Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they get Apartment 1 at KP I suspect they will get a modest (by royal standards) country house.

They apparently have a cottage in Gloucestershire so they're already set with a country home. The Gloucesters get their flat at KP for the work they do representing the Queen but apart from that they've never had to rely on her for country homes like their Kent cousins.

I wonder how much this renovation is costing taxpayers. I’m assuming at least a couple of million by the looks of the pictures. Plus the interior will more than likely have to be done.

Last edited:
I wonder how much this renovation is costing taxpayers. I’m assuming at least a couple of million by the looks of the pictures. Plus the interior will more than likely need to be done.

I suspect the work carried out will be what is due to be carried out to the building in any case. The interiors and soft furnishings are usually paid for by the BRF themselves.

Even the element of the construction work funded by "the taxpayers" is from the Sovereign Grant. So there will actually be no incremental costs to the taxpayers for the renovation of a property for Prince Harry per se.

I suspect the work carried out will be what is due to be carried out to the building in any case. The interiors and soft furnishings are usually paid for by the BRF themselves.

Even the element of the construction work funded by "the taxpayers" is from the Sovereign Grant. So there will actually be no incremental costs to the taxpayers for the renovation of a property for Prince Harry per se.

Except the Sovereign Grant was used for Apt 1a as well and that didn’t stop people from saying ‘tax-payer’ money. There’s an entire thread dedicated to it.

A lot of people feigned ‘outrage’ over it in fact.

Except the Sovereign Grant was used for Apt 1a as well and that didn’t stop people from saying ‘tax-payer’ money. There’s an entire thread dedicated to it.

A lot of people feigned ‘outrage’ over it in fact.

A lot of people can say a lot of things. If one started to listen to them, nothing would ever get done. The feigned outrage can continue.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:Outrage seems silly to me.
If the Queen and all her family were to vanish, it would make no difference to the taxpayers.

They would not be richer by a single penny.
The money would just go on some expense accounts for politicians, without even any pageantry to show for it.

About Apartment 1. I thought I heard awhile ago that the roof had to be replaced or something? This was well before Harry and Meghan were even engaged. As for the quotes about Harry popping in to check on renovation, I'm pretty sure I read the same thing in Express last summer when it was reported that Harry is looking to move into another apartment. Bottom line, I'll believe it when I see it.

They apparently have a cottage in Gloucestershire so they're already set with a country home. The Gloucesters get their flat at KP for the work they do representing the Queen but apart from that they've never had to rely on her for country homes like their Kent cousins.

What cottage in Gloucestershire?

The Gloucesters have leased out their country estate in Northhamptonshire, Barnwell, since 1995 as they could not afford the upkeep. They have lived in London since 1972 and had to move the Duke's mother Princess Alice to London from Barnwell in 1995. I'm sure their financial situation has not changed.

The Gloucesters do rely in the home provided them for representing the Queen.

I wonder how much this renovation is costing taxpayers. I’m assuming at least a couple of million by the looks of the pictures. Plus the interior will more than likely have to be done.

The upkeep on a property has to be done at some point no matter who lives there or what offices go in--new windows, new heating and cooling systems, new pipes, new roof, removal of asbestos.etc--putting it off just increases the costs. More people would be outraged by KP falling down from disrepair.

Any new furnishings are not costing the taxpayers even indirectly.

Last edited:
The upkeep on a property has to be done at some point no matter who lives there or what offices go in--new windows, new heating and cooling systems, new pipes, new roof, removal of asbestos.etc--putting it off just increases the costs. More people would be outraged by KP falling down from disrepair.

Any new furnishings are not costing the taxpayers even indirectly.

I know that. Most people here at TRF know that. My comment was more a nod to selective faux outrage. Like I said Apt 1a has its own thread on ‘tax-payer’ funded renovations.

What cottage in Gloucestershire?

The Gloucesters have leased out their country estate in Northhamptonshire, Barnwell, since 1995 as they could not afford the upkeep. They have lived in London since 1972 and had to move the Duke's mother Princess Alice to London from Barnwell in 1995. I'm sure their financial situation has not changed.

The Gloucesters do rely in the home provided them for representing the Queen.

In my original comment I actually meant "they" as in H&M getting a modest country home. However, yes the Gloucester's still own Barnwell Manor though they lease it out (though I imagine it has more than just the one main house TBH, well for starters there is a historic castle in the garden) but one of the articles mentioning them leaving their KP apartment said as well as Barnwell they also have a smaller house in the Gloucestershire countryside.

Given the Gloucestershire's moved in after the death of the last Duke in 1974 I can't imagine its had a major refurbishment and maintenance all that recently. As regards to taxpayer money - well it is a public building just as we will soon be forking out billions to refurbish the Palace of Westminster for the MPs and Lords to enjoy because its a public building. The money is spent to keep a historic state building in good repair, as long as we aren't paying for their bedding and TVs I'm not too outraged.

HMQ is responsible for the upkeep of the private KP apartments thru the Sovereign Grant as allocated. So it is paid for by public money BUT not additional public money.

One personal thought re Gloucesters moving out and not needing a big space as they are empty nesters. I know quite a few couples who have downsized and every one of them have bought homes with enough rooms so that all the children can stay. So a small 1/2 bedroom place will not be big enough.
And if they do move out, say to SJP, they will require office space as it is currently within their KP home.

I still think that if anyone was going to retire and leave it would be D of Kent.

Gloucesters' ... but one of the articles mentioning them leaving their KP apartment said as well as Barnwell they also have a smaller house in the Gloucestershire countryside.

I think Harry & Meghan will get a large residence in London, probably at KP. The country house, I don't know-it depends on the plans/thinking for the future. Even when Charles becomes King, I don't envision W&K moving from KP or Anmer until William becomes King.

I've never read before that the Gloucesters own property in Gloucestershire--just Charles (or rather the Duchy of Cornwall) and Anne. Prince & Princess Michael used to own a country property (Nether Lypiatt Manor) in Gloucestershire but sold it years ago

I guess we never know what the "lesser" royals own really, they are so quiet and off the radar. When the Duke of Kent had a mild stroke I remember reading suddenly that he and the Duchess had a small house in the countryside somewhere that I'd never heard of before.

Thinking of a country home for Harry, wasn't there a property the PoW, probably through the Duchy, was renovating into quite a large country house that was said to be for William and Kate at one point?

I think the only way Harry will have a property either on the Sandringham estate or belonging to the Duchy Of Cornwall is for both Charles and William to sign off on it. The Duchy will be William’s in the next reign.

William having Anmer isn’t a big deal since the estate has always passed from monarch to monarch.

I guess we never know what the "lesser" royals own really, they are so quiet and off the radar. When the Duke of Kent had a mild stroke I remember reading suddenly that he and the Duchess had a small house in the countryside somewhere that I'd never heard of before.

Thinking of a country home for Harry, wasn't there a property the PoW, probably through the Duchy, was renovating into quite a large country house that was said to be for William and Kate at one point?

The Duchy of Cornwall owns a lot of property--maybe there is something suitable in its holdings in the countryside that could be leased to Harry & Meghan as a spot to get away from London.

Prince Edward, Duke of Kent | Unofficial Royalty

"The family lived at Coppins until 1972, when they moved to York House at St James’ Palace. They remained at York House until 1996, taking up residence at Wren House, on the grounds of Kensington Palace. They also own a country home, The Old Forge, in Brightwell Baldwin, Oxfordshire, which they purchased in 2002. Prior to that, they leased Anmer Hall (now the country home of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge) on the Queen’s Sandringham Estate from 1972-1990, and from 1989-1996 owned Crocker End House in Nettlebed, Oxfordshire."

Last edited:
I think the only way Harry will have a property either on the Sandringham estate or belonging to the Duchy Of Cornwall is for both Charles and William to sign off on it. The Duchy will be William’s in the next reign.

William having Anmer isn’t a big deal since the estate has always passed from monarch to monarch.

I fully expect Charles and William would sign off on it too. I do expect Harry to end up with something at Sandringham.

LaRae

I do wonder if Ms Markle will 'take' to Norfolk ? It has a distinctive atmosphere, is undeniably fairly remote, and lacking in any cosmopolitan atmosphere..

Personally I love its wildness and 'big skies', [having spent Summers on my aunts farm there as a child] but I know lots of City dwellers who can't abide the place...

The Cotswold's it ISN'T...

I do wonder if Ms Markle will 'take' to Norfolk ? It has a distinctive atmosphere, is undeniably fairly remote, and lacking in any cosmopolitan atmosphere..

Personally I love its wildness and 'big skies', [having spent Summers on my aunts farm there as a child] but I know lots of City dwellers who can't abide the place...

The Cotswold's it ISN'T...

It's kinda hard to know...we don't have any ideas about her feelings for being in country settings other than she likes to garden (which can be done in city apartments even)...I've not gotten the impression she is a city only person..she's not been out hitting all the stores and making the rounds in town. During the engagement they both stayed in and quite happy to do so from what it seems.

Will be interesting to see what they do about housing.

LaRae

Well, we know that she spent a fair amount of time in the Muskokas at her co-worker's cottage and spoke very positively about it.

The Central Ontario cottage country is fairly remote and wilderness-y (she says, having grown up spending summers scampering over the southern edge of the Canadian Shield).

I don't really see any indication that Meghan prefers the lights and hustle and bustle of city life. She seems to be the type of person that would make the most out of wherever it was that she lived. She camped with Harry, they went away to a secluded little cabin for the Northern Lights, they refer to Nott Cott as "our cottage" so I really don't think that Meghan would need something humongous and grand to be happy. Wherever Harry is would be home.

:previous: The 'cottage' works when they are a young childless couple. They may not need a massive estate, but they will need something reasonably large. If they have kids, and a nanny that comes with that, you are looking at least four bedrooms, more if they want guests.

As for the countryside we don't really know. There is a big difference between spending a week at a cottage or seeing the Northern lights, or living in the country side. They enjoyed a few days seeing the northern lights, not a sign they could see being that remote.

There is also many different types of 'nature' in the UK.The lake district might be more appealing then Norfolk. May shock us, and Scotland is more appealing. Depends on where they see themselves enjoying more time away. They may think since they will spend plenty of time at Sandringham at Christmas, and Balmoral when they want, they may want their own get away some where else.

Richard Palmer on his Twitter page having an interesting discussion with Marlene Koenig (writer/author on Royals) and others ref Harry's future home. He says the article on Apartment 1 is speculative and the story about the Gloucesters has been denied by KP, but then says that it is his understanding that Clarence House has been earmarked for Harry, presumably when Charles and Camilla go to BP.

All I know is that space will be needed when those babies start arriving. Nott-Cottage is just a small starter home.

The Gloucesters could move to a smaller house and give Harry and Meghan some space. I just think the couple would want to be where their official office is.

All I know is that space will be needed when those babies start arriving. Nott-Cottage is just a small starter home.

The Gloucesters could move to a smaller house and give Harry and Meghan some space. I just think the couple would want to be where their official office is.

I kinda expect them to be moved by the end of the year. I don't think they are going to wait 2 or 3 years to start having children...and no one wants to move while pregnant.

LaRae

Richard Palmer on his Twitter page having an interesting discussion with Marlene Koenig (writer/author on Royals) and others ref Harry's future home. He says the article on Apartment 1 is speculative and the story about the Gloucesters has been denied by KP, but then says that it is his understanding that Clarence House has been earmarked for Harry, presumably when Charles and Camilla go to BP.

From what I understand Clarence House would need some updates before a family with children moved into it. So....

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
I think whatever apartment Harry moves into that’ll be it. It makes zero sense to renovate KP and then in a few years or so move to CH

If anyone was going to move it’s the Cambridges but they are staying put in 1a even when William is heir.

It sounds like 1a is a very nice apartment...no reason for them to move either.

LaRae

This - arguably the most beautiful Manor House in the Cotswold's, and [incidentally] where Evelyn Waugh wrote 'Brideshead Revisited'.

8 bedroom house for sale in Stinchcombe, Dursley, Gloucestershire, GL11, GL11
This property is simply stunning!! Good find wyevale! This type (or this property) of property would be wonderful for Harry and Meghan. And IMO the updates to this house are just right, not to modern that it loses it's old world charm. I'd buy it, of course I'd have to win the lottery first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom