Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it "Beggars Lodge" -

Luxury new-build house dubbed Beggars Lodge could be the royals' new home | Daily Mail Online

Every article I've read has mentioned the Beckams just up the road and Soho Farmhouse just a short distance in the other direction.

Google Earth shows these locations and nearby Beaconsfield Farm, (the "Roman Villa") of reports last year and earlier this year.

Various articles keep coming back to this small area of Great Tew.

And as Meghan has a strong connection with the Soho group, a big drawcard for her maybe.

Meghan at the opening of Soho House in Istanbul - before she was so well-known -

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...KSzNO4haSke1iqkN54S-vv-G-RN64cLP2e4LU_vW6sdBg

Meghan at Soho Farmhouse, just down the road from the location of "Beggars Lodge" -

https://spectator.imgix.net/content...crop=faces,entropy,edges&fit=crop&w=820&h=550

Director of Soho House attending Harry and Meghan's wedding -

http://www4.pictures.livingly.com/gi/Prince+Harry+Marries+Ms+Meghan+Markle+Windsor+kJmAyXwqtRtl.jpg

And it's a small world.

While it's reported that either Markus Anderson or Misha Nonoo did the Harry/Meghan introduction, Ms Nonoo has spent time with Beatrice and Eugenie, and both York princesses have been enjoyed the Soho experience.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s...-nonoo-meghan-markle-prince-harry-matchmaker/

Last edited:
Yes, it looks as if this particular bit of the Cotswolds is in favour for Harry and Meghan. I must say I'm surprised, but maybe Sandringham plus KP are a bit TOO close to the Cambridges and the rest of the family. It's a lovely part of the countryside, that's for sure. Wonder whether the couple will rent or whether it will be bought.

Yes, it looks as if this particular bit of the Cotswolds is in favour for Harry and Meghan. I must say I'm surprised, but maybe Sandringham plus KP are a bit TOO close to the Cambridges and the rest of the family. It's a lovely part of the countryside, that's for sure. Wonder whether the couple will rent or whether it will be bought.

Yes Curryong, I've seen reports that the area where William and Catherine live is only good for long walks across a flat landscape and for shooting.

This area offers a bit more of urban living - a creative crowd who are members of Soho Farmhouse, restaurants, cinema, reported sightings of Meghan doing pilates classes there etc.

I actually come from north Norfolk and it does have its attractions, including lovely little market towns. I agree though that Meghan appears to be an urbanite rather than a country girl, and at this stage of his life anyway Harry is too. There is shooting near that estate. I believe it's near where the Middletons once hosted a Boxing Day shoot isn't it?

I actually come from north Norfolk and it does have its attractions, including lovely little market towns. I agree though that Meghan appears to be an urbanite rather than a country girl, and at this stage of his life anyway Harry is too. There is shooting near that estate. I believe it's near where the Middletons once hosted a Boxing Day shoot isn't it?

Such a small world Curryong.

About an hour away. The boxing day shoot the Middletons hosted was near their home in Reading, on an Yattendon estate which is in Thatcham (near Reading). Great Tew is up in Oxfordshire, near Chippy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Middletons-royals-gather-170-miles-away.html

Last edited:
I think the Cotswolds is also more polo country and the area where Harry’s friends are located. I never thought Norfolk was a serious option for the Sussexes.

I think the Cotswolds is also more polo country and the area where Harry’s friends are located. I never thought Norfolk was a serious option for the Sussexes.

I agree, especially given that Meghan loves the Cotswolds. :flowers: It also makes sense to me (whether it's true we'll find out) that Harry and Meghan will get a spanking new house built to order. Meghan has given up a great deal, I think her having a home that fits her sensibilities makes good sense. JMO.

I'm not familiar with the landscape of the UK. But can someone please tell me how far Cotswolds is from London?

I'm not familiar with the landscape of the UK. But can someone please tell me how far Cotswolds is from London?

Depends on what part of the Cotswolds you are talking about. Its a large region. Its second only to the Lake District in size, and while mainly in Oxfordshire in Gloucestershire (where Anne and Charles live), it is also in parts of Wiltshire, Sommerset, Worchestershire and Warwickshire.

The part of the Cotswolds in question is in Oxfordshire. Near the town of Chippy (Chipping Norton). The estate is just north east of Chippy, between it and Banbury. Its about hour and 40 minutes north west of London.

Its about an hour north east of Highgrove. and an 1 hour 20 minutes from Windsor Castle (2h45 from Sandringham).

Last edited:
Depends on what part of the Cotswolds you are talking about. Its a large region. Its second only to the Lake District in size, and while mainly in Oxfordshire in Gloucestershire (where Anne and Charles live), it is also in parts of Wiltshire, Sommerset, Worchestershire and Warwickshire.

The part of the Cotswolds in question is in Oxfordshire. Near the town of Chippy (Chipping Norton). The estate is just north east of Chippy, between it and Banbury. Its about hour and 40 minutes north west of London.

Its about an hour north east of Highgrove. and an 1 hour 20 minutes from Windsor Castle (2h45 from Sandringham).
Ah, thanks for the information. If this rumor is true, it'd be interesting to see if they ultimately make this their base.

Ah, thanks for the information. If this rumor is true, it'd be interesting to see if they ultimately make this their base.

If the rumors are true, then I would say Yes. I don't see the royals going to the expense of building them (or even buying if the location is true but not this current new house story) for just a weekend home. If London is going to be their main base, I still think a small home one of the estates would have been renovated for them.

I would be expecting a small upgrade in London. But not something like the Gloucesters massive apartment, if it is true. Maybe 4b which is large but doesn't need work done on it and free. I don't see them remaining in Notts cottage even if their country home is their main base. Then again they might, at least until Charles is king. Charles' siblings all only have small apartments in London.

I agree, especially given that Meghan loves the Cotswolds. :flowers: It also makes sense to me (whether it's true we'll find out) that Harry and Meghan will get a spanking new house built to order. Meghan has given up a great deal, I think her having a home that fits her sensibilities makes good sense. JMO.

And who is going to pay for this new house? After the Sunninghill fiasco I don't see a new house being something the Queen or Prince Charles financing. And it would be fiscally irresponsible for either Harry or Meghan to spend their capital with no new income.

Last edited:
A lot of things seem fluid right now. I'm thinking there are things that they could do to allocate the space for them. However, most of it will be determined based on when they have children and would need larger accommodations.

And who is going to pay for this new house? After the Sunninghill fiasco I don't see a new house being something the Queen or Prince Charles financing. And it would be fiscally irresponsible for either Harry or Meghan to spend their capital.

One never knows. :flowers: Meghan is clearly liked (as Harry is clearly loved) by the family. Everything is being done to make Harry's new, foreign wife ;) feel welcomed. I could see Charles making a new house purchase possible. Yes.

But we may be leaping ahead. Aren't they going to be renting in the area for two years, first? That sounds like they may be scoping out the possibilities, maybe. Nothing set yet, just super-sleuths making educated guesses. ;)

A lot of things seem fluid right now. I'm thinking there are things that they could do to allocate the space for them. However, most of it will be determined based on when they have children and would need larger accommodations.

Really it doesn't depend on when they have kids. Any place they get is going to need some work. The fact is Notts cottage is only 2 bedroom, no space even for a nanny. Realistically it needs to be sorted out, whether a large apartment in London, or a country home, and the sooner the better.

What ever is done will be financed likely by Charles, or the queen possibly. Harry cant be spending his investments and trust on a house. Its his income.

One never knows. Meghan is clearly liked (as Harry is clearly loved) by the family. Everything is being done to make Harry's new, foreign wife feel welcomed. I could see Charles making a new house purchase possible. Yes.

But we may be leaping ahead. Aren't they going to be renting in the area for two years, first? That sounds like they may be scoping out the possibilities, maybe. Nothing set yet, just super-sleuths making educated guesses.

The Rental stories at this point are just rumors. Unconfirmed rumors.

Even if true, doesn't rule out any 'new house being built or renovated'. The reality is it takes a great deal of time to build a house, especially a home like the one is being rumored. Its not like they are going to move in next week.

In reality, whether a London base, a new home, or renovating a property on one of the estates, something needs to be started soon. Any of it will take renovating, and they need more space for a baby eventually.

Last edited:
Once Charles succeeds, he might gift them Highgrove, though.
He won't have time to make much use of it, and it's in the Cotswolds.

Highgrove was purchased by the Duchy Of Cornwall in 1980. Since it was bought with Duchy money, any sale would involve at least William’s tacit approval I would think.

Why would it involve his approval? It's simply not his decision at this point. If it's an ongoing outflow of cash that would carry on to when he is the beneficiary, then yes, but until then, it's simply not his decision what Duchy buys and sells. Even Charles couldn't just decide he wants it to buy Highgrove and had to convince them its a good business decision.

I don’t know what the fine print says but I’d be astonished if Charles gave away a substantial Duchy asset to someone who’s not the next duke.

I don’t know what the fine print says but I’d be astonished if Charles gave away a substantial Duchy asset to someone who’s not the next duke.

In any type of estate like this, there are people in charge of governance and investments. Not one person will just be allowed to make a choice. And for those charged with making the decisions, their foremost duty is to the Duchy of Cornwall itself, not whomever is the current or future Duke of Cornwall. Now, whatever Charles wants to do with money he can legally draw from the Duchy, that's his business and his business only.

Charles seems like a by the book type of guy. He’s knows the Duchy and it’s assets are there for William. He’ll probably leave Harry with a trust fund but I doubt he’s going to start dumping properties to give to Harry.

He cant just 'gift' Harry the home.

But if he wanted to use his income from the Duchy to purchase Highgrove, then I doubt anyone would have an issue. He doesn't make the decisions about the duchy himself. But as long as he paid a fair price for the property, its quite plausible the deciding board would agree.

Charles could also give them a different property. He bought some other properties near Highgrove over the years.

One never knows. :flowers: Meghan is clearly liked (as Harry is clearly loved) by the family. Everything is being done to make Harry's new, foreign wife ;) feel welcomed. I could see Charles making a new house purchase possible. Yes.

But we may be leaping ahead. Aren't they going to be renting in the area for two years, first? That sounds like they may be scoping out the possibilities, maybe. Nothing set yet, just super-sleuths making educated guesses. ;)

"Daily Beast" reported a week or so ago Lady Nimue that all the reports of a two year lease were incorrect.

They say Harry and Meghan signed a lease to rent "Round House" for five years.

("Round House" being a local name for the rental property.)

"Press Reader" is showing the double-page colour supplement/magazine article, (by the look of it), that is reporting on "Beggars Lodge". Said to be taking a year at least to do up.

Other newspapers - such as "Daily Express" among others - have published the plans lodged with the West Oxfordshire Council, showing the details of the renovations - which include additional accommodtion, details of the garden layout etc.

(Some plans are now on the internet.)

"Beggars Lodge" is still identified on Google Earth - though Beaconsfield Farm, (the previous favourite identified as the site of a Roman villa), isn't named.

No Street View, but all the properties easy to identify from the publicity of the Beckham's three barn conversion which really stands out, not to mention "Soho Farmhouse", and the site of that yearly concert always mentioned in reports etc.

(Plus ordnance maps name several of these properties. "Get Outside" carries a lot of photos taken by people who "ramble" and share their shots of the fields, views and buildings around The Great Tew Estate. Was "WestfieldLarge" an error for "Westfield Lodge - also on the estate. But on the road to the quarry, so maybe not a contender.)

And old reports are still on the internet of Charles buying Cotswold houses in past years, in case William and Harry wanted to live there when they grew up.

Can't blame Harry and Meghan for wanting to be in such a location - Meghan has strong ties with the Soho group, (and Soho Farmhouse has plans to expand, although it's reported to have been making a loss so far).

And no second-fiddle to William and Catherine. Here, Harry and Meghan would always be top of the local social heap.

(And nice to see your posts again Lady Nimue.)

Last edited:
As HM has gifted Amner Hall to William, I think he will most probably stay there until he becomes King. There are other properties around the estates that HM could gift Harry and Meghan. We all say "gift" yet except for Anne and William it is a 99-year lease for Bagshot Park and Royal Lodge.

I really don't see the sense in renting a place because it will eat into their capital and the security costs would be horrendous. It would be fiscally daft to waste their income, such as it is.

I also think that both Harry and Meghan seem more in touch with their family and would not want to be too far away from them. It is a sad reality that their grandparents days are numbered and I cannot see any mad dash to be far away so they can be the big fish in a small pond. Family and friends seem more important.

Of course, if they are lucky enough to have a family their priorities will change yet again.

Does Charles and Camilla still spend much time at Highgrove? It'd be nice for them to be close to some family at their country hideaway in addition to their Soho set.

"Daily Beast" reported a week or so ago Lady Nimue that all the reports of a two year lease were incorrect. They say Harry and Meghan signed a lease to rent "Round House" for five years.

Well, the rumors are sure flying. :flowers: Now a 5 year lease. Wonder why leases seem to be the going rumor for the couple?

And old reports are still on the internet of Charles buying Cotswold houses in past years, in case William and Harry wanted to live there when they grew up.

Interesting. Likely some very interesting properties to choose from.

One assumes Charles would gift the chosen property. :flowers:

Can't blame Harry and Meghan for wanting to be in such a location - Meghan has strong ties with the Soho group, (and Soho Farmhouse has plans to expand, although it's reported to have been making a loss so far).

That's what I have been thinking: it's not just where Harry's friends are which would include the area in Norfolk around Sandringham, but where Meghan would be around friends and people that share her cosmopolitan spirit.

And no second-fiddle to William and Catherine. Here, Harry and Meghan would always be top of the local social heap.

Or maybe not quite that, just some space from all things grippingly family and royal. Breathing room. ;)

Anyway, it will be fascinating to see where they land, and one guesses it will be totally off-skew from all that's being floated, don't you think? ;) Tricksters as they are, or at least Harry is.

(And nice to see your posts again Lady Nimue.)

Thank you, Sun Lion. :flowers: Always nice to be back after my mandatory walk-abouts. Work, family, and family vacations, can be demanding. Always fun, tho. ❤️

Would Charles have to give it away?
Why not a long-term lease, like Andrew has?

Charles (and William) can only occupy so many houses.
Once Charles succeeds, Highgrove would probably stand empty for most of the time.
And William seems to prefer Norfolk to the Cotswolds.

If there is a new property to add to the portfolio, i believe it will be the Duchy of Cornwall who purchases the property and who will retain ownership. Harry will be granted a lease. The Royal Family have learned alot about retaining their assets.

I expect Highgrove will eventually fall to William which is why the Cambridges never "needed a place in the Cotswalds - btwn Highgrove and Bucklebury they have options when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom