General Discussion about Royal Residences 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see Balmoral being given up. It is privately owned, worth quite a lot, and they work quite hard to make the estate self-sustaining.It is also a place the BRF enjoy an awful lot.
It is very different when you own it. Sandringham and Balmoral are private retreats that the all, including the extended family, love to spend time. To sell either would be out of the question as the monies raised would go into the Duchy of Lancaster. The government has its hands in the mix well and truly there.

It is very different when you own it. Sandringham and Balmoral are private retreats that the all, including the extended family, love to spend time. To sell either would be out of the question as the monies raised would go into the Duchy of Lancaster. The government has its hands in the mix well and truly there.
Why would the money raised by an eventual sale of Sandringham or Balmoral go into the Duchy of Lancaster when it's private property?

I completely agree with you, not only do they all like to use Balmoral, it is privately owned and there does not appear to be a need to raise moneys.

Where I disagree is that if there were to be a sale, the funds would go to the Duchy of Lancaster. Balmoral is privately held, it is not owned by the Duchy of Lancaster. It was bought back by George VI from Edward VIIII after the abdication.

I honestly believe that Charles will move to BP when the renovations are complete and will retain CH until that time. He understands the idea of perception and how it would look for all that money to be spent on the renovations and then the new king not to even live there. The optics would be horrendous. That said, I don't believe the Cambridges or the Sussexes will take over CH. I look for that to become offices or potentially guest accommodations. I believe the Cambridges will stay at KP until they ascend the throne and then move to BP at that time.

I'm unsure of what might happen with Highgrove and Birkhall, though I wouldn't rule out the Sussexes taking over one or both of those and staying with Frogmore. Though maybe they'll take over Highgrove while the Cambridges take over Birkhall.

So much depends on timing....I think the Cambridges really are happy with Anmer and would ideally like to stay on there so if timing works in their favor it may be that when it's their turn to take on Sandringham, Balmoral, Windsor, BP, etc. then one of the children could take over Anmer but there's obviously no way to know that ahead of time.

Clearly we'll see some shifting of properties over the next 10-20 years but ultimately I think we'll continue to see the reigning monarch living in BP, Windsor, Sandringham, and Balmoral while the other homes do a bit of shifting depending on timing, ages of the Cambridge children, etc.

I'm unsure of what might happen with Highgrove and Birkhall, though I wouldn't rule out the Sussexes taking over one or both of those and staying with Frogmore. Though maybe they'll take over Highgrove while the Cambridges take over Birkhall.

> The Sussex' are unlikely to have the financial resources to take on either Highgrove or Birkhall. Both are large properties that are expensive to run on an ongoing basis.

> Further, Highgrove is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall so if Harry wants it, he will need to lease it from the Duchy at market rate, which he is unlikely to have the financial resources to finance.

> Once William is King, he may permit Harry to lease Birkhall at no cost or at a highly subsidised cost.

> The Sussex' are unlikely to have the financial resources to take on either Highgrove or Birkhall. Both are large properties that are expensive to run on an ongoing basis.

> Further, Highgrove is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall so if Harry wants it, he will need to lease it from the Duchy at market rate, which he is unlikely to have the financial resources to finance.

> Once William is King, he may permit Harry to lease Birkhall at no cost or at a highly subsidised cost.

All very true, just simply thoughts on my part as I don't see Charles having much time to spend in either property once he ascends to the throne but at the same time, he loves those properties very much and I'm 1000% sure he wouldn't want them to sit empty. I would agree that the Sussexes probably won't have the financial resources to run one or both but thought we might see some agreement worked out for them at Highgrove. I'm not even sure if such an agreement would be possible but thought it might be worth considering. In truth I don't really see the Sussexes wanting either property but then again, you never know and anything is possible. Assuming that the Sussexes can't or won't take on either property, it's very interesting to speculate on what might be done with them and how they might be used. I can think of loads of uses for Highgrove, particularly as it is, as you say, property of the Duchy. Birkhall is a bit trickier since it's privately owned but perhaps there's other family members who might wish to work out a lease agreement for it.

Two possibilities for CH:

-kept on for Camilla if Charles "goes" before her
-Andrew and Edward move there from their apartments now in BP. If they kept their offices at St James (they moved there to allow from renovations) they would be handily located for work and stay. Anne already has her private apartment at St James but rooms for meetings etc at BP so these too could move over leaving BP free for Charles, Camilla and the Sussex's.

I think Highgrove is unlikely to be taken by anyone tbh. Charles wouldn't have time to live there as he does now but maybe they will keep it on as a weekend retreat and open the gardens and rooms more for viewing and events a bit like they do now with Dumfries House.

Birkhall with go to William and Kate and when they come to the throne maybe Harry or it may just become used for guests or a base for Anne, Ed, Andrew etc without the need to always be at the main house.

-Anmer will be kept by William and Kate until they become King/Queen and move into Sandringham itself IMO.

Last edited:
Now that Eugenie has moved into Ivy Cottage, during the next reign, I can now see Charles moving into BP, Windsor Castle, Sandringham and Balmoral (same as HM currently), and the Cambridges retaining Anmer Hall, and also taking on Clarence House, Birkhall and Highgrove. This would mean the Sussexes could retain Frogmore Cottage and move into the Cambridges' current KP apartment. Beatrice could then move into Nottingham Cottage. The residences of the Sussexes plus the York princesses would be settled once and for all then, with only William and Kate moving during their reign.

If she remains with Edo, I can't see them in NottCott long term. He's a wealthy property developer & I think their London residence is likely to be larger.

Charles seems to have a sentimental attachment to Clarence House,I might be wrong but I can't see him living at Buckingham Palace and may just use it as his official residence .

If the renovations are still underway at BP when he becomes king it gives him the easy option to just stay on at CH

Actually, I wouldn't be one bit surprised if William, as Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge, leases Highgrove to King Charles for a peppercorn rent. It will be Charles and Camillas "bolt hole" much like Wood Farm has always had special meaning for the Queen and Philip when they needed to get away. Charles has put a lot of time, energy and planning into making Highgrove sustainable and I think it will continue to stay that way with the public perhaps having more access to enjoy the property when Charles and Camilla aren't there. As stated, much like Dumfries House.

I would have stated I thought that Charles would remain at Clarence House and used BP as his "office" for official events and audiences before it was announced that a whole lot of funds were to be directed to renovate BP. I think Charles would realize that after spending all that money and doing all that work, it may be bad optics for the King not to even live there after its completed.

As for the Cambridges and the Sussexes, I think they'll just all stay put exactly where they are now with only the Cambridges changing residence once Charles passes on and William is King. The only ones that I think *may* get their own apartments somewhere will be Louise and James as they head into adulthood down the line. 20 years from now, we'll have a whole gaggle of young royals in young adulthood and who knows what will happen then.

Not sure where to post this but I came across a plan of the main deck of Britannia recently so I'll post it here.

Does anyone have any similar plans of the other decks?

Attachments

• Royal-Yacht.jpg
    Royal-Yacht.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 139
“What the Royal Family’s Homes Really Look Like”

Nothing really revealing or new, but interesting, nonetheless.

As for the Cambridges and the Sussexes, I think they'll just all stay put exactly where they are now with only the Cambridges changing residence once Charles passes on and William is King. The only ones that I think *may* get their own apartments somewhere will be Louise and James as they head into adulthood down the line. 20 years from now, we'll have a whole gaggle of young royals in young adulthood and who knows what will happen then.

I agree with this. When Charles is King, his sons and their families will most likely stay put. Charles will mostly stay at KP during the BP renovation, so we may simply see Charles taking over Windsor Castle at weekends, along with Sandringham and Balmoral. Not sure if the Cambridges would have much use for, or interest in, Birkhall?

I agree with this. When Charles is King, his sons and their families will most likely stay put. Charles will mostly stay at KP during the BP renovation, so we may simply see Charles taking over Windsor Castle at weekends, along with Sandringham and Balmoral. Not sure if the Cambridges would have much use for, or interest in, Birkhall?

Once King, I think C&C will remain at CH till the renovations at BP are complete. That project was scheduled to take a decade, may take longer. Nominally, I think Charles will take on Windsor, but I think he will continue to use Highgrove. I think Balmoral may pass directly to William.

Last edited:
Once King, I think C&C will remain at CH till the renovations at BP are complete. That project was scheduled to take a decade, may take longer. Nominally, I think Charles will take on Windsor, but I think he will continue to use Highgrove. I think Balmoral may pass directly to William.
Not a chance - "Sovereign to Sovereign" = No inheritance taxes. Virtually ALL of HM's property will go to Charles. Anything she leaves to anyone else is subject to inheritance taxes, which are quite steep. The Queen Mother left all of her property to The Queen for the same reason. Trusts were set up for her great-grandchildren during her lifetime to minimize taxes, and I assume that HM has done the same for her family.

Last edited:
The Queen will leave virtually all her property to Charles as it avoids inheritance tax. That doesn't preclude William from taking over Balmoral if Charles lets him.

I think the issue with the idea of Charles not using Balmoral is that the castle is needed to accomodate all the staff required to keep the Court going. Charles uses Sandringham House now when his parents are not there for shooting parties etc. I don't think its as simple as just saying he won't use Balmoral Castle ever and just stay at Birkhall. But maybe he will keep hold of Birkhall for now so he and Camilla can go and have private weekends but use the main castle for larger events with more people.

I think everyone will remain where they are, with maybe only Andrew and the Wessex's moving out of BP into KP or elsewhere (if indeed they have by then moved back at all as they all moved out during some of the renovations). I think Charles and Camilla will continue to use CH while the renovations are finished, they have left the private wing to the end as I recall and it almost felt to me (sad as it is to say) that they were perhaps waiting to just see if it would be QE2 or Charles needed the renovations by then.

I think Charles will use Windsor rather like I described using Balmoral Castle above - preferring Highgrove for private weekends but using Windsor for bigger events with more people.

My big wonder if where Charles will host his Christmas' - I wouldn't be surprised if it moves to Windsor so they can have one big day together then go their own ways before Charles moves either to Sandrigham (or Birkhall as now) Given that Camilla leaves Sandringham then goes to her own Raymill house in Gloucester, Windsor is closer to Raymill if she wants to continue that so she is in her own home for her own family's Christmas.

According to what is hinted at, the "satellite" royal country mansions each has a skeleton staff and, when the First Couple stays, the butlers and maids come out from the urban royal palace for which the national government is paying. So, I don't see how it would be easy for Prince William to take over Balmoral Castle when QEII passes.

Yes, the estate is still owned by the Duke of Gloucester but the house itself has been let out since 1995.

What do you mean by let out? I believe they are living in KP so it mean they are renting it? It is a beautiful manor.

What do you mean by let out? I believe they are living in KP so it mean they are renting it? It is a beautiful manor.
The house has been leased by Windsor House Antiques for a number of years.

Windsor House Antiques has a bit of info on their website:
https://windsorhouseantiques.co.uk/about/?SID=184beef495a78cf3603886c4ed78e214

Barnwell Manor, a former royal residence, offers an ideal opportunity to present stock in a period setting and is open strictly by appointment. The company is able to offer, in its combined locations, over 30,000 square feet of stock, both restored and unrestored, to trade and private clients. We also have a Helicopter pad at Barnwell Manor.

It also shows a picture of Barnwell Manor from the outside and I'd bet a number of the photos showing antiques inside a house are from Barnwell.

Windsor House Antiques has a bit of info on their website:
https://windsorhouseantiques.co.uk/about/?SID=184beef495a78cf3603886c4ed78e214

Barnwell Manor, a former royal residence, offers an ideal opportunity to present stock in a period setting and is open strictly by appointment. The company is able to offer, in its combined locations, over 30,000 square feet of stock, both restored and unrestored, to trade and private clients. We also have a Helicopter pad at Barnwell Manor.

It also shows a picture of Barnwell Manor from the outside and I'd bet a number of the photos showing antiques inside a house are from Barnwell.

Does Windsor House Antiques rent the house from the Duke or has the Duke sold it ?

It is nice to see that the Gloucesters have kept a proper estate for their non-royal descendant who will nonetheless be still peers.

I've never heard that is has been sold but that it is on long term lease so I think the Gloucester's still own it as well as the land around it. I've read in a few places that they farm the land around the estate.

I do wonder if maybe the Gloucester's don't have a small property on the estate they can use, a large estate such as Barnwell usually has some smaller properties.

My big wonder if where Charles will host his Christmas' - I wouldn't be surprised if it moves to Windsor so they can have one big day together then go their own ways before Charles moves either to Sandrigham (or Birkhall as now) Given that Camilla leaves Sandringham then goes to her own Raymill house in Gloucester, Windsor is closer to Raymill if she wants to continue that so she is in her own home for her own family's Christmas.

My sense is that once Camilla is the chateleine, she will not leave Snadringham or Windsor to decamp to Raymill to see her family, they will be part of the BRF Christmas celebrations wherever C&C are.

I can imagine that with all the downsizing over the years with the Gloucester's from Barnwell Manor to Kensington Palace there must be quite a bit of furniture and paintings in storage!

I can imagine that with all the downsizing over the years with the Gloucester's from Barnwell Manor to Kensington Palace there must be quite a bit of furniture and paintings in storage!

The Gloucester's, along with their Harewood cousins, auctioned off quite a lot of furniture in the last 12 months. Details were available online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom