Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like the Cotswold stories. :flowers: I'm rooting for the brand new house for Meghan.

I just heard a podcast with Omid & Emily talking about this...they say they don't believe the story about them moving into Apt 1. They believe since Knott Cott has 3 bedrooms and is quite roomy that they will be there for some time. They also believe they are renting a home in the country at present...but nothing was said about the building rumor.

LaRae

:previous: It sounds reasonable to me. :flowers: Mainly because Meghan is new to the area and needs to get her footing. It will take time for them as a couple to suss out how they want to raise their family, factoring in all preferences.

I just heard a podcast with Omid & Emily talking about this...they say they don't believe the story about them moving into Apt 1. They believe since Knott Cott has 3 bedrooms and is quite roomy that they will be there for some time. They also believe they are renting a home in the country at present...but nothing was said about the building rumor.

LaRae

All reports have said Nott cottage is only 2 bedrooms. Ivy is 3, Nott is 2. It is described as 2 bedroom/1 bath home with 2 reception rooms. Its fine while they have no kids, but when they have kids they wont have space for a nanny. And like William and Kate, who only lived there part time, they are full time. Not to mention guests like Doria. Any apartment they take over is going to need some work. Certainly decisions and plans are well under way.

Last edited:
All reports have said Nott cottage is only 2 bedrooms. Ivy is 3, Nott is 2. It is described as 2 bedroom/1 bath home with 2 reception rooms. Its fine while they have no kids, but when they have kids they wont have space for a nanny. And like William and Kate, who only lived there part time, they are full time. Not to mention guests like Doria. Any apartment they take over is going to need some work. Certainly decisions and plans are well under way.

Yes that has been my understanding too....so I don't know if Emily had a oops moment or previous reports about only 2 bedrooms being in error.

I still think that they will have to find a new place when Meghan is pregnant or shortly after she has a baby..although it would seem to me moving before would be better.

It still makes sense to me that the Duke/Duchess of Gloucester could *possibly* be moving to smaller apartments. I'm not sure where else there would be for Harry/Meghan to move into at KP. I can't imagine they will shift over to C.H.

LaRae

LaRae
Yes, I believe they have confused Harry's cottage with Eugenie's. As to the move into KP itself, I don't know about Apartment 1A as it is still the Gloucester's home. If they move they could just as easily move into Sir Christopher Geidt's Apartment when it becomes vacant.

This is just the Daily Fail trying re-write the facts once again.
DailyMail said:
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will reportedly become neighbours with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge when they settle in to the 21-room apartment.

And in order to make the apartment fit for a royal couple the palace has forked out an eye-watering total of £1.4 million according to Hello!
Wow, they've spent £1.4 million to make it fit for a royal couple. Duh! The money was spent repairing the roof and tiles which is no small job and was scheduled before Harry's engagement.

What the DM has omitted is that all of that money was spent on the roof repair and an equally "royal couple", the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, already live there and have done since their wedding in 1972!

MARG what info do we have on Sr Geidt's apartment?

LaRae

Little is known, or seen, of the apartments used by staff as they are private.

The largest option would be 4b. It is six bedrooms, and said to be so opulent that royals like Diana were jealous of it. Size wise it would suit the Sussexes, or the Gloucesters. I am not convinced the Gloucesters plan to move. Only proof they made the offer back when the Cambridges married, was Princess Michael suggesting it was a good idea.

The other apartments of staff, beyond 4b, are simply described as 'smaller apartments'.

The Gloucesters may be empty nesters but this is their family home. This is where their kids and grandkids will come for holidays. It also houses their offices. Unlike the Sussexes who have separate offices, and likely will have a country home at some point, even on one of the estates.

Yes that has been my understanding too....so I don't know if Emily had a oops moment or previous reports about only 2 bedrooms being in error.

I read this thread before getting to this edition of On Heir, and so I had my antenna up for the discussion of Nott Cott when I listened this morning.

It was Omid who said three bedrooms, and it sounded to me that he was implying that people have a misunderstanding if the house and its layout. He specifically said people think of it as a “two up, two down, but...” and then said it has three bedrooms and that it’s “quite comfortable.”

Of course the thing about this is that you never really know where the information is coming from, but he is in a position to chat off the record with people who’ve actually been there, so he could know something we don’t. Or he could be misunderstood about it, too.

I keep seeing Apartment 1A being mentioned and correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't Apartment 1A the home of the Cambridges?

Yes 1 is the Gloucesters and 1A is the Cambridges.

LaRae

I read this thread before getting to this edition of On Heir, and so I had my antenna up for the discussion of Nott Cott when I listened this morning.

It was Omid who said three bedrooms, and it sounded to me that he was implying that people have a misunderstanding if the house and its layout. He specifically said people think of it as a “two up, two down, but...” and then said it has three bedrooms and that it’s “quite comfortable.”

Of course the thing about this is that you never really know where the information is coming from, but he is in a position to chat off the record with people who’ve actually been there, so he could know something we don’t. Or he could be misunderstood about it, too.

Oh yes it was Omid now that you phrase it...sorry about that!!

I think I will ask him to clarify that he was talking of Nott Cott and not Ivy Cottage by mistake.

LaRae

When was it first planned? I'm quite sure that Harry's intentions were clear from late 2016/early 2017.

Doesn't matter when Harry's intentions were clear. At that point, others don't know if Harry's relationship will end up in marriage or break up. Plans wouldn't be made that far in advance. Even without considering that, the roof will have to be repaired as long as someone lives there. And right now, the Gloucesters live there. But I imagine that headline wouldn't get nearly as much interest.

4B would work. Why is everyone fixated on the Gloucesters’ place?

4B would work. Why is everyone fixated on the Gloucesters’ place?

That's what media has been reporting. The issue with 4B is that it's still quite limited with no private garden. KP has other things going on. There really wouldn't be any outside space for any children they might have to go to if that's where they ended up. If they go with 4B, I think it's likely they won't be based there.

And when Diana supposedly said it's grander than hers. I highly doubt it was meant as it has more room than hers.

I think the Gloucesters might like moving to 4B; that may have been their desire all along - I think it i interesting that they keep 'offering' to move. they may be looking to downsize - a bit - still something nice and "comfortable" but not with the huge amount of upkeep.

If we know anything about the BRF is that there is a master plan; they just havent shared it with us yet... for all we know the Gloucesters have already relocated within KP (living with major roof rehab wouldnt have been fun) - but less drama and attention. I expect eventually H&M may very well be in Apt 1 with the walled garden and the security already in place for the Cambridges... just extending the net and coverage.

Omid replied to my question about Nott Cott:

Omid Scobie

Verified account

@scobie
2h2 hours ago
More

It’s long been reported as a two-bed but I understand it has three and is bigger than people assume.

Hmmmm so interesting.

LaRae

:previous: Interesting...hopefully that means it's bigger than the rumoured 1200 square feet as well. I do find it weird that the specifications on Nott Cott would be misreported all this time. Reporters didn't dig up these details when W&K lived there?

I also think the long term plan is for H&M to end up in 1a. Easier, with less fuss, to get public funds for a future king. W&C will end up in CH with C&C in BP after repairs, and WC while it is going on. JMO.

I also think the long term plan is for H&M to end up in 1a. Easier, with less fuss, to get public funds for a future king. W&C will end up in CH with C&C in BP after repairs, and WC while it is going on. JMO.

I have read that Clarence House is not really a good residence for young children. So I think The Cambridges will stay put in KP until William becomes King.

That's what media has been reporting. The issue with 4B is that it's still quite limited with no private garden. KP has other things going on. There really wouldn't be any outside space for any children they might have to go to if that's where they ended up. If they go with 4B, I think it's likely they won't be based there.

And when Diana supposedly said it's grander than hers. I highly doubt it was meant as it has more room than hers.

:previous: Interesting...hopefully that means it's bigger than the rumoured 1200 square feet as well. I do find it weird that the specifications on Nott Cott would be misreported all this time. Reporters didn't dig up these details when W&K lived there?
4B could be quite a successful stopgap but if they start a family they will have a country home. I think that they will be afforded paternity/maternity leave just as William and Catherine have done.

As to the size of Nott Cott? No, I don't believe they have "fooled" the media for that long. It is a cottage that is a real, honest to God, cottage with two bedrooms. They only need one at present and the rooms are supposedly not pokey. The only complaint I have ever read about the Wales boys living there was that the door lintels are not high even if the ceilings in the rooms are.

KP is the Cambridge’s official residence until William is King. KP has let this be officially known.

I have read that Clarence House is not really a good residence for young children. So I think The Cambridges will stay put in KP until William becomes King.

I agree - I also tend to think that Charles and Camilla will stay at CH and will forgo moving to BP. I am sure William will though eventually, but I just don't see the two sons moving to CH. It has particularly no outdoor space for the children and it'd need renovations and updating. It would also be a bad look for William and Catherine to move to CH and have another large scale remodel. Although, I can see CH going to Prince George once his father ascends to the throne.

The only way I could see either sons relocating to CH, is if Harry and Meghan were to forgo moving out of Nott Cott altogether and have their family seat elsewhere for the time being. However, with the uncertainty of timing and not really knowing where H&M are looking as a country home I feel this to be a fairly unlikely scenario. (I am also hoping for the Queen to continue to grace us with her unmatched presence for a long, long time & am simultaneously hoping for at least a pair of wee ones for H&M --> so, not really an option.)

Apartment 1 and Apartment 1A are 'final destination' homes - from there you only move to BP, imo & William and Catherine have previously indicated that they'd like to stay there for good.

___

As for the topic of the thread,

I am actually hoping that the conversation eventually turns back to the York Cottage as H&M's ultimate country home. It is not in the best of conditions - to my understanding, so I could see the CS renovating and updating the home before leasing it to M&H in a year or two.

Last edited:

Oppulent, not grander. Meaning fancy not size. The floors alone are said to be over 200,000 pounds. 6 bedrooms is massive. You have to remember that doesn't count things like servants rooms. It may not even include the nurseries (or double nurseries). William and Kate's is described as 5-6 bedrooms (though that number doesn't include the rooms for the servants). The staircase is said to be breathtaking too. 4b is certainly not a small space.

They could also expand into apartment 4 which is vacant. It wouldn't be the first time apartments had been merged. Which if London is their base, and they don't get a country home for some time, is possible.

As for the topic of the thread,

I am actually hoping that the conversation eventually turns back to the York Cottage as H&M's ultimate country home. It is not in the best of conditions - to my understanding, so I could see the CS renovating and updating the home before leasing it to M&H in a year or two.

I just don’t think York Cottage won’t happen. Not only because of the reasons already stated about the difficulty in renovating it, but also because it’s on a tourist path.

Oppulent, not grander. Meaning fancy not size. The floors alone are said to be over 200,000 pounds. 6 bedrooms is massive. You have to remember that doesn't count things like servants rooms. It may not even include the nurseries (or double nurseries). William and Kate's is described as 5-6 bedrooms (though that number doesn't include the rooms for the servants). The staircase is said to be breathtaking too. 4b is certainly not a small space.

They could also expand into apartment 4 which is vacant. It wouldn't be the first time apartments had been merged. Which if London is their base, and they don't get a country home for some time, is possible.

I think the issue will ultimately be that there is no secured outdoor space. It’s one thing for Meghan to have said to run in KP gardens with RPO, I can’t imagine they’d feel safe with children running around without RPOs whenever they aren’t around. And I’m not sure why 4B wouldn’t include servant rooms if 1A room count includes it. From the look of it from the outside, the scale matches 5-6 overall rooms to the 21 rooms in 1A

I think the issue will ultimately be that there is no secured outdoor space. It’s one thing for Meghan to have said to run in KP gardens with RPO, I can’t imagine they’d feel safe with children running around without RPOs whenever they aren’t around. And I’m not sure why 4B wouldn’t include servant rooms if 1A room count includes it. From the look of it from the outside, the scale matches 5-6 overall rooms to the 21 rooms in 1A

1A doesn't include it all, as I said. It was described as having 5 bedrooms. 3 main bedrooms, and then nurseries. The 22 room count includes 5 reception rooms, 2 kitchens, and staff rooms. The staff rooms aren't included in the count of 'bedrooms' but in the general count of overall space. 4b is not described a 5-6 rooms Overall. It is described as 5-6 bedrooms (not including reception rooms and everything else). That count stands to be seen.

I doubt George and Charlotte run around outside without their RPOs in attendance no matter where they are. So I don't see the issue. And I'm sure there is private outdoor space at KP where any future Sussex children could play, even if it is not right outside their door.

[-][/-]
Omid replied to my question about Nott Cott:

Omid Scobie

Verified account

@scobie
2h2 hours ago
More

It’s long been reported as a two-bed but I understand it has three and is bigger than people assume.

Hmmmm so interesting.

LaRae
Just on that point, wasn’t it in Notts cottage that H&M did their BBC engagement interview? If so it didn’t appear the same size as what I would call a cottage thought not saying its a mansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom