Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited by a moderator:
I think Harry is better off getting a proper large apartment at KP, and getting a more modest and cheaper to run property on one of the family estates. That way, the country house will not need to be paid for (like Anmer), and unlike a Crown Estates property (like Bagshot or the Royal Lodge) for which a long lease had to be paid for by the family.

IMO opinion, it is unlikely Her Majesty will force out her contemporary royals from KP. I've been wrong a lot here on the forums though. More likely that she would force out office staffers to make room for Harry. Even then, it would cause major Reno and time. And I think Charles would be more likely to leverage open some KP apartment.

I read that Prince and Princess Michael rejected the Queen's offer of another house in London, if they would agree to vacate KP.

Perhaps when he is King, Charles won't give them the option? ;)

The problem in a way with forcing Prince and Princess Michael out is that they were told they could only stay if they paid a commercial rent for the apartment, I suspect this was done thinking they wouldn't be able to find the reported £120,000 a year rent. Somehow the couple have managed to find that money and so may a "proper rent" for their apartment. Kicking them out to move Harry in rent free might not be a smart move.

Well re Fort Belvedere, the leasee could be bought off-isn't that what went down with Anmer? And Bagshot is a bit on the large side as well.

I think, knowing Harry's character from what I've seen of the man, that Harry himself would be the last person to want a place to live knowing that he got it by asking someone in the family to leave it.

He just doesn't seem to have the personality type that would want a place that reflects status, grandeur or be reflective of his role in the BRF. I think actually, he'd be perfectly happy with an apartment at KP and maybe the use of a cozy cottage somewhere on the Balmoral estate where he and his family could retreat to in perfect isolation from the public eye. A country home in Norfolk near Amner might also be in the cards. Who knows? Eventually he may be slated to rent out Highgrove once Charles becomes King.

I also am not sure, now that I think about it, that Fort Belvedere is a good choice, due to the association with Edward. Question: who lived there after Edward?

I still say Frogmore is a good choice. Are there houses on the land of Windsor Castle that Harry could live in?

Are there bigger cottages on the estate of Buckingham Harry could take over?

I don't see the Westens being too eager to give up their lease on the house. Galen Sr is British, he was raised north of London, and his wife is Irish. Along with their polo stud farm run from the fort, they also own Selfridges in the UK. They of course own Loblaws in Canada (super store and such) and Holt Renfrew.

It would also be quite expensive, not only to buy out their lease, but also all the work they have put into the home.

Yes Amner was leased, but it only had four years left on the lease. Buying out a lease which has 35 years left on it, as well as the renovations they would have to be compensated for, would be a much larger expense. Certainly made more by the fact that Fort is larger then Amner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think, knowing Harry's character from what I've seen of the man, that Harry himself would be the last person to want a place to live knowing that he got it by asking someone in the family to leave it.

He just doesn't seem to have the personality type that would want a place that reflects status, grandeur or be reflective of his role in the BRF. I think actually, he'd be perfectly happy with an apartment at KP and maybe the use of a cozy cottage somewhere on the Balmoral estate where he and his family could retreat to in perfect isolation from the public eye. A country home in Norfolk near Amner might also be in the cards. Who knows? Eventually he may be slated to rent out Highgrove once Charles becomes King.

I don't want to start speculation, but for many of my +60 year old friends, when they think about it, they often realize they want to change housing, often for mobility, closeness to friends and family and ease of maintenance. Or they ask family to move back in or for friends to do that. I'd say that for 70% of us, once we think about it, staying where we are or as we are is less attractive than it seems at first glance. And so many of my friends this year are "downsizing" (which can be anything from sorting through all the stuff accumulated in life to physically moving to smaller digs) that it's something we actively discuss.
For royal relations of an age it's likely not that much different. So, it may (or may not) be a case of pushing people out, but rather being able to offer alternatives that are more comfortable, still affordable and safe. And these choices are well wound into self image, so they can come slowly, or quickly as life happens to seniors.

I also am not sure, now that I think about it, that Fort Belvedere is a good choice, due to the association with Edward. Question: who lived there after Edward?

I still say Frogmore is a good choice. Are there houses on the land of Windsor Castle that Harry could live in?

What did you mean when you wrote Buckingham? Buckingham Palace is in landlocked London, not on a country estate. If you mean Balmoral, that is in Northern Scotland and not convenient for Royal duties. The nearest airport and railway station are 50 miles away.

I don't want to start speculation, but for many of my +60 year old friends, when they think about it, they often realize they want to change housing, often for mobility, closeness to friends and family and ease of maintenance. Or they ask family to move back in or for friends to do that. I'd say that for 70% of us, once we think about it, staying where we are or as we are is less attractive than it seems at first glance. And so many of my friends this year are "downsizing" (which can be anything from sorting through all the stuff accumulated in life to physically moving to smaller digs) that it's something we actively discuss.
For royal relations of an age it's likely not that much different. So, it may (or may not) be a case of pushing people out, but rather being able to offer alternatives that are more comfortable, still affordable and safe. And these choices are well wound into self image, so they can come slowly, or quickly as life happens to seniors.

Being in the category you're speaking about, I can identify with what you've written and its very possible that the older royals may actually welcome the chance to move and downsize on things. We don't know.

Things may already be in the works and places decided upon and we just have to watch and wait and see what develops. The public is always the last to know about things and by the time we do get the information, we realize that they've been working on it all behind the scenes for a long time.

I think I've been around enough to realize that nothing in the BRF happens overnight and by chance. This is an organization that very easily could use the motto "Be Prepared". ?

The two situations of Anmer and Fort Belvedere aren't remotely comparable.

The lease on Anmer was due to expire in 2017, so when the tenants used the opportunity to consolidate their offices and workshops from two locations into one in September 2013, there was a positive benefit to their business (they've since expanded quite a lot).

The Westons' lease on FB still has 37 years to go, the Westons have an active social life that includes members of the royal family, and there's no real benefit to them to moving somewhere else.

To be clear, when I mentioned Frogmore, it was in the context of "well, if it had to be at Windsor, Frogmore's better than the Castle", taking into account that I think a regular commute from Windsor would be too long and disruptive to others. I don't think Windsor is a great alternative for them.

I think that Harry and his wife are best suited with a main residence in London proper; that's where the administrative offices for W,K & Harry and their Foundation are, that's where a lot of their work gets done (just look at all the meetings that William has held in the last month).

I also suspect that the RF has been aware of the need for Harry to have something long term for quite a while now, and probably have several options in mind.

After Edward VIII moved out, the fort remained empty for 20 years. In 1953 George Lascelles, the son of Princess Mary, and his wife. The couple restored the house turning it into an 8 bedroom house (along with courters for servants). But when the couple divorced, the lease was put up for sale in 1976 and was bought by the Weston family. The Westons happen to be friends of the royals. They were said to be frequent guests of the queen mum, and the queen, Philip and foreign royals have attended parties at the fort that they have thrown.

As for other homes....like Sandringham, the issue is most properties are either being leased or being used for other purposes. It would be a matter of buying out a lease or moving someone out.

Beyond Frogmore and Fort on or near Windsor there is Cumberland but it is currently in use for educational purposes.

Buckingham palace is not like Kensington, there is not a collection of smaller cottages and properties. It is basically the palace and things like the royal mews, and palace gardens. There is more property to it then St James but not like Kensington. If they are going to have main home in London, Buckingham would be the worst choice. Its mainly small apartments, and not a lot of privacy as it is a huge tourist attraction as well as being a working palace. They'd be better off in SJP if not Kensington.

I am still leaning more to main home in London, and then a country home at either Sandringham or Balmoral, one of the private owned estates.

Last edited:
Being in the category you're speaking about, I can identify with what you've written and its very possible that the older royals may actually welcome the chance to move and downsize on things. We don't know.

Things may already be in the works and places decided upon and we just have to watch and wait and see what develops. The public is always the last to know about things and by the time we do get the information, we realize that they've been working on it all behind the scenes for a long time.

Maybe, but I don't really see anyone volunteering.
KP is conveniently located, already has security, and is opulent.

(Let's face it, has anyone in the RF ever willingly moved out? I can't think of anyone).

I still think Harry may get Diana's apartments. I know they are currently office quarters, but since new offices are to be built under the Orangery, I can't see a problem.

I also think Harry may want a country house near Sandringham, since so many of his friends and William's are situated in that area.

I also think he's going to have two properties. One small one and the other one his/their main residence. Especially when the time comes that there will be children in the picture, he'd want to offer his children a real home away from bustling London and it's prying media

I would hope Harry wouldn't get Diana's apartments. I would hope he would want a fresh start without the burden of the past. I would find it a tad creepy if he settled there and I LOVE Diana.

I remain convinced that IF Harry decides on a country home (regardless of size) he will be out somewhere near William and Kate, if not on the same estate.

LaRae

There were lots of frogs jumping about on the marshes in earlier years.

Supposedly. The house was first built in the 1690's on very marshy ground. Heaven knows why they chose to build there, especially as it was probably quite an isolated spot in those days.

Frogmore is a bit on the big side - I cant see such a huge pile for Harry - you need a lot of money to fund for such an expensive estate.

But Harry wouldn't have to pay for upkeep, right? Doesn't the Crown maintain it?

The two situations of Anmer and Fort Belvedere aren't remotely comparable.

The lease on Anmer was due to expire in 2017, so when the tenants used the opportunity to consolidate their offices and workshops from two locations into one in September 2013, there was a positive benefit to their business (they've since expanded quite a lot).

The Westons' lease on FB still has 37 years to go, the Westons have an active social life that includes members of the royal family, and there's no real benefit to them to moving somewhere else.

To be clear, when I mentioned Frogmore, it was in the context of "well, if it had to be at Windsor, Frogmore's better than the Castle", taking into account that I think a regular commute from Windsor would be too long and disruptive to others. I don't think Windsor is a great alternative for them.

I think that Harry and his wife are best suited with a main residence in London proper; that's where the administrative offices for W,K & Harry and their Foundation are, that's where a lot of their work gets done (just look at all the meetings that William has held in the last month).

I also suspect that the RF has been aware of the need for Harry to have something long term for quite a while now, and probably have several options in mind.

Also remember Anmer is part of the Queen's private Sandringham Estate while Belvedere and Frogmore are both owned by the Crown Estates. I imagine given the more public nature of the Crown Estate and its government involvement kicking out a respectable paying tenant for a member of the RF wouldn't go down as well.

Personally I suspect Harry will get a main residence in a large KP apartment and a country house somewhere on a royal estate, Highgrove or Sandringham maybe.

I'm sold on Frogmore. ;) One of the few royal houses that I love at first sight/picture. It's really gorgeous.

Well re Fort Belvedere, the leasee could be bought off-isn't that what went down with Anmer? And Bagshot is a bit on the large side as well.

Anmer is the Queen's own property so there is nothing to stop her kicking out a tenant is she so decides and that is what she did. In addition they needed to get out early to allow for the Queen to pay for the redevelopment.

A lease on a Crown Estate property is different as well. In addition to having paid the lease for decades in advance, not five years as was the case with Anmer, but the leaseholders have spent millions refurbishing the estate and all of that has to be repaid - at the current rate of the work, not the cost at the time.

The PR of the Crown Estate, an organisation that earns billions for the British taxpayers, paying out millions to a billionaire for a house for Harry would be disastrous and no doubt Harry would then want to refurbish to suit himself as well.

Could Harry have the home that Margaret Rhoades used to live in?

Could Harry have the home that Margaret Rhoades used to live in?

Garden house. Considering her husband died in 1981, the house would be vacant now. They moved into the home when her husband got cancer, so they could be close to London for treatment. He died six months later but Margaret remained in the home after.

Cant find much detail on it, but there is a pic of her here infront of the home with her dog

http://www.tatler.com/gallery/queens-cousin-best-friend-margaret-rhodes-dies-aged-91

Last edited:
I don't know, would Harry find it creepy living back in his own old home, the one he shared with William and Diana and has to be full of happy memories?

It's offices now so would have to go through a complete revamp. He and Meghan could opt for what was the familiar for Harry or go for something completely different. It's all about choice.

William chose Diana's engagement ring for Kate, now I did find that a bit creepy, (though could understandish his thought process), Harry opting for his old home with his mum, not so much.

I would hope Harry wouldn't get Diana's apartments. I would hope he would want a fresh start without the burden of the past. I would find it a tad creepy if he settled there and I LOVE Diana.

I keep doing this! NOT looking to see if this is the last post or just the last post on the page!!:bang:

Immediate last post in reply to this one from Scriptgirl! :flowers: Which can probably be merged by someone a lot more tech than me! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom