General Discussion about Royal Residences 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an even better photo.

Attachments

• ThatchedHouse_Lodge,_Richmond_Park.jpg
    ThatchedHouse_Lodge,_Richmond_Park.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 74
Yes. It has a lot of royal history.?

I can't see future royals taking up use of Thatched Lodge as its been let on a purely commercial basis by Sir Angus Ogilvy (i.e. not at a 'peppercorn rent' as some of the properties around Windsor etc are) and this was taken on by Princess Alexandra after his death, I can see her son taking it on after her.

White Lodge is amazing!

My sister did one of White Lodge's Summer Intensive course once and my parents went up to see her, but I didn't. I was jealous because I really wanted to see inside. The words "White Lodge" were spoken with awe at the local ballet school we went to.

Last edited:
Nowadays with some of the Orders the stuff has to be returned to the Order when the person dies (and where that particular Monarchy still exists).

It now seems clear that once Charles is Kin, the Sussexes will no longer be part of the much speculated "musical residences" which has been discussed on this thread. Charles will likely simply take over the Queen's current residences, and the Cambridge's will likely take over Charles' current residences, with the exception of Clarence House as they will keep their current KP apartment. In 20 years time, George may move to CH if he gets married.

It now seems clear that once Charles is Kin, the Sussexes will no longer be part of the much speculated "musical residences" which has been discussed on this thread. Charles will likely simply take over the Queen's current residences, and the Cambridge's will likely take over Charles' current residences, with the exception of Clarence House as they will keep their current KP apartment. In 20 years time, George may move to CH if he gets married.

I'd be surprised if Clarence House was left unoccupied unless another use was found for it.

I'd be surprised if Clarence House
was left unoccupied unless another use was found for it.

I hope Clarence House is not left unoccupied and had also forgotten that prior to the late queen mother and Princess Elizabeth/Prince Philip it was the residence of the Duke of Connaught.

Last edited:
I also don't think Clarence House will be left unoccupied. But I don't know if the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will move there when Prince Charles is King.

I also don't think Clarence House will be left unoccupied. But I don't know if the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will move there when Prince Charles is King.

Unless it's used as offices or possibly a grace & favour residence for someone senior in the government or military possibly.

It's too big for anyone other than the heir to the throne to maintain as a royal residence.

London Base - UK Royals

Does anybody know why Princes Andrew, Edward and Princess Anne decided to have their London bases in apartments at Buckingham Palace as opposed to larger and more private quarters in Kensington or St. James’ Palace?

It seems that after they got married and had families of their own they would want something more private with their own garden and kitchen etc...

From what I read their apartments at BP are rather dark and small and they don’t even have their own kitchens in addition to living in a fishbowl.

Anne has an apartment in St James' Palace but maintains an office suite in BP(or did until the renovations).It may have been a space issue as Princess Alexandra & The Duke of Kent have/had offices/apartments there and of course Charles had his residence and offices there post divorce. Now the Palace is also the work place for parts of the Royal Collection, the Marshal of the Diplomatic Corps, the Central Chancery of the Orders of Knighthood, the Chapel Royal, the Gentlemen at Arms, the Yeomen of the Guard and the Queen's Watermen. A lot of equerries and other military staff are housed there and Charles' office had some work spaces there as well.

Does anybody know why Princes Andrew, Edward and Princess Anne decided to have their London bases in apartments at Buckingham Palace as opposed to larger and more private quarters in Kensington or St. James’ Palace?

It seems that after they got married and had families of their own they would want something more private with their own garden and kitchen etc...

From what I read their apartments at BP are rather dark and small and they don’t even have their own kitchens in addition to living in a fishbowl.

It was probably what they were given, but these are not the main homes, it is for convenience. If they need an overnight or to change for engagements.

Other than the heir the royals get one home and an office/apartment in BP or St James'.

Charles therefore has Clarence House and Highgrove and Birkhall.
William has Kensington Palace and Anmer Hall.

The rest have a large home outside London and an apartment/office in London. They don't live there. They stay there overnight if they can't get home e.g. if they have an engagement at night and another one in London early the next morning they may decide to stay overnight.

Those others with homes in London have only that one base e.g. The Duke of Gloucester lives and has his office in KP.

Does anyone know who currently lives on the grounds of Lanhydrock House? Such a lovely estate.

I think Charles will retain Clarence House as his home with Buckingham Palace, the office and as they do in the Summer opening up to the public .

I also wondered if the long-term plan was for Highrove to pass to Harry.
The Cambridges retaining the homes they have plus Birkhall.

:previous: Highgrove is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall and cannot be passed to Harry unless it was privately sold and selling the property cannot be done merely because Charles or William wish it, it has to be decided by a board (I think). Selling that particular property for private use of a royal family member will be particularly problematic as I think that tenants of other Duchy properties have wanted to purchase their homes they occupy and been denied.

Homes for key royals when Charles is King

There has been talk over the last few years of who will live in which royal home, so I thought we could have a thread to discuss it all.

Last edited:
Here are my guesses:

BP: C&C, once the renovation is complete. Will continue to live at Clarence House till BP is ready

Clarence House: Unsure of use after C&C move to BP. Perhaps to be used as offices by W&C

Windsor, Sandringham & Balmoral: To be used by C&C, quite like the Queen currently does

Highgrove: To be used as a training institute or a Community asset, quite like Dumfries House is currently used

KP: Main London home for W&C

Anmer: Country home for W&C

Birkhall, Llwynywermod: To be used by William & Catherine

Royal Lodge: Andrew

Bagshot Park: Edward

Gatcombe Park: Anne

Last edited:
I think Highgrove will continue as Charles' country retreat after he becomes king. He has spent years lovingly cultivating the gardens and so has Camilla with her roses.

I cannot see him turning it over for use as offices or a community center, certainly not during his lifetime.

Would have thought that things will largely follow the traditional pattern i.e Charles and Camilla would live at Buckingham Palace/Windsor/Sandringham and Balmoral in rotation like the Queen does. Maybe retaining Highgrove as a weekend retreat

William and Catherine will move to Clarence House, maybe keeping Anmer Hall as their country home (and using Birkhall when in Scotland)

Anne, Andrew and Edward - houses as at present

Kensington Palace - W and C's apartment would become vacant - ready for next generation e.g.George, Charlotte or Louis when they are older

I don't see Clarence House being lived in by anyone other than William and Catherine once Charles becomes King and moves to BP. It would of course leave a vacant apartment in Kensington Palace which maybe earmarked for George in due course

The White Lodge is gorgeous! The Duke of Windsor was born there!

I believe also that George VI and Elizabeth were given the White Lodge as a home when they first married in 1923, but found it too large and inconvenient for their needs. Also Edward VII lived there for a few years with his tutors as a young Prince of Wales before he married Alexandra, and also disliked the house though I guess he disliked the set-up more of being cloistered with tutors and gaurdians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom