Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, H&M need a proper London home that can accommodate any family they may have before they acquire a country property.

It really comes down to where they plan to make their main home. If London will be their main base, then yes their London apartment needs to be first focus. But if they are like Andrew and Edward, and use their country home as their main home, then the cottage is fine for now.

Honestly I don't see them buying a house in the Cotswalds, or having one bought for them really, unless it will be their main home. If they have a large London base, I think a smaller property on a royal estate is more likely.

It really comes down to where they plan to make their main home. If London will be their main base, then yes their London apartment needs to be first focus. But if they are like Andrew and Edward, and use their country home as their main home, then the cottage is fine for now.

Honestly I don't see them buying a house in the Cotswalds, or having one bought for them really, unless it will be their main home. If they have a large London base, I think a smaller property on a royal estate is more likely.

Could not disagree that it is either a large London pad and no major country pile OR a proper place in the Home Counties as their main base and a pied-a-terre in London. That said, I think they will end up with a large London apartment at KP, and in time, a relatively smaller and unpretentious country home on one of the royal estates. It is even possible that in the next reign, they end up with Anmer once W&C take on Highgrove.

I hope they aren't 'landed' with the deeply GRIM 'York Cottage'.. Dark, poky and undistinguished, it [beyond its setting] has NOTHING to recommend it..

I hope they aren't 'landed' with the deeply GRIM 'York Cottage'.. Dark, poky and undistinguished, it [beyond its setting] has NOTHING to recommend it..

I agree, York Cottage does not come across as a light, bright and airy home for a young family!

William and Harry seem close so a house on Sandringham would seem a likely option, but as we are seeing there aren't that many options, though who knows there could be more houses on the estate than we know about.

Failing that I can see them having a large London home and a smaller house somewhere in the countryside, the Linley for example, have a small house on an aristocrats large estate, this could be an option for H&M.

With time and money York Cottage could be turned into whatever they want it to be. William and Kate did significant work to Anmer when they got it so it clearly was far from their ideal at the beginning. Gut the place at the very least and then Harry and Meghan can make it their dream home.

Equally sure there are bound to be other places for the estate workers and offices to be moved to. An estate that size must have any number of outbuildings. If there isn't they why not build some? It's not as if the Queen can't afford it. Charles has lots of experience in this regard.

There's no way this family have not spent time working out where Harry and his wife will live. This is a challenge which was entirely foreseeable.

In my view that was much like Amer ...hardly a warm fuzzy feeling to that one. However York is evidently in decent shape and could be renovated to suit them (if this is actually true) ..money really isn't going to be an issue.

I like the outside of it, the shape and color of the stone. No idea what the inside is like of course. It would be nice that it would be restored to a family home. I love it when people take old properties and re-make them while keeping some of the historic features.

LaRae

If York Cottage was considered good enough for King George V and his family then, with the right treatment, it's more than good enough for the 6th in line to the throne.

With time and money York Cottage could be turned into whatever they want it to be. William and Kate did significant work to Anmer when they got it so it clearly was far from their ideal at the beginning. Gut the place at the very least and then Harry and Meghan can make it their dream home.

Equally sure there are bound to be other places for the estate workers and offices to be moved to. An estate that size must have any number of outbuildings. If there isn't they why not build some? It's not as if the Queen can't afford it. Charles has lots of experience in this regard.

There's no way this family have not spent time working out where Harry and his wife will live. This is a challenge which was entirely foreseeable.
I agree. If this is the property that HM decides to gift the couple, then there is always the opportunity to remodel while still preserving some of the exterior details that make it a historic home.

I agree. If this is the property that HM decides to gift the couple, then there is always the opportunity to remodel while still preserving some of the exterior details that make it a historic home.

It would be the perfect time to give York Cottage the restoration and the renovation that would guarantee that the home remains in good shape into the future of the Sandringham estate. It wouldn't be done solely for Harry and Meghan but also for posterity.

We've heard of the renovations that have happened at Wood Farm where Philip is spending a lot of his time too. It just makes good sense to keep places that are on the estate in good working order. Upkeep is important.

I've been inside York Cottage and I assure you that NO amount of Money or 'knocking it about' could make its 'stygian gloom' any lighter.. the Windows are already 'plate glass', and because of its 'listed building' status [which preclude alterations to the external facades], they cannot be enlarged.
The Ceiling heights are low, the rooms are smallish, [and though in some places might be 'knocked through'], there are fireplaces and other items included in the 'listing' which must be retained, making it impossible to 'open it up' in the current fashion..
That it suited George V speaks VOLUMES...
I cannot really see Ms Markle appreciating it !

Last edited:
Well they do live in the equally small Nottingham Cottage now so maybe they'l see it as a home from home. ;-)

I'm going to take your word for this, wyevale, as you have been inside the place and from the photographs you have taken and posted here, I know you're pretty in tune with aesthetics of a place.

OK. York Cottage is out. :D

they do live in the equally small Nottingham Cottage now so maybe they'l see it as a home from home

'Squashed in and cosy' [as a 'courting' couple] is rather different to bringing up an expanding family, I think.. I know i'd want light and space for kids to grow up in...

From the outside, York Cottage looks like it has potentional with some extensive work and decorating. A shame the inside really is that gloomy.

Is there a list somewhere on all the potentional buildings on some of the Queen's estates that could be used? I've looked, but no luck.

From the outside, York Cottage looks like it has potentional with some extensive work and decorating. A shame the inside really is that gloomy.

Is there a list somewhere on all the potentional buildings on some of the Queen's estates that could be used? I've looked, but no luck.

Meghan has decided to move to the UK. land of squashy rooms in large draughty houses with iffy central heating. I am sure if York Cottage is offered, she'll take it and make something of it, just as she did with a nondescript Toronto Annex house.:flowers:

There are some 'holiday cottages' and that is about it. And while they look a bit 'quaint' on the outside, they look like any aspect of actual charm and character have been wiped out inside. I don't see them turning one of those back into a proper home. I guess they could try adding character back in, but it seems highly more likely to modernize an old house, over adding back.

The two guest cottages (used as holiday lets)

Garden house

https://www.sandringhamestate.co.uk/holiday-cottages-sandringham/garden-house/

Granary
https://www.sandringhamestate.co.uk/holiday-cottages-sandringham/granary/

Garden house at least has the charm outside, and some big airy windows. I guess they could do some work with it.

There's also Park House but that's been turned into a hotel for the disabled. I don't think they'd even consider that place. It is, however where Harry's grandparents and great grandparents lived and his mother grew up.

There's also Park House but that's been turned into a hotel for the disabled. I don't think they'd even consider that place. It is, however where Harry's grandparents and great grandparents lived and his mother grew up.

It has great history. And arguably would be great to see as a family home again. Especially with a Spencer grandson.

That said it seems unlikely. Its not the same as dislodging a renter like Amner, or making offices move as would with York. Park house has been an established charity hotel for over 30 years (was open in 1987).

This is the website for it

Park House Hotel - A hotel for disabled people in the beautiful Norfolk countryside

There is the same situation with some of the historical homes around Windsor castle as well I recall.

I've been inside York Cottage and I assure you that NO amount of Money or 'knocking it about' could make its 'stygian gloom' any lighter.. the Windows are already 'plate glass', and because of its 'listed building' status [which preclude alterations to the external facades], they cannot be enlarged.
The Ceiling heights are low, the rooms are smallish, [and though in some places might be 'knocked through'], there are fireplaces and other items included in the 'listing' which must be retained, making it impossible to 'open it up' in the current fashion..
That it suited George V speaks VOLUMES...
I cannot really see Ms Markle appreciating it !

It might have suited George V but from a biography on Queen Mary, it sure didn't suit her! But she didn't have any say in the matter, including the decor. GV and Queen Alexandra did the decorating before the wedding, to QA's taste.

It might have suited George V but from a biography on Queen Mary, it sure didn't suit her! But she didn't have any say in the matter, including the decor. GV and Queen Alexandra did the decorating before the wedding, to QA's taste.
One quote of Queen Mary's that I remember is "never live in a hutch..."

www.google.tt/amp/s/royalcircular.com/2018/04/29/royalweddingwatch-york-cottage-to-be-gifted-to-prince-harry-and-meghan-markle/amp/

There is growing speculation that the Queen may gift York Cottage to the newlyweds. I quite like this royal home,or at least the exterior of it. It seems more private than Amner and I like the lake nearby as well.

What do you guys think? If not York Cottage, then what else can be an option?

Go back to the previous page and you will see a discussion of York Cottage. :flowers:

The two posts below give the general tenor of the discussion.

I agree, York Cottage does not come across as a light, bright and airy home for a young family!

I thought if anyone would get York Cottage it would be Eugenie and Jack.

I thought if anyone would get York Cottage it would be Eugenie and Jack.

I doubt Eugenie and Jack are going to be gifted a country home by the queen. Even if the name is fitting. I don't see them moving far from London, for either of their jobs, nor needing the cost of a second home.

I doubt Eugenie and Jack are going to be gifted a country home by the queen. Even if the name is fitting. I don't see them moving far from London, for either of their jobs, nor needing the cost of a second home.
I agree. That they have been allowed to stay on KP is a present, IMO.

I agree. That they have been allowed to stay on KP is a present, IMO.

I thought it was reported they are paying market rent on the home? I thought the Cambridges and Harry are the only rent free occupants of KP.

I thought it was reported they are paying market rent on the home? I thought the Cambridges and Harry are the only rent free occupants of KP.

That is what has been reported, but who really knows who pays, and how much? ;)

If I understood it correctly, working royals (Cambridges, Harry, Gloucesters, Duke of Kent) don’t pay rent at KP, other royals living there pay market rent (Prince Michael, Eugenie).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom