Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My other thought is that, quite possibly, any country home they have will probably be an interim arrangement till the end of this reign only. When Charles is King, I suspect he will leave his beloved Highgrove to the next Prince of Wales, who in turn might let Harry use Anmer. Clearly this is speculation on my part, but I would welcome your thoughts.

The question is would either of them want to? My understanding is that the couples have their own circles near their weekend homes. The Cambridge have their social circle in Norfolk, and seem to be fond of that area. Whereas the Sussexes seem to have a fondness for Cotswolds, which is close to Highgrove. As of now, I’ve seen no indication that Harry or Meghan are particularly fond of Norfolk other than Christmas with the family. We can talk about what makes the most sense logistically all we want, but the wishes of the couples in terms which area they live in will also play a part. But I agree that the current situation is only temporary. One of the considerations is probably the timing of the next reign and what will happen in the next few years in terms of space.

The problem with that solution is that William seems to like Norfollk, while Harry prefers the Cotswolds.
So, an exchange of that sort wouldn't make everybody happy.

The question is would either of them want to? My understanding is that the couples have their own circles near their weekend homes. The Cambridge have their social circle in Norfolk, and seem to be fond of that area. Whereas the Sussexes seem to have a fondness for Cotswolds, which is close to Highgrove. As of now, I’ve seen no indication that Harry or Meghan are particularly fond of Norfolk other than Christmas with the family. We can talk about what makes the most sense logistically all we want, but the wishes of the couples in terms which area they live in will also play a part. But I agree that the current situation is only temporary. One of the considerations is probably the timing of the next reign and what will happen in the next few years in terms of space.

I hear about apparent preferences for Norfolk and the Cotswolds for the Cambridges and Sussexes respectively, but the fact is none of us know what is actually the truth. William and Harry both grew up near the Cotswolds, and Catherine was not too far either, so I suspect they all like the West country. A lot of the Norfolk set are friends of both, William and Harry.

Highgrove is owned by the Duchy, so will be available for William in the next reign. Whilst, un theory, it could be leased to Harry, it is an expensive house and a very large estate to run, and I am not sure he will want to take on that financial burden. It is possible that W&C keep both Highgrove and Anmer (and Birkhall and the property in Wales) in addition to the apartment at KP, but that just seems like a lot of homes. If they give up Anmer, it could be let out, as it previously was, but then again, it could just as easily be used by the Sussexes, if they so like.

There seems to be a constant assumption for several years on here that William and Harry want to spend their lives living in immediate proximity to each other. They may be close but they are two different people, with roles that will diverge over time, although this hasn't really happened yet. Noone ever sems to suggest the Queen's children wanting or having wanted to live next door to each other.

Harry and William are different. They decided not to "silo" like the Queen's children, and share patronages and support of their causes.

Besides, at a certain time, William and Kate will probably be moving to another Crown property. There is no "next" Crown property for Harry and Meghan.

There seems to be a constant assumption for several years on here that William and Harry want to spend their lives living in immediate proximity to each other. They may be close but they are two different people, with roles that will diverge over time, although this hasn't really happened yet. Noone ever sems to suggest the Queen's children wanting or having wanted to live next door to each other.
So what is the point you are trying to make? Accommodation is London likely to be at KP If Harry and Megan have an issue with proximity to the Wales', they can choose to live in the country as there really aren't any other options available in London.

So what is the point you are trying to make? Accommodation is London likely to be at KP If Harry and Megan have an issue with proximity to the Wales', they can choose to live in the country as there really aren't any other options available in London.
Didn't Charles live in St. James' palace before he took over Clarence House after the death of Queen Mum? Suely his old flat would be good enough for the Sussexes?

Didn't Charles live in St. James' palace before he took over Clarence House after the death of Queen Mum? Suely his old flat would be good enough for the Sussexes?[/QUOTE

York house. It currently is used as offices by Charles and Camilla. May be easier to move offices then having to re home relatives. But not sure we will see that.

Imo, it makes no sense for the Sussexes to move to St James when their offices are at KP. Until William ascends to the throne and the Cambridges move on to BP, their homebase will be at KP. Considering the seemingly close knit relationship between the DoCs and DoSs and considering current and future joint projects, I don't see the Sussexes moving office (or residence) away from KP. It should be also mentioned that neither St James, nor Clarence offers adequate private outdoor space for children (and pets).

The current solution of Nott Cott and a private lease of a small prop in the Cotswolds is definitely temporary before children come along. The option of Apt A + Windsor (probably Ade Cott) is certainly a realistic one. & Probably the most thinking ahead one too.

The truth is - the Cambridges and Sussexes are (and will be for the next 20-25 years) the most prominent and 'senior' residents at KP. Another fact - as morbid as it may sound - there will be openings at KP in the not so far future. With Charles more streamlined vision it would be hard to imagine Bea, Eug or any other non-working royal 'living it up' in Apt 1. I am personally a big fan of Windsor and see many great advantages to the Sussexes having their official country residence there(see an earlier post of mine in this thread.) Adelaide Cottage is understood to be a nicely sized house, but by no means ostentatious or as grand as Gatcome or the Royal Lodge. It would be a proper fit for them, I reckon - even in the long run. Both close and far enough from London. Although, I would foresee their primary residence and homebase remaining Apt 1 up until William ascending to the throne and Cambridge kids are already in the working Royal camp.

Last edited:
With the announcement of the Sussex pregnancy, I guess the question of potential housing get has become a bit more urgent. Wonder where they will move to?

Thats what I was wondering about, too. I'm having a hard time believing that Nott Cott is going to be workable.

Maybe they'll stay more at Cotswoulds until a permanent solution is found? That lease is at least for 2 years (2, 3, and 5 all have been discussed).

I agree with the poster above that said the longer term solution would probably be something like Apt 1 and Adelaide Cottage. Adelaide, while on royal property, isn't a big home, and would serve as a nice weekend home for them outside of the city. I still think they are more likely to be based in the city. Unfortunately, there isn't any royal property near Cotswoulds, except for Highgrove.

Last edited:
Yes, staying in the Cotwolds or wherever their country rental is until something is sorted out in London is the only thing that makes sense...except, that is a long way to be commuting back and forth for engagements. If the DoS takes off the standard 4-6months after the baby is born, that would still mean that she would be leaving the little one behind on a regular basis, and I certainly wouldn't want to do that no matter how good the nanny is.

I'm sure all this is being worked out, if it hasn't already, but I'm curious to see what solution they come up with.

Yes, staying in the Cotwolds or wherever their country rental is until something is sorted out in London is the only thing that makes sense...except, that is a long way to be commuting back and forth for engagements. If the DoS takes off the standard 4-6months after the baby is born, that would still mean that she would be leaving the little one behind on a regular basis, and I certainly wouldn't want to do that no matter how good the nanny is.

I'm sure all this is being worked out, if it hasn't already, but I'm curious to see what solution they come up with.

I meant it'll probably be sorted out by then. There is about a year left to work this out. :lol: My guess is still that Gloucesters would move into 4B and Sussexes move into 1. But 4B is occupied until end of year, I believe, by the Queen's former Private Secretary. We might hear more early next year. While some will make a story out of Sussexes "kicking" Gloucester's out of their home, I think Gloucesters might prefer a smaller place since they are empty nesters and it can't be easy maintaining the place.

Thats what I was wondering about, too. I'm having a hard time believing that Nott Cott is going to be workable.
I agree, Nottingham Cottage is unlikely to be their London home. I suspect they will end up with a bigger apartment at KP soon.

I have to also agree. I don't think think they will be in Nott Cott too much longer.

They could probably easily have their first child at Nottingham. A two bedroom house is not too small for a young baby but I don't see them staying there after the kid's turned 1.

They could probably easily have their first child at Nottingham. A two bedroom house is not too small for a young baby but I don't see them staying there after the kid's turned 1.
No its not, but if you have live in help, it can be rather cosy

Do they really need two houses at this stage? Maybe in the future when they are more established in their royal role and their child/ren are older, but one home (of sufficient size of course) should be adequate for the foreseeable future.

Do they really need two houses at this stage? Maybe in the future when they are more established in their royal role and their child/ren are older, but one home (of sufficient size of course) should be adequate for the foreseeable future.

I imagine they wouldn't want to move often with small child(ren). With royal residences, there are also concerns over a big renovation project. Do it once and do it right.

They are probably best staying put until at least Charles is king. It may be worth giving some consideration to the perception of a Royal Family rapidly growing in size, with an ever increasing number of members, new babies and multiple luxury residences.

I believe after the BP renovations, Charles will go to BP, W & K will go to CH and Highgrove, and H & M will get 1A and Amner. The renovations approval to 1A were easier to get for a direct heir than later for someone who is important, but falling farther and farther from the throne. I think The Firm knows how to do things in a way that stirs the least amount of fuss with the people. Koodoos.

I believe after the BP renovations, Charles will go to BP, W & K will go to CH and Highgrove, and H & M will get 1A and Amner. The renovations approval to 1A were easier to get for a direct heir than later for someone who is important, but falling farther and farther from the throne. I think The Firm knows how to do things in a way that stirs the least amount of fuss with the people. Koodoos.

That does not make sense. Renovation in 1A has nothing to do with importance in terms of approval. Just like the Gloucesters also received a structural renovation (I think it's just the roof, but I'm not certain) this year that cost over 1 million pound. And the BP renovation on the residence won't start until 2025. The Sussexes aren't going to stay in NottCott until their first child is 6 years old.

That does not make sense. Renovation in 1A has nothing to do with importance in terms of approval. Just like the Gloucesters also received a structural renovation (I think it's just the roof, but I'm not certain) this year that cost over 1 million pound. And the BP renovation on the residence won't start until 2025. The Sussexes aren't going to stay in NottCott until their first child is 6 years old.

Agree that Nott Cott is a very temporary abode now that there's a baby on the way. Whether it's 2 or 3 bedrooms, there is no way it's going to work long term, especially if there are additional children.

I thought it had been made very clear that the Cambridges are settled in their current homes at least until Charles becomes king, and possibly until William becomes king, so I don't see the Cambridges moving to CH or Highgrove. It's the Sussexes who are going to have to have space found for them.

Still wondering if they are going to either renovate or build something for H&M at Sandringham.

LaRae

I think its very possible that they're already working on residences for the Sussex family and its just not been announced yet. I also wouldn't be surprised to hear sooner rather than later that Nottingham Cottage will be given as a residence for Princess Beatrice. Its the perfect setting for a single royal.

Other then people seeming to think Harry and William have to be attached, I don't see any sign Sandringham is really high consideration. There is no evidence the couple has any real draw to it.

if they do get a country home it will likely be at Windsor. Meghan is a city girl. Harry is big in the polo sect. They are rumored to be leading a country home in the area now, not confirmed. Their social life is very much around the soho group and polo fields. I doubt they would be too drawn all way to Sandringham.

:previous: Agreed. If the Cambridges want to give back Anmer Hall, they can simply do so without having to hand it down to Harry. Although, they seem to love the area and have friends there. OTOH, I don't think they've spent much time at Highgrove. And I have not seen any indication that Sussexes like Norfolk for anything other than Christmas with family.

William will not have to "give back" Amner Hall as one day he is destined to personally own it as monarch. Sandringham and Balmoral are two estates that do personally belong to the monarch.

I thought I had read that the residences they're in right now is where they plan to stay until the time comes when William ascends the throne. This makes sense to me as both residences have been renovated to their own personal tastes in the interiors and they seem the type of people that would want a firm, solid family base for their family.

I think we can genuinely rule out Apt. 1A and Amner Hall for Harry or for anybody else in the future. ?

William will not have to "give back" Amner Hall as one day he is destined to personally own it as monarch. Sandringham and Balmoral are two estates that do personally belong to the monarch.

I thought I had read that the residences they're in right now is where they plan to stay until the time comes when William ascends the throne. This makes sense to me as both residences have been renovated to their own personal tastes in the interiors and they seem the type of people that would want a firm, solid family base for their family.

I think we can genuinely rule out Apt. 1A and Amner Hall for Harry or for anybody else in the future. ?

Well, until then, he's on a lease. :lol: But yea, I agree, I don't see them giving up 1A or Amner. That's where they raised/are raising their children.

As for Harry, I just don't see them living in Norfolk. I can actually see some kind of leasing arrangement made with Highgrove if he and Meghan just want a small place in London. It's close to Cotswoulds, which is where they spend a lot of time at.

The Sussexes reportedly will soon be moving from KP's Nottingham Cottage into the renovated Apartment 1 at KP (which adjoins the Cambridges Apartment 1A), previously occupied by the Gloucesters. Meanwhile M&H reportedly spend weekends at a rented home in the Cotswolds on the Great Tew Estate. Also QEII is said to have gifted them York Cottage on the Sandringham Estate and Adelaide Cottage on the Windsor Estate:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/...m-cottage-york-cottage-adelaide-cottage.html/

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celeb...e-harry-meghan-markle-house-adelaide-cottage/

https://www.romper.com/p/heres-the-...arry-are-leasing-for-the-next-2-years-9238432

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom