Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not even Birkhall. It is part of the Balmoral estate. Charles was allowed the use of Birkhall at Balmoral after the death of the Queen Mother. The only private property the QM ever owned was the Castle of Mey which is now open to the public.

Ah, ok. His website seems to imply that it's his property, but I could be misreading that.

There is, of course, his vacation home in Romania, which is very crucial to his claim to the Romanian throne....

When Charles is king, I see him having 4 homes: BP, Windsor, Sandringham and Balmoral.

The Cambridges will probably have Clarence House, Birkhall, Anmer Hall.

Harry will probably get the current Cambridge apartment in KP and a country residence, I would have guessed Highgrove but there is the Duchy ownership issue there.

When Charles is king, I see him having 4 homes: BP, Windsor, Sandringham and Balmoral.

Harry will probably get the current Cambridge apartment in KP and a country residence, I would have guessed Highgrove but there is the Duchy ownership issue there.

The Cambridges will also have Highgrove as William will be the Duke of Cornwall.

As Harry will probably already be settled whereever he is as will be William and Kate and family I don't see any major moves other than Charles and Camilla taking over The Queen's apartments and Philip, if he survives her moving into CH and elsewhere but particularly into CH.

I don't see The DoE moving to Clarence House. The QM and PM were much younger and needed long term housing. I think the DoE will move to Windsor Castle so he can live out his few remaining days looking out over his park and gardens.

He already lives at Windsor.

He won't stay in the palace with Charles and Camilla and will need his own London base - regardless of how old etc he is - as he is a consort of a monarch.

I strongly suspect that Will and Harry will both have apts. @KP and as older folks move out/die off
, they will take over more and more of KP until W&C have to move to BP. Also, I read that Frogmore had been earmarked for Phillip should he survive HM.

Frogmore is at Windsor and the tradition is for the surviving consort to have a London base as well as a country base - so CH and Frogmore.

When Charles is king, unless one of his sons moves to CH, it will probably remain empty, and if that happens, the BRF are likely to give up the palace altogether.

CH is part of the St James' Palace complex so they won't be giving it up. It might remain unused for a while but there is now a new prince who will need a home in about 25 - 30 years as he sets up his home so CH could be kept for him for his home while he waits to become King.

Largely agree with you , though I think the Cambridge's would have Clarence House, Highgrove, Birkhall and possibly, Anmer Hall.

Harry would probably move to KP 1A, and may get Anmer. If not, he would get another country home, probably to the West of London.

Last edited:
That happens when your a second child, you get the hand me downs from the older sibling. :lol:

I don't see any reason for Harry to move from where he will be, assuming he is married and has established his family to somewhere else just as I don't see William moving until he is King.

Largely agree with you , though I think the Cambridge's would have Clarence House, Highgrove, Birkhall and possibly, Anmer Hall.

Harry would probably move to KP 1A, and may get Anmer. If not, he would get another country home, probably to the West of London.

This seems very likely. But would the Cambridges require/be given so many homes? I suppose they would be Prince and Princess of Wales with a big family by then but it makes me realise just quite how many homes the royal family do have.

Is Birkhall a separate estate to Balmoral? If so, Charles could possibly join them together to make one big estate.

Birkhall is located on the Balmoral Estate.

Both Sandringham and Balmoral (privately owned by the Monarch) have many properties on them.. I read yesterday that there are 100 properties on Sandringham Estate, which Anmer Hall is one.

The estates have farms and buildings that they rent out.

This seems very likely. But would the Cambridges require/be given so many homes? I suppose they would be Prince and Princess of Wales with a big family by then but it makes me realise just quite how many homes the royal family do have.

Is Birkhall a separate estate to Balmoral? If so, Charles could possibly join them together to make one big estate.

These properties are all in different parts of the country. Anmer is on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, near the Eastern coast, Highgrove is in Gloucestershire, due West from London, and Birkhall is on the Blamoral estate in Scotland. The Scottish properties tend to get used a few times a year, as is Sandringham. Highrove and CH are used by C&C as their principal homes at the moment, and I suspect CH / KP and Highgrove will be used by William & Kate as their principal homes once they are the Prince and Princess of Wales. They will probably end up using Anmer at Christmas, Easter and a few other weekends every year, just as Birkhall will end up being used over the summer months and a few trips a year.

:previous: Wow! This woman really needs to learn how to not open her big mouth just to change feet!

Reading some of the acid comments I have to agree that she really does epitomise the "let them eat cake" attitude that comes from ignorance and arrogance. :bang:

Last edited:
What right does Princess Michael have to speak publicly about what she things people in her own (extended) family should or might do?! I don't like the way she says the Gloucester's have an 'enormous apartment' but says the Cambridge's is only 'big', and the reason she gives - the kids having moved out - is silly as her kids have left home so maybe she should move out too. IMO she is being quite sly.

What right does Princess Michael have to speak publicly about what she things people in her own (extended) family should or might do?! I don't like the way she says the Gloucester's have an 'enormous apartment' but says the Cambridge's is only 'big', and the reason she gives - the kids having moved out - is silly as her kids have left home so maybe she should move out too. IMO she is being quite sly.

Amen to all of that. What she is really saying is we pay rent on our apartment and we are not moving so look elsewhere.

But this comes from the interview in the DM before Christmas, so its recreating old information in my book. Slow news week as there is only so much you can write about the weather.

Harry might (at a push) get married towards the end of this year and that's if Cressida is the one.

Nottingham Cottage did ok for the Cambridges and if Harry is still based at Wattisham, then they too can rent a nice cottage in the country. However, he could return to his regiment and that means London/Windsor. Time will tell.

I thought Princess Michael was being nice. She said the Gloucesters were by themselves in their large apartment and if they moved then Harry could move into their old apartment and be next to his brother.

Maybe the Gloucesters had commented about possibly moving?

Well Charles and Camilla presently require/are given exactly that many homes, so why would the next PoW not be given them?

Well Charles and Camilla presently require/are given exactly that many homes, so why would the next PoW not be given them?

The Prince of Wales only has one official home provided for him, i.e. Clarence House. None of the other homes are state funded. Highgrove and the Welsh place are owned by the duchy of Cornwall, and Birkhall is privately owned.

In the current reign, I think the Cambridge's will be restricted to KP and Anmer. Once Charles is King, I suspect the Cambridge's will get Highgrove, Birkhall as well a the Welsh home. They may continue at KP, or move to Clarence House. I suspect they may let Harry then have Anmer.

I think till he is married, Harry will remain either in the small flat at KP, or move to Nott Cott. Once married, I suspect he will end up with a larger apartment at KP. depending on timing, he may also be given a country home, possibly Anmer.

Last edited:
I don't think William will leave Anmer Hall until he is King as Charles will have the big house at Sandringham and William have Anmer Hall - like the monarch using Balmoral and the heir using Birkhall which has happened for quite some time. William may even move into Balmoral as heir if Charles decides he doesn't want to make that move. As far as Highgrove is concerned - yes it is Duchy property but it is also Charles' beloved home so it is possible that he won't leave there.

Harry is increasingly going to be a minor royal - just as Andrew and Margaret did before him and so will get a London apartment and maybe a country home on one of the estates somewhere but smaller than William.

Another question about future homes is what will happen to the London apartments of Anne, Andrew and Edward which are currently at BP? Will they continue to have those apartments when their brother is King? What about when their nephew is King? If they have to leave BP where will they be sent for their London base?

I don't think William will leave Anmer Hall until he is King as Charles will have the big house at Sandringham and William have Anmer Hall - like the monarch using Balmoral and the heir using Birkhall which has happened for quite some time. William may even move into Balmoral as heir if Charles decides he doesn't want to make that move. As far as Highgrove is concerned - yes it is Duchy property but it is also Charles' beloved home so it is possible that he won't leave there.

Harry is increasingly going to be a minor royal - just as Andrew and Margaret did before him and so will get a London apartment and maybe a country home on one of the estates somewhere but smaller than William.

Another question about future homes is what will happen to the London apartments of Anne, Andrew and Edward which are currently at BP? Will they continue to have those apartments when their brother is King? What about when their nephew is King? If they have to leave BP where will they be sent for their London base?[/SIZE]

I thought that Anne was in St James Palace. But it's a good question. I think that Charles will continue to give them a London base for work purposes

I don't think William will leave Anmer Hall until he is King as Charles will have the big house at Sandringham and William have Anmer Hall - like the monarch using Balmoral and the heir using Birkhall which has happened for quite some time.

Fair point.

William may even move into Balmoral as heir if Charles decides he doesn't want to make that move. As far as Highgrove is concerned - yes it is Duchy property but it is also Charles' beloved home so it is possible that he won't leave there.

Its difficult to tell if Charles will be willing to part with Highgrove for Windsor, and Birkhall for Balmoral. Given how inexorably the crown is linked with Windsor, even Charles as King will struggle to justify having homes so close together, at Highgrove and Windsor.

I agree.

Another question about future homes is what will happen to the London apartments of Anne, Andrew and Edward which are currently at BP? Will they continue to have those apartments when their brother is King? What about when their nephew is King? If they have to leave BP where will they be sent for their London base?

I suspect Anne, Andrew and Edward will continue to be provided with a London base for the rest of their lives, irrespective of who the monarch is. They may be re-organised or moved from their current locations at BP / SJP within these locations, or perhaps to KP or any other suitable location.

Last edited:
Its difficult to tell if Charles will be willing to part with Highgrove for Windsor, and Birkhall for Balmoral. Given how inexorably the crown is linked with Windsor, even Charles as King will struggle to justify having homes so close together, at Highgrove and Windsor.

I wouldn't think Charles would have too much of a choice regarding Highgrove. It's not his private property - it's property owned by the Duchy of Cornwall. When Charles is King he will no longer be entitled to the Duchy estates - they'll be William's.

I could see Birkhall going to William or Harry or being kept by Charles. But Highgrove will be William's.

I wouldn't think Charles would have too much of a choice regarding Highgrove. It's not his private property - it's property owned by the Duchy of Cornwall. When Charles is King he will no longer be entitled to the Duchy estates - they'll be William's.

I could see Birkhall going to William or Harry or being kept by Charles. But Highgrove will be William's.

The Duchy of Cornwall may own Highgrove, but nothing would stop William, as the Duke of Cornwall, to let his father continue to use the property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom