Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it known where Prince Harry actually lives? Does he have a room with stepmom and dad?:lol:

He occupies Nott Cott at KP. This small cottage was previously occupied by the Cambridge's whilst they waited for their apartment at KP to be readied.

C&C to BP, etc. W&C to CH & HG. Harry to 1A. At QE2's age, really the only justification for the 1A expenditures. JMO. They are pretty frugal, and think long term.

I don't think William and Kate will leave KP until they are King and Queen. If Philip outlives The Queen I can see him returning to CH and I can also see it being left available for Camilla if she outlives Charles.

The Gloucester's and Michael's of Kent also have apartments in KP which will probably become vacant in the next 20+ years.

Harry is only a minor royal now - moving further and further away from the throne so like Andrew before him one home either in London such as at St James' or a country residence somewhere.

If on the Sandringham estate it would be for one generation only in all likelihood whereas a larger private home, bought for him could be inherited by his children - in the same way that Gatcombe will pass to Zara and Peter.

If I'm not mistaken, Andrew was still in the Navy and the Queen gifted Andrew and Sarah the brand new home of Sunninghill. Not sure if it was at the time of their marriage or when though. Andrew took out a 99 year lease I believe on the Royal Lodge after the Queen Mum's death and he had sold Sunninghill.

I've always been a bit baffled by Sunninghill.

I've heard that Andrew didn't like it, but he and Fergie must have approved the plans, since it was built for them. So why did he not want to stay there, divorce or no divorce?

I believe KP has stated the Cambridges intended to stay at Apt 1a when William becomes heir apparent. The Duke of Kent has Wren House on the grounds of KP that will probably come open before the Gloucesters or Prince Michael's apartments.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Harry's not a minor royal now, and certainly won't be in the next reign as Charles only had two children and he's one of them! Just as in the reign after that Harry will be the monarch's only sibling. Until William's children are in their mid-twenties he'll be carrying out public duties.

I do think he'll be getting some accommodation at KP. The Kents are very elderly but if Harry marries in the next few years the Kents won't be tossed out of Wren House on their ears! Therefore an apartment at KP is on the cards, in my estimation. I do think the brothers still shoot together at Sandringham and Spain and elsewhere, so it could be that a house on the Sandringham estate will suit Harry very well.

However, where Harry lives depends to a certain extent on whether he marries, and who he marries. His wife's preferences will come into it all, as presumably Fergie's did with Sunninghill.

Who knows, he may decide to buy a property in South Africa as he has always loved the continent, and decide to live there part of the time.

Who knows, he may decide to buy a property in South Africa as he has always loved the continent, and decide to live there part of the time.

Can he do that? :ermm: I thought he couldn't live away from England. I don't know why I think that, just some random factoid that has gotten lodged in my brain. Am I mistaken? :flowers:

Harry can live anywhere he likes - but if he decides to live outside the UK then he can't be a Counsellor of State.

As for being a minor royal - today most people describe the Queen's own younger children as 'minor' royals and Harry is the same as then - the younger child of a future king. He will be in no different position in the next two reigns than Andrew, Edward and Anne are now - and they are already seen as minor royals.

I thought the talk was that
prince Charles former pvt scty Michael Peat's former apt in KP (apt 4b) was pretty lavish and was earmarked for Harry when the time came for him to have a sold base.

I thought Harry lives in a one bedroom apartment in KP and not Nottingham Cottage.

Michael Peat's former residence was lavish because he used most of his income to decorate the place. Michael Peat would not have left his furniture for the RF not even Harry.

The security bill for Harry would be pretty hefty if he lived abroad. Just think of the costs for his adventures this year- Australia, New Zealand and Africa.

Not necessarily. It could even be that when abroad either he has to pay for it himself or he doesn't have any.

The government can say simply 'you don't want to live and work in the UK and support Britain' then you are on your own.

I would also consider Harry to be a minor royal, ie the same status as the Queen's younger children.

I think he will move to Clarence House next.

But Clarence House is huge as well as quite old. Unless Harry's wife turns out to be independently wealthy, the cost of maintaining it all, while not so bad as Highgrove, would be prohibitive in my opinion. Harry, while he will be a millionare, just won't have that sort of income. The Kents and Gloucesters seem to be able to live quite nicely in KP on high but not massive annual incomes and that would be more comfortable for Harry.

But Clarence House is huge as well as quite old. Unless Harry's wife turns out to be independently wealthy, the cost of maintaining it all, while not so bad as Highgrove, would be prohibitive in my opinion. Harry, while he will be a millionare, just won't have that sort of income. The Kents and Gloucesters seem to be able to live quite nicely in KP on high but not massive annual incomes and that would be more comfortable for Harry.

But didn't Charles spend a great deal of money having Clarence House refurbished after the Queen Mother died and before he moved in? :ermm: I imagine the place as looking (and being) quite spiffy now, not so? Am I mistaken?

Clarence House, although smaller than Apt 1A in KP, is too much for a minor royal.

Harry as a part time minor royal is only deserving a 1 bedroom flat.

In 1992 when Princess Anne married Tim they did not live in government subsidized housing. For several years Princess Anne a full time working royal with 2 children and a husband lived within her and her husband's income without subsidized housing.

IIRC, Princess Anne lived in a few rooms in BP while performing royal engagements. Her children and Mark Phillips lived at Gatcombe. It wasn't until she married Tim that she moved out of BP and on her own. She and Tim lived in their own flat or townhome and after several years of marriage move into an apartment in St. James' Palace.

Harry can live on his own. He can purchase a townhome or a flat in London or he can become a full time royal and receive a flat that is subsidized by the people. It is misleading to refer to William's and Kate's 20000 square feet section of Kensington Palace as an apartment. It is best described as a very large townhome. Apt 1A encompasses an entire section of Kensington Palace. It is four stories. The apartments in St. James' Palace are actually apartments/flats. The apartments in BP are either 3 room bedroom suites or actual apartments.

Harry as 5th in line should expect a few rooms in KP, BP or St. James' Palace.

Prince Charles does not occupy all 4 floors of Clarence House.

The ground (first) floor is opened to the public and he meets dignitaries and members of the public and charities.
The first (second) floor is entirely used by staff of his charities.
The second (third) floor are the bedrooms suites that Charles and Camilla use with some additional guest quarters.
The third (fourth) floor contained suites for William and Harry with additional guest quarters.

Clarence House is clearly too much room for a minor royal.
Even Charles who will be King does not use Clarence House solely as a residence.

The Queen Mother lived in Clarence House because if befits a Queen. Harry will never be King.

Last edited:
I'm amused that you think Harry, who has had a full time Army career up to this point but still undertook many public duties with warmth, enthusiasm and grace, is 'only deserving of a one-room flat'. How many public duties did his brother who didnt have a career for months last year, undertake, again..?

Well, we'll see, won't we, in what sort of accommodation Harry ends up. I can just imagine Charles saying to his much loved younger son when he marries and settles down, "You're only a part-time minor royal and therefore you only deserve a one room flat". yes, I can really see that happening.

Harry is in Notts Cottage at the moment, which isn't one-bedroomed but is enough for him at the moment. When he marries he'll probably get an apartment in KP. Not as large as William and Kate's but it will almost certainly be more than 'a few rooms'. Or he may receive a home like Gatcombe, which was certainly subsidised--by the Queen.

Were there not murmurs after the death of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, that post Charles and Camilla moving to BP when he becomes King, CH will be given to the nation much as Marlborough House was after the death of Queen Mary?
I also believe I read this as part of the reasons William and Kate were given Apartment 1A; there will be no need for them to move their London home until William's reign begins.

Harry will end up with Wren House, IMHO, and Highgrove will be leased from the Duchy for his country house as I can see Charles wanting to keep it in the family, but once King he will have BP, Windsor, Sandringham and Balmoral etc so Harry leasing it would tie that loose end up, nicely for both father and son.

Gatcombe is not just a home. It is a business.

The Queen purchased the home for Princess Anne in 1977. Princess Anne had been married four years.

Charles is said to have expanded Highgrove over the years and built some cottages. Harry can lease one of the cottages. The DM claims Charles bought a 'small' house in Wiltshire. If this is indeed true, maybe that is Harry's future home.

fyi, I said one bedroom flat, not one room. One bedroom flat is 3-6 rooms not counting bathrooms.

William is the future King. Harry is increasingly irrelevant to the future of the monarchy. Their housing needs will also reflect their place in the future of the monarchy.

100 years from now Harry will be a footnote - the brother of King William V - as is the case with men like Prince Henry and Prince George - the younger sons of George V.

Even the soon to be born baby will be a short section in a biography of the future George VII/VIII.

His housing needs will be something similar to Andrew's and Edward's - while single a small apartment in London but when married a family home in the country somewhere but if he insists on a large London home then no country home in the same way that Princess Margaret didn't have a country home.

Last edited:
Well, we shall have to wait and see. This is an opinion based thread and my guess certainly isn't a cottage somewhere, (that's undoubtedly a strange joke), but a flat in KP and a house on the Sandringham estate.

Nor do I think a married Harry will be offered a one bedroomed apartment after marriage, though he's content with it now.

Monarchs allow their relatives what they can afford. George VI was hamstrung by Edward VIII's demands which left him cash poor. He certainly didn't leave his widow and daughters penniless but there weren't countless millions either. The queen allowed Margaret, an urban creature, a London apartment. There's no indication that either she or Lord Snowdon wanted a country home of their own. Margaret stayed at the Queen Mother's homes sometimes.

The Queen, who didn't get the benefit of Duchy of Cornwall money during her minority, helped house four children, not one, as Charles will do, now William has Anmer and an apartment at KP.

Last edited:
The queen allowed Margaret, an urban creature, a London apartment. There's no indication that either she or Lord Snowdon wanted a country home of their own. Margaret stayed at the Queen Mother's homes sometimes.

Snowden did have his own, privately owned, home in the country. Margaret was not fond of it, and did not visit it often.

In 1992 when Princess Anne married Tim they did not live in government subsidized housing. For several years Princess Anne a full time working royal with 2 children and a husband lived within her and her husband's income without subsidized housing.

IIRC, Princess Anne lived in a few rooms in BP while performing royal engagements. Her children and Mark Phillips lived at Gatcombe. It wasn't until she married Tim that she moved out of BP and on her own. She and Tim lived in their own flat or townhome and after several years of marriage move into an apartment in St. James' Palace.

Anne has always had a London home, either at BP or SJP. There was a period for which she rented a flat at Dolphin Square, but that was an interim measure. Whilst at BP, she had her own flat / suite of rooms.

I do not know from where you have derived reference to subsidised housing. Do you consider an apartment at a royal palace as subsidised housing?

Clarence House, although smaller than Apt 1A in KP, is too much for a minor royal.

Harry as a part time minor royal is only deserving a 1 bedroom flat.

Harry can live on his own. He can purchase a townhome or a flat in London or he can become a full time royal and receive a flat that is subsidized by the people. It is misleading to refer to William's and Kate's 20000 square feet section of Kensington Palace as an apartment. It is best described as a very large townhome. Apt 1A encompasses an entire section of Kensington Palace. It is four stories. The apartments in St. James' Palace are actually apartments/flats. The apartments in BP are either 3 room bedroom suites or actual apartments.

Harry as 5th in line should expect a few rooms in KP, BP or St. James' Palace.

Harry is part time at the moment, but in time, will end up with a full time royal role. I think this will happen quite quickly once the Queen passes away. There is no question, IMO, that Harry is seen as a senior royal, and very central to the future of the monarchy, albeit in a supporting role to the monarch of the day.

His housing needs will change, as his personal and family circumstances evolve, rather than his role. For now, I am sure Nott Cott is good enough. Once he has a wife and children, he will need a proper family home. I suspect he will end up with one principal residence, and a smaller alternative base. If he chooses to have a big London flat (possibly KP, or even at BP), he will probably end up with a smaller, less grand property at one of the royal estates (Windsor or Sandringham). Alternatively, he may choose to have his principal home at say, Windsor, and he will then end up with a smaller home in town.

I would be surprised if Harry ended up at Clarence House. I do think the Cambridges will end up moving there when they are the Prince and Princess of Wales.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: I agree, although apartment 1A is bigger, it does not have the necessary cachet for the Heir to the Throne, Clarence House does.

Harry is of some significance as long as he is Grandson / Son of the Monarch. When William will be King and his Children are grown he will pale into the background like the Kent or Glousters

Everyone seems to think that Harry will one day marry... What if he stays single? Will he be leaving in the same apartment as he has lived so far?

I hope that Price Henry will be created Duke of Clarence and will reside in... Clarence House.

:flowers:

Harry is of some significance as long as he is Grandson / Son of the Monarch. When William will be King and his Children are grown he will pale into the background like the Kent or Glousters

Nonsense, with all respect. When Prince Charles is King, the Dukes of Kent and of Gloucester are grandsons of the junior sons of Prince Charles' great-grandfather King George V.

Prince Harry however will be King Charles' very own son. And when his elder brother is King, the same Prince Harry will be King William's very own brother. Uncomparable with the Kents and the Gloucesters.

:flowers:

Relationship from Prince Harry to his Kent relatives

Prince Harry
|
Prince Charles x Lady Diana Spencer
|
Queen Elizabeth x Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark
|
King George VI x Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon
|
King George V x Princess Mary of Teck
-------------------------------------------------
|
Prince George, 1st Duke of Kent x Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark
|
Prince Edward, 3rd Duke of Kent x the Hon. Katharine Worsley
|
Lord George Windsor, Earl of St Andrews (future 4th Duke of Kent) x Sylvana Tomaselli
|
Lord Edward Windsor, Lord Downpatrick (future 5th Duke of Kent)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Relationship from Prince Harry to his Gloucester relatives

Prince Harry
|
Prince Charles x Lady Diana Spencer
|
Queen Elizabeth x Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark
|
King George VI x Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon
|
-------------------------------------------------
|
Prince Henry, 1st Duke of Gloucester x Lady Alice Montagu-Douglas-Scott
|
Prince Richard, 2nd Duke of Gloucester x Brigitte van Deurs
|
Lord Alexander Windsor, Earl of Ulster (future 3rd Duke of Gloucester) x Claire Booth
|
Lord Xan Windsor, Baron Culloden (future 4th Duke of Gloucester)

Last edited by a moderator:
Harry's counterpart is not the Kents & Gloucester but Prince Andrew. At least Harry has a closer relationship with his brother than Andrew has with Charles. He is still going to be pushed out of the spotlight as George and his siblings become adults just like Andrew and Margaret were.

Andrew won't be the sovereign's only sibling however, and Harry will be. Margaret was the Queen's only sibling but the Queen had four children, pushing her out of the limelight. William and Kate are hardly likely to have four, imo.

It will last at least two decades, most likely more (military service, university) before the children of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will start doing royal engagements. That means that Prince Harry is and remains the most important royal for "The Firm" after his brother, the (future) King, and that for beyond his fifties.

Any comparison with the Duke of Gloucester and the Duke of Kent is indeed not possible.

Harry will remain important from a tabloid perspective but now that the dynasty has been secured his importance to the Firm has diminished.

Of course Harry will be the king's son and receive the appropriate perks and carry out royal engagements but like every other second son or daughter, he will fade into the background eventually.

Its just the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom