Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone remember the chronology of moves the Cambridges made when George was born? I seem to recall that their London base at the time was Nott Cott and that even though Catherine tried not having a nanny initially she went from the hospital to her parents house rather than Nott Cott.
I don’t remember whether they were still based in Wales at George’s birth or where they went and when after Catherine left her parents, but I’m pretty sure they didn’t return to Nott Cott after they had baby George.

Getting a bit off topic, but the Cambridges briefly went to Nott Cott from the hospital so the Queen could visit and meet George before she left for Scotland. Then they went to Bucklebury for a few weeks before going to Wales for a short while while William finished up his military service.

They moved into Apt 1A sometime between late 2013 and early 2014, and Anmer Hall in 2015 around the time of Charlotte's birth. There is some unconfirmed speculation that they stayed at Wood Farm while waiting for Anmer to be finished with renovations that started in 2013.

They hired Nanny Maria when George was 8 months old.

Last edited:
Does anyone remember the chronology of moves the Cambridges made when George was born? I seem to recall that their London base at the time was Nott Cott and that even though Catherine tried not having a nanny initially she went from the hospital to her parents house rather than Nott Cott.
I don’t remember whether they were still based in Wales at George’s birth or where they went and when after Catherine left her parents, but I’m pretty sure they didn’t return to Nott Cott after they had baby George.

William and Kate lived in Wales until September when George was first born. Though Kate spent a lot of time in Buckleberry with her mom.

They lived in Nott for about a month with George. By October 2013 (articles around October 10 saying settling in) they moved into their apartment.

While they didn't have a nanny until the following spring, they did have a part time nanny. Jessie Webb helped those first months. But as she only helped the odd day both couple were at an event, she wouldn't need to love with them.

Meghan and Harry are different though. Kate and William were part time royals until recently. Meghan and Harry are not. While I know Meghan will take some maternity leave I doubt it will be as long.

Although we have very little information about Nott Cott’s size, given that even part time Royals at the time William and Catherine spent such a short amount of time there after George’s birth it seems pretty obvious that Nott Cott won’t be adequate for full time Royals Harry and Meghan + baby + nanny + Doria for a short while at least, I assume.
I’m surprised that we haven’t heard anything definite in terms of where they would be moving - if a bigger apartment in KP you’d think we’d have heard by now, or at least we’d have heard of renovations to a likely apartment.

Although we have very little information about Nott Cott’s size, given that even part time Royals at the time William and Catherine spent such a short amount of time there after George’s birth it seems pretty obvious that Nott Cott won’t be adequate for full time Royals Harry and Meghan + baby + nanny + Doria for a short while at least, I assume.
I’m surprised that we haven’t heard anything definite in terms of where they would be moving - if a bigger apartment in KP you’d think we’d have heard by now, or at least we’d have heard of renovations to a likely apartment.
I am sure some clarity will emerge in the next few months

Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
It always comes back around to Sandringham for me...there are a lot more pros than cons. Security, cost, options etc etc. But they may very well do their own thing away from there.
LaRae

I think you are right. A property on the Sandringham estate will not cost anything, just lost revenue for the Queen, which she may be happy to forego for Harry.

No matter how much Sandringham might be easiest to set up, financially make sense, fulfill the country, hunting party desires of Harry... no happy wife, no happy life. Seems pretty clear that if Meghan were willing to even try Sandringham, they'd be there, doing that.

They are not there. That says a lot.
Harry didn't even participate in the Boxing Day hunt last year.
Much as it might have been a good option in the past, Sandringham is not an option anymore.

That's my opinion. LaRae is entitled to have her own and hold firm to it.
I don't see Norfolk being an option for H&M, any more than I see Kate ever giving up Anmer where William and Kate started their family and go whenever they can get there.

Last edited:
William and Kate's homeless state on George's arrival.

As best I've been able to piece it together, Will and Kate didn't really have a home base when George came along. They did have Apt1a in the works.
Nott Cott had been essentially a place to stay over while/when they needed to be in London from after the wedding.

April 29, 2011 Marry and return to Wales

July 2011 Have option of London residence at Nottingham Cottage, Kensington

Dec 3, 2012 Announce they are expecting (Prince George)

July 22, 2013 George is born. Wm&K spend time in Bucklebury, Angelsey, and finally a few weeks at Balmoral before they have a home of their own for the baby.

Aug. 2013 Leave Angsley, Wales.
7.5 yr Military tour of duty completed.

Oct. 5, 2013 Kensington, Apt. 1A is finally ready.

March 2014 Prince William, Kate & Prince George tour Australia.

Sept 2014 Baby announcement, precipitated by HG for 2nd time.

April 1, 2015 Anmer Hall is ready. Family has been at Wood Farm,
hunting lodge nearby while waiting for reno to complete.
July 2014 per
http://www.ibtimes.com/prince-willi...t-kensington-palace-anmer-hall-report-1636588
April 1, 2015 per
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2015/04/kate-middleton-prince-william-moving-to-amner-hall

The Sussex Country Home in the Cotswolds

I don't know enough about it or them to make knowledgeable predictions. My guess is that most likely, H&M will definitely end up procuring a permanent home in the country, whether at Windsor or more likely, in the Cotswolds (Berkshire).

Because of their staffing needs, re the royal duties, Royal Foundation, and Commonwealth work they will be doing, and because they likely will end up having more than one child, I do not think they plan to reside at Nott Cott indefinitely.

I agree with you - the country home in the Cotswolds seems to be what they most want. It affords them mutually desirable social connections, the privacy of the Cotswolds/Great Tew Estate, the space and room to set up their home life.

Probably with some effort, it seems that they've made certain there are no internet leads, no pictures, no way to catch a glimpse of their location there. To me, that says a lot - good secuirty well in place.

The only lead I have been able to turn up are filings for a home to be bulit on the spot of Beggar's Lodge - necessary for planning approval, but no actual links to Prince Harry even on those renderings. So, I can only hazard a guess that that might be their eventual country home.

The two of them seem to value their privacy very, very highly - who can fault them for that? We still have no clue where they honeymooned, and they manage to live on the down low pretty well. They don't have to share their doings the same way as the future King and his family. This seems like the way they roll, and how they could really keep things normal for their children.

No matter how much Sandringham might be easiest to set up, financially make sense, fulfill the country, hunting party desires of Harry... no happy wife, no happy life. Seems pretty clear that if Meghan were willing to even try Sandringham, they'd be there, doing that.

Harry didn't even participate in the Boxing Day hunt last year.
Much as it might have been a good option in the past, Sandringham is not an option anymore.

That's my opinion. LaRae is entitled to have her own and hold firm to it.
I don't see Norfolk being an option for H&M, any more than I see Kate ever giving up Anmer where William and Kate started their family and go whenever they can get there.
Agreed. They are never likely to be based in Norfolk. It’s not feasible with the fact that they are both full time working royals. They’ll be based in London or nearby with their young family so that they can carry out their duties and raise their child(ten). And Anmer doesn’t seem to be suitable as a weekend home for them either. The Cambridges seem to love it in Norfolk, so I don’t see them giving it up until William is king and inherits the big house.

Seems pretty clear that if Meghan were willing to even try Sandringham, they'd be there, doing that.

How do we know they are not using a weekend cottage on the Sandringham estate? I know there ahs been tabloid speculation about a place in the Cotswolds, but that is about as far as it seems to have gotten to.

Why might you suggest that Meghan has a preference for the Cotswolds?

.....any more than I see Kate ever giving up Anmer where William and Kate started their family and go whenever they can get there.

Anmer is their home for now. In time, it may well be that they choose to let Anmer go because they have Highgrove, and don't want two country properties in the south of the UK.

A great summary of the various homes speculated as the "one".

https://cotedetexas.blogspot.com/2018/06/harry-meghans-new-house-pssst-i-found.html

And a report on who's doing the decorating that came out a few weeks ago, but didn't seem to generate much discussion at the time.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...me-designer-refurbish-Cotswolds-bolthole.html

It's the Cotswolds for me: Right from the start Soho Farmhouse and the Beckhams were said to be close neighbours, and whether it's "Beggars Lodge" or "Beconsfield Farm", both fit all the descriptions regarding the location.

Anyway, the above article has some great photos and shows the locations of these places.

(And Google Earth is great for all these Royal places - I've just checked out the swimming pool at Anmer Hall - unusual shape, but maybe a wading area with such little children.)

Last edited:
Most of us forget that Amner was tenanted when William and Catherine married. They rented to be close to William's RAF home base. First came all the work on KP 1A as it was truly uninhabitable and dangerous to boot what with shonky wiring and asbestos coming out the wazoo! The renovation was impossible to keep quiet because it is so visible to the public and cost the proverbial arm and leg which caused a fuss so W & C helped pay for the interior decoration.

Work has continued at KP renovating public areas and private areas and I didn't find them fixing the roof at Apartment 1 at all surprising just as I will not be surprised if work continued both on the outside and inside of KP.

KP Apartment 1A was a wakeup call for those tasked with maintaining the palaces and it seems that there have been ongoing renovations internally and externally in KP and now BP. Looks like that department got the Philip or Charles treatment knowing that the longer you leave things the worse it gets. We have people talking about the Gloucester's being empty nesters. They are not the only ones in KP so that means little.

Amner Hall only came to our notice finally, when they had to replace the roof tiles and, although they were replaced by the same type and colour tiles, the locals were really not ready for that and made a fuss since, without 100 years or more of weathering, shiny orange was a bit hard on the eyes.

For Harry and Meghan, I did read or hear somewhere that they had a bit of renovating and redecorating to do where they wanted to live and, be it Windsor, Sandringham or even the wilds of Balmoral, we would neither see nor know if any House, Cottage, Lodge or whatever was being redecorated because they are not easily seen or identified.

The only thought I have is that HM's children were all gifted with either a private estate or a property on royal land. Charles of course never needed that and decided to buy Highgrove. Now that just leaves H & M and, I do not believe they have been overlooked or ignored.

Charles country home is Highgrove, William's is Amner Hall and, come the succession neither may wish to move. What I am trying to say is that nothing is carved in stone except that H & M will have a home. Not counting Nott Cott.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...age-Kensington-Palace-space-raise-family.html

EDEN CONFIDENTIAL: Harry and Meghan 'may leave their two-bedroom cottage at Kensington Palace for more space to raise their family'
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who are expecting a baby, are keen to move
They currently live in a two-bedroom Nottingham Cottage at Kensington Palace
A royal source says Harry and Meghan may leave Kensington Palace altogether

A Kensington Palace spokesman insists it’s ‘not true’ that Harry and, in particular, Meghan covet the Gloucesters’ spacious home.

Intriguingly, a royal source tells me that Harry and the American former actress may leave the confines of Kensington Palace altogether.

‘Harry and Meghan want to move, and need more space, but they don’t want to live next door to William and Catherine,’ says the source.

:previous: That is why I thought perhaps something on the Windsor estate. Close enough to London yet far enough to enjoy a private country life and five or more exits to confuse the nosey.

I think that if the Gloucesters have to move for H&M, it would be a PR nightmare for the younger royal couple that they do not need given the intense media interest in them already. At least the Cambridges were able to obtain an apartment that no one was living in at the time. And the Gloucesters have served the monarch for decades and still do.

I can see the screaming headlines now...."Meghan kicks old Gloucesters out of their apartment because she coveted the bigger space" or "Meghan demands KP apartment as big as Kate's"

Last edited:
If the *alleged* designer is the real choice, its sad, she has EXCERABLE taste [that she has worked for the Beckhams speaks volumes] !

How do we know they are not using a weekend cottage on the Sandringham estate? I know there ahs been tabloid speculation about a place in the Cotswolds, but that is about as far as it seems to have gotten to.

Why might you suggest that Meghan has a preference for the Cotswolds?

Anmer is their home for now. In time, it may well be that they choose to let Anmer go because they have Highgrove, and don't want two country properties in the south of the UK.

The rumors of a rental in the Cotswolds seem fairly strong, and their friends seem to live in that area.

Anmer isn’t anywhere near Highgrove- it is over 100 miles north-northeast of London. Highgrove is nearly 100 miles west-northwest from London. They are nowhere near each other. Neither is really in the south of England.

Last edited:
:previous: Indeed, it's about a 4h drive between Highgrove House and Anmer Hall. About an hour between Highgrove House and the Soho Farmhouse area and 3h between the latter and Anmer Hall.

We also have to remember that as the future king, William has use of the official transportation to travel between royal residences. Recently, we saw him, Kate and baby Louis travel from Anmer to London via royal helicopter to attend the state banquet of the king and queen of the Netherlands. Harry will not have the same advantages. So, distance from London will be a key factor in choosing a country home.

Anmer isn’t anywhere near Highgrove- it is over 100 miles north-northeast of London. Highgrove is nearly 100 miles west-northwest from London. They are nowhere near each other.

Of course Anmer is not near Highrove. They will not need Highgrove and Anmer, despite the physical distance between them.

There are only so many homes that W&C will want to maintain, once they are Prince and Princess of Wales. They will have KP (or CH) as their London base, Highgrove (or Anmer) as the weekend home that is regularly used most weekends, the place in Wales and probably, Birkhall.

We also have to remember that as the future king, William has use of the official transportation to travel between royal residences. Recently, we saw him, Kate and baby Louis travel from Anmer to London via royal helicopter to attend the state banquet of the king and queen of the Netherlands. Harry will not have the same advantages. So, distance from London will be a key factor in choosing a country home.

That is one of the reasons I think they will keep their main base in London (be it KP or elsewhere), and not Windsor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sandringham might technically be in the southern half of England's north/south axis - but not by much. Its in the middle. Off topic. But a real whopper on which I had to comment.

Of course Anmer is not near Highrove. They will not need Highgrove and Anmer, despite the physical distance between them.

There are only so many homes that W&C will want to maintain, once they are Prince and Princess of Wales. They will have KP (or CH) as their London base, Highgrove (or Anmer) as the weekend home that is regularly used most weekends, the place in Wales and probably, Birkhall.

Last time I looked, both Highgrove and Sandringham are in the southern part of the UK, one in the SW, and the other in the East.

Just because they become Prince and Princess of Wales, doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll have access to all those homes or keep them as homes. CH isn’t a given. In fact, it’s likely used for other things as they have that gigantic apartment in KP that caused all kinds of controversy when the cost of renovating it came out. We have to remember that CH isn’t designated as PoW’s official residence. In fact, Prince Charles only moves in after it became available upon Queen Mother’s death. He had apartment in St. James Palace before. And Highgrove is owned by Duchy of Cornwall, but it can certainly be used for other purposes other than their country home. So if they don’t want to maintain all those homes, they simply won’t use them all as homes. But I do think Anmer is home for them, and likely won’t give it up. Nor do I think it’s necessarily home for Harry if they do give it up. They can always rent it out again.

Just because they become Prince and Princess of Wales, doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll have access to all those homes or keep them as homes. CH isn’t a given. In fact, it’s likely used for other things as they have that gigantic apartment in KP that caused all kinds of controversy when the cost of renovating it came out.

Clarence House may not be a given, but if W&C wanted to move there (which I don't think will be the case), it will certainly be made available to them.

As regards the "controversy" regarding the renovations at KP, a lot of the renovations were updating the building as it had not been done since the early 1960s when Margaret moved in. If W&C don't live at KP, the apartment can be used by H&M, put to another use, or be let out.

Similar criticisms were made when Charles upgraded Clarence House in 2002-03 before moving in.

And Highgrove is owned by Duchy of Cornwall, but it can certainly be used for other purposes other than their country home. So if they don’t want to maintain all those homes, they simply won’t use them all as homes. But I do think Anmer is home for them, and likely won’t give it up. Nor do I think it’s necessarily home for Harry if they do give it up. They can always rent it out again.

Highgrove is an expensive home and estate to run. The only people in the BRF who will be able to afford it are Charles or William. So it will end up being used by one of them. The identity of a monarch is so closely tied to Windsor that, IMO, it is unlikely Charles can get away not using it. Charles keeping Highgrove and Windsor will be opening himself up to criticism of profligacy, which he may not consider wise.

As to other uses for Highrove, I struggle to think how it can profitably be run. The last thing Charles will want is for his beloved home to be turned into a country hotel or conference venue!

But I do think Anmer is home for them, and likely won’t give it up. Nor do I think it’s necessarily home for Harry if they do give it up. They can always rent it out again.

Anmer may well be home for W&C today, but they know what lies ahead, and how the property passing the parcel happens with each passing generation. They saw it when the QM passed away.

If Harry does not want Anmer, I am sure as you say, it can be let out again as it was.

Harry has used the Royal helicopter to get to and from engagements and will undoubtedly do so again. Andrew and Edward have also used the Royal helicopter on occasions as I'm sure have other members of the BRF. It's not restricted to the Cambridges, the Queen's or Charles and Camilla's use.

Richard Eden is as reliable as a dead battery.

Clarence House may not be a given, but if W&C wanted to move there (which I don't think will be the case), it will certainly be made available to them.

As regards the "controversy" regarding the renovations at KP, a lot of the renovations were updating the building as it had not been done since the early 1960s when Margaret moved in. If W&C don't live at KP, the apartment can be used by H&M, put to another use, or be let out.

Similar criticisms were made when Charles upgraded Clarence House in 2002-03 before moving in.

Highgrove is an expensive home and estate to run. The only people in the BRF who will be able to afford it are Charles or William. So it will end up being used by one of them. The identity of a monarch is so closely tied to Windsor that, IMO, it is unlikely Charles can get away not using it. Charles keeping Highgrove and Windsor will be opening himself up to criticism of profligacy, which he may not consider wise.

As to other uses for Highrove, I struggle to think how it can profitably be run. The last thing Charles will want is for his beloved home to be turned into a country hotel or conference venue!

Anmer may well be home for W&C today, but they know what lies ahead, and how the property passing the parcel happens with each passing generation. They saw it when the QM passed away.

If Harry does not want Anmer, I am sure as you say, it can be let out again as it was.
Why can't Harry and Meghan use Highgrove? Why can't William/the Duchy not decide to allow them to live there for a reduced price (as they are full time royals)?

And I do expect William and Catherine to keep Anmer Hall. For them, that is home next to KP, so just like they intend to stay at KP as prince and princess of Wales I don't see a reason for them to switch country houses just because William becomes the direct heir. They can move once they are king and queen.

And by that time their children are hopefully old enough that one of them might want to live there :flowers:

If they CAN want to have those homes and nothing can legally stop them. But why would they? It creates problematic headlines that they don’t want and I just fail to see the benefit. Of course they know what lies ahead, and they’ve known that since they decided on those homes. Is it so out of the realm of possibility that they did think ahead? I’m not saying they’ll stay at Anmer forever, but I do think they’ll stay until William inherit Sandringham. And let’s not pass all the homes to Harry just because William might want something else.

Why can't Harry and Meghan use Highgrove? Why can't William/the Duchy not decide to allow them to live there for a reduced price (as they are full time royals)?

As i see it, you raise two points:

> The costs of "Full time royals" is bourn by the Duchy of Lancaster, which provides the monarch their private income. Once Charles is King, Harry will be funded from the profits of the Duchy of Lancaster. Highgrove is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall, and the income from that Duchy will accrue to William. If William wants to subsidise his brother, that is his choice, but frankly, that is Charles' responsibility, IMO.

> The cost of Highgrove: Its not so much the "rent" for Highgrove, but the costs for maintaining those wonderful gardens, land and other buildings that Harry will probably not be able to afford.

If they CAN want to have those homes and nothing can legally stop them. But why would they? It creates problematic headlines that they don’t want and I just fail to see the benefit. Of course they know what lies ahead, and they’ve known that since they decided on those homes. Is it so out of the realm of possibility that they did think ahead? I’m not saying they’ll stay at Anmer forever, but I do think they’ll stay until William inherit Sandringham. And let’s not pass all the homes to Harry just because William might want something else.
Same thoughts.

Imo this is also part of the big difference that Charles described between being the prince of Wales versus the sovereign. As the sovereign there are very specific rules and expectations; the prince of Wales has a lot of freedom to carve his own role - and I'd say that would include deciding on where to live.

Harry has used the Royal helicopter to get to and from engagements and will undoubtedly do so again. Andrew and Edward have also used the Royal helicopter on occasions as I'm sure have other members of the BRF. It's not restricted to the Cambridges, the Queen's or Charles and Camilla's use.

This from the royal website

”The Sovereign Grant meets the cost of official journeys undertaken by or in support of The Queen and other members of the Royal Family.

Travel by The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall and The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge between residences is categorised as official.”

So although the royal helicopter is available for all royals for official engagements, it’s limited to HM, Charles and William when traveling between residences

As i see it, you raise two points:

> The costs of "Full time royals" is bourn by the Duchy of Lancaster, which provides the monarch their private income. Once Charles is King, Harry will be funded from the profits of the Duchy of Lancaster. Highgrove is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall, and the income from that Duchy will accrue to William. If William wants to subsidise his brother, that is his choice, but frankly, that is Charles' responsibility, IMO.
They can surely work that out somehow. Especially if William is not interested in living there and Harry and Meghan would, it would probably in everyone's best interest if Harry and Meghan would live there.

> The cost of Highgrove: Its not so much the "rent" for Highgrove, but the costs for maintaining those wonderful gardens, land and other buildings that Harry will probably not be able to afford.
I am aware that the main cost is related to all the 'extra's' but depending on how the estate is used, the duchy could probably take care of that part. Especially, if the alternative is that the estate is not used by anyone, in that case the duchy still has to pay for the upkeep somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom