The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 10:49 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

A discussion about possible working hours for potential nannies of non-existing children is not appropriate for this thread. Please move on.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

It’s pretty obvious that the Sussex’s Nottingham Cottage is just a temporary residence. It’s a bachelor’s pad, not a family home. I’m alone, so it’s a place for guys like me.

For security and personal reason - any potential royal residence is considered a “rumor” until the home is officially established.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-06-2018, 11:39 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
W.
RPOs will need accommodation on the grounds if they aren't living at a royal residence with security in place. Not sure how it works on KP. I imagine there are less of them and they might just have to be on standby. I remember when Harry was staying with Meghan in Toronto, the RPO was outside her house 24/7 (in rotation of course). That's what will happen if they don't live on secured grounds like KP. They might just have a more permanent place than the car.
I'd imagine that RPOs need to have a room/office on the spot for security?
Old 10-07-2018, 12:12 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
KP is beyond cramped at this point. What happened to the apartment that Christopher Geidt left behind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
It’s pretty obvious that the Sussex’s Nottingham Cottage is just a temporary residence. It’s a bachelor’s pad, not a family home. I’m alone, so it’s a place for guys like me.

For security and personal reason - any potential royal residence is considered a “rumor” until the home is officially established.
It is my understanding that HM allowed Christopher Geidt and his family to stay in their apartment until the end of the school year so as not to upset the children's education.

As to rumours of moving, I too am on board with the status quo until otherwise formally announced. I also remember the dissembling BP did when Amner Hall was being refurbished and that was lie through their teeth! That may sound harsh, but I am sick of people obfuscating when everyone is well aware of the truth of the matter.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:14 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
A few months ago Omid said Knott Cott is a 3 bedroom..I asked him about this on Twitter and he said while it is often claimed to only have 2 that it does indeed have 3 bedrooms.

LaRae
I don't believe Nottingham cottage has 3 bedrooms. The floor plan of Nottingham cottage are available online from official records and the floor plan show 2 bedroom and 2 baths. We haven't heard new of any renovation work at Nothingham cottage and any construction to expand the building would be public record.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:22 AM
Majesty

I recognise it is all speculation at this stage, but I suspect Harry will, in time, end up with a decent sized apartment at KP (Apartment 1, Apt 4b, something else?), and a home in the country.

For now, the home in the country does not have to be a major property like Highgrove, but probably something smaller and probably more affordable to manage, perhaps on the Windsor estate.

My other thought is that, quite possibly, any country home they have will probably be an interim arrangement till the end of this reign only. When Charles is King, I suspect he will leave his beloved Highgrove to the next Prince of Wales, who in turn might let Harry use Anmer. Clearly this is speculation on my part, but I would welcome your thoughts.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fros View Post
I don't believe Nottingham cottage has 3 bedrooms. The floor plan of Nottingham cottage are available online from official records and the floor plan show 2 bedroom and 2 baths. We haven't heard new of any renovation work at Nothingham cottage and any construction to expand the building would be public record.
The floor plan shows only the first floor. Perhaps there is a third bedroom upstairs?

Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-07-2018, 07:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
The floor plan shows only the first floor. Perhaps there is a third bedroom upstairs?
Looking at pictures taken both of the front and from the air it's obvious to me that there's room for at least one bedroom up there. If the airshots are correct there's one window at the side of the house and two in the back.
Regarding the staff the cottage is surrounded by staff quarters and other outbuildings meaning there could be atleast day accommodations for them.
The size of the cottage is given as 123 square meters on the floor plan. Could that be for both floors or just the bottom floor?
Old 10-07-2018, 08:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well, this is funny

Apparently, according to Time Magazine, which is a totally mainstream publication, the floor plan we may have thought was Nott Cott is actually of an apartment at Windsor Court, in North Carolina, with a square footage of 1324 sq ft, which is the equivalent of 123 sq meters. I thought the layout looked a bit modern. Back to googling floor plans...

What We Know About Prince Harry's Nottingham Cottage | Money

Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-07-2018, 09:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
My other thought is that, quite possibly, any country home they have will probably be an interim arrangement till the end of this reign only. When Charles is King, I suspect he will leave his beloved Highgrove to the next Prince of Wales, who in turn might let Harry use Anmer. Clearly this is speculation on my part, but I would welcome your thoughts.
The problem with that solution is that William seems to like Norfollk, while Harry prefers the Cotswolds.
So, an exchange of that sort wouldn't make everybody happy.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

The question is would either of them want to? My understanding is that the couples have their own circles near their weekend homes. The Cambridge have their social circle in Norfolk, and seem to be fond of that area. Whereas the Sussexes seem to have a fondness for Cotswolds, which is close to Highgrove. As of now, I’ve seen no indication that Harry or Meghan are particularly fond of Norfolk other than Christmas with the family. We can talk about what makes the most sense logistically all we want, but the wishes of the couples in terms which area they live in will also play a part. But I agree that the current situation is only temporary. One of the considerations is probably the timing of the next reign and what will happen in the next few years in terms of space.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
The problem with that solution is that William seems to like Norfollk, while Harry prefers the Cotswolds.
So, an exchange of that sort wouldn't make everybody happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
The question is would either of them want to? My understanding is that the couples have their own circles near their weekend homes. The Cambridge have their social circle in Norfolk, and seem to be fond of that area. Whereas the Sussexes seem to have a fondness for Cotswolds, which is close to Highgrove. As of now, I’ve seen no indication that Harry or Meghan are particularly fond of Norfolk other than Christmas with the family. We can talk about what makes the most sense logistically all we want, but the wishes of the couples in terms which area they live in will also play a part. But I agree that the current situation is only temporary. One of the considerations is probably the timing of the next reign and what will happen in the next few years in terms of space.
I hear about apparent preferences for Norfolk and the Cotswolds for the Cambridges and Sussexes respectively, but the fact is none of us know what is actually the truth. William and Harry both grew up near the Cotswolds, and Catherine was not too far either, so I suspect they all like the West country. A lot of the Norfolk set are friends of both, William and Harry.

Highgrove is owned by the Duchy, so will be available for William in the next reign. Whilst, un theory, it could be leased to Harry, it is an expensive house and a very large estate to run, and I am not sure he will want to take on that financial burden. It is possible that W&C keep both Highgrove and Anmer (and Birkhall and the property in Wales) in addition to the apartment at KP, but that just seems like a lot of homes. If they give up Anmer, it could be let out, as it previously was, but then again, it could just as easily be used by the Sussexes, if they so like.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:31 PM
Courtier

There seems to be a constant assumption for several years on here that William and Harry want to spend their lives living in immediate proximity to each other. They may be close but they are two different people, with roles that will diverge over time, although this hasn't really happened yet. Noone ever sems to suggest the Queen's children wanting or having wanted to live next door to each other.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:00 PM
Courtier

Harry and William are different. They decided not to "silo" like the Queen's children, and share patronages and support of their causes.

Besides, at a certain time, William and Kate will probably be moving to another Crown property. There is no "next" Crown property for Harry and Meghan.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:53 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
There seems to be a constant assumption for several years on here that William and Harry want to spend their lives living in immediate proximity to each other. They may be close but they are two different people, with roles that will diverge over time, although this hasn't really happened yet. Noone ever sems to suggest the Queen's children wanting or having wanted to live next door to each other.
So what is the point you are trying to make? Accommodation is London likely to be at KP If Harry and Megan have an issue with proximity to the Wales', they can choose to live in the country as there really aren't any other options available in London.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
So what is the point you are trying to make? Accommodation is London likely to be at KP If Harry and Megan have an issue with proximity to the Wales', they can choose to live in the country as there really aren't any other options available in London.
Didn't Charles live in St. James' palace before he took over Clarence House after the death of Queen Mum? Suely his old flat would be good enough for the Sussexes?
Old 10-12-2018, 01:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

[QUOTE=Kataryn;2157170]Didn't Charles live in St. James' palace before he took over Clarence House after the death of Queen Mum? Suely his old flat would be good enough for the Sussexes?[/QUOTE

York house. It currently is used as offices by Charles and Camilla. May be easier to move offices then having to re home relatives. But not sure we will see that.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:29 AM
Nobility

Imo, it makes no sense for the Sussexes to move to St James when their offices are at KP. Until William ascends to the throne and the Cambridges move on to BP, their homebase will be at KP. Considering the seemingly close knit relationship between the DoCs and DoSs and considering current and future joint projects, I don't see the Sussexes moving office (or residence) away from KP. It should be also mentioned that neither St James, nor Clarence offers adequate private outdoor space for children (and pets).

The current solution of Nott Cott and a private lease of a small prop in the Cotswolds is definitely temporary before children come along. The option of Apt A + Windsor (probably Ade Cott) is certainly a realistic one. & Probably the most thinking ahead one too.

The truth is - the Cambridges and Sussexes are (and will be for the next 20-25 years) the most prominent and 'senior' residents at KP. Another fact - as morbid as it may sound - there will be openings at KP in the not so far future. With Charles more streamlined vision it would be hard to imagine Bea, Eug or any other non-working royal 'living it up' in Apt 1. I am personally a big fan of Windsor and see many great advantages to the Sussexes having their official country residence there(see an earlier post of mine in this thread.) Adelaide Cottage is understood to be a nicely sized house, but by no means ostentatious or as grand as Gatcome or the Royal Lodge. It would be a proper fit for them, I reckon - even in the long run. Both close and far enough from London. Although, I would foresee their primary residence and homebase remaining Apt 1 up until William ascending to the throne and Cambridge kids are already in the working Royal camp.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:05 AM
Majesty

With the announcement of the Sussex pregnancy, I guess the question of potential housing get has become a bit more urgent. Wonder where they will move to?
Old 10-16-2018, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Thats what I was wondering about, too. I'm having a hard time believing that Nott Cott is going to be workable.

Closed Thread

Tags
highgrove, prince harry, prince william, residences