Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ThatchedHouse_Lodge,_Richmond_Park.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	302322  

Old 08-31-2020, 05:23 PM
Royal Highness

It seems the princess & her subsequent heirs have the leasehold until 2144. It may of course be sold before then.

Another property in Richmond Park - White Lodge - has at one time been a royal residence.

https://royalcentral.co.uk/features/...chmond-101366/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/royalb...ol/41557058001

Old 08-31-2020, 05:25 PM
Aristocracy

The White Lodge is gorgeous! The Duke of Windsor was born there!
Old 08-31-2020, 05:26 PM
Royal Highness

Yes. It has a lot of royal history.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:10 PM
Heir Apparent

I can't see future royals taking up use of Thatched Lodge as its been let on a purely commercial basis by Sir Angus Ogilvy (i.e. not at a 'peppercorn rent' as some of the properties around Windsor etc are) and this was taken on by Princess Alexandra after his death, I can see her son taking it on after her.

White Lodge is amazing!
Old 08-31-2020, 06:35 PM
Royal Highness

My sister did one of White Lodge's Summer Intensive course once and my parents went up to see her, but I didn't. I was jealous because I really wanted to see inside. The words "White Lodge" were spoken with awe at the local ballet school we went to.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:28 PM
Nobility

Nowadays with some of the Orders the stuff has to be returned to the Order when the person dies (and where that particular Monarchy still exists).
Old 03-13-2021, 10:49 PM
Courtier

It now seems clear that once Charles is Kin, the Sussexes will no longer be part of the much speculated "musical residences" which has been discussed on this thread. Charles will likely simply take over the Queen's current residences, and the Cambridge's will likely take over Charles' current residences, with the exception of Clarence House as they will keep their current KP apartment. In 20 years time, George may move to CH if he gets married.
Old 03-15-2021, 03:44 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
It now seems clear that once Charles is Kin, the Sussexes will no longer be part of the much speculated "musical residences" which has been discussed on this thread. Charles will likely simply take over the Queen's current residences, and the Cambridge's will likely take over Charles' current residences, with the exception of Clarence House as they will keep their current KP apartment. In 20 years time, George may move to CH if he gets married.
I'd be surprised if Clarence House was left unoccupied unless another use was found for it.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
I'd be surprised if Clarence House
was left unoccupied unless another use was found for it.
I hope Clarence House is not left unoccupied and had also forgotten that prior to the late queen mother and Princess Elizabeth/Prince Philip it was the residence of the Duke of Connaught.
Old 03-15-2021, 05:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I hope Clarence House is not left unoccupied and had also forgotten that prior to the late queen mother and Princess Elizabeth/Prince Philip it was the residence of the Duke of Connaught.
Yes he lived in it the longest I think after QETQM.

Edit - here we go:

https://www.rct.uk/visit/clarence-ho...clarence-house
Old 03-15-2021, 05:05 PM
Majesty

I also don't think Clarence House will be left unoccupied. But I don't know if the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will move there when Prince Charles is King.
Old 03-15-2021, 05:09 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
I also don't think Clarence House will be left unoccupied. But I don't know if the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will move there when Prince Charles is King.
Unless it's used as offices or possibly a grace & favour residence for someone senior in the government or military possibly.

It's too big for anyone other than the heir to the throne to maintain as a royal residence.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:43 PM
Majesty

The restoration of Queen Anne's Summerhouse
Old 04-18-2021, 07:15 PM

London Base - UK Royals

Does anybody know why Princes Andrew, Edward and Princess Anne decided to have their London bases in apartments at Buckingham Palace as opposed to larger and more private quarters in Kensington or St. James’ Palace?

It seems that after they got married and had families of their own they would want something more private with their own garden and kitchen etc...

From what I read their apartments at BP are rather dark and small and they don’t even have their own kitchens in addition to living in a fishbowl.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Welcome to the forum.

As your question is specific to the British royal family, you might be interested in the subforum about British royal residences.

British Royal Residences

There is a general discussion thread for British royal residences there:

General Discussion about Royal Residences
Old 04-18-2021, 07:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Anne has an apartment in St James' Palace but maintains an office suite in BP(or did until the renovations).It may have been a space issue as Princess Alexandra & The Duke of Kent have/had offices/apartments there and of course Charles had his residence and offices there post divorce. Now the Palace is also the work place for parts of the Royal Collection, the Marshal of the Diplomatic Corps, the Central Chancery of the Orders of Knighthood, the Chapel Royal, the Gentlemen at Arms, the Yeomen of the Guard and the Queen's Watermen. A lot of equerries and other military staff are housed there and Charles' office had some work spaces there as well.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:23 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan S View Post
Does anybody know why Princes Andrew, Edward and Princess Anne decided to have their London bases in apartments at Buckingham Palace as opposed to larger and more private quarters in Kensington or St. James’ Palace?

It seems that after they got married and had families of their own they would want something more private with their own garden and kitchen etc...

From what I read their apartments at BP are rather dark and small and they don’t even have their own kitchens in addition to living in a fishbowl.
It was probably what they were given, but these are not the main homes, it is for convenience. If they need an overnight or to change for engagements.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Other than the heir the royals get one home and an office/apartment in BP or St James'.

Charles therefore has Clarence House and Highgrove and Birkhall.
William has Kensington Palace and Anmer Hall.

The rest have a large home outside London and an apartment/office in London. They don't live there. They stay there overnight if they can't get home e.g. if they have an engagement at night and another one in London early the next morning they may decide to stay overnight.

Those others with homes in London have only that one base e.g. The Duke of Gloucester lives and has his office in KP.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:13 PM

Thank you!

Tags
british royal family, clarence house, highgrove, kensington palace