Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? ......

For one thing because the reported security measures and costs for security on the home in the Cotswolds made no sense.

This house on the grounds of Windsor makes a lot of sense security wise--and is near where Harry plays polo.

I don't think they have one. there would problaby be talk about it, we would be told where it is, and when they are moving in etc...

And I would think the intrepid reporters would be on the trail if there were real hints Harry and Meghan were actually living out of London. i don't doubt they go visit people and stay with some of them for a few days.

I actually think Adelaide Cottage fits the bill for the couple and would not be surprised if this turns out to be true.

It's close to Windsor Castle, Frogmore house the Queen's private apartments at Windsor and Harry's polo. It was also recently renovated in 2015 so no major work needs to done.

One of the reasons reported for why the couple chose Windsor Castle for their wedding is that the couple spent a lot of time in the area while dating going frequently on long walks on the grounds. We also know Meghan absolutely adores Frogmore house which is also close by.

It was also reported at the time of the wedding though it went under the radar that the couple were given some sort of accommodations at Windsor so they could stay over for a night or two while planning the wedding. (it wasn't clear whether it was just a room or a small apartment).

I think the couple really adore the area and feel a real connection to it.

Last edited:
And I would think the intrepid reporters would be on the trail if there were real hints Harry and Meghan were actually living out of London. i don't doubt they go visit people and stay with some of them for a few days.

But I suppose they might be renting a house. All the same, even a rented property might be chased up by the Press..

don't seem like gilded dolphin fans to me.

Would they be allowed to change things

No.. but they could 'paint out' the Dolphins [ie, paint them the same colour as the rest of the ceiling], or as friends of mine [who inherited incredibly grand, and overpowering murals ,also 'listed'], they could 'tent' the room, hiding what they don't like, but not damaging it ?
Undoubtedly the dolphins and rope will be part of 'the listing' which is Grade II* [the second highest] so their removal would be [rightly] forbidden.

Last edited:
Oh I love this prospect. I am so hoping for this report to be right.

My favourite option from all the speculations. Seems like the perfect country house for every reason.

• Close to London
  • Crown Estate(security)
  • not a tiny parish, but a decently sized town (Windsor proper has quit a bit to offer)
  • a lot to explore nearby
  • closer to other country homes
  • close to Harry's polo
  • potential for great golf, tennis, cricket, bowling, etc.
  • great schools nearby for the future(should they wish to relocate their base with time)
  • obvious sentimental connection (love the symbolic symmetry)
  • they actually enjoy Windsor
  • recently renovated(although the extant of the renovations is unknown, it is fair to assume that it is at least in an inhabitable condition)
  • the property grounds seems just the right size
  • Sitting on this bench might just be on my bucket list.

Just lovely and seems like such a great fit.

If the gilded dolphins are not to their taste, I am sure they could cover them up with removable ceiling tiles. Not a hill to die on, in my opinion ..haha

________

I highly doubt they already have a country home, it wold be quite foolish to rush into buying/securing one when so much is still yet to be figured out. It has been reported that they are 'renting in the Cotswolds' for the time being and I could see that being a legitimate option. Enjoying their down time in a furbished and updated rented property until things settle down a bit.

Last edited:
Save those dolphins Harry, Meghan!

Imagine Sunday mornings with all the kids in bed with you, having games and stories about the gold fish swimming about on the ceiling.

The Mirror has now put up a Google Map of Adelaide Cottage's location. Really just at the back door of Windsor Castle.

Is that too close for the couple? Too much under the watchful eye of whoever.

Last edited:
Is there anything new about Apartment 1 in Kensington Palace? I read somewhere that it's being renovated for HM to move in while BP is being redone. That would explain (to me at least) why the Gloucesters allegedly move out - more than making room for Harry & Meghan.:flowers:

Oh I love this prospect. I am so hoping for this report to be right.

My favourite option from all the speculations. Seems like the perfect country house for every reason.

• Close to London
  • Crown Estate(security)
  • not a tiny parish, but a decently sized town (Windsor proper has quit a bit to offer)
  • a lot to explore nearby
  • closer to other country homes
  • close to Harry's polo
  • potential for great golf, tennis, cricket, bowling, etc.
  • great schools nearby for the future(should they wish to relocate their base with time)
  • obvious sentimental connection (love the symbolic symmetry)
  • they actually enjoy Windsor
  • recently renovated(although the extant of the renovations is unknown, it is fair to assume that it is at least in an inhabitable condition)
  • the property grounds seems just the right size
  • Sitting on this bench might just be on my bucket list.

Just lovely and seems like such a great fit.

If the gilded dolphins are not to their taste, I am sure they could cover them up with removable ceiling tiles. Not a hill to die on, in my opinion ..haha

________

I highly doubt they already have a country home, it wold be quite foolish to rush into buying/securing one when so much is still yet to be figured out. It has been reported that they are 'renting in the Cotswolds' for the time being and I could see that being a legitimate option. Enjoying their down time in a furbished and updated rented property until things settle down a bit.

We have to wait and see what happens to Windsor Castle when Charles becomes king. I can't see him handing over Highgrove to William and move into the castle for weekends.

Well I think Charles will, after nearly 70 years of waiting, probably know becoming King will involve a few house moves. I wonder if he may just do what he does now with Dumfries house, keep Highgrove for entertaining, showing off the gardens etc with the option of staying over if needed.
He may not use Windsor as much as the Queen does now but I can't see him not using it. At the end of the day is more practical for the Sovereign - closer to London, secure, bigger.

Whatever happens to Windsor it still doesn't rule it out for Harry and Meghan, it will still be Crown Land with a huge area of restricted access that will be more private and easier to secure as well as being close to London.

We have to wait and see what happens to Windsor Castle when Charles becomes king. I can't see him handing over Highgrove to William and move into the castle for weekends.

Like it or not, that will happen.

Depending on when Charles succeeds to the throne, BP will be under renovation. So at least Windsor will have to be used by the new monarch and consort.

Winsor makes more sense for the couple than a cottage at Sandringham. Meghan has mostly lived in big cities all her life so a move to the isolated country side could be too drastic of a change.

Windsor provides lots of privacy and security for the couple while also being a good sized normal town. It is also places them in an area similar to other members of family like Edward & Sophie in Bagshot and Anne's estate where Mike and Zara live.

Last edited:
Anne's estate is actually in Gloucestershire so is inside the Cotswolds and about 1.5hours from Windsor. I think Windsor would be a good choice though especially if they don't move into a large residence in London, they would have a larger house in the country 45mins from London to be in most of the time and a London residence for when needed. Certainly it would seem a better fit for Meghan than Sandringham if she is use to "city life".

Do we know the size of this 'cottage'? How many bedrooms etc?

LaRae

So if I remember correctly Windsor park is crown estate while Sandringham is considered the Queen's private property.

So the Queen could gift Anmer Hall in Sandringham to the Cambridges and they didn't have to pay anything but is Adelaide cottage the Queen's gift to the Sussexs?

I think it would be similar to the Yorks arrangement with the Royal Lodge which is also located on the same estate the Sussexs would have given a special leasing agreement.

So if I remember correctly Windsor park is crown estate while Sandringham is considered the Queen's private property.

So the Queen could gift Anmer Hall in Sandringham to the Cambridges and they didn't have to pay anything but is Adelaide cottage the Queen's gift to the Sussexs?

I think it would be similar to the Yorks arrangement with the Royal Lodge which is also located on the same estate the Sussexs would have given a special leasing agreement.

I think you are correct--it wouldn't be a gift exactly--although I guess the Queen could pay for a long term lease and gift them that.

And really Anmer Hall is on property William will own one day anyway, so...

It wouldn't be any different then if she gifted them a home on Sandringham. Technically the property would belong to Charles and then William and so on.

A crown estate has always made the most sense anyways. Like Edward and Andrew now. A long lease paid out by the queen or Charles, instead of buying a huge estate.

The only way they would get a house where they really owned it, and land, would be a stand alone home. Not on one of the estates. But that is a huge cost including the security.

Charles is said to have bought some properties around Highgrove. It would put Harry close to many friends and polo, and his cousins as well. But I think it more likely he will be in a crown property.

Nice overhead view so you can see the location of the 'cottage' Looks like it has some privacy with all the trees.

Attachments

• Adelaidecottage.jpg
    Adelaidecottage.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 371
So if Harry and Meghan do something similar to Edward and Andrew does mean it would be a very long term lease paid for by the Queen/ Charles or does that mean the lease will be paid out and the property belongs 100% to the couple.

I believe it was reported that The Queen bought Edward and Sophie their bagshot house and that it belongs to them 100% while for Andrew it is a long term lease that is still being paid and that it does not 100% belong to Andrew.

Last edited:
So if Harry and Meghan do something similar to Edward and Andrew does mean it would be a very long term lease paid for by the Queen/ Charles or does that mean the lease will be paid out and the property belongs 100% to the couple.

I believe it was reported that The Queen bought Edward and Sophie their bagshot house and that it belongs to them 100% while for Andrew it is a long term lease that is still being paid and that it does not 100% belong to Andrew.

Given that Adelaide Cottage is within Windsor Great Park grounds I do not think it could be purchased by anyone.

Edward & Sophie lease. Andrew owned Sunninghill Park, he leases Royal Lodge.

"In March 1998, the Mansion House at Bagshot Park, including a block of stables and Sunningdale Lodge, was leased by the Crown Estate to Prince Edward for 50 years."

The plans for the roof repair on Apartment 1 was approved long before Meghan and Harry got engaged. And there is no official word or even reliable reporting that Gloucesters have moved out.

If it was renovated in 2015 they could be already living there.

No the queen didn't buy Bagshot. It was originally leased for 50 years. Edward extended that lease. It is said he has extended it to 150 years. Edward and Sophie pay 90,000 pounds a year to lease it since renovations were done. But they actually only pay about 10,000 as they sublease the stable blocks out to a company.

The homes will never belong to Andrew or Edward. Its not lease to own. When they finish paying, they wont own it. Lease is basically renting, its just a set period of time. In the case of these properties, very long term set times.

Andrew doesn't pay money on his lease because they paid for the renovations on the home. The over 7 million he put into refurbishing the home is considered to be his rent payments. If he moves out before the first 25 years of his lease, he gets a portion of the money back that he put in. As the money was considered paying 25 years of rent in advance. So if he moves out in 20 years, then he gets back 5 years of rent.

Puzzled. Your link does not link to anything indicated as a Slopes Lodge. :huh: It links to Adelaide Cottage.

Am I missing something?

If you zoom in and recenter the map so that Windsor castle is at the midway point on the left side of the map, and Adelaide cottage is near the bottom about one third of the way away from the edge of the map, you'll see that there's a building identified as Slope Lodge north of the East Lawn; the Mirror identified that as Adelaide Cottage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom