Hampton Court Palace

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Indeed yes huge changes. It's marvellous that it still operates as a fully functioning Chapel Royal. There was a series on the chapel's choir some years ago:

Henry VIII married Dame Catherine Parr on the 12th of July 1543 at Hampton Court, I assume this took place at the Chapel?

I'm not sure exactly. It would seem a logical place for a wedding but I'm sure I've read somewhere that at least one of his marriages took place in a chamber or ante room nearby rather than in the chapel itself.

I have a biography on Catherine Parr I'll have a read later and see if it sheds any highlights on the Wedding Ceremony/Service.

There's seems to have been a Private chapel above the Chapel Royal known as the 'Queen's Closet' not sure if it still exists?

This is where the Wedding took place.

Last edited:
Not sure if Anglicans use Private Oratory and perhaps it was built to be used by Henrietta Maria or Catherine of Braganza?

Not sure if Anglicans use Private Oratory and perhaps it was built to be used by Henrietta Maria or Catherine of Braganza?

It's too late for those two queens, that part of the palace was built by Wren for William & Mary. It was later updated for Queen Caroline.

I'm not sure about Anglicanism & the use of oratories.

I'm not really sure why a small private Anglican royal chapel would be called an oratory. It's a bit of a mystery.

Last edited:
It's too late for those two queens, that part of the palace was built by Wren for William & Mary. It was later updated for Queen Caroline.

I'm not sure about Anglicanism & the use of oratories.

I'm not really sure why a small private Anglican royal chapel would be called an oratory. It's a bit of a mystery.

Oratories to the best of my knowledge are RC but are more or less just a chapel.

While it may be more commonly used by Catholics, oratories simply refer to chapels that are not part of an actual church. Like the chapels at a cemetery.

There are examples of the term being used by the Anglican church, outside of the one at Hampton court.

The Liverpool oratory is an example. Its not in use any more, but was behind the Anglican cathedral, and used for services for burials near by.

https://www.gpsmycity.com/attractions/the-oratory-40301.html

While it may be more commonly used by Catholics, oratories simply refer to chapels that are not part of an actual church. Like the chapels at a cemetery.

There are examples of the term being used by the Anglican church, outside of the one at Hampton court.

The Liverpool oratory is an example. Its not in use any more, but was behind the Anglican cathedral, and used for services for burials near by.

https://www.gpsmycity.com/attractions/the-oratory-40301.html

Some stunning buildings in Liverpool. Thank you!

The Queen and Prince of Wales arriving at Hampton Court to survey the damage after the 1986 Fire.

Antonio Verrio. He's ubiquitous in large house of the time. This & the Heaven Room at Burghley House are probably his major surviving works.

The greatest loss of Verrio's would be the destruction of his version of St George's Hall at Windsor during the castle's reconstruction by Wayttville.

Verrio did have his critics though.

Back
Top Bottom