Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve always wondered, what is the square footage/layout of Nottingham Cottage? It sounds tiny and like something in a fairy tale... perhaps, however, it’s a Cottage in relation to some of the nearby grandiose living space?

Good point. :flowers: Is it just a matter of comparison and is not really 400 sq ft. but a decent 2,000. ;)

It seems to me that if Harry were interested in country living he would have started settling down by now into a country house on his own (not waiting for marriage), though maybe Africa really is his 'country house'. :flowers:

Makes sense that if he marries a non-Brit, they might have a house out-of-the-country, but I am betting on Africa regardless. Just a hunch. :cool:

The build out below the Orangery at KP is for the historical royal palace people not for Royal staff.

The build out below the Orangery at KP is for the historical royal palace people not for Royal staff.

I thought that it was published that the office were specifically for Willam and Harry and their respective establishments.

I’ve always wondered, what is the square footage/layout of Nottingham Cottage? It sounds tiny and like something in a fairy tale... perhaps, however, it’s a Cottage in relation to some of the nearby grandiose living space?

When the Cambridges were living there it was reported to have 2 bedrooms, 2 small reception rooms and a kitchen with a front garden. Definitely much smaller then some of the apartments like their current. Their current is 22 rooms including 2 kitchens.

William and Kate get 'starter home' in Kensington Palace grounds | Daily Mail Online

Even compared to the other separate buildings, its small. Both Ivy and Wren are larger.

I expect Harry to get apt 4B in KP and then a country bolthole closer to Windsor/ Berkshire.... to be closer to the polo crowd - seems to be more of Harry's crowd. perhaps Frogmore.... already in Windsor great park and not another outside purchase.

I thought that it was published that the office were specifically for Willam and Harry and their respective establishments.

In a way both.

The actual new offices will be used by the historic palaces staff. But that frees up the offices they currently use in Kensington Palace. It is reported that will free up the space for the growing staff needs of the royal family. And as such may also free up some living space as well.

I was walking across Kensington Gardens last week and could not help notice that the apartment next to William & Catherine's was going through very extensive renovation. The apartment was fully covered in scaffolding and had a plastic sheet covering it. Could this be an apartment that was being discretely refurbished for Harry?

Logic tells me that the apartment next to the Cambridge's Apt. 1A would be Apt. 1. It is going through renovations. I did a quick search and did find this article from last June. How reputable it is, I have no clue.

If the rumors presented are to be believed, The Gloucesters could be relocating to Barnwell Manor which makes room for Harry and his wife and family at KP.

I don't think we'll get any kind of information for sure about this until at least after the engagement is announced.

It would be really nice though if William and Harry had apartments that are close together. Makes for one big, happy family.

https://www.aol.com/article/lifestyle/2017/06/27/kensington-palace-renovation-prince-harry/23005071/

If the Gloucesters couldn't afford to live at Barnwell before, how could they afford it now? I doubt they are moving, unless they found a buyer for Barnwell and are buying something smaller. I think somewhere other than the Gloucester apt will be found for Harry if necessary.

I just can't picture Harry in Highgrove, of all places. Or William, for that matter. Not while Charles is alive. He has poured his heart and soul into that house and those gardens and made them one of the primary representations to the world of who he is. His sons have been witness to a lot of the effort and thought that Charles has put into it over the years. I can't imagine either William or Harry would be comfortable with trying to make the place his own. Like another poster said, I think it's far more likely Charles will work out some kind of deal with the Duchy, be it a lease or some other arrangement, to keep Highgrove as a personal getaway. And after he dies, I could see Highgrove becoming a museum that makes money for the duchy and serves as a memorial to Charles rather than a home to future royals.

Which still leaves the question of Harry's house. I'm not sure we truly know enough about Harry's leanings to make a good guess as to whether he'd prefer the big country house/London bolthole arrangement or the main house in London/small place somewhere else scenario. And some of that may depend on the personality of the woman he marries, be it Megan or someone else entirely.

...just as much as it will depend on the personality of the kind of community they move into. Hopefully non-hostile, but welcoming. Personally I feel London would be a safer option as the main residencial area to settle into for Harry & Meghan if they do end up getting married and starting a family together. With a smaller place in the country perhaps. My opinion, but obviously whatever happens will be down to them.

I bet Harry and Meghan will KEEP the house in Canada! But I am also hoping They'll buy a home in L.A. for when they visit her parents. And it is Megan hometown in her home country.

Last edited:
What house in Canada? If you're referring to Rideau Hall (Government House), in Ottawa, that is the residence of the Governor General of Canada. I can't think of any other place you could be referring to.

I also very seriously doubt that they would ever buy a home in LA or anywhere else in the US. Of course they'd go and visit Meghan's family but that's not a reason to purchase a home there. They really wouldn't be in the US long enough to actually need a home there. Meghan moved to Toronto and had the resources to buy a home back in LA if she had chosen to but she hasn't (that we know of).

Yeah...I don't see them having a home outside the U.K. Doesn't really make sense to how they will be living.

LaRae

Just because many of you doubt it, doesn't mean it won't happen. Meghan is American not British. The US is her home country. Marriage to Harry doesn't change those two facts and it will not.

You are not expecting Meghan to go home to see her parents and other relatives? Where would they stay if it's not an official visit? I expect Harry and Meghan will be doing many trips to the US. So, it''s not doubtful.

Just because many of you doubt it, doesn't mean it won't happen. Meghan is American not British. The US is her home country. Marriage to Harry doesn't change those two facts and it will not.

You are not expecting Meghan to go home to see her parents and other relatives? Where would they stay if it's not an official visit? I expect Harry and Meghan will be doing many trips to the US. So, it''s not doubtful.

So the only option when they go to visit her family is to live in their own home?

Often folks stay with relatives or they stay in a hotel..or a condo for a week.

The idea that Meghan won't go to the US to visit folks unless she has her own private home doesn't make sense.

LaRae

Meghan is or wont be the first foreign royal bride. Mary and Maxima to name two. I don't believe either own houses in their home country and yet visit. She has been living in Canada for over six years and doesn't have a home in the US, yet visits. I don't see her suddenly seeing a need to own a place there.

Meghan is or wont be the first foreign royal bride. Mary and Maxima to name two. I don't believe either own houses in their home country and yet visit. She has been living in Canada for over six years and doesn't have a home in the US, yet visits. I don't see her suddenly seeing a need to own a place there.

I thought that Maxima and W-A had a private home in Argentina, bought in the last few years. I know I've seen pics of them and their girls during extended visits to Argentina in recent years.

I don't know that I think it's all that likely Meghan and Harry would want or need a house in LA. If they do marry, they'll most likely be based in the UK much of the year with occasional visits to the US and, probably, Africa. As ridiculous as the house prices in LA are, it would make far more sense to rent a place or stay in a hotel when visiting.

I thought that Maxima and W-A had a private home in Argentina, bought in the last few years. I know I've seen pics of them and their girls during extended visits to Argentina in recent years.

Yes, Max and W-A bought their own place in Argentina. I don't think Mary and Fred have anything in Australia.

Owning their own potentially cuts down on security costs over the long term because the house can be selected or constructed with lodging for RPOs and maintained in a secure fashion with less need to have officers scouting out every little thing/screening staff/etc. before every visit. I suspect that's not as big an issue for Mary's visits home because Hobart is smaller and more remote, thus a more contained and simpler security situation than a place like Buenos Aires. But LA would certainly be one of those cities where security for regular visits could be costly and complicated without the control that a house of their own would give them.

I suspect W-A and Max are also sensitive to potential bad optics of being seen as staying in the home of a man (her father) who had a role in a former regime that the Dutch government has denounced (remember, he wasn't allowed at their wedding). While it's less of a big deal, if certain members of Megan's family continue to run their mouths to the press it might be handy for Megan and Harry to be able to show that they are always in control during their visits to her homebase and not subject to the whims of those family members. Not that those who've been problematic are particularly close or folks they'd likely be with anyway, but I'm talking about optics.

I'm of the opinion that, if they marry, the smart move would be for Megan to purchase a place in CA that meets their needs with her own money before the wedding. That way they have a home base there but no one can complain about a British prince spending princely funds on a house that isn't in the Commonwealth. There would still be complaints (there are always complaints about something) but they'd have less teeth.

I don't think they'll buy a home in LA, what ties does Meghan still have to LA? Her mother still lives there, yes, but I don't believe that her father does, she has no full siblings who live there and has made her home in another country for several years. It seems to me that it will be her mother joining her in England for holidays and visits going forward and it wouldn't surprise me if Meghan helped her mother relocate to London once grandchildren arrive.
My guess is Harry and spouse end up in one of the larger KP apartments, the question in my mind is which one.

Yes, Max and W-A bought their own place in Argentina. I don't think Mary and Fred have anything in Australia.

Owning their own potentially cuts down on security costs over the long term because the house can be selected or constructed with lodging for RPOs and maintained in a secure fashion with less need to have officers scouting out every little thing/screening staff/etc. before every visit. I suspect that's not as big an issue for Mary's visits home because Hobart is smaller and more remote, thus a more contained and simpler security situation than a place like Buenos Aires. But LA would certainly be one of those cities where security for regular visits could be costly and complicated without the control that a house of their own would give them.

I suspect W-A and Max are also sensitive to potential bad optics of being seen as staying in the home of a man (her father) who had a role in a former regime that the Dutch government has denounced (remember, he wasn't allowed at their wedding). While it's less of a big deal, if certain members of Megan's family continue to run their mouths to the press it might be handy for Megan and Harry to be able to show that they are always in control during their visits to her homebase and not subject to the whims of those family members. Not that those who've been problematic are particularly close or folks they'd likely be with anyway, but I'm talking about optics.
You seem to assume that Willem-Alexander and Mâxima own a house in Buenos Aires. That is not the case. They try to avoid BA as much as possible because pf the paparazzi, but if they are in BA they either stay in a hotel or with Máxima's parents (now mother). I've never read a complaint about them staying with her parents.

They own property in the Bariloche area, where they have stayed a few times on their biannual vacations to Máxima's home country. Máxima's brother Martin lives in that area as well.

All this is to say, that in my opinion there is no reason at all to own a home in LA for visiting once or maybe twice a year. Staying in a high end hotel (if the house of Meghan's mother doesn't work) where they are used to deal with high profile guests is certainly much easier and less expensive. A vacation home would be something different, but I am sure they can think of many other spots than LA to spend their holidays.

JUst how much money do you think Harry has?

He life style is courtesy of his grandmother (she houses him, rent and maintenance free) and father. And in yrs to come, courtesy of his brother.
He is 33 years old and owns nothing of substance. Money will be tied up to deliver a private income, not cash to spend.

Yes, he has a few million but its not enough to buy and maintain an estate in the UK, a home in the US and/or a home in Canada.

With the exception of Prince Charles (Romania) no one owns property abroad - and he rents that out!.

Does Charles even own that Romania property himself or the Duchy of Cornwall?

Does Charles even own that Romania property himself or the Duchy of Cornwall?

By all that I've been able to find out about it, Charles does indeed own the property himself. The clincher in supporting my belief is that if the properties were owned by the Duchy of Cornwall, they would also be managed by the Duchy of Cornwall which isn't the case. Charles' properties in Romania are managed by Count Tibor Kalnoky, Baron of Korospatek of Romania.

Transylvanian manager of Prince Charles' homes defends Romania - Telegraph

We forget that Meghan is (would be, might be) bringing a hunk of change to the marriage and may have her own ideas regarding what would be comfortable, with the financial ability to make it happen. :flowers: UK for part of the year, but maybe elsewhere for the rest of the year, as mentioned here several times. Makes sense to me. (Look at Madeleine preferring 'home' over abroad).

The UK is not the easiest of places to feel comfortable for some people, and Meghan will be in the crunch of all that class/status stuff. Will she be happy with it all as a steady diet? I recall listening to an interview with Autumn Kelly in the last year or so and even though she was being discreet one could tell that acclimating to the UK had had it's ups and downs for her. Meghan really needs to immerse herself in the waters, but she and Harry may already know that sustained habitation in the UK would not work for them as a couple. Maybe. :cool:

So the question will be where does Meghan feel is 'home'? L.A.? Toronto? Africa? I think the real choice will be between Toronto and Africa, and wherever Harry is with her, of course. Where is he happiest? Though if Meghan keeps her toe-hold in acting (or producing, or writing) she may want to have a bolthole in L.A. :flowers:

Anyway, it's a lovely predicament to be in imo. Hope they have fun with it all. :flowers: (P.S. I suspect it will be Africa).

Last edited:
I would love to see Harry and Meghan in St James, away from the burden of Kensington and William and Kate. I would also love for them to get Clarence House after Charles and Camilla move to Buckingham.

Kensington Palace as a residence for the royals is the most logical place for Harry and Meghan to reside if and when they marry. Its enclosed with strict security measures already in place which is a prime concern no matter where they live.

Personally, I think Harry would love the idea of living close to his brother and his family. Those two men have always had a very strong bond and I don't see that breaking anytime soon. When William does become King, if there was such a thing, I think Harry would be his vice-king. It would be so nice to have them both living at KP and able to walk over to each other's homes to raid the fridge, frolic with the dogs and just have someone close by to talk to.

Harry isn't going be Vice King. The monarch trains the heir- that's George. When King, William will go to BP and Harry stays wherever he lives. Harry is going to fade like Margaret and Andrew and George and his siblings will rise. It's the monarchy circle of life

Kensington Palace as a residence for the royals is the most logical place for Harry and Meghan to reside if and when they marry. Its enclosed with strict security measures already in place which is a prime concern no matter where they live.

Personally, I think Harry would love the idea of living close to his brother and his family. Those two men have always had a very strong bond and I don't see that breaking anytime soon. When William does become King, if there was such a thing, I think Harry would be his vice-king. It would be so nice to have them both living at KP and able to walk over to each other's homes to raid the fridge, frolic with the dogs and just have someone close by to talk to.

I fully expect to see him choose a home on the same estate where William and Kate live IF he choses a country home. Past that I think he will live in KP somewhat near William and Kate ..if the spacing works out etc .

LaRae

Harry isn't going be Vice King. The monarch trains the heir- that's George. When King, William will go to BP and Harry stays wherever he lives. Harry is going to fade like Margaret and Andrew and George and his siblings will rise. It's the monarchy circle of life

Exactly. It’s so odd a group of people who think Harry is going to be second in command.

True. But these same people think Andrew will be Charles' vice King, and William as heir will come second to Andrew. They thought Margaret was the vice Queen, behind the scenes. They believe strongly in sibling equality instead BRF "circle of life".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom