Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting this, Dman. The theory that the Gloucesters might move out to something more manageable as they get into their later years has been around for some time. I remember it was discussed at the time Will and Kate got engaged. The Gloucesters supposedly offered to move out.

It's something to keep an eye on, as when Harry marries, and my guess is it will be next year, some apartment or house will have to be refurbished for him, that's obvious. Any renovations needed would take some time but after babies come Nott Cott will not be suitable, and how many other 21 room apartments are there knocking around at KP? At the moment windows and roof only, but it's interesting to speculate, nevertheless.

I've heard that Harry will get Diana's apartments one day to use as his London base, and then something more substantial in Norfolk.

:previous: You're welcome, Curryong. I'm not sure if Harry will get the Gloucester residence, but I think it's a very good idea. The Gloucester's really don't need such a large residence, now that their family are grown and moved out. He's going to need to a larger space eventually. He's going to get married and have some babies.

I'm betting his country home will be close to W&K if not on the same estate...makes sense.

LaRae

Pure speculation as it was with William. Rumors about Diana suites too, especially since new office space us being built. But time will tell.

I guess they could play musical homes. The couple could move into Nott cottage. They still own their manor but they lease it out. I don't see them moving back to Barnwell unless they retire from duties.

Why would Harry get a home in both London and the country? Andrew, Edward and Anne all have substantial country residences but only apartments in either BP or St James' as their London bases. Harry, like them, is the younger child. Historically the younger children either get a substantial London base OR a substantial country base but not both.

Of course he does have the money, from Diana, to buy his own country estate but he can't really expect to get more than Andrew or Anne?

William, having the large KP and home at Anmer is because he is the future King and will one day own Sandringham. The difference between the future King and the minor sibling his very real in the royal family pecking order e.g. anything Harry inherits from the Queen or Charles will be subject to inheritance tax but William won't pay inheritance tax on anything from Charles (he will from the Queen as it is only monarch to monarch inheritance that is tax free).

About 90 years left on the 99 year lease Andrew has on Royal Lodge makes that unavailable. I am sure it is written that even if he dies, his daughters have use of it until the end of the lease

I think an apartment at either KP or SJP will be found for Harry .

In the next reign, it is possibly Harry may also get a smallish country home, either on the Sandringham estate, or in the west Country.

Brian Hoey's book "Not in Front of the Corgis" implied that it was very grand and being considered for Prince William and Kate a few years ago but both Princess Alexandra and her brother The Duke of Kent pushed back and Alexandra got to remain there.

The flat is off Engine Court.

Thanks for citing the Brian Hoey book. I'd never heard of it. I looked for an E-book copy to read. It's fun to read about the Queen walking around the various palaces with her corgis having the full run, and no one being allowed to pet them, except her! :lol:

I hope Harry and his future wife and family will be happy wherever they end up residing. ?

... William, having the large KP and home at Anmer is because he is the future King and will one day own Sandringham. The difference between the future King and the minor sibling his very real in the royal family pecking order e.g. anything Harry inherits from the Queen or Charles will be subject to inheritance tax but William won't pay inheritance tax on anything from Charles (he will from the Queen as it is only monarch to monarch inheritance that is tax free).

Thanks for explaining. That's all very interesting. What would happen if William, as King, decides to pass off something or other to his brother Harry? No go I suppose? He'd only be allowed to pass off properties to Prince George to avoid taxes?

I suppose it's all different for exclusive family articles of inheritance (such as expensive jewelry, antiques, and rare wedding gifts of china, etc. that the royal family have accumulated over the years)?

William could pass anything he wants to anyone he wants (though I think Sandringham and Balmoral may be held in trust). The difference is whatever King William leaves to George will be tax free (supposing the rules aren't changed by then) while whatever he leaves to others - Charlotte, Harry etc will be taxed in the same way as any other person.

The monarch or the heir is basically the only people that can afford multiple homes. William doesn't own Anmer (Queen does)and Charles doesn't own Highgrove (Duchy of Cornwall does). The private estates like Sandringham and Balmoral can be left to anyone but they will have to pay inheritance tax. Plus they cost a lot of money to maintain and don't bring tons of money to support themselves. So if anyone else gets them, it almost guarantees that they will be sold off

The monarch or the heir is basically the only people that can afford multiple homes. William doesn't own Anmer (Queen does)and Charles doesn't own Highgrove (Duchy of Cornwall does). The private estates like Sandringham and Balmoral can be left to anyone but they will have to pay inheritance tax. Plus they cost a lot of money to maintain and don't bring tons of money to support themselves. So if anyone else gets them, it almost guarantees that they will be sold off

Also, giving anyone but someone in the direct line a house on the Sandringham or Balmoral Estates raises the possibility of those estates being broken up in the future. The Queen could give Charles a cottage at Balmoral and William a house a Sandringham with little or no concern about future complications because both men are line to one day own the estates in their entirety, anyway.

There isn't a need to actually transfer ownership of anything to Charles or William before they become monarch

The devil in Harry may find him wanting Fort Belvedere near Windsor, and he might end up with the life use of Birkhall in Scotland, and York Cottage, or one of the others at Sandringham. After all, Charles only has 2 children. Easier than 4.

Also, giving anyone but someone in the direct line a house on the Sandringham or Balmoral Estates raises the possibility of those estates being broken up in the future. The Queen could give Charles a cottage at Balmoral and William a house a Sandringham with little or no concern about future complications because both men are line to one day own the estates in their entirety, anyway.
After the trouble the BRF went to buying those two estates back from the Duke of Windsor, I imagine they are pretty well tied up legally. Before that, they were left to the King/Queen's heir just as the Duchy of Cornwall went to the eldest son and heir. Fortunately, the Duchy of Cornwall was no longer his as he was no longer the heir.

The devil in Harry may find him wanting Fort Belvedere near Windsor, and he might end up with the life use of Birkhall in Scotland, and York Cottage, or one of the others at Sandringham. After all, Charles only has 2 children. Easier than 4.

I think he will live close to William, on the same estate.

LaRae

Thanks for explaining. That's all very interesting. What would happen if William, as King, decides to pass off something or other to his brother Harry? No go I suppose? He'd only be allowed to pass off properties to Prince George to avoid taxes?

I suppose it's all different for exclusive family articles of inheritance (such as expensive jewelry, antiques, and rare wedding gifts of china, etc. that the royal family have accumulated over the years)?

Anything William leaves to anyone other than his successor as King (assuming he becomes King) is subject to the same inheritance tax as anyone else which is why Margaret's children and the Gloucester's and Kent's had to sell jewellery etc.

Most of the 'exclusive family articles' are actually the possession of the people through the Royal Collection and so can't be sold or left to anyone. There are some private pieces of jewellery that can be left but again if not via monarch to monarch transfer they attract the same rates of inheritance tax - which is very high and has seen many British families have to sell their artworks and even their homes to pay it.

The Queen will therefore leave the vast bulk of her estate to Charles and he will leave it to William and William to George. In each generation the monarch will hope and pray that the new monarch will continue to support their siblings and anyone else that the previous monarch has been supporting e.g. The Queen would expect that Charles would continue to support her first cousins as she has done (Richard, Edward, Michael and Alexandra) along with his own siblings and Harry and Harry's family. In turn Charles would expect William to continue to support any of these who are still living when he goes. This is one reason why Charles doesn't want the York girls working for the Firm - as he doesn't want to have to support them and nor does William.

With about 80+ years left on Andrew's 99 year lease on Royal Lodge, the York girls aren't going anywhere.

That lease may not be transferrable to his girls. However, Andrew is going anywhere soon so it's not a solution for Harry in the near term future.

With about 80+ years left on Andrew's 99 year lease on Royal Lodge, the York girls aren't going anywhere.
I thought I'd read that it was inheritable by the girls. Royal family members 'offered cut-price deals on properties' - Telegraph
But I thought I'd also read that it was a 99 year lease and this article states that it's a 75 year lease A 30-room mansion in the grounds of Windsor Castle? To you, Sir, £250 a week | The Independent
75 or 99, still not available for Harry.

Its a 75 year lease and can be inherited by "named members his immediate family" but not in the last 5 years of the lease.
The National Audit Office carried out a report into the Crown Estate leasing/renting to members of the RF after MPs kicked up a fuss in 2005. The report is here https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2005/04/royal_property_leases.pdf and has a table at the back that shows the terms of the deals for Royal Lodge, Bagshot Park & Thatched House Lodge. Bit off topic but basically, yes unless Bea and Eugenie want to give up Royal Lodge it is out the running for Harry.

Its a 75 year lease and can be inherited by "named members his immediate family" but not in the last 5 years of the lease.
The National Audit Office carried out a report into the Crown Estate leasing/renting to members of the RF after MPs kicked up a fuss in 2005. The report is here https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2005/04/royal_property_leases.pdf and has a table at the back that shows the terms of the deals for Royal Lodge, Bagshot Park & Thatched House Lodge. Bit off topic but basically, yes unless Bea and Eugenie want to give up Royal Lodge it is out the running for Harry.

Something to keep in mind is having the lease paid is not the same as having the means to maintain the place. Andrew and Edward are given allowances as working royals - unless something changes significantly i dont see Beatrice and Eugenie following that path - so they would need to marry well in order to pay for the staff and upkeep of Royal Lodge.

Both Andrew and Edward are also being set up to be extremely wealthy men in their own rights by their mother - not relying on Charles for handouts - and that will be in trust funds so that the children will be able to access that for the maintenance of the houses.

Last estimate I saw was Andrew was worth around 75 million pounds with Edward at around 35 million (that was after Andrew had sold Sunninghill but before he bought the property in Switzerland). I think Anne was somewhere between the two. How that was worked out I have no idea but given the estimates of the Queen's wealth in investments is in the 100s of millions it wouldn't surprise me if they are using the same financial advisers for their private investments and doing very well with them.

Very interesting - thank you for the link. It is certainly one possibility that Harry could assume a lease on a similar property at some point since the Queen's 2 younger sons have both done so.
The terms of Andrew's lease allowed inheritance by his 'widow' a bit odd since at the time it was negotiated he was unmarried and thus would have no widow, and his 2 daughters or a trust for their sole benefit. One has to wonder, what if Andrew remarries and has a later in life child or two - they'd be left out of this arrangement. It's not unusual to set things up to include as yet unborn children here in the US, not sure whether there are provisions limiting such arrangements in Britain.

I think he will live close to William, on the same estate.

LaRae
I guess we just have to find out what other properties, like Anmer Hall, that are part of the Sandringham Estate.

I had to smile at the allowance made for Andrew's "spouse". I wonder what she knows that we don't. :whistling:

I guess we just have to find out what other properties, like Anmer Hall, that are part of the Sandringham Estate.

I had to smile at the allowance made for Andrew's "spouse". I wonder what she knows that we don't. :whistling:

Based on past discussions here evidently there are multiple options for Harry to choose from on the estate. Makes sense financially and since he's so close to William and his family.

Hmmm Andrew's spouse...perhaps they still consider them married...

LaRae

Hmmm Andrew's spouse...perhaps they still consider them married...

LaRae

Logic tells me that if it is a 75 year lease, they cover all bases of the "could bes". Its well within the realm of possibility that when the contract was drawn up. there was (and still is) every chance that Andrew could remarry. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom