tsars sister live there????

Hi Royal Fan,

The Grand Duchess Xenia did not live in the Palace proper, but she did live at Wilderness House, a 'grace & favour' residence, which is in the grounds of Hampton Court.
She died there 49 years ago on April 20th...

Larry

Any Photos also any of the Chapel Royal where Lord Frederick Windsor will marry Saturday? Thank You

Thanks for posting these pictures Dierna23. This chapel is gorgeous! The blue & gold ceiling is beautiful.

Love the work done in the Chapel!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the inside of the chapel, the detail is incredible. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgive what is probably a silly question from an American, but suppose the queen decided she wanted to live in Hampton Court, or any other royal residence she doesn't currently inhabit.
Would she be able to do so, or is that not an option?

Forgive what is probably a silly question from an American, but suppose the queen decided she wanted to live in Hampton Court, or any other royal residence she doesn't currently inhabit.
Would she be able to do so, or is that not an option?

Technically she probably could but these other places don't have the security etc and there are many people whose livelihoods would be affected as well as their homes. There are a number of people who live at Hampton Court for instance. Many of the people who work there live nearby so saying well they could have the same jobs in the home she gives up isn't quite that simple as their pay wouldn't increase but their access to work changes etc.

I wonder how much it would cost to rent lodgings in the palace? It would be fantastic to spend days and nights in such history!

Thanks to Santa, I found the fourth and final season of The Tudors under our tree a few days ago. Thanks to one heck of a vicious bug that's been doing the rounds, and nailed me on Boxing Day, I haven't been able to look at it until this morning. As I do w/most DVD TV Seasons of shows I love, I usually go straight to the Special Features first and on this one, there's a special about Hampton Court Palace, which was made to mark the 500th Anniversary Celebrations and is hosted by Natalie Dormer, who played Anne Boleyn in the series.

It is excellent!! We see the gardens as they were during Henry's time, the Kitchens, the Great Hall and that tapistry that starts this very thread. Also during the visits to the Great Hall, Natalie asks the Tudor expert who is her and our guide if it would be allowed for her to sit in the Queen's chair. The look on her face as she asks is priceless!! :D

I just thought I'd mention that for those interested in seeing more of Hampton Court Palace.

Back
Top Bottom