General Discussion about Royal Residences 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Air Conditioning?

I may have asked this before, if so I apologize. Are any of the palaces or homes of the Royals air conditioned?

I may have asked this before, if so I apologize. Are any of the palaces or homes of the Royals air conditioned?

Often castles have quite thick walls which keeps it cool inside. Compare it with old churches: always cool. Most palaces will have a monumental status which limits the use of "disturbing elements" like airco's. But I can imagine that there are living quarters or offices with climate control indeed.

We have regularly seen images of the Queen's sitting room at Balmoral and she has a two-bar heater in there - in the old fireplace.

Many of the buildings in the UK aren't air-conditioned for cooling at all - given the temperatures there. I can't remember the last hotel I stayed in, in London that was air-conditioned although they all had some type of heating. I asked about this once and was told that it doesn't get hot enough for long enough to justify a cooling system but a heating system is a necessity. Some hotels and other buildings, as they have been refurbished over the years have replaced the heating systems with a reverse cycling set up so it can both be heated or cooled.

Given the Queen's known frugality I would be surprised if any of the palaces where she lives are air-conditioned at all - and the fact that most of the palaces haven't been refurbished during her reign.

With the planned multi-million pound refurbishment of BP maybe they will be putting in some 21st century systems (solar powered of course - given Charles' environmental credentials). Then again they may think that they are luxuries and they don't need them.

Windsor Castle for me always wins!

I can't see any royals moving residence in the near future, including Harry.

Not only is there already significant expenditure/upheaval with the BP refurb, but with HM and DofE as well as the Kents all at such an advanced age, a royal residence reshuffle will no doubt happen in the next few years anyway.

British Royals Homes

How does the Queen give homes to her family members? How is the lease arranged?

It no longer seems like with William or Harry will move to Clarence House when Charles becomes king.

Also with the news that the Wessexes won't be moving into a bigger KP apartment as expected, by the time William is king, there my only be Eugenie still living in KP,.

It no longer seems like with William or Harry will move to Clarence House when Charles becomes king.

Also with the news that the Wessexes won't be moving into a bigger KP apartment as expected, by the time William is king, there my only be Eugenie still living in KP,.
The Kents and Gloucesters could be very alive and well when William ascends the throne. I for one believe that the Cambridges will stay put at least until William is king and I wouldn't be surprised if they stay on there throughout his reign.

With BP undergoing major refurbishment, and the Sussexes moving to a new home, it could well be that the only changes in royal residences upon Charles becoming king will be his acquisition on Balmoral and Sandringham with everyone else staying put.

I think that is very possible, royal-blue. Why play musical residences when they really don't have to?

One thing that's occurred to me too is that when Charles becomes king and William becomes The Duke of Cornwall, they may even work things out that Charles tells the Cambridges to stay on at Amner Hall (he'll own it as king) and William will give his father the go ahead to keep enjoying Highgrove as his home away from home when he wants to putter in his gardens. :D

When Diana divorced was she allowed to keep her Kensington Palce apartment even if she re-married and her kids became of age? I know this is only hypothetical but if she was still alive today would you still see her living there?

Chevening as countryseat for Will & Kate

Anmer Hall surely was a suitable home and is now a country seat for William and Catherine, but IMHO it is too far away from London to really work as a weekend residence for them when the become Prince and Princess of Wales. I don't see them taking over Sandringham or Windsor, when Charles decides to keep Highgrove House (which was given over to him lifelong by the Duchy of Cornwall btw.)

William and Catherine could claim Chevening as their country seat once they become Prince and Princess of Wales. They have a first choice right as descendants of king George VI. according to the will of the last Earl of Stanhope whose family seat it was and according to the amended Chevening Estate Act of 1989. Charles lived here as a bachelor, before he moved with Diana to Highgrove. The estate supports itself (so no costs but those of their private living ) and is now only used occasionally by government representatives for meetings though officially it is the countryseat of Jeremy Hunt. (History of Chevening House, Sevenoaks Kent.)

As soon as the queen (or later king Charles) will require it as country home of one of the Royal family from either Elizabeth's or Margaret's line (though I don't see either the Snowdons or the Chattos living there) they will be given it. I don't see it as a home for Harry & Meghan, though. But as the main countryseat of the next Prince of Wales? Easily.

I can’t see it happening. They have made Anmer work up to now and as time goes on they will have 3 children of full time schooling age so need to stay in london for then to attend school (assuming they do day schooling for their primary education, possibly bording for secondary).
Chevening is very large and has been established as grace and favour home for the Foreign Secretary but also as a place to have meetings etc. I just don’t see it happening for W&K, i know they could use it as it was left foe royal use then government use but i can’t see it changing use now, especially given the millions (yes private money but still millions) spent on it.

I don't see Will and Kate changing their residences at all until the time comes and they're King and Queen. In fact, I think its been stated that these homes will be theirs to use until that time comes.

Highgrove will be available to William once he becomes Duke of Cornwall as the property is part and parcel of the Duchy of Cornwall. Charles will own Sandringham and Balmoral outright as King so its possible that William will tell his dad to stay at Highgrove as a bolt hole if he wants in return for being able to stay at Amner Hall.

So, I seriously doubt that Will and Kate will be looking anywhere else for a country seat as they already have one they've made their own and are comfortable living in.

I really don't see too much of a musical residences game happening once Charles becomes King. We have to remember too that most of the royal's residences are not owned by the British royal family other than Sandringham and the properties on that estate and Balmoral and the properties on that estate too. Anne does own Gatcombe Park but other properties are under the jurisdiction of the Crown Estates and in the case of Highgrove, the Duchy of Cornwall. ?

Last edited:
Highgrove will be available to William once he becomes Duke of Cornwall as the property is part and parcel of the Duchy of Cornwall.

AFAIK the Duchy of Cornwall has given Charles the lifelong use of Highgrove. So eben when William becomes the Duke of Cornwall, Highgrove will not be available to him. And once Charles dies, in all probability William will not longer be the Duke of Cornwall, but Prince George will be. Of course if Charles dies before his mother, things will be different, as William will not become the Duke of Cornwall at all.

Can you provide a source for this information? I've never heard anything about the conditions of the lease Charles holds on Highgrove.

ETA: Nevermind. I found the answer in the Highgrove thread and Jacknch's post #45.

"According to what is says, Highgrove was purchased by the Duchy of Cornwall and Charles was "appointed tenant for life...by the Duchy". It does not necessarily mean he pays a rent on the property or the legal agreement making him tenant is exactly the same as a lease. Remember that the Duchy is a legal entity in its own right and Charles is the holder of the Duke of Cornwall title.
When Charles becomes king, he may well decide to remain tenant of Highgrove or give it up to enable Harry to become tenant."

Highgrove House - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So you are correct Kataryn. :D

(Osipi happily crosses off her "learn something new today" box)

Last edited:
Anmer Hall surely was a suitable home and is now a country seat for William and Catherine, but IMHO it is too far away from London to really work as a weekend residence for them when the become Prince and Princess of Wales. I don't see them taking over Sandringham or Windsor, when Charles decides to keep Highgrove House (which was given over to him lifelong by the Duchy of Cornwall btw.)
Anmer Hall is on the Sandringham Estate, so if apparently Sandringham would be acceptable to you, so is Anmer Hall. Moreover, Anmer Hall is only 17 miles further from Buckingham Palace than Highgrove, so I truly don't see the issue. Charles is doing fine right now and William and Catherine are and will continue to do fine.

In addition, as others have pointed out. The Cambridges made it quite clear that their current living arrangements are meant to be long term and not change when becoming prince and princess of Wales. They have the use of a helicopter so going bavk and forth to Anmer Hall seems relatively esay (and something they are already doing). They won't be the prince and princess of Wales for London but for the UK, so no need to also have a country home close to the capital where they already live.

Last edited:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have use of the Royal Helicopter for travel to and from engagements (if needed) and to and from residences (if needed).

Who has use of Chevening is decided by the Prime Minister. Although is was once assigned to Charles, he never lived there and there is no royal connection.

"Formerly the principal seat of the Earls Stanhope, under the Chevening Estate Act 1959 (amended 1987) the house and estate are held in trust by the Board of Trustees of the Chevening Estate to serve as a furnished country residence for a person nominated by the Prime Minister, so qualified by being a member of the Cabinet or a descendant of King George VI. The nominee pays for their own private living expenses when in residence"

The usual nominee is the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs and Commonwealth.

I don't think with all the properties currently available, adding yet another one will happen (and it would be poor PR if it did)

The Canbridgea seem very happy and well settled in both their current residences. I just can't see them having the use for a third home just now. Even Charles and the Queen have only two "main" homes (the others being seasonal retreats).

Now that Eugenie has moved into Ivy Cottage, during the next reign, I can now see Charles moving into BP, Windsor Castle, Sandringham and Balmoral (same as HM currently), and the Cambridges retaining Anmer Hall, and also taking on Clarence House, Birkhall and Highgrove. This would mean the Sussexes could retain Frogmore Cottage and move into the Cambridges' current KP apartment. Beatrice could then move into Nottingham Cottage. The residences of the Sussexes plus the York princesses would be settled once and for all then, with only William and Kate moving during their reign.

The only thing I don’t see is H&M moving into 1a and Beatrice getting Nott Cottage.
I don’t see any reason for Catherine and William to relocate from KP to Clarence House, Nott Cottage again is very personal to Henry and Meghan.

While I think we'll see Charles taking up residence at Windsor I doubt that he'll leave Clarence House for Buckingham Palace. I also think that the Cambridges are at Kensington Palace for life.
Buckingham Palace will go the way of the other European Royal palaces and become the office and guesthouse.

I use to think same that Charles would stay at Clarence House but since the refurb I dont necessarily see it now. I think it all depends on timings, if the refurb work is done and quite recently so when Chalres comes to throne I think the oressure will be on for him to move (e.g why spend hundreds millions on pounds on refurb only for it to be opened to public all year round etc)
Also, a friend of mine visited CH last time it was open (apparently it isnt this year) and said it was really quite small and cramped by royal standards. I also think Charles will want to show he is king in every way including residing in the traditional home of monarch.
Everything else is a given IMO, though wasn’t there once talk that Charles woukd give up balmoral to scottish state and just retain Birkhall?
He and Camilla seem tonise Sandringham alot anyway so sure they will keep that up.

> I think Charles will remain at CH till the BP renovations are complete, and then move to BP. He will also use Windsor, Sandringham and Balmoral.

> William will probably keep KP 1A, Highgrove and Birkhall.

> That will free up Clarence House (from c2028, if BP repairs progress on schedule) and Anmer. I think Anmer will be let out, like it previously was.

> I am not sure Clarence House will be offered to Harry, nor do I think he will be able to fund its running. Perhaps it will get used as offices, like an extension to SJP.

Everything else is a given IMO, though wasn’t there once talk that Charles woukd give up balmoral to scottish state and just retain Birkhall?
He and Camilla seem tonise Sandringham alot anyway so sure they will keep that up.

I don't see Balmoral being given up. It is privately owned, worth quite a lot, and they work quite hard to make the estate self-sustaining.It is also a place the BRF enjoy an awful lot.

I use to think same that Charles would stay at Clarence House but since the refurb I dont necessarily see it now. I think it all depends on timings, if the refurb work is done and quite recently so when Chalres comes to throne I think the oressure will be on for him to move (e.g why spend hundreds millions on pounds on refurb only for it to be opened to public all year round etc)

Could they not use other rooms at BP for audiences etc. Lets say the State appartements are open for the Public a few days each week and the others they are closed and used by the RF for bigger events. And smaller Events in room which are now the private Quarters of the Queen for example.

I think Charles will move to Buckingham Palace when he becomes king.
I don't know if William and Kate will move to Clarence House, as they may prefer to stay in Kensinghton until they become kings. When they become kings, I believe that William and Kate will move to Buckingham as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom