The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 10:51 PM
Majesty

Speculations in the Australian media that Harry and Meghan may end up with York Cottage at Sandringham. Possible but unlikely IMO.

https://www.9news.com.au/world/2018/...l-york-cottage

Old 04-28-2018, 10:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Oh! I like the looks of York Cottage even better than Anmer Hall.

I think this is a plausible future home for Harry and Meghan especially if they do want a country home not far from William and Kate.

We'll see what happens.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Oh that is pretty!! What do we know about York Cottage (what a cottage!)? Is it currently in use by someone ..is it in livable condition etc?

LaRae
Old 04-28-2018, 11:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Currently it houses the Sandringham Estate offices and some holiday accommodation and flats for estate employees.

If it was to be given to Harry then they will need to convert it back into a single house and rehouse the people who currently live there as well as find somewhere else for the estate office staff to work and have their records.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

It would need major work. It is currently used mainly as an estate office for Sandringham. But there is also holiday/staff accommodation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_Cottage

But Amner was being rented out when given to William, so guess not out of question, they could move out who is there.

While the rental accommodation may not be a worry, they would need to consider office space. Probably could easily convert some out building for that if needed.

If they wanted a home at Sandringham, it really is the only option other then building new. Wood farm is the only other property and is currently used by Philip. Appleton was demolished years ago. There are other 'guest houses' rented out for holiday accommodation. I guess maybe one could be turned into offices, if they don't mind losing that income.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

So...is that likely to happen? I said last year I thought Harry would end up at Sandringham close to William/Kate but no one really knew about housing or what was an option....is York Cottage really an option?

LaRae
Old 04-28-2018, 11:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
So...is that likely to happen? I said last year I thought Harry would end up at Sandringham close to William/Kate but no one really knew about housing or what was an option....is York Cottage really an option?

LaRae
Well Amner was not really an option, as it was under lease. But it was given to William.

That said its not such a simple matter as Amner, and ending a lease. There are a lot offices and such to move. And then renovation to turn back into a house.

That said, they might look at it as a positive to preserve the history of it.

Unfortunately there really isn't that many options for homes there.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:14 AM
Heir Apparent

I would be so disappointed if they didn't settle in the Cotswolds! Or around Windsor. York 'Cottage' does not look cozy to me. I don't get a warm fuzzy looking at it.

But I have wondered if house hunting is what Meghan and Harry are now doing. It seems to me that they would want the country home situation settled before they marry, especially as it looks like family will come along pretty fast for them. A country home needs to be settled soon I would think. JMO of course.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Problem with the Cotswalds or something not on a royal estate, is who pays for it?? Harry has to live off the interest of his trust funds, he cant be buying a huge manor. I guess we can hope his dad or Grandma buys one for him.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:42 AM
Majesty

IMO, H&M need a proper London home that can accommodate any family they may have before they acquire a country property.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
IMO, H&M need a proper London home that can accommodate any family they may have before they acquire a country property.
It really comes down to where they plan to make their main home. If London will be their main base, then yes their London apartment needs to be first focus. But if they are like Andrew and Edward, and use their country home as their main home, then the cottage is fine for now.

Honestly I don't see them buying a house in the Cotswalds, or having one bought for them really, unless it will be their main home. If they have a large London base, I think a smaller property on a royal estate is more likely.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:56 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
It really comes down to where they plan to make their main home. If London will be their main base, then yes their London apartment needs to be first focus. But if they are like Andrew and Edward, and use their country home as their main home, then the cottage is fine for now.

Honestly I don't see them buying a house in the Cotswalds, or having one bought for them really, unless it will be their main home. If they have a large London base, I think a smaller property on a royal estate is more likely.
Could not disagree that it is either a large London pad and no major country pile OR a proper place in the Home Counties as their main base and a pied-a-terre in London. That said, I think they will end up with a large London apartment at KP, and in time, a relatively smaller and unpretentious country home on one of the royal estates. It is even possible that in the next reign, they end up with Anmer once W&C take on Highgrove.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:49 AM
Heir Apparent

I hope they aren't 'landed' with the deeply GRIM 'York Cottage'.. Dark, poky and undistinguished, it [beyond its setting] has NOTHING to recommend it..
Old 04-29-2018, 05:15 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I hope they aren't 'landed' with the deeply GRIM 'York Cottage'.. Dark, poky and undistinguished, it [beyond its setting] has NOTHING to recommend it..
I agree, York Cottage does not come across as a light, bright and airy home for a young family!
Old 04-29-2018, 05:22 AM
Heir Apparent

William and Harry seem close so a house on Sandringham would seem a likely option, but as we are seeing there aren't that many options, though who knows there could be more houses on the estate than we know about.

Failing that I can see them having a large London home and a smaller house somewhere in the countryside, the Linley for example, have a small house on an aristocrats large estate, this could be an option for H&M.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:11 AM
Courtier

With time and money York Cottage could be turned into whatever they want it to be. William and Kate did significant work to Anmer when they got it so it clearly was far from their ideal at the beginning. Gut the place at the very least and then Harry and Meghan can make it their dream home.

Equally sure there are bound to be other places for the estate workers and offices to be moved to. An estate that size must have any number of outbuildings. If there isn't they why not build some? It's not as if the Queen can't afford it. Charles has lots of experience in this regard.

There's no way this family have not spent time working out where Harry and his wife will live. This is a challenge which was entirely foreseeable.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
In my view that was much like Amer ...hardly a warm fuzzy feeling to that one. However York is evidently in decent shape and could be renovated to suit them (if this is actually true) ..money really isn't going to be an issue.

I like the outside of it, the shape and color of the stone. No idea what the inside is like of course. It would be nice that it would be restored to a family home. I love it when people take old properties and re-make them while keeping some of the historic features.

LaRae
Old 04-29-2018, 10:37 AM
Courtier

If York Cottage was considered good enough for King George V and his family then, with the right treatment, it's more than good enough for the 6th in line to the throne.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
With time and money York Cottage could be turned into whatever they want it to be. William and Kate did significant work to Anmer when they got it so it clearly was far from their ideal at the beginning. Gut the place at the very least and then Harry and Meghan can make it their dream home.

Equally sure there are bound to be other places for the estate workers and offices to be moved to. An estate that size must have any number of outbuildings. If there isn't they why not build some? It's not as if the Queen can't afford it. Charles has lots of experience in this regard.

There's no way this family have not spent time working out where Harry and his wife will live. This is a challenge which was entirely foreseeable.
I agree. If this is the property that HM decides to gift the couple, then there is always the opportunity to remodel while still preserving some of the exterior details that make it a historic home.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I agree. If this is the property that HM decides to gift the couple, then there is always the opportunity to remodel while still preserving some of the exterior details that make it a historic home.
It would be the perfect time to give York Cottage the restoration and the renovation that would guarantee that the home remains in good shape into the future of the Sandringham estate. It wouldn't be done solely for Harry and Meghan but also for posterity.

We've heard of the renovations that have happened at Wood Farm where Philip is spending a lot of his time too. It just makes good sense to keep places that are on the estate in good working order. Upkeep is important.

Tags
highgrove, prince harry, prince william, residences