Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Highgrove is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall. William could lease it to Harry though.

I think Charles owns Birkhall outright.

Charles doesn't own Birkhall. It's part of the Balmoral estate like Anmer is part of Sandringham. In time, he will inherit the private property of the Queen. None of Charles's siblings have both a large country house and a large London place. I don't see why Harry would be any different.

Last edited:
Birkhall is in Scotland, so not really a substitute for Anmer. My sense is that once Charles is King and assuming Harry is married by then, housing will end up as follows:

Charles: BP (assuming works are completed and he moves there), Windsor, Sandringham and Balmoral
William: KP 1A / Clarence House (especially if this is after George and Charlotte have gone to Boarding school), Highgrove, the place in Wales and Birkhall
Harry: An apartment at KP (perhaps 1A, if the Cambridges have moved to Clarence House), Anmer or a property on the Windsor estate

Are there several properties on Windsor available?

LaRae

Are there several properties on Windsor available?

LaRae
I can't comment on availability, but it is s large estate, so there will be plenty of properties on it.

Charles doesn't own Birkhall. It's part of the Balmoral estate like Anmer is part of Sandringham. In time, he will inherit the private property of the Queen. None of Charles's siblings have both a large country house and a large London place. I don't see why Harry would be any different.

So true.

If Harry is to have a large apartment in KP - meaning he is going to make London his home base - the he won't also have a large house in the country e.g. Princess Margaret didn't have a second country home and she was the second child of the king.

All of the Queen's younger children have a large home out of London - as their actual family home with a working apartment in BP and that is what Harry should have - the same as other younger children.

William will eventually inherit Highgrove as part of the Duchy of Cornwall - although he may continue to allow his father to lease it from the Duchy and then it would pass to George. He will also inherit Sandringham but I don't see him moving into the big house there at all but staying at Anmer and allowing the big house to be a museum permanently, open 365 days a year even. Balmoral will also pass to him and I suspect he will move into the main house there when Charles is King as I suspect Charles would prefer to stay at Birkhall given the time and effort he and Camilla have put into making it their Scottish home.

The question is where will Charles live in London as King. I have heard it said he wants to stay at CH and basically use BP as a 'state hotel' for visitors to the nation (and there are many more than just to one or two state visits each year) as well as open it for much longer to the public.

One place no one has mentioned that I can recall is St James'. There are a number of apartments there and it connects directly to CH. That could allow Harry a good sized apartment in St James' as his London home with an apartment at Windsor or a small house on the Sandringham estate (although in the past only the future owner of the estate has been given such a house e.g. George V and William).

The Queen wanted to stay at Clarence House too. That didn't work out. After spending millions to repair BP, no way it is not going to be occupied.

All his siblings have both a London home and a private home.

Anne lives in st James when in London. And owns Gatcombe park.

Andrew lives in Buckingham palace in London. He lives at Royal lodge in Windsor since he sold the house they got as a wedding gift, in the country.

Edward lives at Buckingham in London. And Bagshot in the country.

So while no, he likely won't own a property, it would be very unusual
If Harry doesn't have a country home of some kind.

That's why I said Large country home and Large London home. A suite of rooms in BP or St James isn't the same as the large apartment homes in KP occupied by Cambridges, Gloucesters and Kents.

Birkhall is part of the Balmoral estate which will pass to Charles as monarch and then to William.

I think with William, he'll stick with 1A at KP and Amner Hall until he ascends the throne.

With Charles, regardless of whether he moves his residence from Clarence House to BP is yet to be seen as so many things hinge on the 10 year renovation plan.

I wouldn't be surprised if Harry leased Highgrove when the need arises for him to have a country home. From what I've gathered, Harry is keener on growing things than William is. :D

Birkhall is part of the Balmoral estate which will pass to Charles as monarch and then to William.

I think with William, he'll stick with 1A at KP and Amner Hall until he ascends the throne.

With Charles, regardless of whether he moves his residence from Clarence House to BP is yet to be seen as so many things hinge on the 10 year renovation plan.

I wouldn't be surprised if Harry leased Highgrove when the need arises for him to have a country home. From what I've gathered, Harry is keener on growing things than William is. :D

It doesn't matter that William doesn't like to grow things. Kate does. Plus there is a team of gardeners to take care of things. Harry isn't going to have a large income source like the Duchy of Cornwall. William may still want to use Highgrove when he is Duke of Cornwall for its location. Then George can take it over when he becomes Duke of Cornwall.

I forget...will Harry ever get a stipend from the 'civil list' (as a full time Royal) or is that a thing of the past?

There's no more civil list. Just the Sovereign grant. Plus the Duchy of Lancaster and Cornwall money for those Dukes.

There's no more civil list. Just the Sovereign grant. Plus the Duchy of Lancaster and Cornwall money for those Dukes.

Ok I thought maybe that went away back not long before Princess Margaret passed but couldn't remember!

LaRae

Harry will receive nothing from the state as he is a minor royal. He will be supported by Charles from first the Duchy of Cornwall and then the Duchy of Lancaster estates and then by William and George from the Lancaster estates.

The Civil List used to be paid to royals as voted by parliament but in 1992 the Queen decided to repay to the government all the Civil List payments made to all royals other than the Queen Mother and Philip. Due to the timing Edward, for instance, was never even given a Civil List payment. Andrew, Anne, Margaret, Richard, Edward of Kent and Alexandra all received Civil List payments that the Queen repaid from 1992 when she was also forced to pay taxes on her private income so she found her personal income reduced decidedly with having to pay tax and repay the civil list payments.

In 2011/12 the Sovereign Grant Act replaced all Civil List payments so those royals no longer get anything from the state directly but from either The Queen or Charles. This is a major reason why Charles doesn't want to have the York girls on the royal duties set up so he doesn't have support them undertaking those duties.

Harry does have the income from his inheritance from Diana to use as well - assuming he hasn't spent it all already. Maybe he should do so - and buy himself a country estate if he wants one.

It's not easy finding homes for the senior royals, especially when it comes to security and privacy concerns.

There is not a pressing need for Harry to move from Nott Cottage to a larger place right now. Not until he has a child on the way would he need a larger space.

I thought I read some while ago that Charles intended to make Windsor his main London residence and only use BP for state/government related affairs.

I have read (various biographies of the BRF members) that the Queen, back when, wanted to make BP as the work place and live at one of the other residences there...but it was discouraged by the courtiers etc.

So...why couldn't Charles live at Clarence House and do that...just use BP as the workplace? Would people really care if he did that?

LaRae

One consideration would be that Charles will be over 70 and could even be over 80 when the time comes to move. Moving is a very stressful business for most people but in the very old it is even more stressful. I may decided that it would be best to leave Charles at CH, finish any refurbishing at BP still needing to be done and then have William move in when he becomes King - if the monarchy is still around then.

If William wants to live in BP...he might opt for something else too.

LaRae

My understanding is that it was Winston Churchill who requested / ordered the Queen to move to Buckingham Palace. I think the circumstances were different because the Queen Mother and Margaret lived at Buckingham Palace and perhaps Churchill thought that the Queen being based out of Buckingham Palace solidified her position as monarch.

When Charles becomes King there will not be a middle-aged, beloved and splendiferous widowed parent around to "compete." Yeah Philip may be around but I don't think that there will be the same kind of optics issues if Philip remains at Buckingham Palace while the monarch resides and his court are based in a "lesser" location. Although I'm thinking that if Philip survives Elizabeth that he will spend most of his time at Windsor.

Having said that, I think that Charles may be able get away with not moving to BP but I am not sure if William can.

Oh yeah Harry, I'm thinking large home purchased by Charles or something big at Windsor, a modest London apartment and even though there is not a lot of precedent for a non-heir, a substantial home at Sandringham or Balmoral.

I think a lot hinges on this 10 year renovation project starting in April. In 10 years, Charles will be 78 and Camilla even older. Who knows what will happen between now and then. Charles may opt out to stay at Clarence House at least until the renovations are completed and maybe even after that decide to remain. The renovations that are being done are to fortify and bring up to date a building of national interest so I don't think the public would complain overly much.

As William has a country house on the Sandringham estate, maybe Harry will also to be close to William and their families grow together. I'd not be surprised if Harry finds a country home either at Windsor or Balmoral. So many ifs about the whole future housing thing that its impossible to actually know what will be.

Originally posted by Lady Nimue:
"Come to think of it, where are the polo matches? I seem to recall a flow of them with William and Harry participating. Is that a seasonal thing, or have the brothers stopped playing?"

Based on last year's round of polo matches, it looks as if they take place in May and June. The brothers were playing last year, so they surely still play.

Some articles from last year:

Prince Harry plays polo at Cowarth Park Polo club | Daily Mail Online

Princes William and Harry play polo at Audi event in Coworth Park | Daily Mail Online

Prince William takes part in charity polo match in Cirencester | Daily Mail Online

Here's info on plans for renovations to Orangery at KP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u_dt6hHEZ0

Quote from Iluvbertie

Harry does have the income from his inheritance from Diana to use as well - assuming he hasn't spent it all already. Maybe he should do so - and buy himself a country estate if he wants one.

End Quote.

Is that what the Queen suggested Anne do for her estate, or Edward, or Andrew with his home? Why would an exception be made for Harry? And do you have any evidence that Harry has been using the principal of the millions left to him by his mother? If so I'd like to hear it!

I have no idea what he has done with his money - and it is his business.

He may have spent it all on parties and holidays or may have invested it wisely. He does go to a lot of parties and holidays and someone has to pay.

I did say 'assuming he hasn't spent it all' - not that he had spent it.

Yes he should pay for his own home.

The Queen bought Anne's home. Edward's and Andrew's are leased - Edward's on an annual basis I believe and the lease is being paid by The Queen (no idea what will happen when she dies - will Charles continue to pay it or will Edward have to leave???). Andrew had enough money to pay a 75 year lease up front and so has about 65 years to run on that property.

By the way to quote someone simply press 'quote' at the bottom of the post and remove anything you don't want - it makes it clearer that you are quoting someone.

So it's fine for the Queen to buy an estate for her daughter and pay the leases for two of her sons, but not for Charles to buy a home for Harry, the younger of his two sons? Why should Harry have to pay out of his own pocket when every other senior member hasn't ?

Actually, I can see a home on the Sandringham estates for Harry, either through the good graces of the Queen, but almost certainly of Charles.

I don't rate him as a reporter but I know some people on here swear by him. On this, though, I agree. Take it for what's it worth

Richard Palmer‏ @RoyalReporter
Prince Harry will clearly need a bigger place soon but my understanding is there's nowhere currently earmarked for him at Kensington Palace.

Last edited:
Yes, but later in the conversation Richard goes on to speculate that Harry might settle eventually at Clarence House. He says hes often thought that might be, if Charles and Camilla move out in the next reign. That's a beautiful old home but would need ongoing maintenance.

I think Clarence House is a little too grand for someone in Harry's position in the family.

I do think he will eventually settle in an apartment in KP just not in the near future. He's still single and Nott Cottage was good enough for the Cambridges when they first married.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom