Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The best thing would be for Harry and Meg to get Highgrove, but I also feel they should have their own place with no memories.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best thing would be for Harry and Meg to get Highgrove, but I also feel they should have their own place with no memories.

If Harry wanted to live at Highgrove that would probably mean the good memories were better than any bad memories. And Meghan has no memories of the place.

If they have good memories (and reportedly they do) of Highgrove then why not take advantage of the opportunity to use it if they want to? Anyway, you can't get rid of memories just by avoiding a certain house.

LaRae

The claim I found interesting in the story was that Charles bought houses adjacent to Highgrove 10 years ago. That seems like something that would be easy to check through the land registry, and therefore less likely to be an embellishment.

However, I have to laugh at the supposed "friend":

'Harry is being discreet,' a friend says. 'This is a word-of-mouth search, with Harry's friends pulling out all the stops.'

Umm... someone's comfortable with cognitive dissonance...

That will be interesting to watch. ;) To see what Meghan's wishes are for her life with Harry, as distinct from royal expectations. Though I think it will always be Harry running interference on everything. (Rightly so).

Cotswolds would be beautiful! :flowers:

Chippy, my old stomping ground. I lived in a small village between Chippy and Hook Norton for about a year when I was in the UK. It seems a reasonable idea, not overly far from London but close to polo and social circles. But I don't believe these things. I am on page with those who suggested it was a real estate brochure sponsored by some agents and turned into a story. Not too long ago we had a very similar story about looking at houses in Norfolk.

Please note that a number of posts have been edited or deleted as they were off-topic. Let's stick to the topic of the thread and leave William, Catherine and the Kents out of it. Thank you.

If Harry wanted to live at Highgrove that would probably mean the good memories were better than any bad memories. And Meghan has no memories of the place.

why don't people leave it to them to decide where they live? If Highgrove is available (I don't thnk it will be) and they want it, I suppose they'll get it. but surely they know whether they will like a particular house rather than outside people.

The Cotswolds are relentlessly 'smart' and snobby. Ms Markle may well feel more comfortable in the more relaxed atmosphere of Norfolk/Suffolk.

Smart and snobby they may be; they’re certain to be delighted to welcome royalty into their circle. It seems likely that Harry already has many friends there.

The Cotswolds are relentlessly 'smart' and snobby. Ms Markle may well feel more comfortable in the more relaxed atmosphere of Norfolk/Suffolk.

Heck with Meghan being uncomfortable. If there's anyone that can smell a snob a mile away its Harry. It would be a joint, easy decision for the both of them to avoid the snobbery and pretentiousness that may exist in places. :D

IMO, Highgrove is not an option. It is owned by the Duchy, and will eventualy end up with William. Even if the Duchy were to lease the house to Harry, it would be an extremely large and expensive property to run, something he may not realistically have the resources to take on.

IMO, Highgrove is not an option. It is owned by the Duchy, and will eventualy end up with William. Even if the Duchy were to lease the house to Harry, it would be an extremely large and expensive property to run, something he may not realistically have the resources to take on.

Unless he does have an active interest in the gardens and the plan for them. Some reports I've read say he loves putzing around in his own little plot. He could live on the property with a lease that says the Duchy of Cornwall would run the estate and things will continue as planned. My guess is that after Charles no longer lives there (may be his weekend bolt hole as King for all we know), the Duchy will use it as a tourist attraction and open it up like they do Buckingham Palace.

I don't see it happening though as a home for Harry. He's got more interests that he is passionate about than gardening even though he's had displays for Sentebale at the Chelsea Flower show (with a whole lot of people working to make it all happen) for a few years. I do seriously though believe that should he marry, he and his wife will pick a place that resonates with the two of them.

Too bad York Cottage is not available but I guess it could be made to be If Henry was interested in it I guess. It's just got estate offices and a few flats in it right now.

Yes, the former PM made headlines for all the wrong reasons as a member of the Chipping Norton set

Cotswolds would be beautiful! :flowers:

I think so too but unfortunately, I doubt there's much truth in this story.

As for KP, it seems to me that Apartment 4B is the only realistic option, at least for now. I can see Harry and Meghan being satisfied with that. But it will be interesting to see what they (and presumably, Charles/the Queen) decide on.

Last edited:
What does 4B consist of and why wouldn't they be satisfied with it?

What does 4B consist of and why wouldn't they be satisfied with it?

Its a 6 bedroom apartment that belonged to Charles' secretary most recently. It is said to be quite lavish, said to actually have been nicer then Diana's. So I see no reason for complaint from Harry and Meghan.

To be practical for a second. Harry does not have the income to maintain (never mind buy) a large London home and a country house.

The joy of KP is that maintenance is the responsibility of the Monarch, if you do royal duties it is rent free and it has 24/7 security and privacy.

That leaves money for the country place.

Yeah I can't imagine him/them buying a home in London when they can use KP...buying a country home makes sense.

LaRae

I don't think anyone was suggesting he buy a home in London. The question simply being where to put him palace wise.

Nor would he necessarily buy a country home himself. He may lease or his father may buy. But yes, the upkeep would be expensive. That is why many manors now open their gardens and such to public, or allow shows to be filmed, other ways to make money to continue private ownership.

I don't think anyone was suggesting he buy a home in London. The question simply being where to put him palace wise.

Nor would he necessarily buy a country home himself. He may lease or his father may buy. But yes, the upkeep would be expensive. That is why many manors now open their gardens and such to public, or allow shows to be filmed, other ways to make money to continue private ownership.

Which is in part why I think he might move onto the same estate William is on and take over one of the homes there, or perhaps even build a new one (on a smaller scale).

However we really don't know about his total finances ...or what Charles has agreed to fund ...if he buys something say in the Cotswolds he might be getting some help along the way.

LaRae

If and when Harry is ready for a country home, I am sure the Firm would find him a home on one of the estates. I wonder if there is something for him at Sandringham?

I think if Harry is to have a country home it is more likely to be on the Crown Estate rather than the private property of the monarch.

What happens if say there is a major falling out between William and Harry? Would William continue to allow Harry to have a home on his private estate? What about George or George's heir would they still want Harry having a home on their property?

The advantage of the Crown Estate is that the personal relations between the family won't come into it.

I'm not sure those are questions/scenarios that would even enter into Harry or William's thinking. But I'm also not convinced that Harry would want to stay so close to William, especially if they both already have apartments at KP. Perhaps Harry would want some separation and a place that aligns more with his personality and interests.

Last edited:
Going to make a small request that it would be best to shift away from the present conversation and back to the couple's relationship. This thread has already been closed more than once and I'd hate to see it happen again.:flowers:

Should Harry and Meghan marry, I wonder how long they'd stay at Nott Cott? It does seem to be the current "starter" home for BRF royals who end up at KP. I have to wonder if Apartments 8 and 9 (Harry's childhood home) could be a future permanent London base??

Going to make a small request that it would be best to shift away from the present conversation and back to the couple's relationship. This thread has already been closed more than once and I'd hate to see it happen again.:flowers:

Should Harry and Meghan marry, I wonder how long they'd stay at Nott Cott? It does seem to be the current "starter" home for BRF royals who end up at KP. I have to wonder if Apartments 8 and 9 (Harry's childhood home) could be a future permanent London base??

I think the apartment that Charles' private secretary used to inhabit would be very nice too. Apartment 4B, right?

:previous: Another good choice for Harry and spouse if it has a lovely garden and enough space for a future family. Fortunately KP has its share of green space that other palaces ie: St. James seem to lack IMO.
I have to expect that the RPOs might find it easier to secure the perimeter of one palace complex too.

http://designaddicts.com.au/platfor...3/07/Screen-Shot-2013-07-23-at-7.05.21-AM.png Yes Charles' secretary did live in Apartment 4B.

Last edited:
I think the apartment that Charles' private secretary used to inhabit would be very nice too. Apartment 4B, right?

There has been a few suggestions at KP, especially given the new construction request for space under the Orangery. Apartment 8 has been suggested. Another less likely is Apartment 1, given that the Gloucesters are empty nesters and have another home they rent out. I say that's less likely is because it's so huge (about the size of Cambridge's apartment 1A) and right next to the Cambridges. As much as the brothers love each other, I don't know how they'd feel about being right next to each other all the time. :lol: That's a little too close to family for my taste. :lol:

Last edited:
:previous: Yes, I can see why they might not want to be right next door. I have read that the Gloucesters apparently offered to move and let the Cambridges take Apt. 1. With their children grown and out of their KP home they might be interested in downsizing to a smaller KP home. I'd expect though that like 1A, Apartment 1 will also need a thorough renovation which would likely entail asbestos removal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom