Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wood farm would be a good idea, but yes it seems it wont be free until the queen dies. I guess they could put off having a country home until then if London is their main base. But likely will want something sooner.

Why does leasing from the Crown Estate impact security costs? It does not. Security still has to be provided separately. It is not like the property is within the precincts of the Windsor estate, and is already protected.

Bagshot is on the grounds of Windsor park which is indeed secured (the whole Andrew trying to crash through the gates). Yes, there would be added security for the house itself, but much less cost then if they were to have a house out in the middle of no where and have to put in all new security and man it.

They also cut costs by renting out the stable blocks. They pay something like 10,000 pounds in rent.

That is only a part of the story. A substantial sum was paid for the lease (by either Andrew, or the Queen, or Trusts associated with either of them) to the Crown Estate, when Andrew took it over. It was not as much as would have been due if the the landlord, ie the Crown Estate, was responsible for the repairs, but just the cost of the repairs that Andrew was due to bear was not enough to cover the lease rental for 75 years.

Its a lease. There is meant to be a substantial annual payment made every year for 75 years. Not one lump sum. What they did was, they credited him for the money that he or his mother put into the repairs. It covered the first 25 years worth of lease payments. If he breaks the lease during those 25 years, he gets compensated for a percentage of the money he invested. If he or his daughters remain after 25 years, then they will have to make the yearly payments. This is the arrangement Edward and Sophie have, they pay a lease amount every year, reducing theirs by renting out outer properties.

Last edited:
Bagshot Park is a 20 minute drive from Windsor Castle. I remember reading somewhere once that Bagshot was indeed protected separately from Windsor and that it took alot of money and personnel to do so, I think the issue was raised because the police force charged with providing the security wanted to "contract out" the security as it would be cheaper.
Royal Lodge is within Windsor Great Park is possibly easier to protect, it is also only accessible from Crown land as I understand whereas Bagshot is located off a main, public road.

Its a lease. There is meant to be a substantial annual payment made every year for 75 years. Not one lump sum. What they did was, they credited him for the money that he or his mother put into the repairs. It covered the first 25 years worth of lease payments. If he breaks the lease during those 25 years, he gets compensated for a percentage of the money he invested. If he or his daughters remain after 25 years, then they will have to make the yearly payments.

Andrew's deal was quite clear - he has paid the lease up front for the entire 25 years - at 1 million pounds.

They waived an addition 2.5 million pounds as he agreed to the over 7 million pounds in renovations to be funded by himself.

If he opts out of the lease in the first 25 years then he will be compensated a percentage of the 7 million he paid for the renovations - decreasing annually over those 25 years.

If he, or the girls, opt out after the first 25 years there is no compensation but they pay nothing now or until the end of the lease. There is no year by year payment.

It works out at 250 pounds a week over the 75 years and that is signed and sealed as the deal.

None of us really know or have a clue what is going to happen. Harry may even end up getting disgusted with life, join a commune in the High Nevada desert with Meghan and they'll marry on the way there by an Elvis impersonator in Las Vegas and honeymoon at a Native American sweat lodge and spend their nights chanting Kumbaya.

Well, Harry already owns a pair of blue suede shoes. This plan may have been in the works for awhile. ;)

http://l450v.alamy.com/450v/k0yma4/...g-a-pair-of-blue-suede-shoes-shows-k0yma4.jpg

Last edited:
Its a lease. There is meant to be a substantial annual payment made every year for 75 years. Not one lump sum. What they did was, they credited him for the money that he or his mother put into the repairs. It covered the first 25 years worth of lease payments. If he breaks the lease during those 25 years, he gets compensated for a percentage of the money he invested. If he or his daughters remain after 25 years, then they will have to make the yearly payments. This is the arrangement Edward and Sophie have, they pay a lease amount every year, reducing theirs by renting out outer properties.

Its a lease all right, but as Andrew probably did not want large annual / monthly outgoings, he paid a large lump sump upfront to cover the bulk of the lease rentals due.

Bagshot is on the grounds of Windsor park which is indeed secured (the whole Andrew trying to crash through the gates). Yes, there would be added security for the house itself, but much less cost then if they were to have a house out in the middle of no where and have to put in all new security and man it.

Where did you get that from? There are substantial costs for securing the house, which would need to be incurred if the property was in Windsor Great Park or Surbiton!

Someday perhaps Prince Harry and Meghan could take over Clarence House, Prince Charles' current residence. If he follows tradition, as King he'll move to Buckingham Palace. In the interim, there's a castle--and I'm drawing a complete blank on its name--the Queen let King Hussein and the Jordanian Royal Family use and that may be a possibility as King Abdullah and Queen Rania have another residence in London.

Castlewood House

I looked up British Royal residences and found the home the Queen had once leased to King Hussein. It's called Castlewood House and is in Surrey. Castlewood was also used by Prince Andrew and his family while their home, Sunninghill Park, was being built. I couldn't find much more information on it including who, if anyone, currently lives there.

Someday perhaps Prince Harry and Meghan could take over Clarence House, Prince Charles' current residence. If he follows tradition, as King he'll move to Buckingham Palace. In the interim, there's a castle--and I'm drawing a complete blank on its name--the Queen let King Hussein and the Jordanian Royal Family use and that may be a possibility as King Abdullah and Queen Rania have another residence in London.

Castle that she loaned them :ermm:

The only homes I am aware of Hussein used in the UK, were owned. Buckhurst manor which is on Windsor estate (was up for sale, not sure if sold) and a home in London. He sold a home called Palace green back in the 90's (hadn't been used since the 1980s) but Noor lives in one in knightsbridge. Abdullah uses a different home, because the British homes of his father are still the residence of his stepmother.

While Clarence house is possible, its unlikely. It will be some years before Charles moves and Harry will need a London base before that. Its not likely they will renovate an apartment for him now, just to have him move. If they wish for a larger second home, it would be in the country.

I looked up British Royal residences and found the home the Queen had once leased to King Hussein. It's called Castlewood House and is in Surrey. Castlewood was also used by Prince Andrew and his family while their home, Sunninghill Park, was being built. I couldn't find much more information on it including who, if anyone, currently lives there.

From real estate listings, it seems Castle wood was sold as of 2009, not sure if the royals even owned it then.

Last edited:
I've looked Castlewood House up too, and it's FAR from pretty.. I hope we can do better than that !

I've looked Castlewood House up too, and it's FAR from pretty.. I hope we can do better than that !

Hmmm. That's too bad. For security reasons, KH and QN never let photos be taken of it when they lived there so I never knew what it looked like.

I think an apartment at Kensington Palace or St James' Palace is the most likely options. I can imagine that Harry would want a country house outside London too but they would still need a London-base.

If that's true...lovely home!

LaRae

I think for the time being Harry and Meghan will be happy to live in their cottage in Kensington as it seems they have spent a lot of time there living a cosy life.

Eventually they may indeed want a home in the country too, but seeing how the couple are together it's going to have to be very much a "their" place with the location needing to have some meaning to them.

I’m sure they’ll stay at KP for their London base but as far as a country home, what were the places around Windsor that were mentioned? They mentioned Windsor being special to them when they announced the venue.

Windsor isn't really countryside, though I'm sure Harry took Meghan to stay at Windsor Castle and to look at Eton (from the outside.) It's quite near London actually, and if Harry/Meghan really wanted a rural retreat, not really suitable.

Well I mean if one had to settle for an estate I suppose Frogmore would do ....

LOL

LaRae

Is Fort Belvedere still owned by the BRF?

ETA: Yep and currently leased out.

LaRae

Wouldn't it be lovely if they were offered Osborne? Sadly that's no longer possible as it's not a part of the Crown Estate anymore I believe. But one can dream.

Fort Belvedere should have a royal resident again but the comparisons between Meghan and Wallis are probably best avoided!

I know...that's why I didn't pick Windsor (although I think it would be wonderful for the title to be in use) as a option.

Osborne is an English Heritage property (or however they are called)

Mey Castle (lovely place )is now a B&B I think. ...

LaRae

I always found it strange the way that Osborne was so quickly dropped after Victoria's death. I know that Edward VII was never fond of it but it's a very beautiful place nonetheless.

I think Frogmore would be perfect for the couple - though the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh would have to find a new home for their possessions being stored there from the Royal Yacht!

Frogmore might not be rural enough...and it looks like a rather big place to have to deal with.

LaRae

Frogmore ... that might be a Grade I-listed headache. I think they would be limited to living on the upper floors.

Galen Weston is firmly ensconced at Fort Belvedere and has done many improvements there. He's also very involved in the local polo scene around there and stables horses in a neighboring area.

Adelaide Cottage would be lovely. I think a retired member of HM's household is there, not sure.

Garden House is, IMO, too difficult to secure, given its location so near a public road. Forest Lodge, which isn't too far from the Garden House, has undergone structural improvements and might be a candidate. Securing it wouldn't be too hard and it's of a pedigree and size befitting an eventual King's second son. It was briefly considered for Fergie when she was looking for accommodation, but it didn't work out.

edit: Scratch Adelaide Cottage. I forgot about its very close proximity to a big road.

Last edited:
I read somewhere yesterday in reference to Harry and Meghan (I think on Twitter) that the "Pride and Prejudice" house had gone off the market so they possibly could have bought that. It was just speculation, but what house would this tweet have been referring to? Also, is there anyplace to go online and look at possible houses they could buy? We are already planning her dress and tiara, so I say let's plan their house purchase too. :lol:

That would be Luckington Court in the Cotswolds. If they have purchased it, it would need a fair amount spent on it from the photographs I have seen of the interiors. It’s very dated and has been vacant for a while I believe.

It doesn't make sense to me that they would have been buying a property already tbh. Not when they're still with only the two of them. The cottage on the grounds of Kensington Palace will do just fine for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom