General Discussion about Royal Residences 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see Charles parting with Highgrove, since he's so fond of it. But so many other properties have more historic significance.

If C&C used BP and Highgrove, and W&C used KP and Windsor, then I think we should be okay.

In Scotland, I suspect C&C will probably retain Birkhall so W&C can have Balmoral.

Anmer will probably get let out. I am not sure how fond Charles actually is of Sandringham House and if he wants to retain it, or perhaps be developed into a Dumfries House style arrangement.

If C&C used BP and Highgrove, and W&C used KP and Windsor, then I think we should be okay.

In Scotland, I suspect C&C will probably retain Birkhall so W&C can have Balmoral.

Anmer will probably get let out. I am not sure how fond Charles actually is of Sandringham House and if he wants to retain it, or perhaps be developed into a Dumfries House style arrangement.

What is a Dumfries House style arrangement?

With Harry now off the scene, the only couples who will move house in the new reign are Charles and Camilla and the Cambridges.

A real shame to leave Clarence House empty though.

I can't see Charles parting with Highgrove, since he's so fond of it. But so many other properties have more historic significance.

The thing is that he will have to. Legally, that is. When he becomes king and William is The Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge, William will have Highgrove as part of his duchy holdings. Charles doesn't own Highgrove. The duchy of Cornwall does.

The thing is that he will have to. Legally, that is. When he becomes king and William is The Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge, William will have Highgrove as part of his duchy holdings. Charles doesn't own Highgrove. The duchy of Cornwall does.

I am sure if, when King, Charles wanted to obtain a lease on Highgrove from the Duchy of Cornwall, William would not object.

What is a Dumfries House style arrangement?

I should clarify. If Sandringham House is surplus to requirements, it could potentially be developed as a centre for hosting events relating to charities and the arts. Arrangements would need to be put in place for funding the use, but Dumfries House estate has successfully been used in a similar fashion. The key difference is that DH is owned by a charitable trust whilst Sandringham House is privately owned by the monarch.

A real shame to leave Clarence House empty though.

> I suspect the property would be earmarked for George or one of the other Cambridge children to use in the future.

> In the interim, it could be used as offices or perhaps a venue for hosting events.

> Irrespective of when Charles becomes King, BP is unlikely to be ready for the monarch to live there until late into the current decade. So the actual time period that CH is not being used as a royal residence will probably not be that long.

I find it nonsense that a Monarch has to live in Buckingham Palace and that the Change of the Guards Ceremony would not be necessary if that is not the case. One has only to look to Stockholm where none of the members of the Royal Family live at the Royal Palace and still there is a daily Ceremony of Changing of the Guards. And the use it as office and for most their official Events. And still it is possibily that most of the offial State Rooms etc are opnend to the Public for big Parts of the year except if there are State Visits or other big Events.

I find it nonsense that a Monarch has to live in Buckingham Palace and that the Change of the Guards Ceremony would not be necessary if that is not the case. One has only to look to Stockholm where none of the members of the Royal Family live at the Royal Palace and still there is a daily Ceremony of Changing of the Guards. And the use it as office and for most their official Events. And still it is possibily that most of the offial State Rooms etc are opnend to the Public for big Parts of the year except if there are State Visits or other big Events.

The Queen is most of the time of the year not at Buckingham Palace anyway: she divides her time between Windsor, Balmoral, Sandringham, Holyroodhouse and Buckingham.

I don't buy the argument about the change of guards. However, I see no problem with Charles as King, choosing to reside at BP over Clarence House.

The Queen is most of the time of the year not at Buckingham Palace anyway: she divides her time between Windsor, Balmoral, Sandringham, Holyroodhouse and Buckingham.

Prior to Covd she did spend a substantial amount of time at BP. Windsor at weekends, Balmoral in the summer, Sandringham winter. Holyrood during the Scotland tours. This has changed due to covid but also now the refit so going forward yes Windsor will probably be the main residence.

I don't buy the argument about the change of guards. However, I see no problem with Charles as King, choosing to reside at BP over Clarence House.
but he's not going to is he? I htought he was likely to stay at Clar Hse

but he's not going to is he? I htought he was likely to stay at Clar Hse

I do not believe any of us know what Charles is actually intending to do. It had been speculated for some time that he would continue to use CH as his London home and BP as the office, but there was an article in the DM earlier this week (posted further upthread) that suggested he would actually live at BP.

I do not believe any of us know what Charles is actually intending to do. It had been speculated for some time that he would continue to use CH as his London home and BP as the office, but there was an article in the DM earlier this week (posted further upthread) that suggested he would actually live at BP.

I thought that BP needed a lot of work at present and if Charles is happy at CH, mabye he will make it his long term London residence

I thought that BP needed a lot of work at present and if Charles is happy at CH, mabye he will make it his long term London residence

A 10 year long renovation programme is underway at BP, which will take till the latter part of this decade to complete. Any potential move too BP will only be after that. But I do not believe what Charles' real intentions in relation to where he will live once King are in the public domain at the moment.

And since Covid more or less at Windsor Castle!

I thought Clarence House was in a need of renovation as well.

I am sure King Charles III will be more than happy to use a splendidly restored Buckingham Palace as his main residence. At the same time, probably Clarence House will feel more homely to the new royal couple.

I thought Clarence House had been renovated after the death of the late queen Mother and prior to the Prince and Duchess moving in?

I thought Clarence House had been renovated after the death of the late queen Mother and prior to the Prince and Duchess moving in?

Yes Clarence House was renovated after the death of the Queen Mum and before Prince Charles moved in.

No royal seems to like BP much, yet it is associated with the monarchy more than any other place.

At least there's a British royal family that renovates and restores and lives in properties that have been around so long that they're historical and of national interest.

Other than the Queen buying and paying for Gatcombe Park for Anne and Sunninghill for Andrew and Sarah, it's been a very long time since any British royal has deemed he/she needs a spanking new, shiny palatial residence to live in. I believe the last time was when Prince Albert designed and commissioned Thomas Cubitt to build Osbourne House on the Isle of Wight in 1845.

Yes Clarence House was renovated after the death of the Queen Mum and before Prince Charles moved in.

That is correct. Clarence House was renovated in 2002, after the death the Queen Mother. That was 20 years ago now, and I suspect the building will probably need more maintenance work at some stage.

If as reported the Cambridges end up living at Windsor Castle I wonder which part of the vast building they would actually inhabit? Probably the present guest quarters to the left of the Lancaster Tower (bottom left on plan).

If the next monarch prefers to weekend at Highgrove then the present monarch's private quarters (bottom right) could be opened up to the public. Much of this area is of exceptional historical & architectural interest. The 500ft Grand Corridor with its incomparable art collection for starters.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...ved=0CAwQjhxqFwoTCJCqoPT9-vUCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAJ

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...ved=0CAwQjhxqFwoTCICa47j--vUCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAW

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...ved=0CAwQjhxqFwoTCJDsp5H_-vUCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...ved=0CAwQjhxqFwoTCNDm55__-vUCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

Last edited:
During the next reign, and even more so in the reign after that, it seems there won't be enough working royals to fill all of these residences.

During the next reign, and even more so in the reign after that, it seems there won't be enough working royals to fill all of these residences.

Entirely possible, and in which case, some of these buildings will cease to be royal residences. An obvious example is Malborough House in the Mall, which served as the London residence of Queen Mary in her widowhood. After her death, it became the HQ of the Commonwealth.

I have no doubt that Anmer House will, in time, be leased out commercially, as it was in the past. I suspect Highgrove and Birkhall may also eventually end up being leased out, and not have a royal occupant. Prince Charles, acting through the Duchy of Cornwall, has already given up the lease on some of the agricultural land around Highgrove.

I am also unsure of the longer term future of Sandringham House in subsequent reigns as a royal residence.

Thomas of Brotherton, 1st Earl of Norfolk was the son of King Edward I of England. King Edward II gave Framlinghan Castle in Suffolk to his half-brother Thomas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom