Clarence House

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I keep forgetting about the gorgeous gardens at Clarence House!

A few days ago I saw photos (in the Daily Mail) of a party Charles and Camilla hosted at Clarence House. Does it have a ballroom or is it large enough to entertain large numbers of guests? It's connected to St James' Palace, correct? Could they use the ballroom there (if there is one)? Thanks.

Update: I see now where there was a reception at Clarence House followed by a banquet at Lancaster House.

Last edited:
Did Prince Charles keep any of the paintings in Clarence House his grandmother The Queen Mother had placed when she resided there?

Clarence House does not have a large ballroom, in fact I believe most of its rooms are relatively small by royal standards but a series of rooms can be opened through opening up all the adjoining doors.

That said, Clarence House is joined to St James' Palace which has a series of State rooms in the State Apartments which can be used for entertaining. In addition, Lancaster House is located just over the road and is a large house with plenty of large rooms for entertaining.It is owned by the government and used for official entertaining, summits etc. So while CH may not have lots of large space it is close by to plenty of places that do.

Spring is coming to the Clarence House!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuTnCIlgqA9/

There's nothing more calming or relaxing than a tranquil garden to calm the soul. Especially in busy London.
Better homes and garden show on our tv showed with special permission the lovely garden at the rear of No 10 Downing street. A lovely big area to relax the PM and good entertaining areas.

I remember reading some of Queen Marie of Romania's autobiography where she says growing up at Clarence House in the 1880's, if a little princess fell over wearing a white dress it was covered in black soot.
The pollution in London was that bad back then.

A few days ago I saw photos (in the Daily Mail) of a party Charles and Camilla hosted at Clarence House. Does it have a ballroom or is it large enough to entertain large numbers of guests? It's connected to St James' Palace, correct? Could they use the ballroom there (if there is one)? Thanks.

Update: I see now where there was a reception at Clarence House followed by a banquet at Lancaster House.

Interesting that the CC makes no mention of a banquet at Lancaster House after the Reception. Charles had a dinner at Buckingham Palace after the reception for the Elephant charity.

Where did you get information about a banquet at Lancaster House?

Did Prince Charles keep any of the paintings in Clarence House his grandmother The Queen Mother had placed when she resided there?

I suspect a majority of the art from the time of the Queen Mother is still at Clarence House.

Interesting that the CC makes no mention of a banquet at Lancaster House after the Reception. Charles had a dinner at Buckingham Palace after the reception for the Elephant charity.

Where did you get information about a banquet at Lancaster House?
I know I read it in the Daily Mail but now the article seems to have disappeared. The video is still there but not the article. Oh well.

"The arrangement of the rooms and the grouping of their contents remain recognisably as they were in Queen Elizabeth's time, with much of Her Majesty's collection of works of art and furniture in their former positions."
https://www.royal.uk/royal-residences-clarence-house

You can take a look for yourself here:
https://artsandculture.google.com/search/streetview?p=clarence-house

Did The Queen Mother purchase paintings from only British painters?
Mainly British painters but she did buy a Monet (not on display).

Ir won't be long before the Christmas tree goes up at Clarence House!

If the King and Queen eventually relocate from CH to a newly refurbished BP, what is the likelihood of the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh relocating to CH? This would avoid the building remaining unoccupied until probably George is significantly older. The Edinburghs are now senior royals but have a fairly insignificant London-based residence in BP as opposed to something more grand, which I think is deserved by them.

If the King and Queen eventually relocate from CH to a newly refurbished BP, what is the likelihood of the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh relocating to CH? This would avoid the building remaining unoccupied until probably George is significantly older. The Edinburghs are now senior royals but have a fairly insignificant London-based residence in BP as opposed to something more grand, which I think is deserved by them.

I don’t think Buck a house will ever be lived in again. At one point many of them had rooms there. I don’t honk they do anymore. Edward lives in Windsor. It’s a posh suburb. I am sure they have rooms to stay over in one of the palaces when they need to.

Edward has been a senior royal since he was born.

Senior royals are determined by relationship to the monarch and nothing else.

Anne doesn't have a London home so there is no need for Edward and Sophie to have one either and I suspect they are happy to live at Windsor and use their apartment at St James's if necessary.

Anne lives further away in Gloucestershire and sees no need for anything more than an apartment at St James's.

I can see CH being handed over to the nation for some reason - similar to how MH was handed over to be the HQ of the Commonwealth after the death of Queen Mary.

It would be a perfect place for a museum into the life of the British monarchy in the 20th-21st century.

I don't expect CH to house the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh. I suspect the next occupant of the property will probably be Prince George.

To the extent there are intervening years between C&C no longer living there and George moving in, I suspect it will be used as offices.

Personally I can see the King and Queen continuing to reside at Clarence House and continue using BP as the Official Residence post refurbishment but not living there.

Personally I can see the King and Queen continuing to reside at Clarence House and continue using BP as the Official Residence post refurbishment but not living there.

That remains a very real possibility, thought I am not quite sure why they can't fashion out a suitable home for themselves at BP.

But the question remains of what will come of Clarence House in the next reign. Not quite sure W&C will be keen to return to CH, or if they may move into BP.

William and Kate may remain in their KP apartment in the next reign. God knows it’s large enough, and there are extra rooms there at the Palace that could be used for some entertaining. BP could be used for the big events. No royal from Queen Victoria on really loved living in BP. Apparently it’s cold and inconvenient and may well remain that way in spite of renovations. Clarence House apparently needs a lot of maintenance. It could be used as a museum of some sort.

Last edited:
My guess (which will probably be wrong :D) is that The King will eventually move into the refurbished private apartments at BP & CH will become the London residence of the Wales family.

I can definitely see Charles and Camilla retaining Clarence House as their ”London Home” post-renovation while doing the daily business, audiences, receptions, State visits etc from Buckingham Palace…

What William and Catherine will do probably depends on when they cone to the throne and if their children have ”moved out” or still lives At home…
If their children still lives At home, i can see them keeping apartnent 1A at Kensington Palace as their London-home while doing the business from Buckingham Palace.

If their children have moved out, they won’t need to have a big apartment .. Maybe they will move to a smaller apartment at Kensington Palace (like Prince and Princess Michael of Kent’s current home) or move in at Buckingham Palace…

Clarence House will probably go to George… Unless Charles leaves it to the government or an organisation…

I thought Charles did say he intended to move into BP once the refurbishment was complete?

I thought Charles did say he intended to move into BP once the refurbishment was complete?

AFAIK, the King has made no statements about reorganisation of royal properties, or where he might choose to live.

I can definitely see Charles and Camilla retaining Clarence House as their ”London Home” post-renovation while doing the daily business, audiences, receptions, State visits etc from Buckingham Palace…

What William and Catherine will do probably depends on when they cone to the throne and if their children have ”moved out” or still lives At home…
If their children still lives At home, i can see them keeping apartnent 1A at Kensington Palace as their London-home while doing the business from Buckingham Palace.

If their children have moved out, they won’t need to have a big apartment .. Maybe they will move to a smaller apartment at Kensington Palace (like Prince and Princess Michael of Kent’s current home) or move in at Buckingham Palace…

Clarence House will probably go to George… Unless Charles leaves it to the government or an organisation…

I think KP only has a limited future as a royal residence, and will probably be handed back to he government in the not too distant future.

I think KP only has a limited future as a royal residence, and will probably be handed back to he government in the not too distant future.

Yes I would think so too but possibly not until the reign of William V?

Yes I would think so too but possibly not until the reign of William V?

I think KP can go quite soon. The Wales' are rumoured to hardly ever use their aprtment there. The other royals (Duke of Kent, Prince Michael and the Duke of Gloucester) all reside in outbuildings to KP and not the main palace.

The offices of the Wales' could potentially be accomodated in a refurbiushed BP, or at St James' Palace.

If C&C move to BP, the Wales' could use Clarence House. Alternatively, if C&C remain at Clarence House long term, the Wales' could have an apartment at BP once the refurbishment is complete.

Back
Top Bottom