The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 08:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
The difference is that Kensington Palace is state owned and is in a fantastic part of London. Sandringham at least is privately owned but will be owned by Charles, then William and George etc. I meant that Prince Harry may want a private home as well to pass on to his descendents as he can't pass on a state owned apartment in Kensington palace.

Playing devil's advocate here--
And inheritance taxes are quite high--so his children or grandchildren might have to sell the home to pay the taxes.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:42 PM
Royal Highness

Good point.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:18 PM
Heir Apparent

And they might have multiple children; would they want to share the same house? So, while it sounds nice in theory to have something to pass down; it might not be that important in practice.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:52 PM
Royal Highness

Apartment 1A being touted again -

It cost £1.4MILLION to repair the roof of Harry and Meghan’s rumoured future home | Daily Mail Online
Old 06-28-2018, 08:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

It really does make sense to me...I can believe this before I can believe they are having a house built in the Cotswolds or wherever it was.

LaRae
Old 06-28-2018, 08:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
It really does make sense to me...I can believe this before I can believe they are having a house built in the Cotswolds or wherever it was.

LaRae

That's also still being touted Pranter - new plans:

https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/...beggars-lodge/

(And again "Roman farm" mentioned.)
Old 06-28-2018, 08:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
While I think apartment 1 would be nice for them, I just dont know how much I believe what theyve been pushing. One thing being that the Gloucesters still lives there. On top of that, the roof being fixed to make it suitable for The Sussexes is complete bull as the work has been planned for awhile. It was reported that work will be done before they were even engaged.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
That's also still being touted Pranter - new plans:

https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/...beggars-lodge/

(And again "Roman farm" mentioned.)

Those have been around awhile....reminds me of the 'leaked' wedding dress sketches.

LaRae
Old 06-28-2018, 09:17 PM
Nobility

I agree I can grudgingly believe the cotswolds house lease story because I think it's a good transition property to get Meghan who has lived big cities, get used to a simpler country life but with amenities close by so they won't get a property immediately in the true almost isolated English country side yet as that might be throwing her into the deep end but to settle down as family home I don't believe the stories of them building a house is Cotswold.

This just sounds like a free advertisement for the new project going on in the area that they are tying to Harry and Meghan to gain publicity.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
While I think apartment 1 would be nice for them, I just dont know how much I believe what theyve been pushing. One thing being that the Gloucesters still lives there. On top of that, the roof being fixed to make it suitable for The Sussexes is complete bull as the work has been planned for awhile. It was reported that work will be done before they were even engaged.
When was it first planned? I'm quite sure that Harry's intentions were clear from late 2016/early 2017.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:21 PM
Heir Apparent

I really like the Cotswold stories. I'm rooting for the brand new house for Meghan.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

I just heard a podcast with Omid & Emily talking about this...they say they don't believe the story about them moving into Apt 1. They believe since Knott Cott has 3 bedrooms and is quite roomy that they will be there for some time. They also believe they are renting a home in the country at present...but nothing was said about the building rumor.

LaRae
Old 06-28-2018, 10:14 PM
Heir Apparent

It sounds reasonable to me. Mainly because Meghan is new to the area and needs to get her footing. It will take time for them as a couple to suss out how they want to raise their family, factoring in all preferences.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I just heard a podcast with Omid & Emily talking about this...they say they don't believe the story about them moving into Apt 1. They believe since Knott Cott has 3 bedrooms and is quite roomy that they will be there for some time. They also believe they are renting a home in the country at present...but nothing was said about the building rumor.

LaRae
All reports have said Nott cottage is only 2 bedrooms. Ivy is 3, Nott is 2. It is described as 2 bedroom/1 bath home with 2 reception rooms. Its fine while they have no kids, but when they have kids they wont have space for a nanny. And like William and Kate, who only lived there part time, they are full time. Not to mention guests like Doria. Any apartment they take over is going to need some work. Certainly decisions and plans are well under way.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
All reports have said Nott cottage is only 2 bedrooms. Ivy is 3, Nott is 2. It is described as 2 bedroom/1 bath home with 2 reception rooms. Its fine while they have no kids, but when they have kids they wont have space for a nanny. And like William and Kate, who only lived there part time, they are full time. Not to mention guests like Doria. Any apartment they take over is going to need some work. Certainly decisions and plans are well under way.

Yes that has been my understanding too....so I don't know if Emily had a oops moment or previous reports about only 2 bedrooms being in error.

I still think that they will have to find a new place when Meghan is pregnant or shortly after she has a baby..although it would seem to me moving before would be better.

It still makes sense to me that the Duke/Duchess of Gloucester could *possibly* be moving to smaller apartments. I'm not sure where else there would be for Harry/Meghan to move into at KP. I can't imagine they will shift over to C.H.

LaRae
Old 06-28-2018, 11:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:

LaRae
Yes, I believe they have confused Harry's cottage with Eugenie's. As to the move into KP itself, I don't know about Apartment 1A as it is still the Gloucester's home. If they move they could just as easily move into Sir Christopher Geidt's Apartment when it becomes vacant.

This is just the Daily Fail trying re-write the facts once again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyMail
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will reportedly become neighbours with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge when they settle in to the 21-room apartment.

And in order to make the apartment fit for a royal couple the palace has forked out an eye-watering total of 1.4 million according to Hello!
Wow, they've spent 1.4 million to make it fit for a royal couple. Duh! The money was spent repairing the roof and tiles which is no small job and was scheduled before Harry's engagement.

What the DM has omitted is that all of that money was spent on the roof repair and an equally "royal couple", the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, already live there and have done since their wedding in 1972!
Old 06-28-2018, 11:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

MARG what info do we have on Sr Geidt's apartment?

LaRae
Old 06-29-2018, 12:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Little is known, or seen, of the apartments used by staff as they are private.

The largest option would be 4b. It is six bedrooms, and said to be so opulent that royals like Diana were jealous of it. Size wise it would suit the Sussexes, or the Gloucesters. I am not convinced the Gloucesters plan to move. Only proof they made the offer back when the Cambridges married, was Princess Michael suggesting it was a good idea.

The other apartments of staff, beyond 4b, are simply described as 'smaller apartments'.

The Gloucesters may be empty nesters but this is their family home. This is where their kids and grandkids will come for holidays. It also houses their offices. Unlike the Sussexes who have separate offices, and likely will have a country home at some point, even on one of the estates.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Yes that has been my understanding too....so I don't know if Emily had a oops moment or previous reports about only 2 bedrooms being in error.
I read this thread before getting to this edition of On Heir, and so I had my antenna up for the discussion of Nott Cott when I listened this morning.

It was Omid who said three bedrooms, and it sounded to me that he was implying that people have a misunderstanding if the house and its layout. He specifically said people think of it as a two up, two down, but... and then said it has three bedrooms and that its quite comfortable.

Of course the thing about this is that you never really know where the information is coming from, but he is in a position to chat off the record with people whove actually been there, so he could know something we dont. Or he could be misunderstood about it, too.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I keep seeing Apartment 1A being mentioned and correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't Apartment 1A the home of the Cambridges?

Tags
highgrove, prince harry, prince william, residences