The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1561  
Old 10-22-2018, 04:32 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Well, until then, he's on a lease. But yea, I agree, I don't see them giving up 1A or Amner. That's where they raised/are raising their children.

As for Harry, I just don't see them living in Norfolk. I can actually see some kind of leasing arrangement made with Highgrove if he and Meghan just want a small place in London. It's close to Cotswoulds, which is where they spend a lot of time at.
Harry is unlikely to be able to afford the upkeep of Highgeove. It is a big and expensive estate to run.
__________________

  #1562  
Old 10-22-2018, 10:45 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Wherever I wish, United States
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
The Sussexes reportedly will soon be moving from KP's Nottingham Cottage into the renovated Apartment 1 at KP (which adjoins the Cambridges Apartment 1A), previously occupied by the Gloucesters. Meanwhile M&H reportedly spend weekends at a rented home in the Cotswolds on the Great Tew Estate. Also QEII is said to have gifted them York Cottage on the Sandringham Estate and Adelaide Cottage on the Windsor Estate:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/p...-cottage.html/

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebr...laide-cottage/

https://www.romper.com/p/heres-the-e...-years-9238432
I sort of doubt this. The Queen only gifted William two homes (Amner and 1A) so I question that she'd give Harry three, especially when he is renting the home in the Cotswolds.

Based on precedent it seems that non-heirs only get either a big London apartment (ala Margaret) or a big country house and a small suite of rooms in London for practical purposes (ala Anne, Andrew, and Edward). For any other accommodations, you're on your own.

Given precedent, there seems to be two reasonable scenarios for the Sussexes.
  1. If they plan on leasing the home in the Cotswolds long term or eventually buying a house there then they should take the big London apartment, giving them the best of both worlds
  2. If they don't plan on staying in the Cotswolds long term they likely pick the country house, perhaps choosing something on the Windsor estate
__________________

  #1563  
Old 10-22-2018, 12:08 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillVictoria View Post
I sort of doubt this. The Queen only gifted William two homes (Amner and 1A) so I question that she'd give Harry three, especially when he is renting the home in the Cotswolds.

Based on precedent it seems that non-heirs only get either a big London apartment (ala Margaret) or a big country house and a small suite of rooms in London for practical purposes (ala Anne, Andrew, and Edward). For any other accommodations, you're on your own.

Given precedent, there seems to be two reasonable scenarios for the Sussexes.
  1. If they plan on leasing the home in the Cotswolds long term or eventually buying a house there then they should take the big London apartment, giving them the best of both worlds
  2. If they don't plan on staying in the Cotswolds long term they likely pick the country house, perhaps choosing something on the Windsor estate
The reporting on a permanent home for Sussexes have been so all over the place that it tells me NO ONE really has a good source on it. As with many things regarding the Sussexes. And really, nevermind the precedence, what are they going to do with so many homes? On a different note, I don't think Windsor is that close to Cotswoulds though?
  #1564  
Old 10-22-2018, 12:36 PM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
The reporting on a permanent home for Sussexes have been so all over the place that it tells me NO ONE really has a good source on it.
I have to agree with you on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
On a different note, I don't think Windsor is that close to Cotswoulds though?
About 90 minutes in the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
And really, nevermind the precedence, what are they going to do with so many homes?
In terms of housing, my guesses are as follows:

> They will end up with a reasonable sized apartment at KP in the next year or so. This will be their main London residence

> They will not own a home in the country in the current reign. If they have the place in the country, they may continue to rent it for the forseeable future

> Once Charles is King, they will probably end up with Anmer, if W&C take on Highgrove

> H&M will not get Highgrove. It is too expensive an estate for them to be able to fund the running of.

The Moderators may want to move this conversation to the BRF Royal Residences thread.
  #1565  
Old 10-22-2018, 03:18 PM
Marengo's Avatar
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 21,887
Do you not think that as King Charles will still want to have Highgrove at his disposal? He must have grown rather attached to it over the years considering the time he has spent there & all the efforts he made with the garden and such. The same was the case for Edward VII and Sandringham House.
__________________
TRF Rules and FAQ
  #1566  
Old 10-22-2018, 03:29 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,091
I don't see either of the boys getting HG (until Willam takes it on when he's the King)....it also doesn't make sense for H&M to keep renting a country home for a long time.

So they will either end up buying one (or having one bought for them) or relocated to Sandringham and end up with a renovated home or possibly a new one built there.

Frogmore is very romantic as are some of the other mentions (the Cottage etc) but just doesn't seem likely.



LaRae
  #1567  
Old 10-22-2018, 03:31 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,190
I wonder if Charles will do something similar to his Dumfries House, use Highgrove as King occasionally and use it to show off the gardens, entertain charities, provide employment etc without is being his main residence. Charles seems to do that a lot, Llwynywermod, Dumfries, Castle of Mey - they are all residences he uses regularly but does not own himself.
  #1568  
Old 10-22-2018, 03:35 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,190
The Queen provided her children with a suite of rooms/ apartment in London and provided or helped organised a country residence (mainly through the Crown Estate) for all but the heir (Charles). I wonder if she sees it as down to Charles to provide anything more than an official residence for Harry. I suspect she provided William with Anmer due to his unique position as a future King and in part to ensure he understands how Sandringham works, encourage a love of it etc.
I wonder if the Queen things if she provided a country house for Harry she would have to do the same for all her other grandchildren.
  #1569  
Old 10-22-2018, 03:51 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,091
The York girls will inherit the use of the Lodge so they don't need anything gifted directly....Zara/Mike and Peter (I think Peter and Autumn live there) both live on Gatscomb Estate which was bought by the Queen for Anne and her family.

Edward has Bagshot and presumably his children will have it next.

Really Harry is the only one who doesn't, yet, have an estate he will inherit the use of.


LaRae
  #1570  
Old 10-22-2018, 04:05 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
In terms of housing, my guesses are as follows:

> They will end up with a reasonable sized apartment at KP in the next year or so. This will be their main London residence

> They will not own a home in the country in the current reign. If they have the place in the country, they may continue to rent it for the forseeable future

> Once Charles is King, they will probably end up with Anmer, if W&C take on Highgrove

> H&M will not get Highgrove. It is too expensive an estate for them to be able to fund the running of.

The Moderators may want to move this conversation to the BRF Royal Residences thread.
I don't think Harry and Meghan will make Norfolk their primary home. So in that sense, I don't see them at Anmer at all. It's not really practical since most of their engagements, and their office, is based in London. It worked for Cambridges for a while because they were part time. Even they are only using that as weekend home now. If Sussexes are going to have a distant weekend home, I see them have a bigger home in London, and smaller place in the country. With Cotswoulds and Windsor, it is feasible to commute to engagements for the most part. So, if they are having their primary home in the country, it's going to be in Windsor likely. What I think will happen is they'll have a bigger apartment in London in the next few years with lease in Cotswoulds. And then see what comes up in the country in the next few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I wonder if Charles will do something similar to his Dumfries House, use Highgrove as King occasionally and use it to show off the gardens, entertain charities, provide employment etc without is being his main residence. Charles seems to do that a lot, Llwynywermod, Dumfries, Castle of Mey - they are all residences he uses regularly but does not own himself.
Why would there be such expectation? Harry and William receive rent free accommodations because they are working royals. Others are allowed to carry on a for profit career and actually make money.
  #1571  
Old 10-22-2018, 04:16 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 2,615
Wasn't there talk some years back about a home bought by the Duchy of Cornwall for Harry? Harewood House or so?
  #1572  
Old 10-22-2018, 04:19 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 15,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I don't see either of the boys getting HG (until Willam takes it on when he's the King)....it also doesn't make sense for H&M to keep renting a country home for a long time.

So they will either end up buying one (or having one bought for them) or relocated to Sandringham and end up with a renovated home or possibly a new one built there.

Frogmore is very romantic as are some of the other mentions (the Cottage etc) but just doesn't seem likely.



LaRae
Actually, William will have Highgrove available to him for his use when he becomes the Duke of Cornwall as its the Duchy of Cornwall that actually owns Highgrove. I can see an arrangement being made that Charles still retains use of the property in exchange for Charles extending William's use of Amner Hall. That way nobody has to move and everybody stays where they feel at home in. It just seems logical to me.

Where Harry and Meghan end up permanently right now is anybody's guess. Once its decided though, I think it will be a lifetime residence for the couple with no games of musical residences as the monarchs change. Its not a decision that will be taken lightly and right now, things are working for them with Nott Cott in London and a rental in the Cotswolds that they like. They'll figure it all out. Eventually.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #1573  
Old 10-22-2018, 04:41 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I don't think Harry and Meghan will make Norfolk their primary home. So in that sense, I don't see them at Anmer at all. It's not really practical since most of their engagements, and their office, is based in London. It worked for Cambridges for a while because they were part time. Even they are only using that as weekend home now. If Sussexes are going to have a distant weekend home, I see them have a bigger home in London, and smaller place in the country. With Cotswoulds and Windsor, it is feasible to commute to engagements for the most part. So, if they are having their primary home in the country, it's going to be in Windsor likely. What I think will happen is they'll have a bigger apartment in London in the next few years with lease in Cotswoulds. And then see what comes up in the country in the next few years.



Why would there be such expectation? Harry and William receive rent free accommodations because they are working royals. Others are allowed to carry on a for profit career and actually make money.
Yet the Queen never in her long reign saw it necessary to provide her sister, a working HRH member of the royal family, with a country home of any notable size.
  #1574  
Old 10-22-2018, 04:59 PM
loonytick's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tennessee, United States
Posts: 756
My gut says Highgrove will ultimately become a tourist attraction devoted to maintaining Charles’ legacy. The gardens are already a popular tour and the whole place is just so intrinsically tied to him, almost like the physical manifestation of his interests and passions. I just don’t see either of his sons living there, but rather the home kept available for his use in one way or another during his life and then it becomes a income generation tool for the duchy after his passing.

Which continues to leave the question of where Harry will live. As for that, I don’t really trust any of the reports we’ve seen yet.
  #1575  
Old 10-22-2018, 05:18 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 15,325
Some places are just destined to always be a legacy of a person and I think you're right on the money when it comes to Highgrove, loonytick. Just as when one hears the words Castle of Mey, the Queen Mum comes to mind, Highgrove will always bear the imprint of Charles both on the property itself with its fantastic gardens that reflect Charles' love of the land and sustainability. Some things just stick. Places become more than just a residence but become an extension of the person, themselves.

I think though, whatever residence Harry and Meghan end up with, as things stand right now, it will most likely just be a residence they live in. It would be so interesting though to have a legacy like Highgrove develop with wherever they live though.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #1576  
Old 10-22-2018, 05:50 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Wherever I wish, United States
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
My gut says Highgrove will ultimately become a tourist attraction devoted to maintaining Charles’ legacy. The gardens are already a popular tour and the whole place is just so intrinsically tied to him, almost like the physical manifestation of his interests and passions. I just don’t see either of his sons living there, but rather the home kept available for his use in one way or another during his life and then it becomes a income generation tool for the duchy after his passing.

Which continues to leave the question of where Harry will live. As for that, I don’t really trust any of the reports we’ve seen yet.
I suspect Harry has been given a choice in either leasing a Crown estate (ala Adelaide Cottage or something else on the Windsor grounds) or picking an apartment at Kensington Palace. If he chooses the latter he likely either goes into 4b (which I believe is vacant) or the Gloucesters decide to downsize (likely into 4b) and leave apartment 1 free for the Sussexes.
  #1577  
Old 11-04-2018, 09:45 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC, United States
Posts: 478
I read that Harry and Meghan have a rented house in the country? IF true, why are they renting when they can afford to by a house? That doesn't make much sense and a waste of money on a house that is not really theirs.
  #1578  
Old 11-04-2018, 09:58 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,091
The royal watchers are pretty insistent that it's true. They are renting a place in the Cotswolds. As far as wasting money...evidently it makes sense to them and it's their money.


LaRae
  #1579  
Old 11-04-2018, 10:05 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 12,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
I read that Harry and Meghan have a rented house in the country? IF true, why are they renting when they can afford to by a house? That doesn't make much sense and a waste of money on a house that is not really theirs.
Sometimes people rent in an area before deciding if it is where they would like to buy.

They may also want to buy in this area but there is nothing suitable available in their price range.

Remember that security does have the final say a lot of the time. I remember when Princess Anne wanted to buy an apartment in London and was stopped from doing so as security said they couldn't make is safe enough for her so she kept her apartment at BP and Gatcombe with no permanent, personal home in London.
  #1580  
Old 11-04-2018, 10:07 PM
M. Payton's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 1,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
I read that Harry and Meghan have a rented house in the country? IF true, why are they renting when they can afford to by a house? That doesn't make much sense and a waste of money on a house that is not really theirs.

Well I very much agree with you on renting, anyone regardless of who you are or how much money you have seems to me a waste of money on something that is no value to you in the end. I see that some people in this world who have bank accounts with no end in sight of money would consider renting as they have no understanding of the value of money when they have everything at their disposal.
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
highgrove, prince harry, prince william, residences


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes abdication anastasia 2020 armstrong-jones baptism biography bridal gown brownbitcoinqueen canada chittagong clarence house coronavirus crown princess victoria danish royalty dna dragons dubai dutch dutch royal family earl of snowdon emperor facts fantasy movie future general news thread george vi hill historical drama history house of glucksburg introduction jewellery jumma kent king salman languages list of rulers luxembourg mail mary: crown princess of denmark nobel prize northern ireland norway norwegian royal family palestine prince dimitri princess alexia (2005 -) princess dita princess of orange queen mathilde random facts royal court royal dress-ups royal jewels royalty of taiwan royal wedding royal wedding gown saudi arabia settings startling new evidence stuart sweden thailand thai royal family tips tracts uae customs united kingdom united states of america von hofmannsthal


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:19 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×