The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 11:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

A couple of the members here who have been there are kinda skeptical about being able to renno York Cottage (although I love the look and history of it myself!) due to restrictions (historic home) and the way it's made.

I wonder if there are other big homes on the estate similar to Amer?

LaRae

Old 05-05-2018, 11:36 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
A couple of the members here who have been there are kinda skeptical about being able to renno York Cottage (although I love the look and history of it myself!) due to restrictions (historic home) and the way it's made.

LaRae
I also thought it looked pretty

Old 05-05-2018, 11:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post

LaRae
The work would be limited to inside, as they couldn't expand the building. And opening up rooms to make 'open concept' would be impossible. But they could still modernize the home quite a bit. And it is quite large, when converted back from both offices and flats.

Unfortunately unlike Great Windsor park, sandringham doesn't have a number of homes on the estate.Beyond Amner and York cottage, the only other major house on the property was Appleton. The queen's parents lived in it during the war. Unfortunately it was demolished in 1984.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:27 AM
Courtier

The media are reporting York Cottage as if it's a done deal. Also, apparently it's haunted.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

Yes if the DM is to be believed it is a horror filled building no royal has ever liked being inside, and is haunted by the Duke of Clarence.

Be hilarious if they were given the home, and the title Duke and Duchess of Clarence. Can Just see the headlines.

Honestly I don't think it would be that big of an issue with modern technology and money to improve the home. Even if you cant open up the rooms. If you can turn a row of 16 century miners cottages into an airy home (I lived in proof of that), I am sure a competent architect and designer can work with York.

I actually like the look of the outside. Like it better then Amner honestly.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:03 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Why not Highgrove itself?

Charles may be fond of it, but once he succeeds, he probably won't have much time to spend there. Why have it stand empty?
I think Harry's next house move will be to a larger apartment within KP. Whether it is the apartment currently used by the Gloucesters or another one, remains to be seen.

Once Charles succeeds to the throne, there may be a bit of a re-organisation of properties. If I were to hazard a guess, William will take on Highgrove (as it is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall and is probably an expensive estate to run), and Harry possibly taking on Anmer. If Harry wants a country home in the interim, a smaller property could probably be found on the Windsor estate or another Duchy of Cornwall property.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:56 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
I thought if anyone would get York Cottage it would be Eugenie and Jack.
Does Prince Andrew have a country house?
Old 05-06-2018, 03:32 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
Does Prince Andrew have a country house?
Andrew's principal home is Royal Lodge at Windsor. He also has an apartment at Buck House.

This is very much the model followed since the reign of King George VI, where "main line" members get a country home and a substantial London home, whilst others get one or the other.
- Margaret got a substantial London apartment, but no country home
- Anne got Gatcombe, and only a small suite of rooms at SJP
- Andrew got Sunninghill and then Royal Lodge, but only a pied-a-terre at BP
- Edward got Bagshot Park, and a pied-a-terre at BP

In Harry's case, I think he will get a substantial apartment at KP. When his father succeeds to the throne, he may get a country home as well (Anmer?).
Old 05-06-2018, 06:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

It could be years before Charles is King. I don't think they will make Harry wait that long for his own escape from town.

LaRae
Old 05-06-2018, 06:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

He is the second son and so won't necessarily get the same things William does. Andrew, Edward and Anne, for instance, have large country estates but only small apartments in BP. Margaret, also a second child of a monarch - had the large apartment in London but no real country home at all. She simply stayed with her sister or mother.

Why expect more for Harry - unless he wants to put his hand in his own pocket and use his inheritance from Diana to buy something for himself he should get the same as the current second child/son of the monarch - a house either in London OR in the country but not both.

William will end up owning Sandringham and Balmoral outright, and, for a time Highgrove through the Duchy of Cornwall which is why HM gave him a house on the Sandringham estate - and gave Charles Birkhall on the Balmoral estate - because in time they will own the estates.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:20 AM
Majesty

Lord Snowden had a place in the country of his own, and Margaret was gifted land on Mustique as a wedding gift where a house was built for her. That's where she spent the majority of her holidays in preference to Sandringham, Balmoral etc, though she did go to those estates for family get togethers occasionally.

Just because the Queen decided on the arrangement of one or the other in Town or country for her four children doesn't mean that Charles will decide the same for his only other offspring.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:17 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Looking at photographs of KP, there is plenty of access to outdoor space for future children. I think 4B would be an excellent larger home for M & H. No need to kick the Gloucesters out of their home.
There is no access to private outdoor space in 4B, which does seem to be along the Prince of Wales Court. However, that is a common outdoor space, not private for 4B.

Harry and Meghan’s royal status, coupled with the intense media interest in them, means that their children will be exposed to random photos every time they want to play outside. A private outdoor space where the family can relax without fear of photographic intrusion would likely be incredibly important to them.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:32 AM
Commoner

I am not sure why my above message was edited and the photos were removed, but the editing removed a very important detail: Apartment 1 has private outdoor space and 4B has no private outdoor space. That is why I think that for security reasons, Apt 1 remains a possible top choice, despite having to relocate the Gloucesters.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:45 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Lord Snowden had a place in the country of his own, and Margaret was gifted land on Mustique as a wedding gift where a house was built for her. That's where she spent the majority of her holidays in preference to Sandringham, Balmoral etc, though she did go to those estates for family get togethers occasionally.

Just because the Queen decided on the arrangement of one or the other in Town or country for her four children doesn't mean that Charles will decide the same for his only other offspring.
A place in the country like Highgrove or Anmer is likely to be used as a weekend retreat, unlike Mustique or Balmoral. Margaret never used Tony's place in the country much herself.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:52 AM
Majesty

Harry’s known from day one he’s not William’s equal and just because William has something doesn’t mean Harry gets it as well.

As for a home Meghan doesn’t strike me as a country person. She’s a big city girl. Given the choice I think she’d prefer a large London home close to the action.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:00 AM
Courtier

Is there a chance Harry and Meghan will get Clarence House in the future as their main residence??? I expect Charles to move out and into BP when he becomes king.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:08 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Harry’s known from day one he’s not William’s equal and just because William has something doesn’t mean Harry gets it as well.

As for a home Meghan doesn’t strike me as a country person. She’s a big city girl. Given the choice I think she’d prefer a large London home close to the action.
We dont agree too often but I share your view 100%!!!! Given the homes that Meghan has lived in her whole life, I think that she would be perfectly content with 1 large apartment in Kensington Palace.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
Is there a chance Harry and Meghan will get Clarence House in the future as their main residence??? I expect Charles to move out and into BP when he becomes king.
While I think it is a reasonable guess the points against Clarence House seem to be as follows:

1)It isn't the most child friendly residence, and besides Elizabeth and Philip for a short time in the early 50s has had mostly older residents (Queen Mum and Charles)

2) The royal family might use the Queen's death as an excuse to do much needed repairs to Buckingham Palace with Charles and Camilla staying in Clarence House during the interim. Then, if Charles is in his late 80s/early 90s by the times repairs are completed, he might be able to use his age as a reason not to move, with BP becoming a strictly working palace either until Will and Kate move in or permanently.

3) Even if Charles and Camilla move into BP, Clarence House might remain unoccupied to be saved for Camilla if she outlives Charles. As Queen Dowager she will need somewhere to live and continue supporting her charities and CH, which is decorated to her taste, makes the most sense. So unless Harry, Meghan, and family want to share living space with Camilla, it wouldn't make sense to move them in only to have Harry's stepmother return several years later.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:48 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post

Meghan does enjoy nature. She's an avid gardener.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:53 PM
Courtier

Would William and Kate let Harry and Meghan use Anmer Hall when they aren't there? It seems such a waste of a big house to be left empty much of the time.

Closed Thread

Tags
highgrove, prince harry, prince william, residences