Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Marg there's more than one of us hoping for Frogmore!

LaRae

She could lease it to them though. She's done it with some of the other family for various places.

LaRae

How many rooms does Apt 1 have? I read that 1A has 50 rooms and 1 has 20 rooms

According to most sources, 1 has either 20 or 21 rooms (All the Royals Who Live at Kensington Palace – Royal Central) and 1a has either 20, 21 or 22 rooms, depending on the source.

(Worth noting that the Earl of Snowdon addressed the "50 rooms" claim, pointing out that there were a large number of small "rooms" counted in that, such as a linen store, a luggage room, a drying room, and a glass pantry.)

Google maps allows you to measure the dimensions of buildings. Measuring the two apartments, and based on pictures that show us how many floors there are:

A1a has 4 stories (1 basement, 1 attic, 2 main) that are ~5952 sq ft each. (~23800 sq ft)
A1 has 4 stories (1 basement, 1 attic, 2 main) that are ~3417 square foot each, plus a two story (possibly with basement) addition that is ~1880 sq ft/story (~17400 sq ft)

She could lease it to them though. She's done it with some of the other family for various places.

LaRae

Various other examples of leases are Andrew and Royal Lodge and Edward with Bagshot Park. The Queen wouldn't be the one leasing Frogmore to Harry and Meghan either. Frogmore, like Royal Lodge and Bagshot Park are owned and managed by the Crown Estates. All are within the vicinity of Windsor Castle.

Last edited:
I have to be honest and say that Frogmore would be a dream come true, however, I am a realist and there are other properties around Windsor. I just don't find the idea of the two young married couples almost living in each other's pocket.

:previous: I agree, MARG. :flowers: Being so close could put a strain on a relationship that is amiable now at the beginning but may suffer in the clinches with 'living in each other's pockets' as you say. Especially given that William and Kate and now Meghan are all rumored to be type-A personalities who have their own opinions about things. ;) Best to have a moat/distance around each home/castle. ;) ?

Is it awful to hope their permanent home is around Windsor and that KP becomes 's their pied-à-terre? While William and Harry work together on their foundation I think the idea of the two couples living that close would have a negative effect on both couples.

William and Catherine are well established in every way, whereas Harry and Meghan have a whole new life to begin. Doing it on their own is a much better idea than having input from close family. Lines get crossed that shouldn't.

Harry and Meghan really do need for their marriage to be and grow "organically", and to create a life that is uniquely their own.

I really like the look of Frogmore from the outside, but I am wondering if it can be made into anything agreeable for an American sensibility given it's historic interior, which likely cannot be re-worked much. :huh:

Last edited:
Frogmore is such a historical building, and often used for events. There are other homes that would likely serve them better, that the queen could lease them. Or renovate for them as was done for William and Kate, on Sandringham or Balmoral.

I am mixed feelings. Either they have a large London base and perhaps given a small second home on one of the estates, by the queen which they use odd weekends. Or they lease a property as their main home from the crown, and have a smaller London base. Go back and forth on which way think will go.

I think them having a secondary home, even a small one, outside of London is likely even more important for these two then the Cambridges. One day the Cambridges will have Sandringham and Balmoral. While Harry and Meghan will go as visitors, especially when dad is alive, will be key to them having their own space as well.

I guess if they don't have a permanent base while Charles is alive, outside London, he could always leave them Birkhall, since William will have Balmoral. But that is decades from now.

How many rooms does Apt 1 have? I read that 1A has 50 rooms and 1 has 20 rooms

Apt 1 and 1A are basically the same size. 21 rooms.

The Gloucesters are in their 70s. I don't think they would have issue moving out but I can see Harry and Meghan not wanting to do that to them. Though personally I don't see why they need all that space as it is just the two of them. Makes more sense for the younger working royals with the potentially growing family to be there. But who knows.

I agree that they won't be in Nott Cott very long.

I think they will be out of Nott Cott within 6 months to a year at most.

LaRae

Apt 1 and 1A are basically the same size. 21 rooms.

The Gloucesters are in their 70s. I don't think they would have issue moving out but I can see Harry and Meghan not wanting to do that to them. Though personally I don't see why they need all that space as it is just the two of them. Makes more sense for the younger working royals with the potentially growing family to be there. But who knows.

I agree that they won't be in Nott Cott very long.

By that logic shouldn't the Kent's move out of Wren House instead? They're in their 80s, and will very likely pass away before the Gloucesters especially when you take into account how long Richard's mother lived. Also both Gloucesters are still working royals, unlike Katherine who has retired and Edward who will likely retire in the somewhat near future. Also the Gloucesters have been living in Apt 1 since 1972, where the Kents have only been living in Wren House since 1996 , so they likely have less sentimental value to the place, they raised their family elsewhere.

Personally, I very, very, very much doubt The Queen will displace either of her cousins, but I think your argument would be stronger with the Kents.

I don't think any of them leaving their homes. Harry and Meghan will stay in Nott Cott for now and plan to go somewhere empty down the road. The plans probably been in place for awhile now.

Frogmore is such a historical building, and often used for events. There are other homes that would likely serve them better, that the queen could lease them. Or renovate for them as was done for William and Kate, on Sandringham or Balmoral.

I can't see them moving to Scotland unless I am missing something. :ermm: Do Harry and Meghan have an especial fondness for Scotland, to the point that they'd want to raise their family there?

I am mixed feelings. Either they have a large London base and perhaps given a small second home on one of the estates, by the queen which they use odd weekends. Or they lease a property as their main home from the crown, and have a smaller London base. Go back and forth on which way think will go.

Pretty much the two possibilities. Would love to have an announcement as to their country home at some point. ;) But maybe the wedding is enough right now.

I think them having a secondary home, even a small one, outside of London is likely even more important for these two than the Cambridges. One day the Cambridges will have Sandringham and Balmoral. While Harry and Meghan will go as visitors, especially when dad is alive, will be key to them having their own space as well.

I guess if they don't have a permanent base while Charles is alive, outside London, he could always leave them Birkhall, since William will have Balmoral. But that is decades from now.

Good points. :flowers: They need a country home of their own, I think. :flowers: (Plus I think they will have a home abroad somewhere, too. Just a hunch).

I can't see them moving to Scotland unless I am missing something. :ermm: Do Harry and Meghan have an especial fondness for Scotland, to the point that they'd want to raise their family there?

I don't remember any fondness for Scotland, either. In fact, when they had their Scotland visit about six weeks ago, they said it was Meghan's first time in Scotland. On the other hand they've talked about having a fondness for the Windsor area when discussing why St. George's was chosen as a wedding venue. So I could see them having a home in that area like Andrew and Edward.

At no time did I suggest that they have a fondness for Scotland or would move there.

I simply said that a small property on one of the queen's estates would be a plausible plan, if they had a second home. And there are 2 options, Sandringham or Balmoral. I mentioned Birkhall, being one Charles could leave Harry when he dies, because unlike High grove, he owns it (inherited it from his grandmother).

Not suggesting that they would 'move' to Scotland or even Sandringham. But have a country home. If their main base is in London, where they spend the majority of their time, they will have a larger apartment there. Unlike the Cambridges, they aren't likely to also have a large country home. One or the other. Having a small home given to their use, on one of the properties owned by the queen, would make sense, over buying or even leasing a home.

Now if they choose to have a small apartment in the city and a larger home in the country, Windsor seems the most likely. Not only because it is close to London for work, and good schools when they have kids one day, but also because they do seem quite fond of it.

I don't think any of them leaving their homes. Harry and Meghan will stay in Nott Cott for now and plan to go somewhere empty down the road. The plans probably been in place for awhile now.

Agree :flowers: There are apartments free both at Kensington and St James. Or if they choose to be like Edward, Andrew and Anne, and have their main home in the country, they could also have a smaller apartment. There is no need for them to be right next to their offices at Kensington.

The apartment 4b that is empty is actually said to be extremely fancy and well done. That people like Diana were jealous of some of the wood work and opulence in the apartment. The apartment next to it seems to also be empty if they need more space to extend into.

What do people suggest they do with the Gloucesters? I see people saying they would be willing to get out, but where? They don't own a house. That has been their home for over 40 years in London, and sold their out of London home years ago.

Last edited:
What do people suggest they do with the Gloucesters? I see people saying they would be willing to get out, but where? They don't own a house. That has been their home for over 40 years in London, and sold their out of London home years ago.

I know, some are fixated on Apt 1. :lol: I personally don't see them vacating until they leave the mortal plane. I think some (reporters and watchers) desperately want H&M living there so they can be right next-door to the Cambridges and then they can imagine some bosom-buddies storylines. It would make for a nice televised sitcom set in a castle, but in real life the Gloucesters exist and neither brother seems to need to be joined at the hip with the other.

I don't think it has anything to do with the Cambridges. At least for me it didn't. I don't think those four are nearly as close as the press would like to portray to be honest. I just think the home is the size for a new and likely quickly growing couple. It also was suggested and I think has just stuck but as said, I don't see them leaving until they are buried. Honestly I rather they not close to the Cambridges. So Apt 1 not being available is fine with me.

According to most sources, 1 has either 20 or 21 rooms (All the Royals Who Live at Kensington Palace – Royal Central) and 1a has either 20, 21 or 22 rooms, depending on the source.

(Worth noting that the Earl of Snowdon addressed the "50 rooms" claim, pointing out that there were a large number of small "rooms" counted in that, such as a linen store, a luggage room, a drying room, and a glass pantry.)

Google maps allows you to measure the dimensions of buildings. Measuring the two apartments, and based on pictures that show us how many floors there are:

A1a has 4 stories (1 basement, 1 attic, 2 main) that are ~5952 sq ft each. (~23800 sq ft)
A1 has 4 stories (1 basement, 1 attic, 2 main) that are ~3417 square foot each, plus a two story (possibly with basement) addition that is ~1880 sq ft/story (~17400 sq ft)
Thank you very informative. Maybe Harry will get that Apt.

Oh! I like the looks of York Cottage even better than Anmer Hall.

I think this is a plausible future home for Harry and Meghan especially if they do want a country home not far from William and Kate.

We'll see what happens. :D

Oh that is pretty!! What do we know about York Cottage (what a cottage!)? Is it currently in use by someone ..is it in livable condition etc?

LaRae

Currently it houses the Sandringham Estate offices and some holiday accommodation and flats for estate employees.

If it was to be given to Harry then they will need to convert it back into a single house and rehouse the people who currently live there as well as find somewhere else for the estate office staff to work and have their records.

It would need major work. It is currently used mainly as an estate office for Sandringham. But there is also holiday/staff accommodation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_Cottage

But Amner was being rented out when given to William, so guess not out of question, they could move out who is there.

While the rental accommodation may not be a worry, they would need to consider office space. Probably could easily convert some out building for that if needed.

If they wanted a home at Sandringham, it really is the only option other then building new. Wood farm is the only other property and is currently used by Philip. Appleton was demolished years ago. There are other 'guest houses' rented out for holiday accommodation. I guess maybe one could be turned into offices, if they don't mind losing that income.

Last edited:
So...is that likely to happen? I said last year I thought Harry would end up at Sandringham close to William/Kate but no one really knew about housing or what was an option....is York Cottage really an option?

LaRae

So...is that likely to happen? I said last year I thought Harry would end up at Sandringham close to William/Kate but no one really knew about housing or what was an option....is York Cottage really an option?

LaRae

Well Amner was not really an option, as it was under lease. But it was given to William.

That said its not such a simple matter as Amner, and ending a lease. There are a lot offices and such to move. And then renovation to turn back into a house.

That said, they might look at it as a positive to preserve the history of it.

Unfortunately there really isn't that many options for homes there.

I would be so disappointed if they didn't settle in the Cotswolds! :huh: Or around Windsor. York 'Cottage' :rolleyes: does not look cozy to me. I don't get a warm fuzzy looking at it. ;)

But I have wondered if house hunting is what Meghan and Harry are now doing. :flowers: It seems to me that they would want the country home situation settled before they marry, especially as it looks like family will come along pretty fast for them. A country home needs to be settled soon I would think. JMO of course.

:previous: Problem with the Cotswalds or something not on a royal estate, is who pays for it?? Harry has to live off the interest of his trust funds, he cant be buying a huge manor. I guess we can hope his dad or Grandma buys one for him.

IMO, H&M need a proper London home that can accommodate any family they may have before they acquire a country property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom