The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-29-2021, 06:08 PM
Majesty

With Prince Edward having a 100 year lease on Bagshot Park, how could the lease be legally broken?

Old 04-29-2021, 06:29 PM
Aristocracy

Wasn't there some discussion about no longer using Buckingham Palace as a royal residence after the Queen passes? Or did I dream this? Something about due to all the renovations BP needs, it would be better to leave it as offices/royal events/museum and have the monarch live elsewhere?

Old 04-29-2021, 06:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
Highgrove is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall and cannot be passed to Harry unless it was privately sold and selling the property cannot be done merely because Charles or William wish it, it has to be decided by a board (I think). Selling that particular property for private use of a royal family member will be particularly problematic as I think that tenants of other Duchy properties have wanted to purchase their homes they occupy and been denied.
I didn't intend to infer that Harry would own it but as happens with most royal properties he would have the use of it.
Just a passing thought.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:40 PM
Majesty

There have been stories since Queen Victoria’s day about how successive generations of royals have disliked living at BP, with complaints about its cold, draughtiness, inconvenience, etc. I don’t think it’s regarded as a cosy home by the royal family.

However, the first time I can recall talk that BP might become solely offices and overnight accommodation was after Charles and Camilla moved into Clarence House. They made it into a very comfortable home and stories in the Press began stating that they wouldn’t want to leave it for BP when the time came.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
I didn't intend to infer that Harry would own it but as happens with most royal properties he would have the use of it.
Just a passing thought.
Not sure why William would lend it to his brother; as it is part of the Duchy of Cornwall; so any decisions made will be by or in consultation with William.

I don't think William would be opposed to Charles continuing to use it if he would wish so.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by COESpiral View Post
Wasn't there some discussion about no longer using Buckingham Palace as a royal residence after the Queen passes? Or did I dream this? Something about due to all the renovations BP needs, it would be better to leave it as offices/royal events/museum and have the monarch live elsewhere?
I read that quite some time ago but I cannot recall where. The article had said that Charles would retain CH as his home with BP the workplace plus open to the public.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

Was’t that speculation because of the time table of the renovations at Buckingham Palace? The renovation of the private appartments is planned in a few years, so maybe under the reign of King Charles.

I can see William and his family keep Kensington Palace 1A and Anmer until he becomes King and then move to all the big houses.

If ever Camilla outlives her husband, I could see her stay in Clarence House.

I think Anne, Andrew and Edward will stay where they are.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm in agreement that when the new reign of Charles III starts, there will be no musical residences played. People will be happy where they are and choose to remain there. Why move if home is how you feel home should be? I can see Charles and Camilla preferring to remain at Clarence House while using BP as the "office" and settings for formal occasions. This would also open BP up to the public a bit more and that generates income for the Crown Estates.

They've picked a good time for the long renovation process for BP. The Queen now is ensconced at Windsor where she loves to be and she's starting the trend of using BP as the "office".
Old 05-01-2021, 02:23 AM
Majesty

Osipi, I especially like how you described Queen Elizabeth II using Buckingham Palace as the "office". I am so use to thinking of the Palace as a palace.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:00 PM
Majesty

Orford Castle was built by King Henry III as a coastal defense against possible invasion and to strengthen the King's hand against the Earl of Norfolk, Hugh Bigod.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I'm in agreement that when the new reign of Charles III starts, there will be no musical residences played. People will be happy where they are and choose to remain there. Why move if home is how you feel home should be? I can see Charles and Camilla preferring to remain at Clarence House while using BP as the "office" and settings for formal occasions. This would also open BP up to the public a bit more and that generates income for the Crown Estates.

They've picked a good time for the long renovation process for BP. The Queen now is ensconced at Windsor where she loves to be and she's starting the trend of using BP as the "office".
BP will probably out of use for next decade or so Charles is likely to stay put, but Sandringham and Balmoral will become his so he is likely to spend a lot more time there, although he does already have Birkhall at Balmoral.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
There have been stories since Queen Victoria’s day about how successive generations of royals have disliked living at BP, with complaints about its cold, draughtiness, inconvenience, etc. I don’t think it’s regarded as a cosy home by the royal family.

However, the first time I can recall talk that BP might become solely offices and overnight accommodation was after Charles and Camilla moved into Clarence House. They made it into a very comfortable home and stories in the Press began stating that they wouldn’t want to leave it for BP when the time came.
Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth wanted to remain at Clarence House but were "persuaded" by Churchill to move house. Philip, in particular, was for keeping Buckingham Palace as an office while retaining Clarence House as the main residence.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:03 PM
Majesty

In 1155 the Palace of Westminster was unihabitable. King Henry II and Queen Eleanor moved to the royal palace of Bermondsey on the opposite bank of the Thames, to the south of the city of London.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:20 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Osipi, I especially like how you described Queen Elizabeth II using Buckingham Palace as the "office". I am so use to thinking of the Palace as a palace.
And a beautiful palace, I paid my pounds and went on the tour 2 years ago.
I am also fortunate enough to have been at a garden party.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
In 1155 the Palace of Westminster was unihabitable. King Henry II and Queen Eleanor moved to the royal palace of Bermondsey on the opposite bank of the Thames, to the south of the city of London.
That was Bermondsey Abbey a Benedictine house and the couples eldest son Henry the Younger was also born there.
Old 05-20-2021, 07:45 PM
Majesty

Elizabeth (d. 1327), wife of Robert Bruce, King of Scotland (reigned 1306-1329), was briefly a prisoner in Rochester Castle in 1314.
Old 06-04-2021, 07:30 PM
Majesty

St. Albans House was a royal residence. Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales and his wife Augusta of Saxe-Gotha, Princess of Wales, moved there following their marriage in 1736. They lived there from 1737 to 1741. Their son George (King George II) was born there.

Tags
british royal family, clarence house, highgrove, kensington palace