Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Camilla has Raymill House that is hers.

True but as the consort of the monarch a London base would also be expected - The Queen Mother had CH and Queen Mary had Marlborough House etc

The Queen doesn't have to leave Balmoral and Sandringham to Charles but going back to Edward VII the private estates have been left to the next monarch (not counting George VI who had to buy them from his brother) so it is highly likely that Charles and then William will inherit Balmoral & Sandringham.

Highly likely - to avoid death duties being the major reason - but not absolutely essential.

Just because it has always happened that way doesn't mean it will continue to be done that way.

Charles doesn't own Highgrove himself. It part of the Duchy of Cornwall so he can't leave it anyone.

I think you will find, if you go back through this thread, that I have said that on numerous occasions so I am fully aware of this.

If the Cambridges want to stay at KP after Charles is King, Harry could go to Clarence House.

Why does Harry have to go anywhere - CH is way to big for a minor royal like Harry anyway. As there are suggestions that William and Kate will soon be trying to have a second child and even later a third it won't be tool long until Harry is really irrelevant to the royal family - just as Andrew is now.

However, the Cambridge might need the larger house for the reception areas and to house a bigger staff than what they have now.

They have an entire palace receptions rooms at their disposal at KP now so they don't need larger ones at CH. They don't have to have them in their apartment.

Plus it frees up CH for George after William becomes King.

Depends on how old George is when William becomes King - he could be still a child or already married and settled in his own apartment somewhere else.

All this is theoretical. Harry is in Nott Cottage which is fine for a single guy but not for a family so he will have to move sometime. Since we don't know what will happen first, the Queen dying or Harry having a family. We can just speculate.

As for Camilla, she didn't spend her entire adult life as a royal like Alexandria, Mary and Elizabeth. She is not the mother of the King if she outlives Charles. I would think if this happens she would retreat back to her private life with her kids and grand kids and not fulfill the traditional Dowager Queen role because unlike previous Dowager Queens, she isn't the mother of the new monarch.

Royal Lodge or the Royal Lodge

I thought that Andrew's home was Royal Lodge, not the Royal Lodge. (To me, of course, it makes no difference, but I seem to recall that Queen Mary (perhaps) was always very persnickety about what it was called.)

All this is theoretical. Harry is in Nott Cottage which is fine for a single guy but not for a family so he will have to move sometime. Since we don't know what will happen first, the Queen dying or Harry having a family. We can just speculate.

As for Camilla, she didn't spend her entire adult life as a royal like Alexandria, Mary and Elizabeth. She is not the mother of the King if she outlives Charles. I would think if this happens she would retreat back to her private life with her kids and grand kids and not fulfill the traditional Dowager Queen role because unlike previous Dowager Queens, she isn't the mother of the new monarch.

I don't know that there is necessarily a specific role beyond the traditional royal role for a dowager. That said, Queen Adelaide wasn't the mother of the next monarch, yet she still fulfilled a role as Dowager Queen.

While I doubt Camilla will be pulling a hugely active role if she survives Charles, I also can't see her just disappearing. She seems to take her role fairly seriously.

I can see her coming to family events but is she really going to want William to put her up in Clarence House like the Queen Mother was after George VI or Queen Mary in Marlborough House. Then people would complain about the taxpayer's money and such.

If Charles becomes king then Camilla would have left CH and moved into BP.

If Camilla is already living in BP when Charles dies, then Camilla will probably continue to have an apartment in BP.

We have to take into consideration the ages of the people.

The Queen Mum was only 51 when her husband died. Camilla is already 66.

If the Queen lives to 100 and Charles lives to 95, then George will 12-13 when his great-grandmother dies and 30-31 when his grandfather dies.

I don't see Camilla moving back to Clarence House unless Charles dies within a few years of being king.

I see CH being opened year round until George is married with kids.

Harry will not receive CH.

If Harry is more a city person then his main residence would be in KP. If he is more of a country person his main residence would be in the country.

I can see Balmoral & Sandringham Estate broken up with cottages/property given to each grandchild/greatgrandchild, while keeping most of the main property intact.

Last edited:
Just offhand, I think should Camilla become the Dowager Queen, she most likely will have a London base such as an apartment in BP or even something small and private such as Nottingham Cottage at KP. I do think she'll keep her bolt hole Ray Mill as her country residence where her children and grandchildren feel comfortable coming to.

Although she'll remain visible as part of the BRF, I don't see her wanting to push herself into any major roles and will prefer to stay in the background for the most part.

Personally I think Harry will have a larger apartment at Kensington Palace (possibly maybe Wren House if/when the Kents leave it) and a country house somewhere, I'm sure Charles or the Queen could afford a new country house if they wanted to or find one either in Windsor or at Sandringham.
Bearing in mind Charles will most likely have Balmoral and Sandringham as well as use of Windsor I can see him giving up Highgrove and maybe suggesting it be rented to Harry.
William would have Anmer and maybe Birkhall and the likely inherit Sandringham and Balmoral within a decade or two so to me it would make it unlikely he would take over Highgrove for what would be a (relatively speaing) short time.

William is going to take control of Highgrove whether he lives there or not as Duke of Cornwall and then George will take control as the next Duke so it wouldn't be a long term country home option for Harry.

The simplest scenario is to follow what was done before. After Charles becomes King, he moves like his parents did from CH to BP, WKG +future kids move from KP to CH. Harry +future family move in Apt 1A like Princess Margaret and stays there.

I agree about KP so the rest is all dependent on whether or not Harry ends up with a country home.
IMO Harry seems a bit more connected to the countryside than Margaret did so I feel he may end up with a house somewhere in the country whether its a big mansion and estate or just a smaller weekend retreat.
There is nothing to say that William has to live in Highgrove just because he becomes Duke of Cornwall, Highgrove was only brought by the estate for Charles so I'm sure William could and would let Harry have use of it. Likewise when George becomes Duke I can't imagine him kicking his uncle out. Its all hypothetical , we just have to wait and see, maybe they'll surprise us all and Harry will live in a 2 bedroom council house ;-)

Last edited:
Or Highgrove will be sold after Charles becomes king or dies.

Or Highgrove will be sold after Charles becomes king or dies.

It can't be sold as it belongs to the Duchy of Cornwall and once something is owned by the Duchy it can't be sold - some ancient/medieval statute makes that the situation. They would actually have to have an Act of Parliament to allow them to sell it.

Presuming Harry does get a country home, there are two possible scenarios: he has his main home in London with a country retreat (like the Cambridges currently do) or lives primarily at his country residence with a smaller London palace base (like the Queen's younger children).

I don't think Harry yet cares about his future homes as much as we do. ;)

It can't be sold as it belongs to the Duchy of Cornwall and once something is owned by the Duchy it can't be sold - some ancient/medieval statute makes that the situation. They would actually have to have an Act of Parliament to allow them to sell it.

Actually, the Duchy can buy and sell assets but only to reinvest in the Trust - it is this manipulation that has helped make it so successful in terms of growth. What is not allowed is for the Duke of Cornwall to take the money from the sale of a capital asset (property in the case of Highgrove) for his personal use.

But I think that the sale of Highgrove is most unlikely. It cannot be gifted to Harry but it could be sold (at market rate) or leased.

According to the Duchy's website, any transaction greater than £500,000 has to be approved by the Treasury.

There isn't any reason why William would not use Highgrove like his father did. It is close to the duchy and Wales which will be important to the new Duke. Amner Hall in Norfolk is great for now when the Queen is alive and for the holidays so the Middletons can stay with the Cambridges as George and future kids grow up. But there will be a need for Highgrove when William is Duke of Cornwall.

According to the Duchy's website, any transaction greater than £500,000 has to be approved by the Treasury.

There isn't any reason why William would not use Highgrove like his father did. It is close to the duchy and Wales which will be important to the new Duke. Amner Hall in Norfolk is great for now when the Queen is alive and for the holidays so the Middletons can stay with the Cambridges as George and future kids grow up. But there will be a need for Highgrove when William is Duke of Cornwall.

Yes, but it can happen - I was responding to the comment that it couldn't

If the Cambridges ever relocate from KP, and the other apartments are freed up through natural attrition, Harry will be on his own in KP. If the York princesses marry in future, is it likely (as non-working royals) they could rent apartments in KP? Although then of course SJP would be vacant.

But would he really have a need for Highgrove? The Queen lives nowhere near the Duchy of Lancaster.

Prince Charles is actively involved into with the running of the Duchy of Cornwall and spends a lot of time there plus as PoW he also spends time in Wales which he tours annually. William is learning his future role from his father and most likely will be also hands on running the Duchy and spending time in the area.
He has already been attending the bi-yearly duchy management meetings with his father.

The Duchy of Lancaster on the other hand is administrated by a Chancellor whose is a govt. minister appointed by the monarch with the advice of the prime minister.

Royal Lodge at Windsor would be an ideal home for Harry in the future. I can see Andrew downsizing in the medium term.

Royal Lodge at Windsor would be an ideal home for Harry in the future. I can see Andrew downsizing in the medium term.

It also could be possible that Andrew turns over the lease for Royal Lodge to one of his daughters as they marry and start a family. I believe I've read somewhere that Andrew has something like a 99 year lease on Royal Lodge.

I don't see Andrew downsizing. He seems to enjoy his lifestyle. And as the son of and brother of the monarch, Royal Lodge is befitting his station. I think Harry will be given Frogmore when the time is appropriate.

Just wondering how long Andrew had been married/been a working royal by the time he received his house from the Queen? This could be an indication of if/when Harry gets a family home.

Just wondering how long Andrew had been married/been a working royal by the time he received his house from the Queen? This could be an indication of if/when Harry gets a family home.

If I'm not mistaken, Andrew was still in the Navy and the Queen gifted Andrew and Sarah the brand new home of Sunninghill. Not sure if it was at the time of their marriage or when though. Andrew took out a 99 year lease I believe on the Royal Lodge after the Queen Mum's death and he had sold Sunninghill.

I think if/when Harry gets a family residence, it will be because there is a need for it. Right now, being in the military and single, he's nice and cozy in Nottingham Cottage on KP grounds.

I guess it will all depend on what Prince Harry does in the future. If he remains single and is out of the country for several weeks at a time (in Africa for example) then he may very well be content with Nottingham Cottage in London and various temporary houses like Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate if he wants to get together with pals for a shoot etc.

If, on the other hand, he marries in the next few years and then establishes a family, he could well have an apartment at Kensington Palace and a country house which would be suitable for his and his wife's needs and preference.

Whether they want to build a new home or not would be up to them. Who knows, she might come from a family with an estate of their own which could have a suitable house on it. However, I do think something on the Sandringham estate is more likely than not.

I just don't see him at Highgrove, however. It would cost a fortune to maintain and Harry's just not going to have that sort of income, even if he marries someone wealthy.

Basically everybody who isn't a direct heir to the throne, only has one big residence. Anne, Edward, Andrew - large house in country and small suite of rooms in London. Margaret had a large apartment in KP but no UK country house (the Mustique house was a gift). So I don't think that Harry will be any different than what we have seen with others who aren't the direct heirs.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Basically everybody who isn't a direct heir to the throne, only has one big residence. Anne, Edward, Andrew - large house in country and small suite of rooms in London. Margaret had a large apartment in KP but no UK country house (the Mustique house was a gift). So I don't think that Harry will be any different than what we have seen with others who aren't the direct heirs.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I think that is right, I would be surprised if Harry took on two major properties. The solution may be that once he is married, he has a "proper" place at KP (possibly the Cambridge apartment, if they have moved to Clarence House), and borrows homes on the Sandringham or Windsor estates, as and when required.

I think that is right, I would be surprised if Harry took on two major properties. The solution may be that once he is married, he has a "proper" place at KP (possibly the Cambridge apartment, if they have moved to Clarence House), and borrows homes on the Sandringham or Windsor estates, as and when required.

Is it known where Prince Harry actually lives? Does he have a room with stepmom and dad?:lol:

Is it known where Prince Harry actually lives? Does he have a room with stepmom and dad?:lol:

If I'm not mistaken, Harry's residence is Nottingham Cottage at KP. He moved in there after the Cambridges moved to Apt. 1A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom