The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 03:40 PM
Heir Apparent

I did wonder about Diana's old apartment but I think it was included as part of the works to re-do 1A for Kate and Wills so having just been turned into offices for them I can't see it being re-done out again so soon. Also it is probably part of the reason why W&K have indicated they will stay at KP long term, as there is office space for their staff to work from as well so taking it away would not really help.

I'm sure there is a plan, and we will find out soon enough. Even the announcement made at H&M's engagement that they intend to stay at Notts Cottage is understandably moot now they are expecting. I do sometimes wonder if the Royals are as organised as we assume they are and have had a space in mind for Harry all along or if the Queen and Charles are currently touring the palaces with plans and flashlights looking for a big enough space to give H&M a new home :-)

Old 11-18-2018, 04:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Perhaps those saying the Sussex's have been 'short changed' might wait until we SEE what has been arranged?
At this point we KNOW nothing !
I think you are mixing up the point? No one is saying the Sussexes have been shortchanged. Rather some are saying they shouldn’t be provided a home as the rest of HMQ’s grandchildren aren’t, and others are asking why they should be shortchanged as working royals at that suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Why wait for facts to emerge when there might be a suggestion that Meghan has been short changed?
Oh for goodness’ sake, this isn’t about just Meghan. But of course, let’s single her out.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:16 PM
Heir Apparent

If Harry and Meghan purchase a country house, how far from London should such a house be in the country?
Old 11-18-2018, 05:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
Good point! But then it would mean that Harry and Meghan can move in to apartments 8&9 as they are move in ready. Also, apartment 4b should be easy to convert to offices as it was lived in by the Queen's private secretary.

But I agree...I would imagine that some thought was given to where Harry could raise his family.
Offices and private homes are not interchangeable.

Just because Apts 8&9 were renovated into offices does not mean they could be changed back easily or quickly into a home.

And a private secretary's private home does not mean it is automatically already suitable to be offices.

I thought the apartment Christopher Geidt left was one of the smaller staff apartments within KP-apt 4B was Sir Michael Peat's, a former employee of Prince Charles.

https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalt...-william-kate/
7. Apartment 4A: A modest living quarter formerly used by the Queen's director of property services
8. Apartment 4B: Once home to Prince Charles' former private secretary, Sir Michael Peat. He used to pay £47,000 of his £250,000-a-year salary to live there
Old 11-18-2018, 06:56 PM
Royal Highness

What do you mean offices and private homes are not interchangeable?
What happened to apartment 1A after Princess Margaret's death and before it was earmarked for William and Kate? Wasn't that space used for charitable purposes and exhibitions? And now it has been turned back into a home.

Apartments 8&9 are offices for William, Kate, Harry, Meghan and their staff. Before it was the private residence of the Prince and Princess of Wales.

I agree while modifications may be difficult, interchanges do happen.

At the deaths of the Gloucesters and Kents, it is not as if their homes will remain empty. The spaces will be renovated and used for whatever purposes that are required.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:03 PM
Majesty

There is a lot of "talk" online about Harry and Meghan making their "forever home" elsewhere and that they really didn't want to live next to William and Catherine. Now that is just gossip but, it could have merit.

William and Catherine are totally set accommodation wise and they had the opportunity to begin their "parent" phase in Wales and then at Amner House. Their household is set, as are their routines, etc. Harry has merely been the third wheel.

Unfortunately, I do not think that Harry and Meghan are going to be given as much slack as W&C by sheer dint of their age and, should that be the case, a home in the grounds or vicinity of Windsor would be more practical for them to put down roots and have the best of town and country living.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
What happened to apartment 1A after Princess Margaret's death and before it was earmarked for William and Kate? Wasn't that space used for charitable purposes and exhibitions? And now it has been turned back into a home.

Apartments 8&9 are offices for William, Kate, Harry, Meghan and their staff. Before it was the private residence of the Prince and Princess of Wales.

At the deaths of the Gloucesters and Kents, it is not as if their homes will remain empty. The spaces will be renovated and used for whatever purposes that are required.
I believe the point is that Apt 8&9 was converted to office space relatively recently, and knowing the BRF's resistance to wasting money, it would be unlikely for the apartment to be converted back to living quarters after such a short time especially since alternate space in Kensington Palace would have to be converted to office space to house those offices. The money initially spent on the conversion would have been wasted, and then there would be the additional outlay for whatever space was selected for the moved offices. Not the BRF's usual style.

Plus the current location of the offices is very convenient, especially for William, who is going to be at KP for the foreseeable future, so his convenience is a consideration.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:18 PM
Royal Highness

Ah....I see the point now! Thank you.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I believe the point is that Apt 8&9 was converted to office space relatively recently, and knowing the BRF's resistance to wasting money, it would be unlikely for the apartment to be converted back to living quarters after such a short time especially since alternate space in Kensington Palace would have to be converted to office space to house those offices. The money initially spent on the conversion would have been wasted, and then there would be the additional outlay for whatever space was selected for the moved offices. Not the BRF's usual style.

Plus the current location of the offices is very convenient, especially for William, who is going to be at KP for the foreseeable future, so his convenience is a consideration.

I didn't say it couldn't be done, but it does takes time and money-lots of money.

You can't just move a bed out and a desk in and say it is an office because it has a desk in it-it would require more renovation.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:28 PM
Royal Highness

So more and more....it's looking like 4B is the only option if they want to stay at KP and they have more than 1 child. OR, they get a bigger country home and remain at Nott Cott.

Just another random thought...whatever happened to York House, St.James Palace where Willaim and Harry moveto live with Charles after Diana's death? Is York House part of Clarence House now as well?

In addition, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie also lived at St. James. It would be intresting to see what happens to their old apartment as well.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:02 PM
Heir Apparent

From what I've read, the St. James Palace apartments are not as child friendly as KP in terms of green space that children would require. None of the Windsors seemed to want to live there when their children were young, but it was fine for the PoW and his sons when they were teens/young adults.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
So more and more....it's looking like 4B is the only option if they want to stay at KP and they have more than 1 child. OR, they get a bigger country home and remain at Nott Cott.

Just another random thought...whatever happened to York House, St.James Palace where Willaim and Harry moveto live with Charles after Diana's death? Is York House part of Clarence House now as well?

In addition, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie also lived at St. James. It would be intresting to see what happens to their old apartment as well.

I don't know what the BRF are using York House for currently. I wonder what condition it is in and how suitable for a young family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_James%27s_Palace

St James's Palace is still a working palace, and the Royal Court is still formally based there, despite the monarch residing elsewhere. It is also the London residence of the Princess Royal, Princess Beatrice of York, and Princess Alexandra. The palace is used to host official receptions, such as those of visiting heads of state, and charities of which members of the royal family are patrons. The Palace forms part of a sprawling complex of buildings housing Court offices and officials' apartments. The immediate palace complex includes York House, the former home of the Prince of Wales and his sons, Princes William and Harry. Lancaster House, located next-door, is used by HM Government for official receptions, and the nearby Clarence House, the former home of the Queen Mother, is now the residence of the Prince of Wales.[12] The palace also served as the official residence for Princess Eugenie until April 2018.[13]
Old 11-18-2018, 08:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Like Diana's old apartments, York house is now offices. It houses the offices for Charles and Camilla.

I guess it us possible they could convert back to residence. There is going to be a cost to any apartment they move into. Even if they took over 1. They wouldn't just move into the Gloucester space, they'd have some renovations.

I think st James is mainly apartments now. Like Buckingham palace. In the normal apartment/flat sense. It's why it's home to those with family homes away and not needed to raise small kids. Kensington is a mix of flats, cottages and 'apartments' more like a townhouse with gardens and such, like Cambridges have.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:54 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Because as I said in my post, all working royals get a city residence rent free - inc the Kents and Gloucesters. Harry falls into that category too.
-> Yes, yes, yes! But where? There's a real shortage of child/family friendly space in London at the moment. I guess we should look more closely at how Princess Edward and his wife handled their situation as their children began to arrive...

Quote:
When Charles is King there may be more residences going spare to hand out to Harry.
->
Now, there's a thought I'd also been having to some degree.
While the Queen isn't going to ask her non-working cousins Prince and Princess Michael (who tried so hard to distract from her own situation with the "Duke and Duchess of Gloucester are empty-nesters now" announcement to the media), where will a King Charles stand on the lack of housing space for workign royals at KP? Sorry to be so cutthroat, but there is a certain "what comes around, goes around" to it were those two to be asked to relcocate. Those two don't need the security of KP, but Harry and Meghan with children most assuredly would.

Quote:
...Charles could easily provide a country house for them
-> sure, but just like those that may have been offered by the Queen, would it be one that they want?
Quote:
or they could use their own money.
-> and that may already be in the works in the Cotswold toward their country abode.

Harry and Meghan are kind of in a bad position/ bad timing coming after the Queen's four children - even William and Kate didn't have anything more offered and ready to them than NottCott when George was on the way. When the Queen (then Princess and heir) had Charles, she and Phillip had Clarence House available to them.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:28 AM
Majesty

Calm down. This family does not ever panic and act. Especially about housing. They are methodical planners. There are not necessarily forward communicators. It's all about "in the fullness of time" with the Windsors.
Trust me, there is a plan to house the Sussex family and the Gloucesters. There is a plan for all those administrative desks. There is even a plan to house or not house the York families.
And don't stray off topic onto those other situations. Harry, Meghan and their issue will eventually have suitable London housing. Calm down. This will take longer than you think it should. But THEY are used to it.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:43 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy-PA USA View Post
-> Yes, yes, yes! But where? There's a real shortage of child/family friendly space in London at the moment. I guess we should look more closely at how Princess Edward and his wife handled their situation as their children began to arrive...

->
Just because we don't know what the precise housing plan is for Harry is does not mean it does not mean it does not exist. I am sure Harry and his family will not go without a roof over the heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy-PA USA View Post
While the Queen isn't going to ask her non-working cousins Prince and Princess Michael (who tried so hard to distract from her own situation with the "Duke and Duchess of Gloucester are empty-nesters now" announcement to the media), where will a King Charles stand on the lack of housing space for workign royals at KP? Sorry to be so cutthroat, but there is a certain "what comes around, goes around" to it were those two to be asked to relcocate.
Unlikely in the near term. They now pay a market rent for their property and are entitled to have it as long as they can pay the rent.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Calm down. This family does not ever panic and act. Especially about housing. They are methodical planners. There are not necessarily forward communicators. It's all about "in the fullness of time" with the Windsors.
Trust me, there is a plan to house the Sussex family and the Gloucesters. There is a plan for all those administrative desks. There is even a plan to house or not house the York families.
And don't stray off topic onto those other situations. Harry, Meghan and their issue will eventually have suitable London housing. Calm down. This will take longer than you think it should. But THEY are used to it.
Very well said.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
BSo I guess you are saying he knows what he’s doing by having them work for the monarchy? If that’s the case, they should get a suitable home like all the other working royals.

I'm sorry, did I missed the part where Harry and Meghan apparently started living on the streets? They've been provided with a home or did the situation with Nottingham Cottage changed?
Old 11-19-2018, 06:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
This is right on the money. This is a "Firm" that doesn't do anything by half measures or on a whim or flight of fancy. They've just not let us in on what the plans are.

We will not be seeing the Sussex family based at Centrepoint anytime soon. They'll let us know they're moving and where too when the time comes.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
I'm sorry, did I missed the part where Harry and Meghan apparently started living on the streets? They've been provided with a home or did the situation with Nottingham Cottage changed?
I’m sorry, did you miss the context of what I said? Or that all future residence discussion is now surrounding the fact that Nottingham Cottage is unsuitable for a family?

Closed Thread

Tags
highgrove, prince harry, prince william, residences