Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a little confused. If HM has indeed gifted the Sussex's Adelaide Cottage in Windsor, wouldn't they just need a pied-à-terre such as Nott Cott for London? It works that way for Andrew and Edward.

It has to suck if tabloids are constantly trying to kick you out of your home .

It didn't help that Princess Michael ignited that fire because she didn't want her own apartment taken away and she wasn't going to throw her brother-in-law, The Duke of Kent, under the bus, so she tried to turn media pressure to the Gloucesters. I hope the Gloucesters continue to ignore this nonsense, and if the Queen ever does decide to evict one of her cousins for Harry (which I doubt), I hope the Michaels will be the ones. They aren't working royals, and they are the lowest in the line of succession of the KP dwellers. It would be amusing karma, too.

Last edited:
It didn't help that Princess Michael ignited that fire because she didn't want her own apartment taken away and she wasn't going to throw her brother-in-law, The Duke of Kent, under the bus, so she tried to turn media pressure to the Gloucesters. I hope the Gloucesters continue to ignore this nonsense, and if the Queen ever does decide to evict one of her cousins for Harry (which I doubt), I hope the Michaels will be the ones. The aren't working royals, and they are the lowest in the line of succession of the KP dwellers. It would be amusing karma, too.
The Queen would never evict any of her relatives from their home. Even during the media storm surrounding the Michaels living rent free did she budge and had them leave.

I am a little confused. If HM has indeed gifted the Sussex's Adelaide Cottage in Windsor, wouldn't they just need a pied-à-terre such as Nott Cott for London? It works that way for Andrew and Edward.

None of that has been confirmed though.

LaRae

:previous: True, I did say "if" though. But it makes you have to decide what you "want" to be and work from there.

Personally, I think it would be a little too close living next door to each other. There are all sorts of pitfalls, not least children. If Harry and Meghan have children they will be raised as befits their future. So, look to Beatrice, Eugenie, Louise and James who all actually "have a private life" to live that is not royal, will not include overseas diplomatic trips, etc.

All these necessities to the Cambridge's will be curiosities to the Sussex children and having them live right next door to each other will only serve to highlight to parts of life that royal kids are not fond of. So, having a little distance would be a practical move for both the Cambridge's and the Sussex's which is why I tend to think that Harry will be treated the same way as any other royal second and third, namely Royal Lodge and Bagshot Park.

Last edited:
Still possible they will be given a house on Sandringham. Right now it seems they are renting a house in the Cotswolds for their weekends/down time. Knott Cott when they are in the city.

LaRae

Perhaps, the Sussex’s will stay at their cottage even after they pop out a little crumb snatcher. Perhaps it’s big enough to welcome a child for the moment.

It's two bedroom. Where would they put a nanny which would eventually be needed.

The only way Nptt works with kids is if like Anne, Andrew and Edward, London is not their main home. If they raise their kids in the country and only come to London for events, it could work. But not as a primary home.

If they move into I highly doubt it is just a matter of a new roof. They will not want to move into a house decorated by the Gloucesters. It will take a lot if time and money to refurbish it for the couple. And to prepare a home for the Gloucesters.

I still find it likely that something like 4b will be used. Especially if they have a country home. A large opulent apartment though not as big as 1 which would not require two moves and two apartments being redone.

I still find it likely that something like 4b will be used. Especially if they have a country home. A large opulent apartment though not as big as 1 which would not require two moves and two apartments being redone.

I can't see 4B because it's kind of an awkward position. It's not suitable as their primary home and it's on the big side for a London dwelling just for when they are working. I know people like to talk about Diana saying it being more grand than hers, but grand and size is different. Plus the fact that 4B doesn't have a private garden. That will be a concern for when they have children. How this will work out will both depend on where the couple like to be based for the most part (city vs suburb) and what is available.

:previous: True, I did say "if" though. But it makes you have to decide what you "want" to be and work from there.

Personally, I think it would be a little too close living next door to each other. There are all sorts of pitfalls, not least children. If Harry and Meghan have children they will be raised as befits their future. So, look to Beatrice, Eugenie, Louise and James who all actually "have a private life" to live that is not royal, will not include overseas diplomatic trips, etc.

All these necessities to the Cambridge's will be curiosities to the Sussex children and having them live right next door to each other will only serve to highlight to parts of life that royal kids are not fond of. So, having a little distance would be a practical move for both the Cambridge's and the Sussex's which is why I tend to think that Harry will be treated the same way as any other royal second and third, namely Royal Lodge and Bagshot Park.
I agree that it's too close. But for different reasons. These children have different paths carved out. Even if they don't live next door, they'll have regular contact given how close their fathers are. I honestly don't think the Sussex children will want for what the Cambridge children dealing with. Especially if they are anything like their parents. And the Sussex children can have as much or as little exposure publicly as their parents want, but my money is on less. Although, I don't see the couple doing diplomatic tours, especially extended tours, without their children, before they start school.

Last edited:
Too bad those days are gone where senior royals could live at places like Belgrave Square; which the late Duke and Duchess of Kent once lived.

Yes, the Yorks also lived in central London in a private home, now demolished, until 1936. Of course bringing up young children in the London of those days was very different to today. Less traffic for one thing and no photographer lenses at the windows.

I can see Harry and Meghan with a big country home actually and a smaller place in the city, which is the reverse of what I pictured last year. They appear very fond of the Cotswolds it seems and that might be their base.

It's two bedroom. Where would they put a nanny which would eventually be needed.

Don’t other members of staff live in Kensington Palace? I seem to remember they do, if so, a nanny could get a smaller apartment on palace grounds. That would be close enough.

Not if they are to look after the child at night. The 'staff' that live at KP are senior staff such as Private Secretaries who are entitled to 'free accommodation' via apartments there as part of their salary package as 'official employees'. A nanny would be a 'private employee' and so Harry and Meghan would have to pay for any accommodation outside their own apartment.

The only way Nptt works with kids is if like Anne, Andrew and Edward, London is not their main home. If they raise their kids in the country and only come to London for events, it could work. But not as a primary home.

If they move into I highly doubt it is just a matter of a new roof. They will not want to move into a house decorated by the Gloucesters. It will take a lot if time and money to refurbish it for the couple. And to prepare a home for the Gloucesters.

A few months ago Omid said Knott Cott is a 3 bedroom..I asked him about this on Twitter and he said while it is often claimed to only have 2 that it does indeed have 3 bedrooms.

LaRae

I just don't see Harry and Meghan staying in Nott Cott much longer.
It simply isn't suitable for children.

And it wouldn't work as a London base for a family. Since the Sussexes are working royals, they'll need a sizable London property to accommodate family and staff, or else a property near enough to London (like Windsor).

KP is beyond cramped at this point. What happened to the apartment that Christopher Geidt left behind?

Why would they need a nanny during the night? H&M will be home and able to take care if their own child. So, unless they are of on a tour (and then they might take it along, like W&C did) then the nanny could stay in the cottage. Otherwise he/she will only have to be there when the parents have to leave for engagements.

A few months ago Omid said Knott Cott is a 3 bedroom..I asked him about this on Twitter and he said while it is often claimed to only have 2 that it does indeed have 3 bedrooms.

LaRae

That's still not enough once they have a child. What if Doria or one of Meghan's friends is visiting? They have to have a guest room as well. And I highly doubt all three are used as bedroom even if it is a three bedroom.

Why would they need a nanny during the night? H&M will be home and able to take care if their own child. So, unless they are of on a tour (and then they might take it along, like W&C did) then the nanny could stay in the cottage. Otherwise he/she will only have to be there when the parents have to leave for engagements.

Nannies typically live with the family even if they aren't needed at nights. Bottom line is NottCott is not sustainable once they have a child.

If the rumors are true that they've rented a place in Cotswoulds for now (we still don't have anything more than unsubstantiated rumors at this point), then that could be big enough to accommodate at first. But even then, that'll likely change due to the security for the children. While Harry, and Meghan for now, gets 24/7 protection, that wouldn't likely be the case for their children. Living on Palace grounds is the best option security wise. The length of the lease at Cotswoulds have also be debated based on various reports (which tells me no one really knows), but they are all relatively short lease. Nothing like Bagshot or Royal Lodge, so that tells me that it's temporary solution and it a wait to see what happens in the next few years (most rumors have been about 2-3, but one says 5) in terms of space and what royal accommodation becomes available. And if the 2-3 years is correct, it's more likely to only intended to accommodate them as a childless couple.

Last edited:
Well I would imagine Knott Cott (which is larger from what I am told than some people are thinking) could handle Harry/Meghan a child and a guest. They don't need PPO's to live in the house with them...and not likely a nanny will live in the house at night if they are going to be as hands on as some of the other Royals.

I do think they will have a country home (I'm still guessing at Sandringham) and a place at KP...they don't need a larger home at KP until they start looking at a second child..assuming they have a second child. Her age is going to factor in.

LaRae

Well I would imagine Knott Cott (which is larger from what I am told than some people are thinking) could handle Harry/Meghan a child and a guest. They don't need PPO's to live in the house with them...and not likely a nanny will live in the house at night if they are going to be as hands on as some of the other Royals.

I
LaRae
They're going to say they are hands on, it doesn't mean every time the baby cries they're going to get up. Of course the Nanny will live with them. And PPOs are not going to be much help if they are not close by....
And I would imagine that they would want a couple of guest bedrooms and not small ones...

I do think they will have a country home (I'm still guessing at Sandringham) and a place at KP...they don't need a larger home at KP until they start looking at a second child..assuming they have a second child. Her age is going to factor in.
Which royals have 9-5 nanny? Just because royal parents are hands on, doesn't mean their nanny leaves at 5PM. I've never heard of a royal nanny not stay with the family. There will be days when they have late nights or early mornings or packed schedules the next day. Unlikely for Meghan to have packed schedule for the first few months, but she's not going to be a stay at home mom mostly for very long. And once they have a nanny, they would want that person to be around for a few years, and they'll have to consider nights away.

Sandringham is not practical at this point for anything more than a weekend home. They aren't going to be like what Kate and Will was for the past 7 years. It's way too far from London. They'll either have their permanent home in London or surrounding areas (Windsor or Cotswoulds). And I doubt they are going to be moving every time they have a child. If they have a child by the time she's 38, or even 39, there is still enough time for another. Even possibly two given how late women are having children these days. They'll plan accordingly when a permanent solution is made.

RPOs will need accommodation on the grounds if they aren't living at a royal residence with security in place. Not sure how it works on KP. I imagine there are less of them and they might just have to be on standby. I remember when Harry was staying with Meghan in Toronto, the RPO was outside her house 24/7 (in rotation of course). That's what will happen if they don't live on secured grounds like KP. They might just have a more permanent place than the car.

Last edited:
A discussion about possible working hours for potential nannies of non-existing children is not appropriate for this thread. Please move on.

It’s pretty obvious that the Sussex’s Nottingham Cottage is just a temporary residence. It’s a bachelor’s pad, not a family home. I’m alone, so it’s a place for guys like me.

For security and personal reason - any potential royal residence is considered a “rumor” until the home is officially established.

W.
RPOs will need accommodation on the grounds if they aren't living at a royal residence with security in place. Not sure how it works on KP. I imagine there are less of them and they might just have to be on standby. I remember when Harry was staying with Meghan in Toronto, the RPO was outside her house 24/7 (in rotation of course). That's what will happen if they don't live on secured grounds like KP. They might just have a more permanent place than the car.

I'd imagine that RPOs need to have a room/office on the spot for security?

Last edited by a moderator:
KP is beyond cramped at this point. What happened to the apartment that Christopher Geidt left behind?

It’s pretty obvious that the Sussex’s Nottingham Cottage is just a temporary residence. It’s a bachelor’s pad, not a family home. I’m alone, so it’s a place for guys like me.

For security and personal reason - any potential royal residence is considered a “rumor” until the home is officially established.
It is my understanding that HM allowed Christopher Geidt and his family to stay in their apartment until the end of the school year so as not to upset the children's education.

As to rumours of moving, I too am on board with the status quo until otherwise formally announced. I also remember the dissembling BP did when Amner Hall was being refurbished and that was lie through their teeth! That may sound harsh, but I am sick of people obfuscating when everyone is well aware of the truth of the matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

LaRae

I don't believe Nottingham cottage has 3 bedrooms. The floor plan of Nottingham cottage are available online from official records and the floor plan show 2 bedroom and 2 baths. We haven't heard new of any renovation work at Nothingham cottage and any construction to expand the building would be public record.

I recognise it is all speculation at this stage, but I suspect Harry will, in time, end up with a decent sized apartment at KP (Apartment 1, Apt 4b, something else?), and a home in the country.

For now, the home in the country does not have to be a major property like Highgrove, but probably something smaller and probably more affordable to manage, perhaps on the Windsor estate.

My other thought is that, quite possibly, any country home they have will probably be an interim arrangement till the end of this reign only. When Charles is King, I suspect he will leave his beloved Highgrove to the next Prince of Wales, who in turn might let Harry use Anmer. Clearly this is speculation on my part, but I would welcome your thoughts.

I don't believe Nottingham cottage has 3 bedrooms. The floor plan of Nottingham cottage are available online from official records and the floor plan show 2 bedroom and 2 baths. We haven't heard new of any renovation work at Nothingham cottage and any construction to expand the building would be public record.

The floor plan shows only the first floor. Perhaps there is a third bedroom upstairs?

The floor plan shows only the first floor. Perhaps there is a third bedroom upstairs?
Looking at pictures taken both of the front and from the air it's obvious to me that there's room for at least one bedroom up there. If the airshots are correct there's one window at the side of the house and two in the back.
Regarding the staff the cottage is surrounded by staff quarters and other outbuildings meaning there could be atleast day accommodations for them.
The size of the cottage is given as 123 square meters on the floor plan. Could that be for both floors or just the bottom floor?

Last edited:
Well, this is funny

Apparently, according to Time Magazine, which is a totally mainstream publication, the floor plan we may have thought was Nott Cott is actually of an apartment at Windsor Court, in North Carolina, with a square footage of 1324 sq ft, which is the equivalent of 123 sq meters. I thought the layout looked a bit modern. Back to googling floor plans...

What We Know About Prince Harry's Nottingham Cottage | Money

My other thought is that, quite possibly, any country home they have will probably be an interim arrangement till the end of this reign only. When Charles is King, I suspect he will leave his beloved Highgrove to the next Prince of Wales, who in turn might let Harry use Anmer. Clearly this is speculation on my part, but I would welcome your thoughts.

The problem with that solution is that William seems to like Norfollk, while Harry prefers the Cotswolds.
So, an exchange of that sort wouldn't make everybody happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom