The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #821  
Old 10-23-2017, 11:35 AM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,152
Andrew, Edward and Anne -all got large country homes so they get small London accommodations. Margaret got the large London home and no country house. The Kents, Gloucesters could not afford to maintain their country homes.
__________________

  #822  
Old 10-23-2017, 01:32 PM
Tamara77's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Appalachian Mountains, United States
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
No, even the information on it isn't clear. Some articles say 5 bedrooms, others 6. It has been a private residence for many years to royal staff, so not likely to have been photographed. And seems to have been updated during those times.
Thank you, Countessmeout!
__________________

  #823  
Old 10-23-2017, 02:38 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades CA, United States
Posts: 4,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
Why is it hard for some of you to believe Harry can have a large Kensington apt and a country home? Combining Apt 4a and 4b is logical. How many rooms does 4a have?
I think the arguments are based on history and the fact that a country home requires up-keep (money, if not on a Crown Estate). It's all a matter of what Harry can afford or is willing to use his capital on. Also, why have a grand country home if one spends all one's time in London, and vice versa, why have a grand London home that stands idle most of the time because one is always at home in the country.

Fact is Apt 4B has been sitting idle for years and there are news articles going back to 2011 claiming that 4B us being kept free for Harry. It seems to me the decision was made long ago. Harry picked Apt 4B (maybe) but has not wanted to move in until he marries.

P.S. I would think, as well, that the woman Harry marries would have input into the future family's living arrangements.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
  #824  
Old 10-23-2017, 02:50 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 15,334
One thing, I think, that we can pretty much count on as a given is that Harry and his family will have a London based residence and by all logistics, Kensington Palace seems to be the most logical place that it will be.

The country home angle is really what is up for speculation. We don't know what Harry and his family will prefer or even where they may prefer it to be. They'll find somewhere that resonates with them when the time comes. If we look at Charles, we notice that he went totally personal in his choice of Highgrove. He also had the perk of being able to convince the Duchy of Cornwall that buying Highgrove was a good investment to make.

For all we know, once Charles does become King, Harry and his growing family may prefer Birkhall or they may prefer somewhere in Norfolk on the Sandringham estate or near to it. Then again, they just might opt out for a little grass shack somewhere in Africa to "escape" to every now and then.

For now, Nottingham Cottage at KP fits the bill for a single Harry and even cozy and comfy for newlyweds. I don't see them having to make major decisions about residences right yet but they most likely have a general idea of what those decisions will be.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #825  
Old 10-23-2017, 03:17 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,191
I can't see Harry not having some sort of country house to use. I suspect a KP apartment for city use, to me the question is how big the house in the country will be.
  #826  
Old 10-23-2017, 03:26 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,091
Realistically, due to time and ages H&M will probably only have 1 or 2 children even if she does a CP Victoria! So the need for a large space at KP may not be that great...the same for a country home. It could be rather modest in size as opposed to some great pile.


LaRae
  #827  
Old 10-23-2017, 03:36 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Burke, United States
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I think the arguments are based on history and the fact that a country home requires up-keep (money, if not on a Crown Estate). It's all a matter of what Harry can afford or is willing to use his capital on. Also, why have a grand country home if one spends all one's time in London, and vice versa, why have a grand London home that stands idle most of the time because one is always at home in the country.

Fact is Apt 4B has been sitting idle for years and there are news articles going back to 2011 claiming that 4B us being kept free for Harry. It seems to me the decision was made long ago. Harry picked Apt 4B (maybe) but has not wanted to move in until he marries.

P.S. I would think, as well, that the woman Harry marries would have input into the future family's living arrangements.
4B is more opulent if it has 6 bedrooms, and 4a no one lives in it so I can see it being combined for him. Who knows Harry could have a country home if he wanted to.
  #828  
Old 10-23-2017, 04:08 PM
O-H Anglophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
One thing, I think, that we can pretty much count on as a given is that Harry and his family will have a London based residence and by all logistics, Kensington Palace seems to be the most logical place that it will be.

For all we know, once Charles does become King, Harry and his growing family may prefer Birkhall or they may prefer somewhere in Norfolk on the Sandringham estate or near to it. Then again, they just might opt out for a little grass shack somewhere in Africa to "escape" to every now and then.
Birkhall doesn't seem practical for children going to school. The areas around Norfolk, Gloucestershire or Windsor seem more viable.
I don't think there is a doubt that Harry will have a London home, how big seems to be the question. I agree KP seems logical.
4a could possibly work if he has a larger country home, 4a&b combined if he gets a small home to use on one of the Crown Estates or land privately owned by the monarch. We'll know eventually.
  #829  
Old 10-23-2017, 04:27 PM
Empress Merel's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 2,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I think the arguments are based on history and the fact that a country home requires up-keep (money, if not on a Crown Estate). It's all a matter of what Harry can afford or is willing to use his capital on. Also, why have a grand country home if one spends all one's time in London, and vice versa, why have a grand London home that stands idle most of the time because one is always at home in the country.

Fact is Apt 4B has been sitting idle for years and there are news articles going back to 2011 claiming that 4B us being kept free for Harry. It seems to me the decision was made long ago. Harry picked Apt 4B (maybe) but has not wanted to move in until he marries.

P.S. I would think, as well, that the woman Harry marries would have input into the future family's living arrangements.
But again, why does it have to a grand home? It could perfectly well be a small home with just the right amount of bedrooms for them and their future children. I never saw the use of having two reception rooms and the likes.
  #830  
Old 10-23-2017, 04:35 PM
Abbigail's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nashville, United States
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Realistically, due to time and ages H&M will probably only have 1 or 2 children even if she does a CP Victoria! So the need for a large space at KP may not be that great...the same for a country home. It could be rather modest in size as opposed to some great pile.


LaRae
Depends on what you mean by large space. I doubt they'd prefer a residence with less than 5 bedrooms, as I'm sure they would want a room or two available for guests. If Meghan's parents came to visit, for example, they would require two separate bedrooms. Add two children into the mix and 5 bedrooms seemingly become the minimum.
  #831  
Old 10-23-2017, 04:40 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 15,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
But again, why does it have to a grand home? It could perfectly well be a small home with just the right amount of bedrooms for them and their future children. I never saw the use of having two reception rooms and the likes.
This absolutely makes a whole lot of sense. From what I've observed is that the younger royals (Will and Kate for example) are more along the lines of "doing things themselves" rather than have a household filled with cooks and butlers and upstairs and downstairs maids and did lavish entertaining.

We've seen the Cambridges add a family type kitchen to their apartment 1A at KP where its easy to imagine Kate cooking dinner and the kids feeding Lupo morsels under the table. Harry and Meghan's relationship has been reported to being a lot of staying in and shopping for food at Waitrose and cooking for themselves at Nottingham Cottage. If both couples are having a London base for a residence (near schools and their office), they have Diana's old apartment to use as reception rooms and for their staff (such as the Obama visit was used).

If we think that William and Kate present a more "do it yourself" type of an environment, I can imagine that Harry and Meghan would very likely be the same and perhaps even more so. Neither couple seem to dote on opulence and lavish surroundings with oodles of noodles of "help". I think the grand old country piles and the Downton Abbey portrayal of the "Lady of the Manor" are fading into a rich but old traditional way of living when it comes to the up and coming young royals. Times have changed. Things cost far more these days to keep up than they used to and the times of the grand country piles with balls and country pursuits aren't at the level that they used to be.

Of course I could be wrong as I don't *know* these people or how they spend their private time but this is how it appears to be for me.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #832  
Old 10-23-2017, 04:41 PM
O-H Anglophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
But again, why does it have to a grand home? It could perfectly well be a small home with just the right amount of bedrooms for them and their future children. I never saw the use of having two reception rooms and the likes.
It also has to be viable for security-a perimeter area and lodging for RPOs. Things most people don't have to think about.
  #833  
Old 10-23-2017, 04:43 PM
Empress Merel's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 2,756
If it's on one of QE's estates, that might not cause too much of a problem?
  #834  
Old 10-23-2017, 04:45 PM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,152
You also have to house all the security people in a country house. Why do you think the Middletons moved to a larger house after William and Kate got married? The RPOs stay with the royals 24/7 when they aren't in a secured palace like KP.
  #835  
Old 10-23-2017, 05:26 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Burke, United States
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Birkhall doesn't seem practical for children going to school. The areas around Norfolk, Gloucestershire or Windsor seem more viable.
I don't think there is a doubt that Harry will have a London home, how big seems to be the question. I agree KP seems logical.
4a could possibly work if he has a larger country home, 4a&b combined if he gets a small home to use on one of the Crown Estates or land privately owned by the monarch. We'll know eventually.
Honestly why does it matter? He can have both a huge country home and london home in Kensington.
  #836  
Old 10-23-2017, 05:58 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
Depends on what you mean by large space. I doubt they'd prefer a residence with less than 5 bedrooms, as I'm sure they would want a room or two available for guests. If Meghan's parents came to visit, for example, they would require two separate bedrooms. Add two children into the mix and 5 bedrooms seemingly become the minimum.
Large space relatively speaking to that lifestyle. I would say 5/6 bedrooms would be consider small/average for someone in his/their position. Probably not the size of Amer Hall though..but then again they might want a big space for other reasons too.


LaRae
  #837  
Old 10-23-2017, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,191
I think they could have country home just not a massive estate, I'm not sure they would get a Gatcombe/Highgrove style estate but they could easily afford the upkeep of a 5-6 bedroom house with possibly even a small cottage or two in the grounds without having acres and acres to look after.They would have access to the royal estates after all.
  #838  
Old 10-23-2017, 06:47 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Burke, United States
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I think they could have country home just not a massive estate, I'm not sure they would get a Gatcombe/Highgrove style estate but they could easily afford the upkeep of a 5-6 bedroom house with possibly even a small cottage or two in the grounds without having acres and acres to look after.They would have access to the royal estates after all.
Did you ever think maybe Charles will give Harry a large country home? We do not know what will happen. But Apt 4a and 4b combined makes sense for london home.
  #839  
Old 10-23-2017, 07:10 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
Did you ever think maybe Charles will give Harry a large country home? We do not know what will happen. But Apt 4a and 4b combined makes sense for london home.
I figure Charles will assist Harry buying or refurbishing a country home.


LaRae
  #840  
Old 10-23-2017, 07:33 PM
O-H Anglophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
Honestly why does it matter? He can have both a huge country home and london home in Kensington.
Why do you feel so strongly that Harry should have a large London home and a huge country estate? He has money but most of it is tied up to provide him with an income, so I don't see him spending his own money on a large country estate to keep up. If it is about equality with William, in certain respects he will never be equal- William will be King one day.
I can see them with a country place similar to the Middletons' current home.
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
highgrove, prince harry, prince william, residences


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes abu dhabi anastasia 2020 armstrong-jones baptism biography british brownbitcoinqueen canada chittagong coronavirus countess of snowdon cover-up duke of sussex emperor fantasy movie gustaf vi adolf haakon vii heraldry hill history interesting introduction israel jack brooksbank jewelry jumma kent list of rulers luxembourg mailing maxima nepal nepalese royal family nobel 2019 norwegian royal family popularity prince charles prince constantijn prince daniel princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn princess dita princess elizabeth pronunciation queen consort queen maud queen maxima royal balls royal court royal events royal family royal jewels royal spouse royalty royal wedding russian court dress spain speech startling new evidence stuart swedish queen swedish royal family taiwan thailand tracts united kingdom visit from sweden von hofmannsthal wedding gown


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:48 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×