The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 11:27 AM
Heir Apparent

I've been inside York Cottage and I assure you that NO amount of Money or 'knocking it about' could make its 'stygian gloom' any lighter.. the Windows are already 'plate glass', and because of its 'listed building' status [which preclude alterations to the external facades], they cannot be enlarged.
The Ceiling heights are low, the rooms are smallish, [and though in some places might be 'knocked through'], there are fireplaces and other items included in the 'listing' which must be retained, making it impossible to 'open it up' in the current fashion..
That it suited George V speaks VOLUMES...
I cannot really see Ms Markle appreciating it !

Old 04-29-2018, 11:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Well they do live in the equally small Nottingham Cottage now so maybe they'l see it as a home from home. ;-)

Old 04-29-2018, 11:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm going to take your word for this, wyevale, as you have been inside the place and from the photographs you have taken and posted here, I know you're pretty in tune with aesthetics of a place.

OK. York Cottage is out.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
they do live in the equally small Nottingham Cottage now so maybe they'l see it as a home from home
'Squashed in and cosy' [as a 'courting' couple] is rather different to bringing up an expanding family, I think.. I know i'd want light and space for kids to grow up in...
Old 04-29-2018, 11:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

From the outside, York Cottage looks like it has potentional with some extensive work and decorating. A shame the inside really is that gloomy.

Is there a list somewhere on all the potentional buildings on some of the Queen's estates that could be used? I've looked, but no luck.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
From the outside, York Cottage looks like it has potentional with some extensive work and decorating. A shame the inside really is that gloomy.

Is there a list somewhere on all the potentional buildings on some of the Queen's estates that could be used? I've looked, but no luck.
Meghan has decided to move to the UK. land of squashy rooms in large draughty houses with iffy central heating. I am sure if York Cottage is offered, she'll take it and make something of it, just as she did with a nondescript Toronto Annex house.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post

There are some 'holiday cottages' and that is about it. And while they look a bit 'quaint' on the outside, they look like any aspect of actual charm and character have been wiped out inside. I don't see them turning one of those back into a proper home. I guess they could try adding character back in, but it seems highly more likely to modernize an old house, over adding back.

The two guest cottages (used as holiday lets)

Garden house

https://www.sandringhamestate.co.uk/.../garden-house/

Granary
https://www.sandringhamestate.co.uk/...ngham/granary/

Garden house at least has the charm outside, and some big airy windows. I guess they could do some work with it.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
There's also Park House but that's been turned into a hotel for the disabled. I don't think they'd even consider that place. It is, however where Harry's grandparents and great grandparents lived and his mother grew up.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
There's also Park House but that's been turned into a hotel for the disabled. I don't think they'd even consider that place. It is, however where Harry's grandparents and great grandparents lived and his mother grew up.
It has great history. And arguably would be great to see as a family home again. Especially with a Spencer grandson.

That said it seems unlikely. Its not the same as dislodging a renter like Amner, or making offices move as would with York. Park house has been an established charity hotel for over 30 years (was open in 1987).

This is the website for it

Park House Hotel - A hotel for disabled people in the beautiful Norfolk countryside

There is the same situation with some of the historical homes around Windsor castle as well I recall.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I've been inside York Cottage and I assure you that NO amount of Money or 'knocking it about' could make its 'stygian gloom' any lighter.. the Windows are already 'plate glass', and because of its 'listed building' status [which preclude alterations to the external facades], they cannot be enlarged.
The Ceiling heights are low, the rooms are smallish, [and though in some places might be 'knocked through'], there are fireplaces and other items included in the 'listing' which must be retained, making it impossible to 'open it up' in the current fashion..
That it suited George V speaks VOLUMES...
I cannot really see Ms Markle appreciating it !
It might have suited George V but from a biography on Queen Mary, it sure didn't suit her! But she didn't have any say in the matter, including the decor. GV and Queen Alexandra did the decorating before the wedding, to QA's taste.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marlboro View Post
It might have suited George V but from a biography on Queen Mary, it sure didn't suit her! But she didn't have any say in the matter, including the decor. GV and Queen Alexandra did the decorating before the wedding, to QA's taste.
One quote of Queen Mary's that I remember is "never live in a hutch..."
Old 04-30-2018, 03:21 PM
Aristocracy

http://www.google.tt/amp/s/royalcirc...an-markle/amp/

There is growing speculation that the Queen may gift York Cottage to the newlyweds.

I quite like this royal home,or at least the exterior of it. It seems more private than Amner and I like the lake nearby as well.

What do you guys think? If not York Cottage, then what else can be an option?
Old 04-30-2018, 08:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EloisevonLippe View Post
http://www.google.tt/amp/s/royalcirc...an-markle/amp/

There is growing speculation that the Queen may gift York Cottage to the newlyweds. I quite like this royal home,or at least the exterior of it. It seems more private than Amner and I like the lake nearby as well.

What do you guys think? If not York Cottage, then what else can be an option?
Go back to the previous page and you will see a discussion of York Cottage.

The two posts below give the general tenor of the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I hope they aren't 'landed' with the deeply GRIM 'York Cottage'.. Dark, poky and undistinguished, it [beyond its setting] has NOTHING to recommend it..
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I agree, York Cottage does not come across as a light, bright and airy home for a young family!
Old 04-30-2018, 08:47 PM
Royal Highness

I thought if anyone would get York Cottage it would be Eugenie and Jack.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
I thought if anyone would get York Cottage it would be Eugenie and Jack.
I doubt Eugenie and Jack are going to be gifted a country home by the queen. Even if the name is fitting. I don't see them moving far from London, for either of their jobs, nor needing the cost of a second home.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:08 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I doubt Eugenie and Jack are going to be gifted a country home by the queen. Even if the name is fitting. I don't see them moving far from London, for either of their jobs, nor needing the cost of a second home.
I agree. That they have been allowed to stay on KP is a present, IMO.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I agree. That they have been allowed to stay on KP is a present, IMO.
I thought it was reported they are paying market rent on the home? I thought the Cambridges and Harry are the only rent free occupants of KP.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I thought it was reported they are paying market rent on the home? I thought the Cambridges and Harry are the only rent free occupants of KP.

That is what has been reported, but who really knows who pays, and how much?
Old 05-01-2018, 07:17 PM
Heir Apparent

If I understood it correctly, working royals (Cambridges, Harry, Gloucesters, Duke of Kent) don’t pay rent at KP, other royals living there pay market rent (Prince Michael, Eugenie).
Old 05-05-2018, 12:51 AM
Royal Highness

Royal reporter Richard Kay is suggesting that the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester may move into the Kennsington Palace apartment vacated by Mr Geidt, thus making their premises available for the two brothers to live side by side.

Apartment 1 and apartment 1A.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...1639013152.jpg

Closed Thread

Tags
highgrove, prince harry, prince william, residences