The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1581  
Old 11-04-2018, 10:10 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
There are reasons to rent when you have the money to buy, like flexibility. Given the possibility of changing space in the next few years, it would be wise for them to rent rather than buy.
__________________

  #1582  
Old 11-04-2018, 10:14 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
Well I very much agree with you on renting, anyone regardless of who you are or how much money you have seems to me a waste of money on something that is no value to you in the end. I see that some people in this world who have bank accounts with no end in sight of money would consider renting as they have no understanding of the value of money when they have everything at their disposal.

There are people all over the world (particularly Europe) that rent for all kinds of reasons....it isn't a negative for everyone to rent and it may have nothing to do with money at all, or not knowing the value of it...which I am pretty sure that is not the case with Harry/Meghan.




LaRae
__________________

  #1583  
Old 11-04-2018, 10:20 PM
M. Payton's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 1,850

I would think they would plan for this ahead of time as they most certainly knew they wanted a family........all children need stability in life and I really do think that even William and Catherine take that into consideration when having children. IMHO renting when you can afford to buy is still a huge waste of money......for then in buying you can always sell for a profit and buy another!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
There are people all over the world (particularly Europe) that rent for all kinds of reasons....it isn't a negative for everyone to rent and it may have nothing to do with money at all, or not knowing the value of it...which I am pretty sure that is not the case with Harry/Meghan.




LaRae
I am not talking about *people all over the world* here or in Europe. And I *never* said it was a *negative Pranter so please do not put words in my mouth or comments. And none of us really knows how Harry or Meghan think about the value of money as we do not know these people. IMHO I see renting by anyone who has tons of money as a waste of money, in buying a piece of property to live in when you want to move again, then sell it for a profit and buy another.......to me that makes sense yet that is MY opinion and I do not expect anyone to agree with me....I do see the FC is live and well and heaven forbid anyone disagrees with them about Harry and Meghan. We all are entitled to our own opinions here or not........
  #1584  
Old 11-04-2018, 10:30 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,091
Just because you have the money to buy doesn't mean you have found the right property..they've only been married 5 months or so. They may be waiting for something to happen at Sandringham or for all we know looking at options every weekend....or maybe they need to figure out exactly where they want their 'bolthole' to be located.

Military families move often and their kids are not damaged from it. I think their children will survive if the first year of life they aren't in the same house every day...and we know they wouldn't be anyway because Harry/Meghan will be going back/forth to London just like the Cambridges.

LaRae
  #1585  
Old 11-04-2018, 10:40 PM
M. Payton's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 1,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Just because you have the money to buy doesn't mean you have found the right property..they've only been married 5 months or so. They may be waiting for something to happen at Sandringham or for all we know looking at options every weekend....or maybe they need to figure out exactly where they want their 'bolthole' to be located.

Military families move often and their kids are not damaged from it. I think their children will survive if the first year of life they aren't in the same house every day...and we know they wouldn't be anyway because Harry/Meghan will be going back/forth to London just like the Cambridges.

LaRae
And as I said before that *is my opinion here* so you tell me am I allowed to have a different opinion from the FC or not..........and I was not talking about military families either..........the only people I was talking about is Harry and Meghan...they knew they wanted a family before the marriage as we all know as Harry as stated as much long before Meghan and I am sure she agreed with him.......so IMHO I would think they would plan for a home big enough for a family while getting married......that is something I think most sensible couples do when knowing they are going to be together in life as a family.

I am not going to go back and forth with you over this........you can disagree with me as that is not a problem for me........I like long term planning for me when considering something important in life........like an employer once said to me........what are your goals 5 years from now........planning a life to me is what sensible goal minded people do.........not haphazardly merrily going along in life without a thought.
  #1586  
Old 11-04-2018, 10:44 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
Most kids I know that have moved are not traumatized because they had to move to a different house when they are young. And no, you don't always sell a house for profit. Remember the last decade? There are also costs associated to buying and selling a house. Better be sure before you move into an area permanently. Besides, they'll likely have more option as the royal household changes in the next few years.

I honestly don't care if they rent or buy. I'm sure they are old enough to make the best decision based on what they want. But there is nothing wrong with renting if they want to do it.
  #1587  
Old 11-04-2018, 10:44 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,091
Enough with the snide FC comments. I have posted here more than once when I didn't care for something they did/said/wore. Just because I disagree with you does not mean I agree with or support everything they do.




LaRae
  #1588  
Old 11-04-2018, 11:10 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,028
There are many reasons, we just don't know.

They don't have endless liquid assets. Harry has no income, his interest from his investments is his income outside his dad. They use it to buy a house, they lose a lot of their income.

They might or likely are getting a leased property on one of the estates. Maybe not, but if they will have a country home and not just London base, is more likely. The home may be under renovations and they need done where to stay while done. Owning a home doesn't make sense then.

They may not be getting a country home at all. London may be their base. But right now they live in a cramped cottage. They may be renting a bigger place in the country while their bigger London home is sorted out.

None of us know the real reason.
  #1589  
Old 11-04-2018, 11:16 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,091
Does Meghan get residuals from Suits or any of the projects she was doing before Harry?

I have wondered if an estate will be bought for them at some point if they don't end up at Sandringham. Kinda like Gatscomb was done for Anne. She lives there (and her family) but it's owned by The Queen.



LaRae
  #1590  
Old 11-05-2018, 12:44 AM
O-H Anglophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
I read that Harry and Meghan have a rented house in the country? IF true, why are they renting when they can afford to by a house? That doesn't make much sense and a waste of money on a house that is not really theirs.
Maybe they are renting because the house they will have long term isn’t ready. There are rumors about a house in Windsor.

Maybe they are renting because when Harry’s father becomes King a lot of things will change.

Maybe they are renting because they can’t really sink that much money into buying a substantial property without touching the principal of Harry’s trust fund, thereby decreasing his income.

William rented in Wales when he was in the RAF Search and Rescue because it was a temporary situation. Harry and Meghan could be renting for the same reason- they need temporary accommodations for some reason.
  #1591  
Old 11-05-2018, 02:22 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,773
Reposting from post 1564 above

******************************
In terms of housing, my guesses for H&M are as follows:

> They will end up with a reasonable sized apartment at KP in the next year or so. This will be their main London residence

> They will not own a home in the country in the current reign. If they have the place in the country, they may continue to rent it for the forseeable future

> Once Charles is King, they will probably end up with Anmer, if W&C take on Highgrove

> H&M will not get Highgrove. It is too expensive an estate for them to be able to fund the running of.
  #1592  
Old 11-05-2018, 02:58 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 2,615
Maybe they now enjoy the crowd they meet there in the Cotswolds, people of the "Soho"-group. But once they have their kid, other interests may become further up the list fo them. OTOH I cannot believe Charles didn't plan fo Harry's future, so pobably their new home is already selected but they are doing renovations right now.
  #1593  
Old 11-05-2018, 03:21 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 12,821
Charles will have made some plans - including the massive amount he paid Diana at the time of the divorce.

No doubt he has a trust fund set up for Harry but 99% of Charles' estate will end up being left to William - to ensure that all the money stays in the BRF.
  #1594  
Old 11-05-2018, 03:55 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Coastal California, United States
Posts: 1,230
The rent v. buy discussion is interesting to me because the Queen seemingly changed from buying her children homes - Anne currently owns Gatscomb and Andrew did own Sunninghill.
Now both Andrew and Edward ‘rent’ - they have long term leases on their respective Windsor homes, thus there must be a reason that the RF in recent years has favored leases over outright ownership. Perhaps inheritance taxes? Andrew and Sarah did buy the Swiss chalet, but as far as I know Edward has no real property to pass on to Louise and James.
The Michaels had to sell their country home due to the expense of its’ upkeep and Margaret’s son sold her Mutique home.
Charles as far as I know does not personally own any real property that Harry could inherit. Charles and William are differently situated than the other children/grandchildren of the Queen, IMO.
It’ll be interesting to see whether Harry or the York daughters buy or are gifted property going forward. Their trusts provide income, and to use principal to invest in a property thereby decreasing income and increasing expenses to maintain an estate might not be the soundest financial move in their cases.
  #1595  
Old 11-05-2018, 04:55 AM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 4,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
Well I very much agree with you on renting, anyone regardless of who you are or how much money you have seems to me a waste of money on something that is no value to you in the end. I see that some people in this world who have bank accounts with no end in sight of money would consider renting as they have no understanding of the value of money when they have everything at their disposal.
The main advantage of renting is flexibility. Other than that many people in the world rent because they cannot afford to buy a house (this of course doesn't apply to Harry and Meghan).
  #1596  
Old 11-05-2018, 04:59 AM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 4,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post

I would think they would plan for this ahead of time as they most certainly knew they wanted a family........all children need stability in life and I really do think that even William and Catherine take that into consideration when having children. IMHO renting when you can afford to buy is still a huge waste of money......for then in buying you can always sell for a profit and buy another!
To sell you need a buyer and depending on the market it can take a long time to sell and you might loose money over it (selling within the first few years typically means a significant loss even if the market is stable because of all the associated costs - so, while renting surely costs money it is more predictable). So, while the above is the ideal situation, it is not as certain as that.
  #1597  
Old 11-05-2018, 05:16 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 15,325
Harry and Meghan, IMO, are being pragmatic. They wanted and needed something away from KP and Nottingham Cottage to go to and kick back, visit with friends and be away from the hustle and bustle of city life.

Renting a place in the Cotswolds is ideal as it serves their purpose, isn't binding as a "forever" home and is much more private (great for a honeymooning couple) and large enough to have friends (and gramma to be) stay over unnoticed. Its a place to be while they sort out where their permanent spot will be. For all we know, they could be on a rent to own plan.

The Sussexes are in a period of transition. Transitioning into their own household, from being single people to newlyweds expecting their first child. Transitioning into a household with more than one dog. Transitioning into their roles as full time working members supporting the monarchy. Transitioning into the rest of their life. They're not being hasty about anything or doing it haphazardly.

The Sussexes have time now. No hurries and no worries about a permanent home. They're doing it the pragmatic way.

Come to think of it, once they do give up the property they're renting in the Cotswolds, the owner of that property, should he decide to rent it again, can easily do so as it would go quickly with the fact becoming known "Harry and Meghan Slept Here!"
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #1598  
Old 11-05-2018, 05:46 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
The rent v. buy discussion is interesting to me because the Queen seemingly changed from buying her children homes - Anne currently owns Gatscomb and Andrew did own Sunninghill.
Now both Andrew and Edward ‘rent’ - they have long term leases on their respective Windsor homes, thus there must be a reason that the RF in recent years has favored leases over outright ownership. Perhaps inheritance taxes? Andrew and Sarah did buy the Swiss chalet, but as far as I know Edward has no real property to pass on to Louise and James.
The Michaels had to sell their country home due to the expense of its’ upkeep and Margaret’s son sold her Mutique home.
Charles as far as I know does not personally own any real property that Harry could inherit. Charles and William are differently situated than the other children/grandchildren of the Queen, IMO.
It’ll be interesting to see whether Harry or the York daughters buy or are gifted property going forward. Their trusts provide income, and to use principal to invest in a property thereby decreasing income and increasing expenses to maintain an estate might not be the soundest financial move in their cases.
The Queen has not changed her mind on but vs rent, its just the properties her younger sons have chosen to live in. Neither properties were available for sale, but could be leased out long term. Andrew and Edward live on Crown Estate properties that they acquired long leases on. The bulk of the lease rentals were paid at the outset, and it a small annual charge is now payable. So for their life times, it is like owning the property.
  #1599  
Old 11-05-2018, 06:18 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 2,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Charles will have made some plans - including the massive amount he paid Diana at the time of the divorce.

No doubt he has a trust fund set up for Harry but 99% of Charles' estate will end up being left to William - to ensure that all the money stays in the BRF.

But there are properties that belong to the estates that are privately owned by the queen. I don't think if Camilla ever becomes queen dowager she'd want more than stay in Clarence House, so Birkhall could go to Harry. Both Meghan and Harry love long walks on private land, so this could well the place they decide to spent their time on the countryside. And who says that life at Balmoral or Sandringham, even Windsor stays as it is under King Charles? They could have their own flat at Windsor for the weekends - who says they need a large house completely staffed when they could use Charles' staff just like when Harry and William lived at Clarence House? I bet Charles would love to have them as live-in relatives over the weekend, when he has more time to spend in the nursery with the grandkids.
  #1600  
Old 11-05-2018, 06:43 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 15,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
And who says that life at Balmoral or Sandringham, even Windsor stays as it is under King Charles?
This is a good point. The Queen has reigned for so long that how things are done now seems ingrained into us because that is, for most of us, all we've ever known. How HM does things have almost come to be "tradition" as we know it.

I would imagine that there are many plans in the works already set to go as far as how Charles wants things to be but its not done that it becomes public knowledge. Its kind of crude to be purporting this and that about Charles' reign as it kind of has him saying "when my mother dies....". The wheels of change are churning but we just don't hear them.

All we can do about Harry's future residences is give opinions on what we see and what we feel and then maybe be totally surprised and say "I didn't see *that* one coming!!".
__________________

__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Closed Thread

Tags
highgrove, prince harry, prince william, residences


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (0 members and 5 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
abdication biography bridal gown british chittagong cht clarence house coronavirus crown princess victoria danish royalty diana princess of wales dna dubai dutch dutch royal family earl of snowdon facts fantasy movie general news thread george vi heraldry hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hill historical drama history house of glucksburg intro italian royal family jewellery jumma king salman languages list of rulers mail mary: crown princess of denmark monaco history nepalese royal jewels nobel 2019 northern ireland norway norwegian royal family palestine prince dimitri princess alexia (2005 -) princess chulabhorn walailak princess laurentien princess of orange queen mathilde random facts royal court royal dress-ups royal jewels royal marriage royal re-enactments. royalty of taiwan royal wedding royal wedding gown saudi arabia serbian royal family settings snowdon thailand thai royal family tips tracts uae customs united kingdom united states of america wittelsbach working royals; full-time royals; part-time royals;


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:52 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×