Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Highgrove is now a tourist attraction, not so? :flowers: All those garden tours and the shoppes, who would want to live there with all that activity underfoot? Does not strike me as a quiet, idyllic bolthole for a family. More like a security nightmare.

I agree here. Highgrove has become a sustainable asset for the Duchy of Cornwall although most people think of it as Charles' private home (which it is in a sense that he uses it for a residence and also as a pet project for his environmental projects and a place where he can happily dig in the dirt to his heart's content.)

When Charles becomes King and the property, which is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall, falls into William's wheelhouse, it won't matter if he decides to use it as a residence or not. Its set up to be a totally functional estate just by itself. William could suggest to the Duchy of Cornwall what he'd like to do with it as far as leasing it out to someone as a resident but it wouldn't be solely his prerogative to make that decision.

If one was to read the book "A Housekeeper's Diary" by Wendy Berry, it shows just how high the security of the place is. One of the incidents involving panic buttons is very highly amusing. ;)

Highgrove is now a tourist attraction, not so? :flowers: All those garden tours and the shoppes, who would want to live there with all that activity underfoot? Does not strike me as a quiet, idyllic bolthole for a family. More like a security nightmare.

You could say the same about Kensington Palace.
Or Windsor Castle.
Even Buckingham Palace offers tours at specific times of the year.

But the private apartments are kept off-limits.

You could say the same about Kensington Palace.
Or Windsor Castle.
Even Buckingham Palace offers tours at specific times of the year.

But the private apartments are kept off-limits.

If you go to the Highgrove website, the tour schedules are fairly limited, even compared to, say, Windsor or Kensington.

Tickets are only sold by advance booking, you have to have a ticket in hand to get into the parking lot, and even then you can only be parked and on the property within a certain window of time before and after the tour proper. They only do tours on select dates, April-October. I assume that means Charles and Camilla have planned ahead which dates they may want to spend at Highgrove and made those days off limits for tours.

Y'know, this all makes me realize how structured the lives of the royals have to be in so many ways. Everything planned quite a bit in advance to even having a weekend away at Highgrove. No spur of the moment itching to dig in dirt and calling in sick to "work" and retreating to Highgrove. No wonder Charles loves Birkhall so much. :D

Y'know, this all makes me realize how structured the lives of the royals have to be in so many ways. Everything planned quite a bit in advance to even having a weekend away at Highgrove. No spur of the moment itching to dig in dirt and calling in sick to "work" and retreating to Highgrove. No wonder Charles loves Birkhall so much. :D

Well, it sounds like the tours keep some distance from the house, so if they chose to be there on a tour day they could enjoy some things with privacy.

If Prince Harry purchases a home, is there a financial limit on money he can spend on renovations?

If Harry were to purchase his own home out of his own pocket, it would be up to him how much he would pay for renovations as that would also come completely out of his own pocket. :D

If he buys his own property then he will be responsible for paying for all renovations. With the Cambridges they had the structural renovations at Apt 1a paid for by the state through the Sovereign grant, while personal decoration etc was paid for from private funds. Anmer was renovated out of private funds - the Queen's, Will & Kate's or Charles or a mix of all three who knows but only security measures would have been paid for from public funds.
So if Harry moves into a new residence in an official palace the structural work will be paid for through the Sovereign Grant. If the Queen gives them their own country home she may pay for its renovations, possibly with a combo of Charles and Harry's own money.

Any work they do to properties at Sandringham just helps out the estate ...I still think it's quite possible that Harry/Meghan will end up with a country home there as well.

LaRae

I think the wisest thing to do at this point in to examine all options, take time to make a decision and then go from there. Wherever Harry and Meghan set up residence, its probably going to be their forever home through the years.

They're not like William and Kate or Charles and Camilla that will be expected to be "moving on up" as their roles change. Whatever they decide on will probably be it for the rest of their lives.

Any work they do to properties at Sandringham just helps out the estate ...I still think it's quite possible that Harry/Meghan will end up with a country home there as well.

LaRae

I agree. When speaking of Sandringham, most discuss 5 houses in total. I believe there is in excess of 60 buildings. York House is an office, and the Farm or something where Phillip is staying. There has to be something of comparable size.

If nothing else they could build a new structure/house on the estate and just add to what's there. If one is not suitable for refiguring.

LaRae

:previous:I was thinking the same thing.....choose an area which is private and build a brand new house. That said, would the Sussexes want their children and their future descendents to live on the future estate of his father, brother and nephew? Harry may want his own home to pass down to his future generations like Princess Anne.

Last edited:

LaRae
I think all the little grey men from BP and Whitehall have now come to realise that as the family moves around it means an upgrade of the property. Apartment 1A was full of asbestos and dangerous wiring and as a result, was uninhabitable and required major renovations and refurbishment. They are not quite so cavalier about such moves these days.

As for Harry not being keen to live on the same estate as his father and brother, I would think they would be less likely to want to move into Apartment 1 as that really is "next door".

I think as close as the family is, and Sandringham being a massive estate they could easily live there on the same grounds with the Cambridges etc and not be too close. I don't see it an issue if they did move into Apt 1 ...they all appear close and all of them lead busy lives. Not like it's a retirement home where they are always right 'there' together.

LaRae

The difference is that Kensington Palace is state owned and is in a fantastic part of London. Sandringham at least is privately owned but will be owned by Charles, then William and George etc. I meant that Prince Harry may want a private home as well to pass on to his descendents as he can't pass on a state owned apartment in Kensington palace.

The difference is that Kensington Palace is state owned and is in a fantastic part of London. Sandringham at least is privately owned but will be owned by Charles, then William and George etc. I meant that Prince Harry may want a private home as well to pass on to his descendents as he can't pass on a state owned apartment in Kensington palace.

Playing devil's advocate here--
And inheritance taxes are quite high--so his children or grandchildren might have to sell the home to pay the taxes.

And they might have multiple children; would they want to share the same house? So, while it sounds nice in theory to have something to pass down; it might not be that important in practice.

It really does make sense to me...I can believe this before I can believe they are having a house built in the Cotswolds or wherever it was.

LaRae

While I think apartment 1 would be nice for them, I just don’t know how much I believe what they’ve been pushing. One thing being that the Gloucesters still lives there. On top of that, the roof being fixed to make it suitable for The Sussexes is complete bull as the work has been planned for awhile. It was reported that work will be done before they were even engaged.

I agree I can grudgingly believe the cotswolds house lease story because I think it's a good transition property to get Meghan who has lived big cities, get used to a simpler country life but with amenities close by so they won't get a property immediately in the true almost isolated English country side yet as that might be throwing her into the deep end but to settle down as family home I don't believe the stories of them building a house is Cotswold.

This just sounds like a free advertisement for the new project going on in the area that they are tying to Harry and Meghan to gain publicity.

While I think apartment 1 would be nice for them, I just don’t know how much I believe what they’ve been pushing. One thing being that the Gloucesters still lives there. On top of that, the roof being fixed to make it suitable for The Sussexes is complete bull as the work has been planned for awhile. It was reported that work will be done before they were even engaged.

When was it first planned? I'm quite sure that Harry's intentions were clear from late 2016/early 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom