Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lord Snowden had a place in the country of his own, and Margaret was gifted land on Mustique as a wedding gift where a house was built for her. That's where she spent the majority of her holidays in preference to Sandringham, Balmoral etc, though she did go to those estates for family get togethers occasionally.

Just because the Queen decided on the arrangement of one or the other in Town or country for her four children doesn't mean that Charles will decide the same for his only other offspring.

Looking at photographs of KP, there is plenty of access to outdoor space for future children. I think 4B would be an excellent larger home for M & H. No need to kick the Gloucesters out of their home.

There is no access to private outdoor space in 4B, which does seem to be along the Prince of Wales Court. However, that is a common outdoor space, not private for 4B.

Harry and Meghan’s royal status, coupled with the intense media interest in them, means that their children will be exposed to random photos every time they want to play outside. A private outdoor space where the family can relax without fear of photographic intrusion would likely be incredibly important to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure why my above message was edited and the photos were removed, but the editing removed a very important detail: Apartment 1 has private outdoor space and 4B has no private outdoor space. That is why I think that for security reasons, Apt 1 remains a possible top choice, despite having to relocate the Gloucesters.

Lord Snowden had a place in the country of his own, and Margaret was gifted land on Mustique as a wedding gift where a house was built for her. That's where she spent the majority of her holidays in preference to Sandringham, Balmoral etc, though she did go to those estates for family get togethers occasionally.

Just because the Queen decided on the arrangement of one or the other in Town or country for her four children doesn't mean that Charles will decide the same for his only other offspring.

A place in the country like Highgrove or Anmer is likely to be used as a weekend retreat, unlike Mustique or Balmoral. Margaret never used Tony's place in the country much herself.

Harry’s known from day one he’s not William’s equal and just because William has something doesn’t mean Harry gets it as well.

As for a home Meghan doesn’t strike me as a country person. She’s a big city girl. Given the choice I think she’d prefer a large London home close to the action.

Is there a chance Harry and Meghan will get Clarence House in the future as their main residence??? I expect Charles to move out and into BP when he becomes king.

Harry’s known from day one he’s not William’s equal and just because William has something doesn’t mean Harry gets it as well.

As for a home Meghan doesn’t strike me as a country person. She’s a big city girl. Given the choice I think she’d prefer a large London home close to the action.

We dont agree too often but I share your view 100%!!!! Given the homes that Meghan has lived in her whole life, I think that she would be perfectly content with 1 large apartment in Kensington Palace.

Is there a chance Harry and Meghan will get Clarence House in the future as their main residence??? I expect Charles to move out and into BP when he becomes king.

While I think it is a reasonable guess the points against Clarence House seem to be as follows:

1)It isn't the most child friendly residence, and besides Elizabeth and Philip for a short time in the early 50s has had mostly older residents (Queen Mum and Charles)

2) The royal family might use the Queen's death as an excuse to do much needed repairs to Buckingham Palace with Charles and Camilla staying in Clarence House during the interim. Then, if Charles is in his late 80s/early 90s by the times repairs are completed, he might be able to use his age as a reason not to move, with BP becoming a strictly working palace either until Will and Kate move in or permanently.

3) Even if Charles and Camilla move into BP, Clarence House might remain unoccupied to be saved for Camilla if she outlives Charles. As Queen Dowager she will need somewhere to live and continue supporting her charities and CH, which is decorated to her taste, makes the most sense. So unless Harry, Meghan, and family want to share living space with Camilla, it wouldn't make sense to move them in only to have Harry's stepmother return several years later.

Meghan does enjoy nature. She's an avid gardener.

Would William and Kate let Harry and Meghan use Anmer Hall when they aren't there? It seems such a waste of a big house to be left empty much of the time.

use Anmer Hall when they aren't there?

Highly unlikely imo. 'House-sitting' isn't easy or desirable with young kids...

I think they will have a large KP apartment - maybe the Gloucesters - and a small house on one of the country estates to use at weekends etc but not mansion on the scale of Anmer.

I think they will have a large KP apartment - maybe the Gloucesters - and a small house on one of the country estates to use at weekends etc but not mansion on the scale of Anmer.

Yes - eventually. Near term, it's hard to see viable alternatives.

The royal family might use the Queen's death as an excuse to do much needed repairs to Buckingham Palace with Charles and Camilla staying in Clarence House during the interim. Then, if Charles is in his late 80s/early 90s by the times repairs are completed, he might be able to use his age as a reason not to move, with BP becoming a strictly working palace either until Will and Kate move in or permanently.
Renovations to BP were announced last year, with the work being done "around" the needs of The Queen. I'm thinking that when the change of reign happens they will just schedule everything to be done as soon as is practicable, with Charles and Camilla remaining at Clarence House until the work is done. As it is, they will need to relocate office space, staff space, etc. let alone those royals who have apartments there - Anne, Andrew, and Edward.

It is unlikely Charles’s siblings will remain in BP once the Queen is gone. That has not happened in the past. I don’t think Phillip will choose to spend any time there at his advanced age. Anne only works from there.

:previous: Of course it has. Not at Buckingham palace, but because that wasn't their home to begin with. Margaret maintained a home in Kensington palace until her death. The Gloucesters and Kents all have homes in royal palaces, though only cousins of the monarch.

Andrew and Edward are not likely to retire from royal duties when their mother dies. And they will need a London base. It is possible they will join their sister in SJP, or a space may open in Kensington when the time comes.

What about York House, St James Palace for H & M? Charles lived there prior to Clarence House. It may not need that much updating (wiring, plumbing, etc.), just decorating.

What about York House, St James Palace for H & M? Charles lived there prior to Clarence House. It may not need that much updating (wiring, plumbing, etc.), just decorating.

It is used as offices by Charles and Camilla. I guess those offices could be relocated some where else. But it seems everyone thinks they will want to remain as close to William as possible, and their offices.

Renovations to BP were announced last year, with the work being done "around" the needs of The Queen. I'm thinking that when the change of reign happens they will just schedule everything to be done as soon as is practicable, with Charles and Camilla remaining at Clarence House until the work is done. As it is, they will need to relocate office space, staff space, etc. let alone those royals who have apartments there - Anne, Andrew, and Edward.

The programme of renovations for BP is scheduled to last a decade. AS scheduled, the last bit to be redone will be the private apartments of HM. If Charles succeeds to the throne in the next decade whilst these works are underway, IMO, he and Camilla will remain at CH till the works to the private apartments of the monarch have been completed.

This would suggest to me that CH is unlikely to become available for the next decade at the earliest. The family can then decide of William or Harry and family move there, or another use be found for CH.

The rooms at SJP are considered small and gloomy, and not much can be changed in the building because of its historic status.

That's why Charles was eager to move out, and also why everyone would prefer to live at KP.

I see three options for H & M:

1. They stay put at Nott Cott until Charles succeeds, then there will be a huge upheaval in accomodations.

2. They stay put until circumstances change at KP and somebody leaves.

3. They exchange with the Gloucesters.

Last edited:
I don't see Harry and Meghan moving out of Nott Cott until they start a family. It's too small for that. William and Kate stayed their for awhile after their wedding too, I believe. So they have a little time to figure things out.

The rooms at SJP are considered small and gloomy, and not much can be changed in the building because of its historic status.

That's why Charles was eager to move out, and also why everyone would prefer to live at KP.

I see three options for H & M:

1. They stay put at Nott Cott until Charles succeeds, then there will be a huge upheaval in accomodations.

2. They stay put until circumstances change at KP and somebody leaves.

3. They exchange with the Gloucesters.

Fourth option- they move into Apt 4B at KP

Fifth option: Somewhere else because when Charles ascends the throne possibly nothing happens and everyone stays where they are.

Irrespective of when Charles succeeds to the throne, I do not foresee any property moves for C&C and W&C for another decade, till the planned renovations at BP are complete.

Harry will need to move soon, as I am sure they will not delay having a family. My guess is another apartment will be found within KP.

Not that the DM can be relied upon as a purveyor of facts, but they are now reporting that the Gloucesters are moving out / have moved out of their apartment to make way for H&M.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-Palace-hurriedly-renovated-Harry-Meghan.html

UK Home | Daily Mail Online

.. I choose to believe it only if there is an official announcment from one of the palaces...

but it is possible of course

.. I choose to believe it only if there is an official announcment from one of the palaces...

but it is possible of course
And you are quite right, IMO! ?

Its front page of the DM website and on the Sun as well - neither are the most reliable sources - but it means we may get confirmation one way or the other soon.
The DM say pretty much what others here have guessed - H&M will move into the Gloucester's apartment 1 and the Gloucesters moving into the apartment left vacant by the Queen's former Private Sec Christopher Geidt.

Certainly its a fact the Gloucester's apartment is undergoing a number of renovations
Sir Christopher will presumably have vacated an apartment not all that long ago as the most senior royal aide he would have had an apartment provided
Its widely reported by a number of sources that the Gloucester's offered to move out of their apartment when W&K married.
Maybe they were thanked for the offer and asked to wait until Harry married as Apartment 1A was available for W&K. Certainly if they are still being provided with a suitable (if smaller) apartment in return for their duties I can't see them minding at all, they got to raise their family in the larger apartment now H&M can do the same.

If they get Apartment 1 at KP I suspect they will get a modest (by royal standards) country house.

Last edited:
Would Apartment 1 really need this level of renovation? I saw pics on twitter of all the drapes and scaffolding.

LaRae

Would Apartment 1 really need this level of renovation? I saw pics on twitter of all the drapes and scaffolding.

LaRae

I suspect it will have been some time from when Apt 1 would have had major works carried out, so some work would definitely been required. This could have included things like redoing the roof, insulation, electrics, windows and possibly the removal of asbestos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom