Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if there's a betting pool on whom that could be??? <G>

LaRae

That lease may not be transferrable to his girls. However, Andrew is going anywhere soon so it's not a solution for Harry in the near term future.

I remember reading somewhere ... Brian Hoey, I think, that the lease is for Andrew AND his children and it is for 75 years. He pays peanuts because he paid for the multi-million pound renovation. He took over the place, mind, when his children were still minors so I think it was just good parental planning in case anything happened to him while they were young.

When Andrew moves on, I just don't see the princesses, either one or both, married or unmarried, staying there. They will have death duties, and the expense of running that huge home, and securing it, might well be beyond the means of B & E and any husbands they choose. Royal Lodge has massive police protection, as Andrew is entitled to it. His daughters do not receive it anymore unless they are participating in a royal event like the Trooping, so the Royal Lodge police presence will be looked at quite carefully. Ideally, a full-time Royal who gets full-time police protection would be the most sensible kind of tenant. The large household staff that includes butler, housekeeper, maids, more than one chef, etc. is also expensive and paid for by Andrew.

I think that when ... time moves on and the Yorks are faced with all of the circumstances surrounding Royal Lodge, namely the cost of running it and their own financial resources, they might opt to sell their remaining lease back to The Crown Estate. Then, the ideal tenant will be Harry, or a widowed consort. There's really no one else. It has to be a senior royal who justifies the protection and has the means to run the place. The only other option is renting it to someone like Galen Weston.

There will be no death duties on Royal Lodge because it doesn't belong to Andrew but to the Crown Estate. There won't be any need for security above and beyond what the girls can afford - and they will be quite wealthy in their own right given that they have at least four trust funds - or sources of money into the one trust fund - The Queen established a fund for each grandchild at birth and has added to it throughout their lives at major events. Money was put into their trust funds at the time of Andrew and Sarah's divorce - most of Sarah's divorce settlement actually went into the girls trust funds. The Queen Mother left a large trust fund to be divided between the great-grandchildren born at the time of her death (I have read both including and excluding William and Harry so who knows the truth on that - and I don't need links to online articles as I have seen those and don't trust most of them anyway) - figure is usually around 2 - 3 million each. Andrew also established a trust fund for his daughters when they were born. Now it may be that they have used all that money but I suspect that they have merged them into one fund and live very comfortably on the income the fund generates.

Sure they won't need the staff - but then again with possible two households living there maybe the will.

Also, the property consists of a "gardener's cottage, chapel lodge, 6 lodge cottages and police accommodation" according the NAO report. I imagine currently many of these are let out to staff on favourable terms but if they wanted B and or Eugenie could lent these out on a more commercial basis and bring in some extra income to pay for the upkeep of the house.

Personally I'm having difficulty seeing Beatrice of Eugenie staying in the house after Andrew is gone as its so big and I'm not sure how they would decide who gets it. That said, they are all extremely close so I can imagine both of them living there somehow.

There are probably a lot of houses on the Windsor estate that we don't really know about so I'm sure they may be one for Harry if that's where he or the Sovereign of the time wants him to live.

I find this article hard to believe.

It could be years before Charles is King. Would Nottingham Cottage accommodate Harry and Meghan and any children they may have comfortably while waiting?

Accordingly, there are obviously changes in the air. I'm Looking forward to hearing others thoughts on this, and the validity of the claim.

I find this article hard to believe.

It could be years before Charles is King. Would Nottingham Cottage accommodate Harry and Meghan and any children they may have comfortably while waiting?

Accordingly, there are obviously changes in the air. I'm Looking forward to hearing others thoughts on this, and the validity of the claim.

Nottingham Cottage is okay for Harry and Meghan. It's not a home for starting a family though.

I think Harry will get a country home and his own home at Kensington Palace, but I think somebody may end up moving. Perhaps the Gloucesters.

Last edited:
Nottingham Cottage is okay for Harry and Meghan. It's not a home for starting a family though.

I think Harry will get a country home and his own home at Kensington Palace, but I think somebody may end up moving. Perhaps the Gloucesters.

I think he's going to have a place on the same estate where William's house is...and then they'll (Harry and his wife) have their home at KP too.

LaRae

I don't see the Gloucesters being kicked out of their home. Unless Barnwell manor is no longer being leased and they move home. But I highly doubt that will happen until the couple retire from royal duties. They have served the queen for many decades, I don't see her rewarding them by kicking them to the curb. There are other apartments to be had or reworked. The Kents are even less likely considering they no longer have a private home.

Nottingham cottage could work for a few years. The building of new offices underground is opening up space in the palace. It seems far more likely Harry and Meghan be given an apartment, and a home on one of the estates.

Anne, Andrew and Edward were not giving London Apartments along with Country homes. Why would Harry be different?

Anne, Andrew and Edward were not giving London Apartments along with Country homes. Why would Harry be different?

All their apartments are at Buckingham Palace. The Queen bought Gatecombe for Anne, the Crown Estate leased Bagshot to Edward and the Crown Estate purchased the land for Sunninghill Park, on The Queen's behalf, for Andrew.

An estate or land will be made available for Harry.

Last edited:

Yes, I very much doubt Harry will be given two grand homes. But he would probably be given one grand, and one small (relatively speaking).

So he'll either follow his aunt and uncles footsteps and have a grand home in the counties and a small apartment at BP/SJP, or he'll do the opposite, and have a large fancy apartment at KP and maybe a 'small' 3/4 bedroom cottage on one of the royal estates. Or maybe he'd opt for place in Africa as his second house, and will continue to spend a couple months every summer in Africa.

It will be interesting how it plays out.

Nottingham Cottage is more of a bachelor pad than a family home though. Harry won't be there for long, I don't think.

They all do have a London apartment and a country home. Do they have a massive London home like the Cambridges or Charles? No. But they have apartments at Buckingham palace. And they all have a country estate that is their main home. A similar situation is quite likely for Harry.

I can't see Clarence House being an option. However, a three or four bedroom country cottage for a couple who may end up with two children or more and probably a need for RPO accommodation for several years seems a bit snug to say the least.

There are two main differences between housing for the Queen's children and housing for Charles's son. The Queen had three children to buy land for and lease and help build property.

Charles has only one son to help house. William is already fixed up. Charles has had the benefit of Duchy money for decades. The Queen did not.

We don't know what plans Charles has for Highgrove for instance. It's surplus to William's needs and to Charles as King. And before anyone says Highgrove is in the possession of the Duchy of Cornwall, I know.

That wouldnt prevent Charles from buying it for his son or pushing for Harry to have it on a 99 year lease if he wishes. That depends on whether Harry wants Highgrove of course, if it was offered. It's more likely he would want somewhere near Sandringham. That may not mean a small cottage, however.

Everyone points to the Queen's children having this and that. Margaret was in a special position as her mother was still alive, Lord Snowden had a country place and Margaret was an urbanite anyway, plus had Lord Glenconner's wedding present of land on Mustique. George V's sons had London houses and country places that weren't cottages.

Because Charles has only Harry to help accommodate, everything is up in the air as regards Harry's homes, IMO.

I can't see Clarence House being an option. However, a three or four bedroom country cottage for a couple who may end up with two children or more and probably a need for RPO accommodation for several years seems a bit snug to say the least.

There are two main differences between housing for the Queen's children and housing for Charles's son. The Queen had three children to buy land for and lease and help build property.

Charles has only one son to help house. William is already fixed up. Charles has had the benefit of Duchy money for decades. The Queen did not.

We don't know what plans Charles has for Highgrove for instance. It's surplus to William's needs and to Charles as King. And before anyone says Highgrove is in the possession of the Duchy of Cornwall, I know.

That wouldnt prevent Charles from buying it for his son or pushing for Harry to have it on a 99 year lease if he wishes. That depends on whether Harry wants Highgrove of course, if it was offered. It's more likely he would want somewhere near Sandringham. That may not mean a small cottage, however.

Everyone points to the Queen's children having this and that. Margaret was in a special position as her mother was still alive, Lord Snowden had a country place and Margaret was an urbanite anyway, plus had Lord Glenconner's wedding present of land on Mustique. George V's sons had London houses and country places that weren't cottages.

Because Charles has only Harry to help accommodate, everything is up in the air as regards Harry's homes, IMO.

Highgrove won't be surplus to Willam's needs as heir. He'll need close access to his duchy just like Charles currently does. You could argue Amner will become surplus to William's needs as heir once he has Highgrove and presumably Birkhall, I'll be more interested to see if William juggles four residences like King Charles or if they lease out Amner again.

Highgrove won't be surplus to Willam's needs as heir. He'll need close access to his duchy just like Charles currently does. You could argue Amner will become surplus to William's needs as heir once he has Highgrove and presumably Birkhall, I'll be more interested to see if William juggles four residences like King Charles or if they lease out Amner again.

I don't think Highgrove gives close access to Cornwall. Highgrove is in Gloucestershire nearly 200 miles from Cornwall. Granted it is a lot closer than Anmer.

:previous: When his father is king, William will likely continue to use Amner. And quite possibly Birkhall. His father will have full reign of Balmoral. But when William is king, yes I think Amner will stand vacant as it has in past, or be rented as it has been before. It may be used by George or Charlotte as adults. But when he is king, William wont be living in Amner.

Highgrove is not in Cornwall, it is in Gloucestershire. It is much closer to Wales then to Cornwall, whether it is owned by the duchy or not. Charles has homes in his two main areas, Wales (LLwynmerwod) and Cornwall (Tamarisk). Tamarisk is located on the isles of Scilly, off the coast of Cornwall.

Why couldn't Harry use his childhood home at KP?
The same apartments Diana had?

Then he could also have a place in the country, perhaps in Norfolk near William and all their friends.

I don't think Highgrove gives close access to Cornwall. Highgrove is in Gloucestershire nearly 200 miles from Cornwall. Granted it is a lot closer than Anmer.

I was talking more about all the land the duchy owns and manages, Highgrove will give William a much closer base to the 'action'.

Maybe Charles will stay on at Highgrove? Why would he have to move even if it's on Cornwall land or not? There's no law that says he has to do anything exactly his parents way.

The Duchy owns land all over the place, including London and in other counties like Kent.

I was talking more about all the land the duchy owns and manages, Highgrove will give William a much closer base to the 'action'.

The duchy owns land in 23 counties. Unless William is going to have a home in 23 counties, he will do as his father has in the past. Charles doesn't live at High Grove to be close to land of his duchy, but as his private home base. Amner is that for William. Highgrove gives them a base for a tiny percent of what the duchy owns.

Duchy owns land in a variety of places but by far it's largest holdings are in Devon, Herefordshire, Somerset and Cornwall. Highgrove is in a perfect spot between London where William will often need to be for royal duties, and these land areas and most of the duchy offices. If William intends to be as hands on as Charles is with the duchy then this will be important.

William might like Amner but I see nothing to indicate he's so in love with it that he'll turn his nose to the much more practical Highgrove when he's heir. The main reason Amner was even their main base was for EAAA, now that's not a issue anymore. It's not like William hasn't shown a willingness to move for his work, since he married his main base has shifted from Anglelsey to Norfolk to now London. And in London, in the last 7 years his homes has shifted from CH to Nott Cott to 1A. He seems very adaptable to change and moves accordingly.

We are getting off topic because this is Harry's thread. So I'll just say I'll be shocked if Harry moves into Highgrove.

Why couldn't Harry use his childhood home at KP?
The same apartments Diana had?

Then he could also have a place in the country, perhaps in Norfolk near William and all their friends.

Because they've turned it to other uses. At least some of it is used as a media/reception area for the trio. Things that have been held in that space:

• Almost every interview you see of William and Harry (e.g. Ant and Dec for TPT, the Diana ones)
  • Kate hosting the Huffington Post mental health issue
  • William's meetings at KP for the Cyberbullying
  • William inviting Attitude magazine and members of the LGBT community to KP
  • William and Kate meeting the BBC Radio 1's Teen Heroes
  • The reception ahead of the India and Bhutan trip

IIRC, they spoke of it when they were taking Ant and Dec upstairs to the room where they were doing the interview, because they passed a massive painting of Diana that's on the stairway.

That wouldnt prevent Charles from buying it for his son or pushing for Harry to have it on a 99 year lease if he wishes.

The fact that is now belongs to the Duchy of Cornwall is the very reason Charles can't 'buy it'.

Cornwall property - like Lancaster - can't be sold.

Once Charles is King he won't have any say over the Duchy of Cornwall anyway.

Duchy owns land in a variety of places but by far it's largest holdings are in Devon, Herefordshire, Somerset and Cornwall. Highgrove is in a perfect spot between London where William will often need to be for royal duties, and these land areas and most of the duchy offices. If William intends to be as hands on as Charles is with the duchy then this will be important.

William might like Amner but I see nothing to indicate he's so in love with it that he'll turn his nose to the much more practical Highgrove when he's heir. The main reason Amner was even their main base was for EAAA, now that's not a issue anymore. It's not like William hasn't shown a willingness to move for his work, since he married his main base has shifted from Anglelsey to Norfolk to now London. And in London, in the last 7 years his homes has shifted from CH to Nott Cott to 1A. He seems very adaptable to change and moves accordingly.

We are getting off topic because this is Harry's thread. So I'll just say I'll be shocked if Harry moves into Highgrove.

Because you seem to be unable to separate private home from working home.

As you keep ignoring, High Grove is not used by Charles because of its location to SOME of his duchy holdings. It is used as his private home, like Birkhall, his retreat in his off hours. Amner is the same for William. William and Kate didn't have kids when they lived in Wales or when they lived in Notts. Amner is where they have made their home with their kids, where they have raised their kids so far. There is obvious links to the home for him.

Charles can not buy High Grove for Harry but he very could arrange a lease while he is Duke. While High grove is only a very minimal part of the duchy, it plays a major role in the prince's trust and Charles' private work. When he is king, the trust will need to be over seen by someone. Though William may take it, its just as likely Harry may (like Edward with the DOE awards). Living at High grove would be part of that.

Reality is William like his father will be king. He will have all of the royal estates one day. And properties like his father's home in Cornwall and Wales. Like all monarchs for him, he will have access to all the accommodation he requires when he travels through his country on duties. It is younger children of the monarch that need to be seen to, for their future housing. In the past this was done with buying new homes (Gatcombe, Sunninghill) and now with royal leases (Bagshot, royal lodge). The lease option seems the most likely.

The fact that is now belongs to the Duchy of Cornwall is the very reason Charles can't 'buy it'.

Cornwall property - like Lancaster - can't be sold.

Once Charles is King he won't have any say over the Duchy of Cornwall anyway.

That's not exactly true. Charles cannot sell capital assets for his own benefit, which is to say, he is not entitled to the proceeds or profit on the sale of capital assets.

In fact, there are currently two properties for sale by the Duchy: some vacant land at Hoarwithy and Treskelly Farmhouse (Lettings & Sales | The Duchy of Cornwall).

It seems to me that Highgrove will become an open museum-kind of thing. :flowers: Why not? Those beautiful gardens have been hosting visitors all these years. It's been such a labor of love for Charles. (I find it hard to believe he will easily give it up in fact. Something about that doesn't compute for me). Has a store. Why not open it to the public in a more obvious way, make it available for conferences, etc. Just an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom