General Discussion about Royal Residences 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading today that the Queen Mum had 5 homes even at 100 years old which surprised me. I think if I was her I would have given up Clarence House and one of her two homes in Scotland. Based myself at Windsor and still have a holiday retreat north of the border.This would have reduced her expenditure, especially on staff, significantly.

I was reading today that the Queen Mum had 5 homes even at 100 years old which surprised me. I think if I was her I would have given up Clarence House and one of her two homes in Scotland. Based myself at Windsor and still have a holiday retreat north of the border.This would have reduced her expenditure, especially on staff, significantly.

Clarence House actually never belonged outright to the Queen Mum. She had Birkhall on the Balmoral estate which is now a residence of Charles and Camilla when they're in Scotland and one of her favorite abodes was the Castle of Mey which, I believe, is now open to the public. As far as Windsor goes, the Queen Mum had the Royal Lodge on the Windsor estate which is now where Andrew and Sarah are living (although Sarah is there by grace and favor of Andrew). The Queen Mum was never too far away from her family.

Clarence House actually never belonged outright to the Queen Mum. She had Birkhall on the Balmoral estate which is now a residence of Charles and Camilla when they're in Scotland and one of her favorite abodes was the Castle of Mey which, I believe, is now open to the public. As far as Windsor goes, the Queen Mum had the Royal Lodge on the Windsor estate which is now where Andrew and Sarah are living (although Sarah is there by grace and favor of Andrew). The Queen Mum was never too far away from her family.

Birkhall is partof the Balmoral Estate and threfore owned by the Sovereign. The QM bought the Castle of Mey and restored it - Charles inherited and gave to Scottish Heritage, hence why it is open to the public.

I think royal-blue the queen would have agreed with your sentiments - the QM lived (and died) with a lot of debt which the Queen covered.

I haver noticed that whereas the Queen's cousins live in their palace aartments as their main residences, the Queen's children live primarily at their country homes and stay in London only for official business. was this always the case with the Queen's cousins?

I haver noticed that whereas the Queen's cousins live in their palace aartments as their main residences, the Queen's children live primarily at their country homes and stay in London only for official business. was this always the case with the Queen's cousins?

I've always thought this was for financial reasons. The Kents and Gloucesters traditionally had country houses (Coppins for the Kents before they leased Anmer Hall and Barnwall Manor for the Gloucesters which they now have either sold or lease out). By selling or leasing these residences out the family get money they need. I guess they had to make a choice between a country house or apartment in the capital,I guess a large, palace apartment for peppercorn rent won out in the end.

Furthermore the Queen's cousins all have children who are grown up and starting their own families so that might take away some of the usefulness in having a country house (where the children could grown up).

Video:
Hampton Court Palace is to commemorate the 300th anniversary of King George I’s accession to the throne, with a new exhibition and season of special events. ‘The Glorious Georges’ will run from 17 April through to 30 November, with organisers promising to bring to life, the intriguing characters that populated the Georgian Court. Interpretation Manager Jo Neill reveals the first Hanoverian monarch to rule England had a profound love of theatre, despite not being able to speak much English-
Home - ITNSource News

King David I of Scotland built the Chapel of Saint Margaret in the precincts of Edinburgh Castle.
The chapel was built in honor of David's mother, Queen Margaret, the spouse of King Malcolm III.

In 1818, the newly married Duke and Duchess of Kent, Prince Edward and Princess Victoria, went to Claremont.
Prince Leopold, Victoria's brother and the widowed husband of Princess Charlotte of Wales, lent Claremont to the Kents for their honeymoon.

The Chapel of St. Peter ad Vincula of the Tower of London was built in the 12th century.
The chapel was remodeled in the 14th century and the 16th century.

In 1368 to 1372, the future King Robert II of Scots had David's Tower built at Edinburgh Castle.

In 1575, Queen Elizabeth I stayed in Longleat House in Wiltshire during her summer progress.

King Edward I stayed at Baynard Castle in Cottingham during Christmas of 1299. :poinsettia::poinsettia::poinsettia:

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Thanks, dman.

I always enjoy his shows.
Somehow he manages to make a subject, that could easily become dull, very interesting.

After Diana's death, where did William and Harry live? I know they were in boarding school much of the year but when at home was it St. James Palace with Charles, or Highgrove, or Kensington Palace with a nanny or some other caregiver? Or even some other place? And how is Diana's former apartment currently being used?

In the summer, it was mostly Highgrove or Balmoral. Christmas would be Sandringham. Those were the Tiggy years. I believe that Diana's apt in KP became office space for the Prince's Trust if I recall.

After Diana's death, where did William and Harry live? I know they were in boarding school much of the year but when at home was it St. James Palace with Charles, or Highgrove, or Kensington Palace with a nanny or some other caregiver? Or even some other place? And how is Diana's former apartment currently being used?

When not at school, they lived with their father - be that at ST James' Palace (and later, Clarence House), Highgrove and Birkhall. In the holidays, they would visit Balmoral, Windsor and Sandringham

:previous:
Thank you for the link. The photographs make a powerful statement.

888,246 Ceramic Poppies Flow Like Blood from the Tower of London to Commemorate WWI

888,246 Ceramic Poppies Flow Like Blood from the Tower of London to Commemorate WWI | Colossal

This is probably one of my favorite ever modern art installations. Does anyone agree? :flowers: Is anyone buying one of the poppies? I just think think is a genius idea, great fundraising and stunning land art (the most known of which is probably the work of Christo - http://www.christojeanneclaude.net/ - though there are others).

Last edited:
888,246 Ceramic Poppies Flow Like Blood from the Tower of London to Commemorate WWI

888,246 Ceramic Poppies Flow Like Blood from the Tower of London to Commemorate WWI | Colossal

The poppies are extremely beautiful!!!
This is a creative way to show the general public about a reminder of lost lives.

Whitby Abbey was founded as a monastery in 657 by King Oswy of Northumbria to celebrate his victory over King Penda of Mercia.
In 664 the Synod of Whitby occurred at Whitby Abbey. At this conference the method for calculating Easter Sunday was decided.
:easter::easter::easter::easter::easter:

The Holbein Gate to the north of Whitehall Palace was a three-storey structure in a chequered pattern of stone and flint, adorned with portrait medallions probably by Giovanni da Maiano.

Orford Castle was built by King Henry II, as a coastal defense against possible invasion and to strengthen the King's hand against the Earl of Norfolk, Hugh Bigod. :castle:

In 1303 King Edward I had the Crown Regalia moved from Westminster Abbey to the Tower of London.
The Regalia has been on public show since the 1600s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ed Balls: Queen and Duchess of Cambridge will pay Labour's mansion tax - Telegraph
he Queen and the royal family will have to pay a mansion tax on their portfolio of country estates if Labour is elected, Ed Balls has said. The shadow chancellor said that royals will not be exempt and will have to pay the taxes "just like everyone else" for properties which are not open to the public.

The Queen has paid income tax and capital gains tax for decades, but she and the Royal family are likely to be hit significantly harder by a mansion tax.

Under the plans, all properties worth more than £2million will face an average annual levy of around £12,000. However, labour said that more valuable properties will face a higher tax.

While Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, the Palace of Holyroodhouse, St James' Palace, Kensington Palace and Clarence House are likely to be exempt, other properties will be hit by the charge.

General discussion about royal residences

None of the places listed are actually owned by the Queen. They are owned by the government. 2 million is pretty low with the housing prices in London. That would put most of the city in the extra tax zone.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I see a conflict in the story:

places 'not open to the public' won't be taxed but Sandringham will be - yet it is open most of the year - open more than BP is for instance.

I suspect that this story is wrong as the earlier version of the story I read, linked a page back, had the private premises subject to the tax but not the publicly owned ones.

Most of the large ancestral great homes such as Chatsworth, Highclere, Althorp, etc are open to the public for parts of the year so is Balmoral, Sandringham and Highgrove. So they wouldn't be tax but a condo in Canary Wharf would?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

:previous: What isnt clear is that are they talking about "The Sandringham Estate" - open to the public; or are they talking about individual homes within the estate?

In the former then the Queen would get a reduction in tax because the estate is open for the requisite minimum period. If it's the latter, then Anmer Hall would be taxed.

This isn't policy - its a proposal by a political party prior to the General Election next yr. And it isnt at the logical stage yet (if it ever gets there).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom