Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Charles is not the Queen and he only has 2 children not 4....he will do things his own way. I've seen nothing indicating he won't (and he's likely already got things in place) make sure Harry and his family have whatever they need.

LaRae

Absolutely.
Diana mentioned that she AND Charles worked hard to make certain their sons were treated equally, although some in the RF insisted on emphasizing that William was more important.

If Charles felt that way throughout their childhoods, why would he suddenly change now?
He will see to it that both sons are adequately provided for.

So I guess you are saying he knows what he’s doing by having them work for the monarchy? If that’s the case, they should get a suitable home like all the other working royals.

No point in telling me...…

So, that would plead for offering them a house on a royal or crown estate by lease...

Agreed. That's exactly what I think is likely to happen. It would be the wisest thing, and long term offer the most security and privacy. We'll see, though.

And what a fiasco that was. I have no doubt the Queen and Prince Charles would never do anything like that ever again.

And yet Anne has been quite successful in managing her property that she was gifted. So that argues for something like that again.

Harry and Meghan do not earn a salary for the work they do as "Full Time Royals" so why shouldn't they at least be provided with a home as compensation?

Last edited:
And yet Anne has been quite successful in managing her property that she was gifted. So that argues for something like that again.

A good point, she has done well. But she is clearly a countrywoman, and I wonder if Harry would have the same skill and interest in managing something like that? It will be interesting to see where this all ends up.

And I believe Harry will be provided with a home, it just may not be one he actually owns, with all the expense and upkeep that implies.

But if the "queen treats all her grandchildren the same", then if Eugenie and others pay commercial rent, so should Harry

Because as I said in my post, all working royals get a city residence rent free - inc the Kents and Gloucesters. Harry falls into that category too.

When Charles is King there may be more residences going spare to hand out to Harry.

I'm not saying the Queen does have rules or shouldn't give Harry a country residence but I don't think people can say he's being treated differently/unfairly just because he isn't being treated the same as William. I would personally be surprised if the Queen gave them a country house and a larger KP apartment (1A type size). Charles could easily provide a country house for them or they could use their own money.

Last edited:
Well, you were arguing Harry should just be left to his own devices like the Queen’s other grandchildren. :lol:

But I am indifferent as to what he gets, its Charles who has the power to give him something.. or the queen.

Perhaps those saying the Sussex's have been 'short changed' might wait until we SEE what has been arranged?
At this point we KNOW nothing !

I would personally be surprised if the Queen gave them a country house anvd a larger KP apartment (1A type size). Charles could easily provide a country house for them or they could use their own money.
You are right, during the Queen's reign, the template for working royals has been either:

a) a large country home, that is used as the principal base (which has been paid for by the Queen, and is not a grace-and-favour property), and an apartment at one of the London royal residences, for which no rent is payable; OR

b) a large London flat, on which no rent has been payable.

This is the template that has been used for the Queen's children and Margaret, other than Charles.

I would expect the same for Harry. In Harry's case, I think this will be a sizable London home, possibly at KP. Additionally, I would expect Charles to fund the outright purchase or long term lease of a country property for Harry to use.

Perhaps those saying the Sussex's have been 'short changed' might wait until we SEE what has been arranged?

Why wait for facts to emerge when there might be a suggestion that Meghan has been short changed?

Last edited by a moderator:
But if the "queen treats all her grandchildren the same", then if Eugenie and others pay commercial rent, so should Harry

The point you miss is that Eugenie and the others are private citizens. They have jobs and make money. They don't carry out total duties. It us reasonable to expect them to pay their own residence. Peter and Zara have homes on Gatcombe so questionable if they actually pay mom for those.

Harry and Meghan are full time working royals. They are not allowed to have jobs and income outside the firm. A place to live is part of the deal.

Country homes are not free. Edward and Sophie pay for their lease on Bagshot. They found a way to make it cheap by renting out some out buildings. They pay less a year for it, then the York girls paid for their tiny st James apartment.

William and Catherine started in Nott Cott as well, so I don't understand the whole discussion about Harry and Meghan being shortchanged. I fully expect them to be provided with a place to live thoughout their life times . If they want any additional housing either in the UK or abroad they can take care of that themselves.

So, Harry will not be treated like his cousins (who are only grandchildren of a monarch, not a child and brother of future monarchs) nor like his brother - he is in a unique position as the only sibling of a future monarch and the way his housing situation will be treated will reflect that.

The difference is that it was always publically known Nott was temporary. Their Kensibgton apartment and Amner were public knowledge. They were just needing work done on them.

William and Kate also didn't actually live at Nott very long. It was their London base. They were in Wales when they first married. When George was born they were still in Wales and often in Buckleberry. The time between his job ending in Wales and them moving into their apartment was less then a month.

Meghan and Harry don't have the same situation with a work base else where. They are full time royals now unlike the Cambridges when they wed. And nothing has been made public about where the couple will live. So until something is officially said, like it was for William, speculation will continue.

Last edited:
Country homes are not free. Edward and Sophie pay for their lease on Bagshot. They found a way to make it cheap by renting out some out buildings. They pay less a year for it, then the York girls paid for their tiny st James apartment.

For the record, the leases on both Bagshot Park (home to the Wessex's) and Royal Lodge Windsor (home to Andrew) were acquired from the Crown Estate on commercial terms in 1999 and 2002 respectively. They were structured with high upfront one-off payments, and minimal annual rents. The upfront costs were met by the Queen. That is why the annual lease rentals on those properties is so low.

The Crown Estate is a commercially run organisation, whose profits go straight to the HM Treasury. The Queen cannot, at whim, take individual properties for her family without paying a commercial rent on them.

And nothing has been made public about where the couple will live. So until something is officially said, like it was for William, speculation will continue.

It is all idle speculation, no harm done. There is no need for KP to release any information at this stage.

The difference is that it was always publically known Nott was temporary. Their Kensibgton apartment and Amner were public knowledge. They were just needing work done on them.
Anmer Hall wasn't public knowledge until early 2013, so after more than a year and a half of marriage. In november 2011 it was announced that Kp apartment 1a would be renovated for them. So, if we are looking at about the same timeframe for H&M we will probably know more before the end of the year.

William and Kate also didn't actually live at Nott very long. It was their London base. They were in Wales when they first married. When George was born they were still in Wales and often in Buckleberry. The time between his job ending in Wales and them moving into their apartment was less then a month.

Meghan and Harry don't have the same situation with a work base else where. They are full time royals now unlike the Cambridges when they wed. And nothing has been made public about where the couple will live. So until something is officially said, like it was for William, speculation will continue.
Harry and Meghan have only been married for 6 months, so they are still in the phase of 'not living very long in Nott Cott'. I don't think anyone assumes they will stay in Nott Cott forever, so it in their case it is also understood as something temporary. I understand that there will be speculation until it becomes clear what will happen but for now Harry and Meghan do have a house provided for them at KP (which is big enough for 2) and a house in the country that they apparently rent (again, just like William & Catherine did in Wales).

Last edited:
:previous:and if Harry and Meghan were not having a baby 10-11 months after their wedding, sooner than W& K by 16 months, I don’t think speculation about leaving Nott Cott would be so intense.

:previous:and if Harry and Meghan were not having a baby 10-11 months after their wedding, sooner than W& K by 16 months, I don’t think speculation about leaving Nott Cott would be so intense.

Of course. Nonetheless, they most likely know what the plan is (even if there is only another temporary plan), it's just us who don't.

Yes, exactly. It's perfectly obvious that Nott Cott is not a viable long-term plan with an actual rather than a theoretical baby on the way. I also have no doubt that the Queen/Grandpa Wales have noticed that Meghan is pregnant, and plans are in motion. We may not see them for a while, but if there's one thing the BRF understand, it's planning for most contingencies. The rest is just entertaining speculation.

Ok....I just had a brainstorm. Harry and Meghan can use Diana's old apartment at KP. Isn't Diana's old apartment the headquarter of their RF charity? The charity can be relocated elsewhere...maybe the former apartment of Sir Christopher Geidt - in aprtment 4b which is luxurious enough for formal receptions etc to be held.

What does everyone think?

Ok....I just had a brainstorm. Harry and Meghan can use Diana's old apartment at KP. Isn't Diana's old apartment the headquarter of their RF charity? The charity can be relocated elsewhere...maybe the former apartment of Sir Christopher Geidt - in aprtment 4b which is luxurious enough for formal receptions etc to be held.

What does everyone think?

Charles & Diana's old apartment (numbers 8&9) are used as offices by William, Harry and their wives, and that is where they receive any visitors. That space was redone a few years ago, and it is unlikely will be remodelled again. I am sure a potential property for Harry was identified at the time that 1A and 8&9 were renovated.

Good point! But then it would mean that Harry and Meghan can move in to apartments 8&9 as they are move in ready. Also, apartment 4b should be easy to convert to offices as it was lived in by the Queen's private secretary.

But I agree...I would imagine that some thought was given to where Harry could raise his family.

Last edited:
I did wonder about Diana's old apartment but I think it was included as part of the works to re-do 1A for Kate and Wills so having just been turned into offices for them I can't see it being re-done out again so soon. Also it is probably part of the reason why W&K have indicated they will stay at KP long term, as there is office space for their staff to work from as well so taking it away would not really help.

I'm sure there is a plan, and we will find out soon enough. Even the announcement made at H&M's engagement that they intend to stay at Notts Cottage is understandably moot now they are expecting. I do sometimes wonder if the Royals are as organised as we assume they are and have had a space in mind for Harry all along or if the Queen and Charles are currently touring the palaces with plans and flashlights looking for a big enough space to give H&M a new home :)

I think you are mixing up the point? No one is saying the Sussexes have been shortchanged. Rather some are saying they shouldn’t be provided a home as the rest of HMQ’s grandchildren aren’t, and others are asking why they should be shortchanged as working royals at that suggestion.

Why wait for facts to emerge when there might be a suggestion that Meghan has been short changed?

Oh for goodness’ sake, this isn’t about just Meghan. But of course, let’s single her out.

If Harry and Meghan purchase a country house, how far from London should such a house be in the country?

Good point! But then it would mean that Harry and Meghan can move in to apartments 8&9 as they are move in ready. Also, apartment 4b should be easy to convert to offices as it was lived in by the Queen's private secretary.

But I agree...I would imagine that some thought was given to where Harry could raise his family.

Offices and private homes are not interchangeable.

Just because Apts 8&9 were renovated into offices does not mean they could be changed back easily or quickly into a home.

And a private secretary's private home does not mean it is automatically already suitable to be offices.

I thought the apartment Christopher Geidt left was one of the smaller staff apartments within KP-apt 4B was Sir Michael Peat's, a former employee of Prince Charles.

https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/201203287578/prince-harry-neighbour-william-kate/
7. Apartment 4A: A modest living quarter formerly used by the Queen's director of property services
8. Apartment 4B: Once home to Prince Charles' former private secretary, Sir Michael Peat. He used to pay £47,000 of his £250,000-a-year salary to live there

What do you mean offices and private homes are not interchangeable?
What happened to apartment 1A after Princess Margaret's death and before it was earmarked for William and Kate? Wasn't that space used for charitable purposes and exhibitions? And now it has been turned back into a home.

Apartments 8&9 are offices for William, Kate, Harry, Meghan and their staff. Before it was the private residence of the Prince and Princess of Wales.

I agree while modifications may be difficult, interchanges do happen.

At the deaths of the Gloucesters and Kents, it is not as if their homes will remain empty. The spaces will be renovated and used for whatever purposes that are required.

Last edited:
:previous: There is a lot of "talk" online about Harry and Meghan making their "forever home" elsewhere and that they really didn't want to live next to William and Catherine. Now that is just gossip but, it could have merit.

William and Catherine are totally set accommodation wise and they had the opportunity to begin their "parent" phase in Wales and then at Amner House. Their household is set, as are their routines, etc. Harry has merely been the third wheel.

Unfortunately, I do not think that Harry and Meghan are going to be given as much slack as W&C by sheer dint of their age and, should that be the case, a home in the grounds or vicinity of Windsor would be more practical for them to put down roots and have the best of town and country living.

What happened to apartment 1A after Princess Margaret's death and before it was earmarked for William and Kate? Wasn't that space used for charitable purposes and exhibitions? And now it has been turned back into a home.

Apartments 8&9 are offices for William, Kate, Harry, Meghan and their staff. Before it was the private residence of the Prince and Princess of Wales.

At the deaths of the Gloucesters and Kents, it is not as if their homes will remain empty. The spaces will be renovated and used for whatever purposes that are required.

I believe the point is that Apt 8&9 was converted to office space relatively recently, and knowing the BRF's resistance to wasting money, it would be unlikely for the apartment to be converted back to living quarters after such a short time especially since alternate space in Kensington Palace would have to be converted to office space to house those offices. The money initially spent on the conversion would have been wasted, and then there would be the additional outlay for whatever space was selected for the moved offices. Not the BRF's usual style.

Plus the current location of the offices is very convenient, especially for William, who is going to be at KP for the foreseeable future, so his convenience is a consideration.

I believe the point is that Apt 8&9 was converted to office space relatively recently, and knowing the BRF's resistance to wasting money, it would be unlikely for the apartment to be converted back to living quarters after such a short time especially since alternate space in Kensington Palace would have to be converted to office space to house those offices. The money initially spent on the conversion would have been wasted, and then there would be the additional outlay for whatever space was selected for the moved offices. Not the BRF's usual style.

Plus the current location of the offices is very convenient, especially for William, who is going to be at KP for the foreseeable future, so his convenience is a consideration.

I didn't say it couldn't be done, but it does takes time and money-lots of money.

You can't just move a bed out and a desk in and say it is an office because it has a desk in it-it would require more renovation.

So more and more....it's looking like 4B is the only option if they want to stay at KP and they have more than 1 child. OR, they get a bigger country home and remain at Nott Cott.

Just another random thought...whatever happened to York House, St.James Palace where Willaim and Harry moveto live with Charles after Diana's death? Is York House part of Clarence House now as well?

In addition, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie also lived at St. James. It would be intresting to see what happens to their old apartment as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom