The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 01:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
use Anmer Hall when they aren't there?
Highly unlikely imo. 'House-sitting' isn't easy or desirable with young kids...

Old 05-06-2018, 01:54 PM
Heir Apparent

I think they will have a large KP apartment - maybe the Gloucesters - and a small house on one of the country estates to use at weekends etc but not mansion on the scale of Anmer.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:36 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I think they will have a large KP apartment - maybe the Gloucesters - and a small house on one of the country estates to use at weekends etc but not mansion on the scale of Anmer.
Yes - eventually. Near term, it's hard to see viable alternatives.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillVictoria View Post
The royal family might use the Queen's death as an excuse to do much needed repairs to Buckingham Palace with Charles and Camilla staying in Clarence House during the interim. Then, if Charles is in his late 80s/early 90s by the times repairs are completed, he might be able to use his age as a reason not to move, with BP becoming a strictly working palace either until Will and Kate move in or permanently.
Renovations to BP were announced last year, with the work being done "around" the needs of The Queen. I'm thinking that when the change of reign happens they will just schedule everything to be done as soon as is practicable, with Charles and Camilla remaining at Clarence House until the work is done. As it is, they will need to relocate office space, staff space, etc. let alone those royals who have apartments there - Anne, Andrew, and Edward.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:50 PM
Courtier

It is unlikely Charles’s siblings will remain in BP once the Queen is gone. That has not happened in the past. I don’t think Phillip will choose to spend any time there at his advanced age. Anne only works from there.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Of course it has. Not at Buckingham palace, but because that wasn't their home to begin with. Margaret maintained a home in Kensington palace until her death. The Gloucesters and Kents all have homes in royal palaces, though only cousins of the monarch.

Andrew and Edward are not likely to retire from royal duties when their mother dies. And they will need a London base. It is possible they will join their sister in SJP, or a space may open in Kensington when the time comes.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:07 AM
Commoner

What about York House, St James Palace for H & M? Charles lived there prior to Clarence House. It may not need that much updating (wiring, plumbing, etc.), just decorating.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waika View Post
What about York House, St James Palace for H & M? Charles lived there prior to Clarence House. It may not need that much updating (wiring, plumbing, etc.), just decorating.
It is used as offices by Charles and Camilla. I guess those offices could be relocated some where else. But it seems everyone thinks they will want to remain as close to William as possible, and their offices.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:52 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
Renovations to BP were announced last year, with the work being done "around" the needs of The Queen. I'm thinking that when the change of reign happens they will just schedule everything to be done as soon as is practicable, with Charles and Camilla remaining at Clarence House until the work is done. As it is, they will need to relocate office space, staff space, etc. let alone those royals who have apartments there - Anne, Andrew, and Edward.
The programme of renovations for BP is scheduled to last a decade. AS scheduled, the last bit to be redone will be the private apartments of HM. If Charles succeeds to the throne in the next decade whilst these works are underway, IMO, he and Camilla will remain at CH till the works to the private apartments of the monarch have been completed.

This would suggest to me that CH is unlikely to become available for the next decade at the earliest. The family can then decide of William or Harry and family move there, or another use be found for CH.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waika View Post
The rooms at SJP are considered small and gloomy, and not much can be changed in the building because of its historic status.

That's why Charles was eager to move out, and also why everyone would prefer to live at KP.

I see three options for H & M:

1. They stay put at Nott Cott until Charles succeeds, then there will be a huge upheaval in accomodations.

2. They stay put until circumstances change at KP and somebody leaves.

3. They exchange with the Gloucesters.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:20 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't see Harry and Meghan moving out of Nott Cott until they start a family. It's too small for that. William and Kate stayed their for awhile after their wedding too, I believe. So they have a little time to figure things out.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
The rooms at SJP are considered small and gloomy, and not much can be changed in the building because of its historic status.

That's why Charles was eager to move out, and also why everyone would prefer to live at KP.

I see three options for H & M:

1. They stay put at Nott Cott until Charles succeeds, then there will be a huge upheaval in accomodations.

2. They stay put until circumstances change at KP and somebody leaves.

3. They exchange with the Gloucesters.
Fourth option- they move into Apt 4B at KP
Old 05-07-2018, 08:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Fourth option- they move into Apt 4B at KP
Fifth option: Somewhere else because when Charles ascends the throne possibly nothing happens and everyone stays where they are.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Fifth option: Somewhere else because when Charles ascends the throne possibly nothing happens and everyone stays where they are.
Irrespective of when Charles succeeds to the throne, I do not foresee any property moves for C&C and W&C for another decade, till the planned renovations at BP are complete.

Harry will need to move soon, as I am sure they will not delay having a family. My guess is another apartment will be found within KP.

Not that the DM can be relied upon as a purveyor of facts, but they are now reporting that the Gloucesters are moving out / have moved out of their apartment to make way for H&M.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ry-Meghan.html

UK Home | Daily Mail Online
Old 05-07-2018, 08:20 AM
Courtier

.. I choose to believe it only if there is an official announcment from one of the palaces...

but it is possible of course
Old 05-07-2018, 08:21 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
.. I choose to believe it only if there is an official announcment from one of the palaces...

And you are quite right, IMO!
Old 05-07-2018, 08:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post

Same here.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Its front page of the DM website and on the Sun as well - neither are the most reliable sources - but it means we may get confirmation one way or the other soon.
The DM say pretty much what others here have guessed - H&M will move into the Gloucester's apartment 1 and the Gloucesters moving into the apartment left vacant by the Queen's former Private Sec Christopher Geidt.

Certainly its a fact the Gloucester's apartment is undergoing a number of renovations
Sir Christopher will presumably have vacated an apartment not all that long ago as the most senior royal aide he would have had an apartment provided
Its widely reported by a number of sources that the Gloucester's offered to move out of their apartment when W&K married.
Maybe they were thanked for the offer and asked to wait until Harry married as Apartment 1A was available for W&K. Certainly if they are still being provided with a suitable (if smaller) apartment in return for their duties I can't see them minding at all, they got to raise their family in the larger apartment now H&M can do the same.

If they get Apartment 1 at KP I suspect they will get a modest (by royal standards) country house.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Would Apartment 1 really need this level of renovation? I saw pics on twitter of all the drapes and scaffolding.

LaRae
Old 05-07-2018, 11:52 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Would Apartment 1 really need this level of renovation? I saw pics on twitter of all the drapes and scaffolding.

LaRae
I suspect it will have been some time from when Apt 1 would have had major works carried out, so some work would definitely been required. This could have included things like redoing the roof, insulation, electrics, windows and possibly the removal of asbestos.

Closed Thread

Tags
highgrove, prince harry, prince william, residences