Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not simply about William and bring close or not. They have their own lives and friends.

William and Kate have settled in the country gentry type life away from duties. Hunting and country life suits them. Their friends are in the area.

While Harry likes hunting he and Meghan are a bit more active. I doubt they are going to change too much even with kids. Harry is a polo boy. Meghan is a city girl. Friends for both of them are in the soho set, even ones with kids. It's close to polo for Harry, the city for Meghan and more.

Sandringham and Balmoral will always be there if they want to get away for shooting or such. Meghan not so much. But having a home closer to their social circles and interests for makes sense.

It always comes back around to Sandringham for me...there are a lot more pros than cons. Security, cost, options etc etc. But they may very well do their own thing away from there.

LaRae

I think you are right. A property on the Sandringham estate will not cost anything, just lost revenue for the Queen, which she may be happy to forego for Harry.

A Crown Estate property in Windsor, on the other hand, will need to be paid for in an arms length transaction. If Charles / the Queen are willing to fund such a purchase for Harry, then that could be an option.

That said, my view is that H&M will probably get a larger apartment at KP as their main home, and may get a relatively low profile country home, either owned or leased as an interim measure. Once Charles is King, there will be some moving around of homes between Charles, William and Harry, and I suspect that is when Harry will end up with a long term country home.

The landscape of Norfolk, is quite particular, dead flat, and rather 'bleakly beautiful', very distinct from the more 'chocolate box' appeal of the 'rolling hills' of the Cotswolds..

Norfolk, and its aristocratic set is 'Sporty' [Country sports- hunting, shooting and fishing], and may [or may not] appeal to the more 'urban' tastes of the Duchess of Sussex, but personally I think the novelty of it may soon wear off...

The landscape of Norfolk, is quite particular, dead flat, and rather 'bleakly beautiful', very distinct from the more 'chocolate box' appeal of the 'rolling hills' of the Cotswolds..

Norfolk, and its aristocratic set is 'Sporty' [Country sports- hunting, shooting and fishing], and may [or may not] appeal to the more 'urban' tastes of the Duchess of Sussex, but personally I think the novelty of it may soon wear off...

Then again, there is the concept of guest bedrooms. Norfolk would be available for overnight weekend visits with William should they get together and vice versa wherever Harry ends up. They'll never be at a loss of places to stay when it comes to family. :D

I think they are renting because they realize how much things can/will change in the next 5 years. And they don't want to be stuck with a property that they may not want or need, long term. But I also think they probably have some sort of "right of first refusal" clause on their agreement for the property. In case they decide they love it and have the money to buy additional land.

And that the agent they are renting from will include a clause in future leases that they control taking/publication of photos of the property. It will keep a tidy lid on H/M/baby Wales first home information.

Not the first time royals have favorably rented property.

Finally, while a lot of property around them is private, there is no guarantee that it will remain private or congenial. The plot their rental is on is actually fairly small and has no estate. So the rental is actually very smart.

Meghan has talked about how she loves the country ...and evidently spent quite a bit of time in the English countryside since she and Harry started dating. So...I don't think it's accurate to describe her as a city girl who is going to want to live in a city.

LaRae

Meghan has talked about how she loves the country ...and evidently spent quite a bit of time in the English countryside since she and Harry started dating. So...I don't think it's accurate to describe her as a city girl who is going to want to live in a city.

LaRae

That is true, but she and Harry will still need a London base, and Nott Cott won't do.
Once they have a child, it is simply too tiny for comfort.

But as someone mentioned, housing arrangements right now are temporary and there will be changes in the next decade.

Oh yes they will end up with 2 locations...a London Base at KP (most likely) and then a country home where they can get away from the city and have more privacy.

LaRae

Over the past two years watching this couple, it seems to me that wherever they end up on a permanent basis, it will be a home. These are two people that reveled in being home together and weren't big on the city lights and "going out" during their courtship (although being under the radar was a big reason not to).

Home is where they'll hang their hearts. :D

I really, really doubt the Sussexes are going to get three houses plus their rental, or even instead of their rental. Two maybe- but nothing has been announced and AFAIK the Gloucesters are still living in Apt 1. Everything is speculation at this point.

It's true that nothing has been confirmed. However, I don't doubt that the Sussexes are renting a home in the Cotswolds, which means it isn't permanent. In addition, they will surely not be staying at KP's Nott Cott forever. The Adelaide Cottage home on the Windsor estate is not large, and thus if true that it was offered, it would simply be a retreat or a place to stay while visiting Windsor. Of course, H&M could just as easily stay in rooms at the castle when they visit Windsor.

The York Cottage on Sandringham estate might be more speculative and perhaps unlikely. Also, it's quite possible we'll never receive any confirmation of the Sussexes future residences, particularly with the way the media has been behaving with their negative, click-and-bait stories surrounding the Sussex staff and so-called 'tiara drama.'

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/...m-cottage-york-cottage-adelaide-cottage.html/

https://www.romper.com/p/heres-the-...arry-are-leasing-for-the-next-2-years-9238432

https://observer.com/2018/10/prince-harry-meghan-markle-kensington-palace-renovations/

It's not strictly DF that has done speculative coverage re homes for the Sussexes. In any case, I mostly do not click on DF trash. It has been reported by more than one source that H&M are renting a temporary home in the Cotswolds on the Great Tew Estates. I see no reason to doubt that.

I also see no reason to disbelieve reports that H&M will soon be moving into Apt 1A at KP. They may or may not have been gifted homes on the Windsor and Sandringham estates, but I see no reason to suspect it isn't possible -- this has been discussed in the thread, Future Homes the Sussexes.

The Sussexes wil not be moving into Apt 1A anytime soon, I don't think the Cambridges are moving.;)

And AFAIK the Gloucesters are still living in Apt 1 despite tabloid speculation to the contrary. Maybe they will move to Apt 4B or maybe that is where Harry & Meghan will move.

I do not think they will get a large KP apt, and a house at both Sandringham and Windsor. I'm leaning towards Windsor and KP, but we'll see eventually.

And it is entirely possible any permanent arrangements will not be made known until Charles is King.

For what it’s worth, Richard Palmer swears his sources tell him the Gloucesters aren’t vacating their apartment at KP.

The Sussexes wil not be moving into Apt 1A anytime soon, I don't think the Cambridges are moving.;)

And AFAIK the Gloucesters are still living in Apt 1 despite tabloid speculation to the contrary. Maybe they will move to Apt 4B or maybe that is where Harry & Meghan will move.

I do not think they will get a large KP apt, and a house at both Sandringham and Windsor. I'm leaning towards Windsor and KP, but we'll see eventually.

And it is entirely possible any permanent arrangements will not be made known until Charles is King.

:previous: Right, I obviously meant to say Apt 1, where the Gloucesters live. Should the Gloucesters decide to move out, now that all of their children have grown up, that location is still a possibility for Meghan & Harry, no matter what Richard Palmer has heard or thinks.

Sure, the Sussexes could continue to live in Nott Cott at KP for the next year perhaps, after the birth of their baby, but they will obviously need more room at some point in the near future.

And we really do not know how long it will be before Prince Charles becomes King. If it's five or more years into the future, I believe more permanent arrangements for Meghan and Harry will be made before then. It's entirely possible H&M will try for a second pregnancy within a year or so of their current unborn baby's first birthday.

Last edited:
Actually, the set up they have right now with Nott Cott in London and a rental place away in the Cotswolds is probably going to be their option for quite a while yet. It works for them.

I don't see Harry ahd Meghan being the type of people that bigger is better when it comes to homes. As long as they have enough room for their family and their dogs and visiting friends and a nanny, its home. I'm going to go out on a limb too and state that I don't believe that H&M will have extensive household staff either. Meghan seems to revel being in the kitchen and she's a natural homemaker and like William and Kate, H&M will be more of a "we do it ourselves whenever we can" kind of family.

This is a couple that will settle into a home life away from the public eye. There's just no rush yet. I sincerely think Meghan could make a home out of a yurt in the woods of Balmoral should that be what they wanted. :D

Actually, the set up they have right now with Nott Cott in London and a rental place away in the Cotswolds is probably going to be their option for quite a while yet. It works for them.

I don't see Harry ahd Meghan being the type of people that bigger is better when it comes to homes. As long as they have enough room for their family and their dogs and visiting friends and a nanny, its home. I'm going to go out on a limb too and state that I don't believe that H&M will have extensive household staff either. Meghan seems to revel being in the kitchen and she's a natural homemaker and like William and Kate, H&M will be more of a "we do it ourselves whenever we can" kind of family.

This is a couple that will settle into a home life away from the public eye. There's just no rush yet. I sincerely think Meghan could make a home out of a yurt in the woods of Balmoral should that be what they wanted. :D
That’s still going to be substantial place for their main home if they have 2 or 3 kids. And they will need household staff. They’ll still have time where they do things themselves, but as their responsibilities and family grow, they won’t be there to do everything at home. Especially cleaning. It takes a really long time just to keep things dusted and clean in a big house. They won’t have the same luxury of doing very small amount of engagements for 7 years.

They’ll keep their rented country place for now, but Nott Cott simply won’t do anymore after the baby and once they hire a nanny. And they will need a nanny.

Last edited:
They will need at the very least a nanny and housekeeper as their official duties incease. But I can see that for Harry and Meghan, they may not have many household staff for the simple reason that they value their privacy. I would also imagine that Harry has learnt the painful lesson seeing how many of his parent's staff have written tell all books and who still speak regularly to the media.

I have to disagree. Nott Cott is certainly not a family home, so I suspect within the next year or so, they will move to a larger apartment in KP. That will serve as their principal family home, IMO, for the remainder of this reign. They may have the rumoured rented home in the Cotswolds as well, or may get the home on the Windsor estate that has been talked about. It is really in the next reign that, I think, the issue of the country home will get settled.

Well if they stay at Notts cottage there is the possibility of any staff - nanny, housekeeper etc - being given one of the staff apartments in the palace and nipping over the courtyard when they need to work. Not ideal but not impossible. W&H already use Diana's old apartment as offices so maybe they will use that as work space and use Notts Cottage as their private space.

However, I do think they will simply move into a bigger apartment at some time, if not before the arrival of their baby by the time they have another one, if indeed they do have a second child.

One thing has become apparent though. There are plenty of options to choose from and different areas available to "settle down" in. They're just not going to make a hasty decision because I firmly believe that whatever large home they decide on will be it for their lifetime. No need to play musical residences as the monarch changes.

When the Sussexes put down roots, their family tree will grow from there.

This thread has 82 pages, and we still don’t know anything!

Yeps. This thread has been around for a long time. Since 2006. 12 years of watching and waiting to see where Harry finally ends up. Now that he's married with a baby on the way, I do believe the end is in sight. Finally. :D

I feel that Harry & Meghan will end up in a situation something like the wessexes or Princess Anne - a home in the costwalds (or whereever) and small home/ suite near offices in london. probably a larger apt in KP - but i dont see their family based in london.

and I think their family, babies, nanny and possibly doria will be in their family home and they will travel to london as needed. they are working royals focusing on the commonwealth... they travel from london all the time; they could just as easily be travelling from their home elsewhere

I feel that Harry & Meghan will end up in a situation something like the wessexes or Princess Anne - a home in the costwalds (or whereever) and small home/ suite near offices in london. probably a larger apt in KP - but i dont see their family based in london.

and I think their family, babies, nanny and possibly doria will be in their family home and they will travel to london as needed. they are working royals focusing on the commonwealth... they travel from london all the time; they could just as easily be travelling from their home elsewhere

Not that I’m disagreeing with your take on how their housing situation will be like, but I do want to point out that their Commonwealth travel will still be the much smaller part of their overall engagements. Most of their engagements will be based in UK on a daily basis. There will probably be one big trip a year if that.

For what it’s worth, Richard Palmer swears his sources tell him the Gloucesters aren’t vacating their apartment at KP.

Just for context purposes, last time Richard Palmer swore something was true was the story about Meghan’s photos being used for Closer case. :lol: And he has reported on Meghan and Harry moving into Apt 1 before as well. So while not all of the RRs are always right, Richard Palmer isn’t even someone I’d put in the second tier for accurate sources.

Last edited by a moderator:

It's not about being hands on or not. The reality is they will need a nanny. Even if they had larger staff, that staff wouldn't have to live in the cottage. But a nanny would. Even if Nott has three bedrooms which is questionable, it's tiny. Both William and Harry have said that. Having them, a baby and a nanny living there wouldn't be comfortable long. Not to mention if they have more then one.

Even if Nott has three bedrooms which is questionable, it's tiny. Both William and Harry have said that. Having them, a baby and a nanny living there wouldn't be comfortable long. Not to mention if they have more then one.

No, they wouldn't have any privacy at all!

I really can't see them staying there much longer; they will want to be settled somewhere before the baby comes.

Yeps. This thread has been around for a long time. Since 2006. 12 years of watching and waiting to see where Harry finally ends up. Now that he's married with a baby on the way, I do believe the end is in sight. Finally. :D

Think this will be settled by the time we get to 100 pages? :lol:

First thing we'll hear of is that they're moving out of Nott Cott and that will take us to 100 pages at least. Then we wait and watch some more for the country residence to be confirmed as permanent. :D

Certainly Meghan comes from an unpretentious background and we know she loves cooking, and she will likely revel in taking hands-on care of her family. In that sense, Nott Cott is indeed enough room and quite homey I'm sure, at least right now. It's said to be a two-bedroom cottage. Of course, H&M don't actually need a 20+ room grand apartment at KP. But at this point, neither do the two empty-nest Gloucesters. And there are a lot of additional realities and duties that go along with the roles and status of the Sussexes (no matter how 'normal' and hands-on they both may prefer to be).

I don't know enough about it or them to make knowledgeable predictions. My guess is that most likely, H&M will definitely end up procuring a permanent home in the country, whether at Windsor or more likely, in the Cotswolds (Berkshire). Because of their staffing needs, re the royal duties, Royal Foundation, and Commonwealth work they will be doing, and because they likely will end up having more than one child, I do not think they plan to reside at Nott Cott indefinitely.

BTW, Adelaide Cottage at Windsor appears to be romantically intimate, rather than grand and imposing.

Last edited:
Certainly Meghan comes from an unpretentious background and we know she loves cooking, and she will likely revel in taking hands-on care of her family. In that sense, Nott Cott is indeed enough room and quite homey I'm sure, at least right now. It's said to be a two-bedroom cottage. Of course, H&M don't actually need a 20+ room grand apartment at KP. But at this point, neither do the two empty-nest Gloucesters. And there are a lot of additional realities and duties that go along with the roles and status of the Sussexes (no matter how 'normal' and hands-on they both may prefer to be).

I don't know enough about it or them to make knowledgeable predictions. My guess is that most likely, H&M will definitely end up procuring a permanent home in the country, whether at Windsor or more likely, in the Cotswolds (Berkshire). Because of their staffing needs, re the royal duties, Royal Foundation, and Commonwealth work they will be doing, and because they likely will end up having more than one child, I do not think they plan to reside at Nott Cott indefinitely.

BTW, Adelaide Cottage at Windsor appears to be romantically intimate, rather than grand and imposing.
Assuming the house in Windsor is actually available and suitable, the cost of acquiring the lease will be a consideration.

It's not about being hands on or not. The reality is they will need a nanny. Even if they had larger staff, that staff wouldn't have to live in the cottage. But a nanny would. Even if Nott has three bedrooms which is questionable, it's tiny. Both William and Harry have said that. Having them, a baby and a nanny living there wouldn't be comfortable long. Not to mention if they have more then one.
Does anyone remember the chronology of moves the Cambridges made when George was born? I seem to recall that their London base at the time was Nott Cott and that even though Catherine tried not having a nanny initially she went from the hospital to her parents house rather than Nott Cott.
I don’t remember whether they were still based in Wales at George’s birth or where they went and when after Catherine left her parents, but I’m pretty sure they didn’t return to Nott Cott after they had baby George.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom