Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Royal reporter Richard Kay is suggesting that the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester may move into the Kennsington Palace apartment vacated by Mr Geidt, thus making their premises available for the two brothers to live side by side.

Apartment 1 and apartment 1A.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/08/19/21/3768212800000578-0-image-m-31_1471639013152.jpg

Can you post a link to his claim?

Not likely. If anything, the apartments vacated by Prince Charles' employee, apartment 4b. 4b is a large and opulent 5 bedroom apartment. Geidt's apartment is one of the smaller staff apartments located in the palace. Even if the duke and duchess were to downsize, its not likely they would downsize that far. 4b would still give them the room to host and have family, and such, without the massive apartment they already have.

Harry and William haven't lived right next door for years. Think they can handle being a few apartments away.

Can you post a link to his claim?

Not likely. If anything, the apartments vacated by Prince Charles' employee, apartment 4b. 4b is a large and opulent 5 bedroom apartment. Geidt's apartment is one of the smaller staff apartments located in the palace. Even if the duke and duchess were to downsize, its not likely they would downsize that far. 4b would still give them the room to host and have family, and such, without the massive apartment they already have.

Harry and William haven't lived right next door for years. Think they can handle being a few apartments away.

Not so much a claim Countessmeout as a suggestion, now that Mr Geidt is not staying in his job.

I didn't post the link as the apartment mention is within a bigger report about Harry's character - he being clingy, Meghan being calm - and that whole Harry history, past girlfriends/relationships etc - isn't of interest to me.

Also contained a mention of where Meghan was spotted dining out during the week.

Lot of coverage of the couple going on here - I feel like I'm swimming in it. (Maybe starting to drown.)

Can't believe how many Royal specials have been on TV this past week.

One channel is even re-broadcasting the "The Windsors" satire, and advertising their wedding coverage in the ad breaks. And how funny, but how biting, is that show - what a contrast to go from one to the other!

If you google "Harry clingy" or some such you will probably come up with the article - just new I think, in the last hour or two.

Last edited:
Its based off the suggestion by Princess Michael that the Gloucesters would move, and open their apartment. She made the 'suggestion' back in 2011 when the Cambridges needed a home. It seems convenient Princess Michael isn't offering up her own apartment, her children are out as well and she has extra room. So helpful of her to suggest her husband's cousin move instead. :lol:

There are small apartments above the garages and such in the palace. These are apartments in the normal sense, not the large spacious townhouses that are what the royal 'apartments' are. Christopher Geidt seems to live in one of these. I doubt its much bigger then say the one Eugenie just moved out of at SJP.

At least 4b is said to be so opulent that Diana was said to be jealous of it. And 5 bedrooms isn't always an accurate count. Kate and William's is said to be that large and that doesn't include their staff rooms. 4b would be a reasonable place to place a working royal couple. Whether it is Harry and Meghan, or the Gloucesters if they do actually offer to move.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its based off the suggestion by Princess Michael that the Gloucesters would move, and open their apartment. She made the 'suggestion' back in 2011 when the Cambridges needed a home. It seems convenient Princess Michael isn't offering up her own apartment, her children are out as well and she has extra room. So helpful of her to suggest her husband's cousin move instead. :lol:

There are small apartments above the garages and such in the palace. These are apartments in the normal sense, not the large spacious townhouses that are what the royal 'apartments' are. Christopher Geidt seems to live in one of these. I doubt its much bigger then say the one Eugenie just moved out of at SJP.

At least 4b is said to be so opulent that Diana was said to be jealous of it. And 5 bedrooms isn't always an accurate count. Kate and William's is said to be that large and that doesn't include their staff rooms. 4b would be a reasonable place to place a working royal couple. Whether it is Harry and Meghan, or the Gloucesters if they do actually offer to move.

Apparently the Duke of Gloucester offered his apartment to William and Catherine at the time of their engagement/wedding, before they went for 1A.

I've been to KP in good weather and in grim.

Good weather is better. It's pretty ordinary when the gardens are in hibernation, the lawns are muddy and the sky is grey. Opulent interiors probably offset that a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
4B has no outdoor space. I still think Apt 1 is a strong contender due to the private garden, despite the Gloucesters needing to relocate. Young children need access to the outdoors and royal children need safe, protected access to outdoor space. The Cambridges recently released another photo of their family relaxed in their 1A backyard. The “Harrys” will need that same type of private outdoor space in London.

4B has no outdoor space. I still think Apt 1 is a strong contender due to the private garden, despite the Gloucesters needing to relocate. Young children need access to the outdoors and royal children need safe, protected access to outdoor space. The Cambridges recently released another photo of their family relaxed in their 1A backyard. The “Harrys” will need that same type of private outdoor space in London.

Looking at photographs of KP, there is plenty of access to outdoor space for future children. I think 4B would be an excellent larger home for M & H. No need to kick the Gloucesters out of their home.

In fairness I've heard from numerous sources that the Gloucester's offered to move out when W&K were 'house hunting' so they may have done so again. Either way they seem to have a good enough relationship with the Queen that she won't make them homeless (and I think they do still own Barnwell Manor in the country). I suspect H&M will be given a large 'apartment' in KP either the Gloucesters or one of the bigger staff ones. Charles' Private Secretary and the Queen's were both said in the past to have had relatively spacious apartments in the Palace so there is probably some space going spare.

In fairness I've heard from numerous sources that the Gloucester's offered to move out when W&K were 'house hunting' so they may have done so again. Either way they seem to have a good enough relationship with the Queen that she won't make them homeless (and I think they do still own Barnwell Manor in the country). I suspect H&M will be given a large 'apartment' in KP either the Gloucesters or one of the bigger staff ones. Charles' Private Secretary and the Queen's were both said in the past to have had relatively spacious apartments in the Palace so there is probably some space going spare.
Given that their three children has left home and Princess Alice has passed away maybe they are thinking of downsizing. It's quite natural for people their age even among the upper classes.
The only issue is where they'd go.
Barnwell Manor was let out because at the time it was to expensive to run something I don't think has gotten any cheaper.

They may settle for a smaller apartment in KP and a smaller country house for time away - I'm sure a large estate like Barnwell would have more than just the "big house" or a rented house somewhere. Maybe the Queen may compensate them with a smallish house on one of the country estates.
As you say now the children are gone there is less need for such a large apartment.

I’ve got a feeling that their country house will be around Windsor. I had a look at the crown estates page to see there was anything similar to bagshot or Royal lodge and there was one place but used as a leading college. Anyone know of anything in the area empty?

"Their" being H&K?
I think they will have a country house for sure, its jsut whether they go for a large, main, city residence.
Another option is a large country house near Windsor which would take away the need for a large city residence. What about Frogmore? Wasn't it considered for Andrew and Sarah when they first married?

They may settle for a smaller apartment in KP and a smaller country house for time away - I'm sure a large estate like Barnwell would have more than just the "big house" or a rented house somewhere. Maybe the Queen may compensate them with a smallish house on one of the country estates.
As you say now the children are gone there is less need for such a large apartment.

The Gloucesters still own Barnwell, but it got too expensive to maintain and they have leased it out. Princess Alice was very sad when she had to move from Barnwell to London when her son had to lease out the property in 1995. As the Duke and Duchess still carry out engagements on behalf of the Queen they will continue to be provided a home in London. The Gloucesters no longer have ANY country home.

Last edited:
"Their" being H&K?
I think they will have a country house for sure, its jsut whether they go for a large, main, city residence.
Another option is a large country house near Windsor which would take away the need for a large city residence. What about Frogmore? Wasn't it considered for Andrew and Sarah when they first married?

The issue for Frogmore back then and now, is it a listed property. Much of it work couldn't be done on it to update for the couple's taste.

Unfortunately a number of the homes at Windsor are being used for purposes. Cumberland lodge for instance is used for meetings and educational events by a charity. I guess a new home could be found for the charity to use but that seems unlikely. And they wouldn't have much more wiggle room for updating.

Could use something like Garden House. Its nothing grand, but if their main home is in London, which seems likely, they don't need a massive manor like Royal Lodge or Bagshot. It was a grace and favor home for Margaret Rhodes until she died.

It would likely need major updating but I assume most houses for them would.

But if their country home is that close to London, I think it might be their main home. For some reason think they may end up larger, at Sandringham or perhaps something near Highgrove from his father.

Why not Highgrove itself?

Charles may be fond of it, but once he succeeds, he probably won't have much time to spend there. Why have it stand empty?

Charles may be fond of it, but once he succeeds, he probably won't have much time to spend there. Why have it stand empty?

Because Highgrove belongs to the Duchy of Cornwall not to Charles. So technically will be William's when his dad is king. I guess Harry could live there with his brother's permission, but it wouldn't be his to pass on.

Garden House and The Granary are both options IMO. Just 'to let' homes so one could easily be removed from the market and renno done to suit their taste...but not sure either would be big enough once they have children and need nannies, protection officers, guest rooms etc.

LaRae

There has been speculation about the Cotswals, and ones being bought or so on and so on for months. The DM keeps changing its story. Though a rental property may make sense, if they need time to do work on a country property. If they take over a property on one of the royal estates, they will need work.

Garden House and The Granary are both options IMO. Just 'to let' homes so one could easily be removed from the market and renno done to suit their taste...but not sure either would be big enough once they have children and need nannies, protection officers, guest rooms etc.

LaRae

Indeed. Amner was a rental (well leased out) property and they took it back and turned it into a home for the Cambridges. Garden house would seem more likely, at least aesthetically. The Granary looks like a converted stable block, and lacks any real character.

But size would be an issue. The protection officers wouldn't live with them, or the housekeeper. But a nanny would. Four bedrooms would not leave room for a guest room if they had 2 kids.

Last edited:
There has been speculation about the Cotswals, and ones being bought or so on and so on for months. The DM keeps changing its story. Though a rental property may make sense, if they need time to do work on a country property. If they take over a property on one of the royal estates, they will need work.

Indeed. Amner was a rental (well leased out) property and they took it back and turned it into a home for the Cambridges. Garden house would seem more likely, at least aesthetically. The Granary looks like a converted stable block, and lacks any real character.

But size would be an issue. The protection officers wouldn't live with them, or the housekeeper. But a nanny would. Four bedrooms would not leave room for a guest room if they had 2 kids.

Yeah that's kinda why I think if they do a country house (and I think they will) it's going to be a good sized place to make room for the future. I don't think the suggestions of the Cotswolds etc are really likely...there are over 150 buildings/homes on Sandringham they could be given at no cost...the rennos could be handled the same way as was done for the Cambridges.

Frogmore is a lovely romantic idea just not sure that is really an option.

LaRae

Yeah that's kinda why I think if they do a country house (and I think they will) it's going to be a good sized place to make room for the future. I don't think the suggestions of the Cotswolds etc are really likely...there are over 150 buildings/homes on Sandringham they could be given at no cost...the rennos could be handled the same way as was done for the Cambridges.

Frogmore is a lovely romantic idea just not sure that is really an option.

LaRae

There may be many buildings on Sandringham, but like the Granery and Garden house, most would be quite small. And many not houses. But yes, much cheaper for them to renovate a building they already own. I find the suggestion York cottage would be renovated for them, far more likely then some of the recent stories.

A couple of the members here who have been there are kinda skeptical about being able to renno York Cottage (although I love the look and history of it myself!) due to restrictions (historic home) and the way it's made.

I wonder if there are other big homes on the estate similar to Amer?

LaRae

A couple of the members here who have been there are kinda skeptical about being able to renno York Cottage (although I love the look and history of it myself!) due to restrictions (historic home) and the way it's made.

LaRae

I also thought it looked pretty

LaRae

The work would be limited to inside, as they couldn't expand the building. And opening up rooms to make 'open concept' would be impossible. But they could still modernize the home quite a bit. And it is quite large, when converted back from both offices and flats.

Unfortunately unlike Great Windsor park, sandringham doesn't have a number of homes on the estate.Beyond Amner and York cottage, the only other major house on the property was Appleton. The queen's parents lived in it during the war. Unfortunately it was demolished in 1984.

The media are reporting York Cottage as if it's a done deal. Also, apparently it's haunted. :cool:

:previous: Yes if the DM is to be believed it is a horror filled building no royal has ever liked being inside, and is haunted by the Duke of Clarence.

Be hilarious if they were given the home, and the title Duke and Duchess of Clarence. Can Just see the headlines.?

Honestly I don't think it would be that big of an issue with modern technology and money to improve the home. Even if you cant open up the rooms. If you can turn a row of 16 century miners cottages into an airy home (I lived in proof of that), I am sure a competent architect and designer can work with York.

I actually like the look of the outside. Like it better then Amner honestly.

I think Harry's next house move will be to a larger apartment within KP. Whether it is the apartment currently used by the Gloucesters or another one, remains to be seen.

Once Charles succeeds to the throne, there may be a bit of a re-organisation of properties. If I were to hazard a guess, William will take on Highgrove (as it is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall and is probably an expensive estate to run), and Harry possibly taking on Anmer. If Harry wants a country home in the interim, a smaller property could probably be found on the Windsor estate or another Duchy of Cornwall property.

Does Prince Andrew have a country house?

Andrew's principal home is Royal Lodge at Windsor. He also has an apartment at Buck House.

This is very much the model followed since the reign of King George VI, where "main line" members get a country home and a substantial London home, whilst others get one or the other.
- Margaret got a substantial London apartment, but no country home
- Anne got Gatcombe, and only a small suite of rooms at SJP
- Andrew got Sunninghill and then Royal Lodge, but only a pied-a-terre at BP
- Edward got Bagshot Park, and a pied-a-terre at BP

In Harry's case, I think he will get a substantial apartment at KP. When his father succeeds to the throne, he may get a country home as well (Anmer?).

Last edited:
It could be years before Charles is King. I don't think they will make Harry wait that long for his own escape from town.

LaRae

He is the second son and so won't necessarily get the same things William does. Andrew, Edward and Anne, for instance, have large country estates but only small apartments in BP. Margaret, also a second child of a monarch - had the large apartment in London but no real country home at all. She simply stayed with her sister or mother.

Why expect more for Harry - unless he wants to put his hand in his own pocket and use his inheritance from Diana to buy something for himself he should get the same as the current second child/son of the monarch - a house either in London OR in the country but not both.

William will end up owning Sandringham and Balmoral outright, and, for a time Highgrove through the Duchy of Cornwall which is why HM gave him a house on the Sandringham estate - and gave Charles Birkhall on the Balmoral estate - because in time they will own the estates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom